Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: Paging mr white

  1. #1
    Senior Member yellowjeep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Lawrence
    Posts
    3,268
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Paging mr white

    mr white or anybody else, what kind of adapter is is on the disc on this bike?

    http://www.fixedgeargallery.com/2006...ndyWhite_2.htm


    I need some kind of freewheel to track adapter for my disc, I know that HED makes one but it lacks lockring threads (this will only be used on the track so i don't know if it makes a differnce, does it?) I know a guy at work has one that has set screws and is theaded for a lockring and he says it works great. I am looking for more options, any suggestions?

  2. #2
    70mm4$!n! freeskihp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    DC
    My Bikes
    Sworks E5, ritte Bosberg
    Posts
    1,757
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if its only on the track than no lockring is needed(no backpressure is applied)
    "The only reasons anyone should ever ride in the rain is because a) youíve had your license to operate a motor vehicle suspended by the state. b) youíre in a bike race in which case youíre not allowed to use fenders anyway. c) youíre from Portland- in which case my main problem is with your neck beard- not your bicycle...If you need to train when itís pissing rain- buy a trainer or one of those cheap charter flights to Mallorca."

  3. #3
    No plan. peabodypride's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    2,744
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by freeskihp
    if its only on the track than no lockring is needed(no backpressure is applied)
    The person in the link was a courier. Plenty of backpressure, I'd assume.

    I'm getting ahold of a HED Disc. It's threaded for a freewheel; I'll be making it a suicide hub with RED loctite and possibly also a bottom bracket lockring. For almost all uses this will be fine, including for backpedalling.

    The trade-off is that the red ain't ever coming off; if you need to replace the cog, you need to replace the whole axle assembly.

  4. #4
    park ranger
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    mars
    My Bikes
    recumbents
    Posts
    1,794
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i don't think that the red stuff is really that strong....not ever coming off...
    Quote Originally Posted by Malibu Police Chief
    I don't like your jerk-off name. I don't like your jerk-off face. I don't like your jerk-off behavior, and I don't like you, jerk-off.

  5. #5
    is probably wrong Dumpsterlife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    c-wood
    My Bikes
    Fuji Roubaix RC, Bianchi San Jose
    Posts
    499
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by peabodypride

    The trade-off is that the red ain't ever coming off; if you need to replace the cog, you need to replace the whole axle assembly.
    Thats what I thought too...it's not the case.

  6. #6
    Mo' Senior SSSasky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    My Bikes
    1984 Norco Monterey SL (Ishwata 3X butted), matte black, 42-15 fixed
    Posts
    371
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is considered to be a 'permanent' bond, requiring tools and 'localized heat' if it ever needs to come off.

    JB Weld would also be another 'permanent' option, although I'd prefer loctite because you could theoretically remove it later without damaging the wheel if you wanted.

    The one in the picture is probably the one your friend at the shop mentioned - it's obviously held in place with set screws. (edit: from the description, he rigged this up himself. maybe contact the gonz lab for details).

  7. #7
    Triathlon = Eat/Bike/Nap veggiemafia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Pixxxburgh, PA
    Posts
    1,100
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SSSasky
    It is considered to be a 'permanent' bond, requiring tools and 'localized heat' if it ever needs to come off.
    Reverse rotafix and a hair dryer should work out just fine for tools and localized heat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiznaz
    the bagina is the frame and the fork is the wangola. The wheels are the ass nipples.

  8. #8
    . blickblocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3,862
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by veggiemafia
    Reverse rotafix and a hair dryer should work out just fine for tools and localized heat.
    Red loctite needs to be raised above 300 degrees. A hair dryer isn't going to do ****.

    I still haven't installed my cog on my disc yet but I think loctite is my only option. I run brakes though.

    I just had an idea...what if I just run it with a freewheel??? I love riding fixed but I don't want to damage the wheel or my face.

  9. #9
    park ranger
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    mars
    My Bikes
    recumbents
    Posts
    1,794
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i've used red loctite on lots of nuts and bolts on cars and was always able to break them loose with a simple ratchet that is shorter than most chain whips...no air tools or heat or anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malibu Police Chief
    I don't like your jerk-off name. I don't like your jerk-off face. I don't like your jerk-off behavior, and I don't like you, jerk-off.

  10. #10
    Mo' Senior SSSasky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    My Bikes
    1984 Norco Monterey SL (Ishwata 3X butted), matte black, 42-15 fixed
    Posts
    371
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blickblocks
    Red loctite needs to be raised above 300 degrees. A hair dryer isn't going to do ****.

    I still haven't installed my cog on my disc yet but I think loctite is my only option. I run brakes though.

    I just had an idea...what if I just run it with a freewheel??? I love riding fixed but I don't want to damage the wheel or my face.

    OMG FREEWHEELZ FTW!

  11. #11
    ******. zephyr16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    winnipeg
    Posts
    275
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by blickblocksRed loctite needs to be raised above 300 degrees. A hair dryer isn't going to do ****.

    I still haven't installed my cog on my disc yet but I think loctite is my only option. I run brakes though.

    I just had an idea...what if I just run it with a freewheel??? I love riding fixed but I don't want to damage the wheel or my face.






    *****

  12. #12
    skinning up
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    cleveland
    Posts
    1,243
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    huh?^

  13. #13
    Senior Member filtersweep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2,615
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Then you aren't using it correctly. It helps if you have clean threads. I wouldn't run brakeless with a suicide hub, but I have never had any trouble with one.

    Quote Originally Posted by piwonka
    i've used red loctite on lots of nuts and bolts on cars and was always able to break them loose with a simple ratchet that is shorter than most chain whips...no air tools or heat or anything.

  14. #14
    Senior Member TimArchy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Atlanta
    My Bikes
    Zeus (Razesa) tarck, Giant TCR road, Eddy Merckx road, Fuji Touring Series IV for everything else
    Posts
    1,155
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've always thought JB Weld and a Miche cog carrier would be a good idea. The BB lockring only holds the cog onto the carrier, which takes all the pedaling forces.
    Never tried it though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh Frank
    I will derive power from their cries of despair. My crank a speedy dervish, spinning and spinning through the darkest night that anyone with the audacity to try and suck my wheel will ever see...

  15. #15
    ******. zephyr16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    winnipeg
    Posts
    275
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gargiulo.mike
    huh?^
    sorry, i didnt realize that pu$$y would be all stars

  16. #16
    skinning up
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    cleveland
    Posts
    1,243
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zephyr16
    sorry, i didnt realize that pu$$y would be all stars
    oh haha

  17. #17
    Walks with a limp dijos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    St Pete
    Posts
    1,341
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, his email is listed there. you could try emailing him.
    I am looking for a 52cm-ish lugged mixte or ladies frame. Pm if you got one.
    Quote Originally Posted by thebristolkid
    Last I checked, most college campuses were firmly attached to solid earth, which, in my experience, is typically adequate for riding a bicycle upon.

  18. #18
    oldsprinter oldsprinter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    935
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can get them from Sheldon Brown.

  19. #19
    Senior Member yellowjeep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Lawrence
    Posts
    3,268
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oldsprinter
    You can get them from Sheldon Brown.

    are they listed on his site because i cant seem to find it?

  20. #20
    Senior Member mrwhite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    away from home
    My Bikes
    11 track, one dualie and 3 ladies bikes.
    Posts
    660
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowjeep
    mr white or anybody else, what kind of adapter is is on the disc on this bike?

    http://www.fixedgeargallery.com/2006...ndyWhite_2.htm


    I need some kind of freewheel to track adapter for my disc, I know that HED makes one but it lacks lockring threads (this will only be used on the track so i don't know if it makes a differnce, does it?) I know a guy at work has one that has set screws and is theaded for a lockring and he says it works great. I am looking for more options, any suggestions?

    oops. hello.

    Gonz (LAB) machined it to accomodate two bolts either side which thread INTO the body. This was a permenant solution as I dont ever see a use for a freewheel, and I can change cogs easily. He also used blue loctite.

    Ive worked on it a lot, it's never coming off

    But im pretty slow so...

    ride safe.

  21. #21
    Senior Member yellowjeep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Lawrence
    Posts
    3,268
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So the whole thing is a custom job?

    Any chance Gonz LAB will make one for me ?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •