Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-16-07, 09:32 AM   #1
johnprolly
prolly is not probably
Thread Starter
 
johnprolly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: brooklyn | NYC
Bikes:
Posts: 1,117
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
KHS Pursuit anyone?

So I just got my KHS pursuit frame in the mail.

57cm - great condition, powdercoated black.

Anyone else have one of these? I'm interested in seeing what everyone's builds look like. I've tracked a few down on Velospace and Flickr, but wanted to see what was out there in the BF world.

Also, does anyone run 170mm cranks on these? I was thinking 165mm would be best, but I've been told 170mm has enough clearance.

Thanks!
johnprolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-07, 09:38 AM   #2
dutret
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: GA
Bikes:
Posts: 5,317
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If it truly is a pursuit frame then I retract what I said earlier. While mass start track geometry has a higher bb to avoid pedal strikes pursuit bikes usually have lower ones.
dutret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-07, 10:01 AM   #3
johnprolly
prolly is not probably
Thread Starter
 
johnprolly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: brooklyn | NYC
Bikes:
Posts: 1,117
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's a 700c x 700c pursuit

My Dark Throne


I'm guessing the best way to tell would be to throw the wheelset on it and measure the clearance.... 165 is probably the safest bet.
johnprolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-07, 10:14 AM   #4
andypants
20-Something Desk Jockey
 
andypants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tallahassee
Bikes:
Posts: 543
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I honestly haven't noticed much difference in clearance between the two. 5mm has not saved me any toeverlap, and I'm fine with that.
andypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-07, 10:19 AM   #5
cassette
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 359
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnprolly
It's a 700c x 700c pursuit

My Dark Throne


I'm guessing the best way to tell would be to throw the wheelset on it and measure the clearance.... 165 is probably the safest bet.

you could always rock some 167.5's
cassette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-07, 10:40 AM   #6
johnprolly
prolly is not probably
Thread Starter
 
johnprolly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: brooklyn | NYC
Bikes:
Posts: 1,117
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks guys.
johnprolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-07, 10:52 AM   #7
cassette
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 359
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i almost got that frame...you got a good deal on it with that BIN. Good score/luck
cassette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-07, 11:07 AM   #8
ch0mb0
switching to guns
 
ch0mb0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: kings county, nyc
Bikes: allez fuji tracku nishiki TT GT KHS arrow Miner 29'er CIOCC Corsair and now a f*cking awesome waterford skeet velo
Posts: 1,968
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
interesting color choice good luck with the new frame - I'll see it on the streets sooner or later

I went with 165's on my KHS and have since replaced the GR-9's with clipless. Not much of an overlap issue now, but it gave me a whole lotta trouble at the start.





congrats




ch0mb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-07, 11:10 AM   #9
newnoise
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: portland, or
Bikes: Bridgestone Grand Velo Track
Posts: 144
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
these bikes are really nice looking. do they ride nicely? I think I want one.
newnoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-07, 11:22 AM   #10
luvthemas
(Uploader)
 
luvthemas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: SF, CA
Bikes: KHS Pursuit, Pink Soma Cross
Posts: 253
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have wanted one of those for so long, grrr. That will be a fun build.
luvthemas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-07, 11:28 AM   #11
Retem
Paste Taster
 
Retem's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Sacramento, CA
Bikes: , Jury Bike, Moto Outcast 29, Spicer standard track frame and spicer custom steel sprint frame.
Posts: 4,392
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
yeah the older flite 100 with the forward sloping top tube as a rad bike
Retem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-07, 12:23 PM   #12
jayrooney
some dude
 
jayrooney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NYC
Bikes:
Posts: 797
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
mine came with 170's and besides the toe overlap they're fine.
even with 165's there would still be toe overlap.
pics later.
jayrooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-07, 12:46 PM   #13
dutret
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: GA
Bikes:
Posts: 5,317
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retem
yeah the older flite 100 with the forward sloping top tube as a rad bike

Oh I thought we were talking about some sort of pursuit bike not just a track bike with a sloping tt. I retract my retraction

AND YET A-****ING-GAIN

A sloping tt(or different sized wheels)does not a pursuit bike make!

Last edited by dutret; 04-16-07 at 01:01 PM.
dutret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-07, 12:49 PM   #14
johnprolly
prolly is not probably
Thread Starter
 
johnprolly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: brooklyn | NYC
Bikes:
Posts: 1,117
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch0mb0
interesting color choice good luck with the new frame - I'll see it on the streets sooner or later

I went with 165's on my KHS and have since replaced the GR-9's with clipless. Not much of an overlap issue now, but it gave me a whole lotta trouble at the start.





congrats



What size is that frame? How tall are you? This is gonna be a tad bit smaller than my current setup, but nothing that a 100mm stem can't take care of.

Yeah, I'm leaning to the 165's. Hope to get them powdercoated neon yellow along with the seatpost and bars. Maybe this graphic incorporated on it somewhere as well...



I'll see you around I'm sure.
johnprolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-07, 01:08 PM   #15
cassette
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 359
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutret
Oh I thought we were talking about some sort of pursuit bike not just a track bike with a sloping tt. I retract my retraction

AND YET A-****ING-GAIN

A sloping tt(or different sized wheels)does not a pursuit bike make!

i want to see a picture of your face
cassette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-07, 01:14 PM   #16
dutret
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: GA
Bikes:
Posts: 5,317
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassette
i want to see a picture of your face
what does my face have to do with turning a functional description into one purely based on hipster style.

Claiming everything that sort of looks like an 80's pursuit frame is a "pursuit bike" is stupid. Most pursuit frames don't look like that and plenty of things that aren't pursuit frames have.
dutret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-07, 01:17 PM   #17
queerpunk
aka mattio
 
queerpunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 5,961
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
claiming that any misinformation or improper use of nomenclature by people who you assume to be new riders has anything to do with "hipsters" is also pretty stupid, D.

however, i don't know much about the functional differences between, oh, let's call it "traditional track geometry" and pursuit frames. what's the diff, and what function does it serve?
queerpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-07, 01:27 PM   #18
goldenskeletons
dan bones!
 
goldenskeletons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: brooklyn
Bikes: iro mark v for street, sh itamori peloton for track
Posts: 887
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassette
i want to see a picture of your face


oh man, same here!
goldenskeletons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-07, 01:28 PM   #19
Danhalen
Senior Member
 
Danhalen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Toronto
Bikes: Urbanite Road Bike, Mielle Fixed Gear Conversion, Vintage Lejeune Track Bike
Posts: 1,025
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutret
AND YET A-****ING-GAIN

A sloping tt(or different sized wheels)does not a pursuit bike make!
Thank god you clarified that in time. This really is something worth getting angry about.
Danhalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-07, 01:30 PM   #20
dutret
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: GA
Bikes:
Posts: 5,317
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by queerpunk
claiming that any misinformation or improper use of nomenclature by people who you assume to be new riders has anything to do with "hipsters" is also pretty stupid, D.

however, i don't know much about the functional differences between, oh, let's call it "traditional track geometry" and pursuit frames. what's the diff, and what function does it serve?
Sorry but idolizing pointless **** like downwards sloping tts and different sized wheels as "pursuit" is purely hipster style. It is bike hipsters who have driven up the prices on some of the more distinctive though outdated pursuit designs and now it's more who cause the word to be stuck on anything in the hope that some dumb hipster will buy it so he can say he has a pursuit bike.

They purpose of a pursuit bike should be self explanatory. It's for racing pursuits. It will be designed for the requirements of that discipline(mainly aerodynamics and not turning).
dutret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-07, 01:32 PM   #21
ch0mb0
switching to guns
 
ch0mb0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: kings county, nyc
Bikes: allez fuji tracku nishiki TT GT KHS arrow Miner 29'er CIOCC Corsair and now a f*cking awesome waterford skeet velo
Posts: 1,968
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnprolly
What size is that frame? How tall are you? This is gonna be a tad bit smaller than my current setup, but nothing that a 100mm stem can't take care of.

Yeah, I'm leaning to the 165's. Hope to get them powdercoated neon yellow along with the seatpost and bars. Maybe this graphic incorporated on it somewhere as well...

its a 57 frame, I'm 6ft. 100 stem.




ch0mb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-07, 01:32 PM   #22
dutret
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: GA
Bikes:
Posts: 5,317
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danhalen
Thank god you clarified that in time. This really is something worth getting angry about.
If it was the first time I had clarified it it wouldn't have been bold or big.
dutret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-07, 01:39 PM   #23
ch0mb0
switching to guns
 
ch0mb0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: kings county, nyc
Bikes: allez fuji tracku nishiki TT GT KHS arrow Miner 29'er CIOCC Corsair and now a f*cking awesome waterford skeet velo
Posts: 1,968
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutret
Sorry but idolizing pointless **** like downwards sloping tts and different sized wheels as "pursuit" is purely hipster style. It is bike hipsters who have driven up the prices on some of the more distinctive though outdated pursuit designs and now it's more who cause the word to be stuck on anything in the hope that some dumb hipster will buy it so he can say he has a pursuit bike.

that may just be the case down by you from what I hear.
but many people around here are far too lazy to invest in pursuitish frames and the like

it's the sloping tt, they complain of it hurting their backs.
ch0mb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-07, 01:42 PM   #24
andypants
20-Something Desk Jockey
 
andypants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tallahassee
Bikes:
Posts: 543
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch0mb0
it's the sloping tt, they complain of it hurting their backs.
Doesn't seem to be too comfortable to me either. I guess we're all in pursuit of something different.


sorry.
andypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-07, 01:43 PM   #25
rattlecan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ok so who can tell what a pursuit frame is or isnt
rattlecan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:59 PM.