Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-24-07, 09:50 AM   #1
subsistbmx@hotm
Freewheelin'!
Thread Starter
 
subsistbmx@hotm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Chicago
Bikes: A big one
Posts: 280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Cork Brake Pads

Anyone ridden with cork brake pads ? I'm trying to get my hands on some..
subsistbmx@hotm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-07, 10:11 AM   #2
dutret
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: GA
Bikes:
Posts: 5,317
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
are you using carbon rims?
dutret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-07, 10:11 AM   #3
dirtyphotons
antisocialite
 
dirtyphotons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 3,385
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i got a follow up question.

carbon rims with aluminum braking surfaces (zipps, to be specific). normal pads or cork?
dirtyphotons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-07, 10:14 AM   #4
dutret
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: GA
Bikes:
Posts: 5,317
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
normal
I wonder if he couldn't resist the prominent lew racing ad thats been up for the past few weeks.
dutret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-07, 01:39 PM   #5
subsistbmx@hotm
Freewheelin'!
Thread Starter
 
subsistbmx@hotm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Chicago
Bikes: A big one
Posts: 280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i just want some cork pads to try out..is it that big of a deal ? and I couldn't find much of them. Thanks.
subsistbmx@hotm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-07, 05:01 PM   #6
endform
blacksheep the blemish
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Portland/Greendale
Bikes: 1973 Schwinn World Voyageur (manufactured by panasonic), Italvega Super Speciale (fixed, primary ride now), Kona 2004 JTS 10 spd
Posts: 1,063
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
They're not going to work as well, they are only used on carbon rims b/c they dissipate heat faster.
endform is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-07, 05:42 PM   #7
dutret
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: GA
Bikes:
Posts: 5,317
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Any high end shop should have them in stock. Why do you want to try them?
dutret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-07, 06:37 PM   #8
AfterThisNap
Taking "s" outta "Fast"
 
AfterThisNap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Zoo York City
Bikes:
Posts: 1,989
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by endform
They're not going to work as well, they are only used on carbon rims b/c they dissipate heat faster.
no, they dissipate heat much worse, they just dont eat carbon braking surfaces like a normal pad.
ZIPP makes a rubber pad for carbon rims, it's a little better, but let's face it, carbon resin is a pretty **itty braking surface to begin with. It can only get so good.
AfterThisNap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-07, 06:45 PM   #9
12XU
Dismount Run Remount etc.
 
12XU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Some Latitude and Some Longitude
Bikes: A couple customs and some beaters.
Posts: 2,235
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've never heard of anyone trying this but since they're developed for coated carbon surfaces, I'd image they would absorb aluminum slivers from a standard machined braking surface and thus last a far shorter period of time. In general, it sounds like an idea someone on this board would have and a solution for a problem that certainly doesn't exist. Just get some salmon kool stop pads and live your life.
12XU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-07, 12:33 AM   #10
vobopl
re:member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Cracow, Poland
Bikes: unknown make TT bike, fixed; Romet Sport, gone; titanium Pinarello gone;Colnago with Campy C-Record/Super Record,on it's way; Funny Gianni Motta; Buehler track, Polrad track chrome; titanium MTB on 28'', fixed; Tri Wheeler, fixed
Posts: 874
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfterThisNap
no, they dissipate heat much worse, they just dont eat carbon braking surfaces like a normal pad.
ZIPP makes a rubber pad for carbon rims, it's a little better, but let's face it, carbon resin is a pretty **itty braking surface to begin with. It can only get so good.
Yeah, right. From Wikipedia on F1 brakes:
Brakes
Brake discs on the Williams FW27.

Disc brakes consist of a rotor and caliper at each wheel. Expensive carbon-carbon (the same material used on the Space Shuttle) composite rotors - introduced by the Brabham team in 1976 - are used instead of steel or cast iron because of their superior frictional, thermal, and anti-warping properties, as well as significant weight savings.

You might want to search for airplane brakes as well.
vobopl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-07, 12:48 AM   #11
deathhare
:jarckass:
 
deathhare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Nashville
Bikes:
Posts: 6,562
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes, ive held a F1 brake rotor in my hand that was carbon fiber. Amazing ****.
deathhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-07, 08:33 AM   #12
polara426sh
Displaced Southerner
 
polara426sh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Webster, NY
Bikes: 1967 Peugeot UO-8, 1984 Torpado Beta, 1985 Trek 300, 1989 Dave Moulton Fuso FRX, '90s Hardrock x2, '90s Norco Pinnacle, Focus MB-350 IRO SSFGGB
Posts: 254
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The other side of that is that carbon carbon brakes don't work worth a damn when they're cold. You would never see brake temps on a bicycle high enough for carbon brakes to work even half as well as a traditional rim brake.
polara426sh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-07, 08:41 AM   #13
deathhare
:jarckass:
 
deathhare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Nashville
Bikes:
Posts: 6,562
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by polara426sh
The other side of that is that carbon carbon brakes don't work worth a damn when they're cold. You would never see brake temps on a bicycle high enough for carbon brakes to work even half as well as a traditional rim brake.

lol..you think regular bike brakes get hot while youre riding around not using them?
deathhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-07, 08:50 AM   #14
p3ntuprage
Senior Member
 
p3ntuprage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: birmingham
Bikes: a tvt soon to become a s/s...
Posts: 829
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i use them on aluminium rims purely because that's what came with the bike and i haven't worn them out yet.

if i squeeze hard enough i can still lift the rear [and endo into the back of a car if i squeeze too hard].

i guess that means they work.

quite frankly, braking is a can of worms. [even without the brake/brakless arguements].

fsnl
sparky
p3ntuprage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-07, 09:39 AM   #15
dmotoguy
Edificating
 
dmotoguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Portland
Bikes: Spooky + Sachs
Posts: 2,446
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vobopl
Yeah, right. From Wikipedia on F1 brakes:
Brakes
Brake discs on the Williams FW27.

Disc brakes consist of a rotor and caliper at each wheel. Expensive carbon-carbon (the same material used on the Space Shuttle) composite rotors - introduced by the Brabham team in 1976 - are used instead of steel or cast iron because of their superior frictional, thermal, and anti-warping properties, as well as significant weight savings.

You might want to search for airplane brakes as well.
You need to research bike brakes a little more... lol

The carbon braking surface on F1 brakes and the surface on carbon bike wheels is totally different.
I have carbon wheels on my road bike and I've used cork pads and zipp pads (made by koolstop)

Stick with normal pads on alum rims, cork really sucks on it and zipps only kinda suck on it.

braking on carbon rims is ****tier all the time.. no matter what. it just doesnt have the same feel.
dmotoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-07, 10:20 AM   #16
wroomwroomoops
Sir Fallalot
 
wroomwroomoops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Bikes:
Posts: 5,275
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am grateful to subsistbmx for bringing up this thread. I wasn't aware such brakepads existed. I will now switch all my bikes to such pads (I hope to find them for cantis as well). That's because I am big on environment friendliness. With the Nokian "Deserve Them" environ friendly tires, I am improving my environ footprint.

It would be nice if chains and sprockets were made of some environment-friendly steel alloy. To be honest, simple carbon steel would be the most acceptable. I wonder if any bike-part company focuses on such issues.



I know, I know, by all western standards, I am crazy.
wroomwroomoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-07, 10:39 AM   #17
vobopl
re:member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Cracow, Poland
Bikes: unknown make TT bike, fixed; Romet Sport, gone; titanium Pinarello gone;Colnago with Campy C-Record/Super Record,on it's way; Funny Gianni Motta; Buehler track, Polrad track chrome; titanium MTB on 28'', fixed; Tri Wheeler, fixed
Posts: 874
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmotoguy
You need to research bike brakes a little more... lol

The carbon braking surface on F1 brakes and the surface on carbon bike wheels is totally different.
I have carbon wheels on my road bike and I've used cork pads and zipp pads (made by koolstop)

Stick with normal pads on alum rims, cork really sucks on it and zipps only kinda suck on it.

braking on carbon rims is ****tier all the time.. no matter what. it just doesnt have the same feel.
I do not think so.
I was referring to this general statement:
"carbon resin is a pretty **itty braking surface to begin with"
vobopl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-07, 10:52 AM   #18
dutret
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: GA
Bikes:
Posts: 5,317
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wroomwroomoops
I am grateful to subsistbmx for bringing up this thread. I wasn't aware such brakepads existed. I will now switch all my bikes to such pads (I hope to find them for cantis as well). That's because I am big on environment friendliness. With the Nokian "Deserve Them" environ friendly tires, I am improving my environ footprint.

It would be nice if chains and sprockets were made of some environment-friendly steel alloy. To be honest, simple carbon steel would be the most acceptable. I wonder if any bike-part company focuses on such issues.



I know, I know, by all western standards, I am crazy.
completely bat**** actually and not just by "western standards" whatever the **** that means. There is no reason to think that cork brakes are any more enviormentally friendly then all rubber ones on any level. This of course completely ignores the waste arising from cork pads(or high carbon steel parts) that have to be replaced more frequently.


I'm still curious as to why subsistbmx@hotmail.com "just wanted to try out cork pads". Please enlighten us.
dutret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-07, 03:42 PM   #19
12XU
Dismount Run Remount etc.
 
12XU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Some Latitude and Some Longitude
Bikes: A couple customs and some beaters.
Posts: 2,235
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutret
completely bat**** actually and not just by "western standards" whatever the **** that means. There is no reason to think that cork brakes are any more enviormentally friendly then all rubber ones on any level. This of course completely ignores the waste arising from cork pads(or high carbon steel parts) that have to be replaced more frequently.


I'm still curious as to why subsistbmx@hotmail.com "just wanted to try out cork pads". Please enlighten us.
Lighten up maaaaaaan, the cork trees just want to be a part of the hot fixed gurr action.
12XU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-07, 06:08 PM   #20
AfterThisNap
Taking "s" outta "Fast"
 
AfterThisNap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Zoo York City
Bikes:
Posts: 1,989
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vobopl
I do not think so.
I was referring to this general statement:
"carbon resin is a pretty **itty braking surface to begin with"

Yea, wikipedia is cool and all, but I paid through school by welding chassis in a race shop, in NASCAR country (yeehaw), and it's evident your understanding of carbon braking surfaces is, well, obviously internet based.

Long explanation short, carbon F1 rotors aren't the same as a zipp surface- not even close. The fibers in auto rotors are woven and bound with ceramics, not plastic resins like bike rims. Plus, in the larger racing picture, F1 cars favor huge weight savings over huge stopping power. They're high zoot, but not particularly "good".

In the bike realm, I'll let others chime in, again, with their experience, but I really doubt anyone riding 404s is going to rave about stopping power with cork pads. Again, it's about application. Road racing brakes only need to stop so well.
AfterThisNap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-07, 06:55 PM   #21
Learn_not2burn
Biggity-bam
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: West Lafayette IN, Ann Arbor MI
Bikes: Pista Concept, Fetish beater, Fuji road
Posts: 698
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfterThisNap
Yea, wikipedia is cool and all, but I paid through school by welding chassis in a race shop, in NASCAR country (yeehaw), and it's evident your understanding of carbon braking surfaces is, well, obviously internet based.

Long explanation short, carbon F1 rotors aren't the same as a zipp surface- not even close. The fibers in auto rotors are woven and bound with ceramics, not plastic resins like bike rims. Plus, in the larger racing picture, F1 cars favor huge weight savings over huge stopping power. They're high zoot, but not particularly "good".
AfterThisNap you sound like a cool dude. Entire time I was reading this thread I was about to type both of your responses before I read them. Mind if I ask you what you do now?
Learn_not2burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-07, 07:52 PM   #22
roadgator
raodmaster shaman
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: G-ville
Bikes:
Posts: 1,431
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wroomwroomoops
I am grateful to subsistbmx for bringing up this thread. I wasn't aware such brakepads existed. I will now switch all my bikes to such pads (I hope to find them for cantis as well). That's because I am big on environment friendliness. With the Nokian "Deserve Them" environ friendly tires, I am improving my environ footprint.

It would be nice if chains and sprockets were made of some environment-friendly steel alloy. To be honest, simple carbon steel would be the most acceptable. I wonder if any bike-part company focuses on such issues.



I know, I know, by all western standards, I am crazy.

last i heard cork trees were becoming endangered from over harvesting. hell, harvesting rubber doesn't even kill the tree...

cant you just be happy with all the gas you arent using?
roadgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-07, 08:24 PM   #23
marqueemoon
or tarckeemoon, depending
 
marqueemoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: the pesto of cities
Bikes: Davidson Impulse, Merckx Titanium AX, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road, Cross Check custom build, On-One Il Pomino, Shawver Cycles cross, Zion 737, Mercian Vincitore, Brompton S1L, Charge Juicer
Posts: 7,020
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In one of the TDF histories I read it mentioned that riders would often switch to cork pads for the mountain stages because the compounds being used for the normal pads tended to catch fire on the descents.
marqueemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-07, 08:38 PM   #24
endform
blacksheep the blemish
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Portland/Greendale
Bikes: 1973 Schwinn World Voyageur (manufactured by panasonic), Italvega Super Speciale (fixed, primary ride now), Kona 2004 JTS 10 spd
Posts: 1,063
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yeah, I was confusing what I had read. I was reading why one carbon specific brake pad was better than another b/c it transferred heat better.
endform is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-07, 10:46 PM   #25
polara426sh
Displaced Southerner
 
polara426sh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Webster, NY
Bikes: 1967 Peugeot UO-8, 1984 Torpado Beta, 1985 Trek 300, 1989 Dave Moulton Fuso FRX, '90s Hardrock x2, '90s Norco Pinnacle, Focus MB-350 IRO SSFGGB
Posts: 254
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathhare
lol..you think regular bike brakes get hot while youre riding around not using them?
Nope. Nor did I imply that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfterThisNap
Plus, in the larger racing picture, F1 cars favor huge weight savings over huge stopping power. They're high zoot, but not particularly "good".
When carbon brakes reach their proper operating temperature they have a higher coefficient of friction than any metal rotor does. Saving rotational weight is just a bonus.
polara426sh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:51 PM.