Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28
  1. #1
    SiteMod wheelsucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Madtown
    My Bikes
    Mark V,DeBernardi
    Posts
    157
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Messenger Bag Modification

    I have been using a Chrome bike bag for some time now but that damn car seat belt buckle thing is ridiculous. Is there anyone in San Francisco that could modify(remove crappy buckle) this bag and replace the stock buckle with an aluminum aircraft buckle? Thanks for the info.

  2. #2
    Senior Member cosmo starr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    498
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    haha

  3. #3
    out of shape
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    va
    Posts
    1,456
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck getting an aircraft buckle. I contacted Am-Safe (who is the OEM for most commercial and private aircraft restraints) and was told they don't sell to the public, and not for non-aviation use.

    If you have a hookup, though, please PM me.

  4. #4
    SiteMod wheelsucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Madtown
    My Bikes
    Mark V,DeBernardi
    Posts
    157
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "HaHa"; That is a great reply...

  5. #5
    Instigator at best kjohnnytarr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Columbia, Missouri
    My Bikes
    Motobecane Jury
    Posts
    1,086
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelsucker
    I have been using a Chrome bike bag for some time now but that damn car seat belt buckle thing is ridiculous. Is there anyone in San Francisco that could modify(remove crappy buckle) this bag and replace the stock buckle with an aluminum aircraft buckle? Thanks for the info.

    I've seen trendy-type girls belts with mock-airline buckles. Look into that.
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshFrank View Post
    (By icing I mean puke and by cake I mean Lexus)
    Bikes: Flannigan, Finn Mac, Tim Finnegan, Nicholai Ivanich
    Words: Going Underground, Pedicabs After Dark, Thanksgiving Via The KATY Trail

  6. #6
    SiteMod wheelsucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Madtown
    My Bikes
    Mark V,DeBernardi
    Posts
    157
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chase.
    Good luck getting an aircraft buckle. I contacted Am-Safe (who is the OEM for most commercial and private aircraft restraints) and was told they don't sell to the public, and not for non-aviation use.

    If you have a hookup, though, please PM me.
    Chase,

    I think I found our buckle...

    HTTP://www.amazon.com/Airline-Seatbe.../dp/B000EPKL14

  7. #7
    Tie me up, Tie me down
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    The Brown Beast
    Posts
    843
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kjohnnytarr
    I've seen trendy-type girls belts with mock-airline buckles. Look into that.
    I wouldn't trust one of those with any sort of real load. I have a belt sans buckle to prove it too after a gregarious drunken evening with a lady.

  8. #8
    SiteMod wheelsucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Madtown
    My Bikes
    Mark V,DeBernardi
    Posts
    157
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelsucker
    Chase,

    I think I found our buckle...

    HTTP://www.amazon.com/Airline-Seatbe.../dp/B000EPKL14

    Now I need someone with the machine capable of making the modification....

  9. #9
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    658
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelsucker
    Now I need someone with the machine capable of making the modification....
    its called a sewing machine. lots of "scene" girls are into "diy" clothes and the like. make firneds with one any your golden. and you might get some nookie out of it too.

  10. #10
    Dude. Natron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Philadelphia
    My Bikes
    Surly Cross-Check, Specialized Langster Pro
    Posts
    400
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HI GUYS I need to be different please help me thanks!

  11. #11
    photographic pig big dane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    milwacky
    My Bikes
    04 bianchi pista, 93 trek 2100
    Posts
    134
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why'd you get a Chrome bag if you dislike the seatbelt buckle? They're durable and **** yeah but there are plenty of other just as good bag companies that sell bags without a buckle like that...

  12. #12
    Banned. dommer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    south philadelphia
    Posts
    445
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i used an airplane buckle on the last bag i made. and it cost me 5 bucks at a surplus store. dont spend 30 bucks on that.

  13. #13
    SiteMod wheelsucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Madtown
    My Bikes
    Mark V,DeBernardi
    Posts
    157
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goldener
    its called a sewing machine. lots of "scene" girls are into "diy" clothes and the like. make firneds with one any your golden. and you might get some nookie out of it too.
    First off, there are different styles of sewing machines(home,industrial). I don't think there are many people with industrial sewing machines lying around the house. Your common home sewing machines I don't believe are capable of stitching a solid stitch through a thick strap but what do i know. I wasn't in the home ec crowd.

  14. #14
    SiteMod wheelsucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Madtown
    My Bikes
    Mark V,DeBernardi
    Posts
    157
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by big dane
    Why'd you get a Chrome bag if you dislike the seatbelt buckle? They're durable and **** yeah but there are plenty of other just as good bag companies that sell bags without a buckle like that...
    It was free...That is good enough for me.

  15. #15
    SiteMod wheelsucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Madtown
    My Bikes
    Mark V,DeBernardi
    Posts
    157
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Natron
    HI GUYS I need to be different please help me thanks!
    People who reply like this amuse me, seriously... Thank god your from the city of LOVE.

  16. #16
    Tie me up, Tie me down
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    The Brown Beast
    Posts
    843
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelsucker
    First off, there are different styles of sewing machines(home,industrial). I don't think there are many people with industrial sewing machines lying around the house. Your common home sewing machines I don't believe are capable of stitching a solid stitch through a thick strap but what do i know. I wasn't in the home ec crowd.
    You can think that about industrial sewing machines, and on this board you'd be wrong.

  17. #17
    what. kyle!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    SD, CA, USA
    My Bikes
    raleigh rush hour
    Posts
    1,276
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    isn't the chrome store in sf? i know they don't really do custom stuff but why not stop in there and see if they can do anything?


    granted they still make the bags in sf. i don't know a whole lot about shtuff.

  18. #18
    Dude. Natron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Philadelphia
    My Bikes
    Surly Cross-Check, Specialized Langster Pro
    Posts
    400
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelsucker
    People who reply like this amuse me, seriously... Thank god your from the city of LOVE.
    People who ask bicycling website about how to make a bag they use to carry things customized to be different and unique make me laugh heartily.

  19. #19
    Paste Taster Retem's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Denver, Co
    My Bikes
    1970's kobe, Jury Bike, Dahon Boardwalk S1, Moto Outcast 29, Scrambler v3
    Posts
    4,390
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would talk to adam at zugster(flipinhades) about it he could probably do something I like cam locks myself
    I am dyslexic so bear with my posts.... [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  20. #20
    Glorified Blender mikearena's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    686
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might be able to attach it with a home sewing machine. Just use a heavy needle (maybe 16? - one made for denim or something) and heavier thread (upholstery or button&craft). You'll probably want to increase the tension on the machine just a bit. I doubt you'll be able to sew through the shoulder pad though, so you might run into some problems there. Good luck.

  21. #21
    Shiftless bum cavit8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario
    My Bikes
    Ciocc fixed, Raleigh record winter bike, Bianchi Grizzly SS, Pinarello Surprise, Raleigh Twenty, Bridgestone Picnica, various sundry bits and pieces...
    Posts
    2,674
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most cobblers will have big ass machines that can easily punch webbing but more importantly, use heavier thread than most domestic machines can handle. My wee Singer Featherweight can handle straps no problem but it doesn't like large diameter thread at all, at all. You could always do it by hand if you're really bored but because you might need a sailor's palm, depending on the strap thickness, its probably cheaper to get someone else to do it with a machine. Pick out the stitches yourself, take your Al clip (whether from surplus or ebay) and get them to fire it on for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by operator
    truneo that tuned park internal nipple wrench work ??

  22. #22
    Senior Member jimmy_jazz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Decatur, GA
    My Bikes
    1985 Bridgestone 450, 1992 Trek 930 (SS Conversion), 2005 Bianchi Pista
    Posts
    195
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a friend in high school who just stole a couple seatbelts off a plane and attached them to his backpack.


    I wouldn't recommend that, though.

  23. #23
    Banned. dommer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    south philadelphia
    Posts
    445
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yea i mean i used a cheap machine from target to sew all the bags ive made so far. like mike said, leather/denim needle and some upholstery thread and a regular machine could work. tighten thread tension on the top thread and bobbin thread and just take it slow.

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    Posts
    261
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put electrical tape on mine so drunks don't push the button. I honestly don't know why they have them on there... I never use it.

  25. #25
    Paste Taster Retem's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Denver, Co
    My Bikes
    1970's kobe, Jury Bike, Dahon Boardwalk S1, Moto Outcast 29, Scrambler v3
    Posts
    4,390
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikearena
    You might be able to attach it with a home sewing machine. Just use a heavy needle (maybe 16? - one made for denim or something) and heavier thread (upholstery or button&craft). You'll probably want to increase the tension on the machine just a bit. I doubt you'll be able to sew through the shoulder pad though, so you might run into some problems there. Good luck.
    it is possible if you hand turn it but otherwise good luck
    I would use and 18
    I am dyslexic so bear with my posts.... [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •