Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-30-07, 02:50 PM   #1
Tadashi
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 266
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Taking off a freewheel

My bike has a flip-flop hub, it has a fixed gear on one side and a freewheel on the other. The thing is, I never use the freewheel, and what's more it moves when I ride and therefore makes noise. How can I get rid of it? And if I take it off, can I put one more fixed gear in place of it?

Here's the pic of my hub:
Tadashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-07, 02:56 PM   #2
Dr. Bill
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 92
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadashi
My bike has a flip-flop hub, it has a fixed gear on one side and a freewheel on the other. The thing is, I never use the freewheel, and what's more it moves when I ride and therefore makes noise. How can I get rid of it? And if I take it off, can I put one more fixed gear in place of it?

Here's the pic of my hub:

Get a four-prong BMX freewheel remover and remove the offending freewheel. Shimano, Park, etc. make them. You can put another fixed cog on in place of it, BUT . . . your hub may be fixed/free, in which case you won't be able to use a lockring with the fixed cog on the "free" side. If you have brakes, that may not be a problem. If you don't have brakes, I would not recommend riding a cog without a lockring on the street. Hope this helps.

Dr. Bill
Dr. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-07, 03:04 PM   #3
Tadashi
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 266
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for the fast reply!

How much is this remover? And how do I check if I can put a lockring on this side of hub or not?
Tadashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-07, 03:12 PM   #4
el twe
crotchety young dude
 
el twe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: SF, CA
Bikes: IRO Angus; Casati Gold Line; Redline 925; '72 Schwinn Olympic Paramount
Posts: 4,818
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The tool costs about $9 USD, or you can take it to a shop and they'll do it for pretty cheap. The lockring threads are smaller and reverse threaded. If you take it off and there are two sets of different threads on the hub, you can safely put another fixed cog on.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardiacKid View Post
I explained that he could never pay me enough cash for the amount of work I had put into that bike and the only way to compensate me for it was to ride the hell out of it.
IRO Angus Casati Gold Line
el twe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-07, 03:15 PM   #5
Tadashi
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 266
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks. I'll probably buy the tool then, I may need it in the future.
Tadashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-07, 03:31 PM   #6
Tadashi
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 266
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I looked it up at Yahoo Japan and I'm a bit confused. Can you tell me which one I need? They are quite different.
http://store.yahoo.co.jp/atomic-cycle/4-pa-fr-6c.html
http://store.yahoo.co.jp/atomic-cycle/4-pa-fr-8c.html
http://store.yahoo.co.jp/thepowerful/fr-3c.html
Tadashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-07, 03:35 PM   #7
operator
cab horn
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Toronto
Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione
Posts: 28,306
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by el twe
The tool costs about $9 USD, or you can take it to a shop and they'll do it for pretty cheap. The lockring threads are smaller and reverse threaded. If you take it off and there are two sets of different threads on the hub, you can safely put another fixed cog on.
Yeah. They'll probably charge you $9 USD to do it for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadashi
I looked it up at Yahoo Japan and I'm a bit confused. Can you tell me which one I need? They are quite different.
http://store.yahoo.co.jp/atomic-cycle/4-pa-fr-6c.html
http://store.yahoo.co.jp/atomic-cycle/4-pa-fr-8c.html
http://store.yahoo.co.jp/thepowerful/fr-3c.html
You can help us help you by telling us what is written on your freewheel. You most likely need the FR-8 which is the 4 prong the other poster described.

Last edited by operator; 06-30-07 at 03:40 PM.
operator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-07, 03:53 PM   #8
Tadashi
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 266
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It says "main drive 1/2 x 1/8 (c5)".
Tadashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-07, 04:43 PM   #9
operator
cab horn
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Toronto
Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione
Posts: 28,306
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Take your rear wheel out and get a face on photo of the freewheel.
operator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-07, 04:45 PM   #10
deathhare
:jarckass:
 
deathhare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Nashville
Bikes:
Posts: 6,562
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
just get some shop to take it off.
deathhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-07, 05:00 PM   #11
Tadashi
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 266
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathhare
just get some shop to take it off.
You know Tokyo, what shop can offer such service? It's pretty ss/fg specific, I guess. A guy at my LBS shop (mostly a mamachari one) said that the only way to take it off is to destroy it. Fool.
Tadashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-07, 05:11 PM   #12
deathhare
:jarckass:
 
deathhare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Nashville
Bikes:
Posts: 6,562
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What an idiot shop.
What area you live in?..i can probably suggest a shop to go to.
deathhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-07, 05:12 PM   #13
Tadashi
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 266
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathhare
What an idiot shop.
What area you live in?..i can probably suggest a shop to go to.
I live in Nakano-ku, near Nogata station.
Tadashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-07, 05:18 PM   #14
deathhare
:jarckass:
 
deathhare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Nashville
Bikes:
Posts: 6,562
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Either of the Y's shops in Shinjuku arent that far away and will be able to do it for you. You know those shops?
Shinjuku 3 chome
deathhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-07, 05:23 PM   #15
Tadashi
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 266
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathhare
Either of the Y's shops in Shinjuku arent that far away and will be able to do it for you. You know those shops?
Shinjuku 3 chome
Joker and Maniac? Yeah, I know them. About how much will they charge me? I heard their service is expensive.
Tadashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-07, 05:24 PM   #16
operator
cab horn
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Toronto
Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione
Posts: 28,306
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathhare
What an idiot shop.
What area you live in?..i can probably suggest a shop to go to.
It's not an idiot shop. There are some freewheels that do not accept ANY tool to take it off. I don't know why you would advocate bringing it to a shop when one picture of the freewheel would game over this thread.
operator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-07, 05:30 PM   #17
bonechilling
Run What 'Ya Brung
 
bonechilling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 5,694
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by operator
It's not an idiot shop. There are some freewheels that do not accept ANY tool to take it off. I don't know why you would advocate bringing it to a shop when one picture of the freewheel would game over this thread.
Do you mean like the freewheel in the picture at the top
of the page? The one that appears to takes the 4-prong
BMX-style freewheel remover?
bonechilling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-07, 05:31 PM   #18
deathhare
:jarckass:
 
deathhare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Nashville
Bikes:
Posts: 6,562
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadashi
Joker and Maniac? Yeah, I know them. About how much will they charge me? I heard their service is expensive.
Yes, the same shop.
I highly doubt theyd charge you more than 1000 for this. Depending on if they have to take off your wheel.
deathhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-07, 05:32 PM   #19
deathhare
:jarckass:
 
deathhare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Nashville
Bikes:
Posts: 6,562
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by operator
It's not an idiot shop. There are some freewheels that do not accept ANY tool to take it off. I don't know why you would advocate bringing it to a shop when one picture of the freewheel would game over this thread.
Its very obvious what kind of freewheel it is. Look at the picture. That freewheel is easily removed with a standard 4 prong tool.
deathhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-07, 05:34 PM   #20
Tadashi
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 266
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathhare
Yes, the same shop.
I highly doubt theyd charge you more than 1000 for this. Depending on if they have to take off your wheel.
I can take off my wheel myself, lol.

Well if it's that cheap, then I'll pay them a visit, I guess.
Tadashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-07, 05:35 PM   #21
deathhare
:jarckass:
 
deathhare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Nashville
Bikes:
Posts: 6,562
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadashi
I can take off my wheel myself, lol.

Well if it's that cheap, then I'll pay them a visit, I guess.

And probably if you took just the wheel into Carnival (in shibuya) id say they would pull off the freehweel for free.
Theyve changed cogs for me for free before.
deathhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-07, 05:37 PM   #22
Tadashi
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 266
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathhare
And probably if you took just the wheel into Carnival (in shibuya) id say they would pull off the freehweel for free.
Theyve changed cogs for me for free before.
Carnival? I don't know that shop.
Tadashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-07, 05:40 PM   #23
deathhare
:jarckass:
 
deathhare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Nashville
Bikes:
Posts: 6,562
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadashi
Carnival? I don't know that shop.
its a fixed gear shop between harajuku station and shibuya station right off meiji dori. I can get you a map if you wanna go there instead.
deathhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-07, 05:41 PM   #24
el twe
crotchety young dude
 
el twe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: SF, CA
Bikes: IRO Angus; Casati Gold Line; Redline 925; '72 Schwinn Olympic Paramount
Posts: 4,818
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
They make cool YouTube videos. That's all I know about them.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardiacKid View Post
I explained that he could never pay me enough cash for the amount of work I had put into that bike and the only way to compensate me for it was to ride the hell out of it.
IRO Angus Casati Gold Line
el twe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-07, 05:45 PM   #25
Tadashi
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 266
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathhare
its a fixed gear shop between harajuku station and shibuya station right off meiji dori. I can get you a map if you wanna go there instead.
OK, give me the location on google maps, I can read Japanese.
Tadashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:09 AM.