Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    266
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    What about velodromes in Tokyo?

    I would like to train on my track bikes on a track from time to time. Or just to try it and see what it's like.

    So, has anyone tried it? I heard, there's 2 velodromes in Tokyo, I don't know though if they are restricted to keirin races only or not. Can ordinary people use them as well? If so, how much is it?

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    oldsprinter oldsprinter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    935
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yokohama velodrome has racing for amateurs once a month. Not sure about the other tracks. All the Tokyo tracks are far from the city center.

  3. #3
    EMT
    EMT is offline
    Senior Member EMT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    392
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keio velodrome has occasional open-to-the-public things. It's not too far from you either (I seem to remember you weer in Nakano or Suginami somewhere, maybe wrong). I don't know if they do real amateur races.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    266
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EMT
    Keio velodrome has occasional open-to-the-public things. It's not too far from you either (I seem to remember you weer in Nakano or Suginami somewhere, maybe wrong). I don't know if they do real amateur races.
    I live in Nakano. Do you mean this one - www.keiokaku.com? They have only keirin races info on their site as I see.

    I just want to ride my bike on the track, just to try it, so I'm not interested in races yet, just training. Is it possible?

  5. #5
    EMT
    EMT is offline
    Senior Member EMT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    392
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah keiokaku, they have occasional open events

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    266
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EMT
    yeah keiokaku, they have occasional open events
    Ah, that's too bad. I need "regular", not "occasional" rides.

  7. #7
    :jarckass: deathhare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Nashville
    Posts
    6,563
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apparently Abiko has free ride days.
    Its also conviently located so you can go get treated like dirt at Makino nearby.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    266
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by deathhare
    Apparently Abiko has free ride days.
    Its also conviently located so you can go get treated like dirt at Makino nearby.
    Abiko? Where is it located?

  9. #9
    EMT
    EMT is offline
    Senior Member EMT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    392
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    in Abiko?

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    266
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know where it is. Can you give me a Google maps location?

  11. #11
    EMT
    EMT is offline
    Senior Member EMT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    392
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no time now, sorry---but if you cant find it on your map you just failed the bike messenger entrance exam.

    (assuming by `it' you mean abiko, otherwise disregard)

  12. #12
    Senior Member br995's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    New York
    My Bikes
    Makino (have the parts; not yet built), EAI Barekuckle, Unknown Japanese fixed conversion, Centurion Dave Scott Ironman road bike (frame), Secret project bike, 2007 Trek Madone 5.2, Cannondale Caad3 mountain bike
    Posts
    1,891
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The one in Kawasaki apparently has amature days, though I don't know how you would go about getting 'allowed' to ride.
    -----------------------------------------------
    Ride bikes, not other people's dreams.
    -Serendipper

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    266
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hm, Abiko in Chiba prefecture? Can anyone give me the address of that velodrome? And Kawasaki one too, please.

    And about getting 'allowed' to ride. Can't I just say "hey guz sup, may I ride with u?"

  14. #14
    Guest
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    3,242
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tadashi
    I don't know where it is. Can you give me a Google maps location?
    Abiko is on the Jobu line. Subway line Chiyoda becomes the Jobu line once it passes Ueno.

    Abiko is in Chiba prefecture.

    S/F,
    CEYA!

  15. #15
    Guest
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    3,242
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tadashi
    I live in Nakano. Do you mean this one - www.keiokaku.com? They have only keirin races info on their site as I see.

    I just want to ride my bike on the track, just to try it, so I'm not interested in races yet, just training. Is it possible?


    Im in your town alot , i may be moving there.

    Anyway try and hook up at a shop that has riders who can get you on the track.

    Tomity got me on Tachikawa velo which is closer to u any way. give him a ring.



    S/F,
    CEYA!

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    266
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceya
    Im in your town alot , i may be moving there.

    Anyway try and hook up at a shop that has riders who can get you on the track.

    Tomity got me on Tachikawa velo which is closer to u any way. give him a ring.



    S/F,
    CEYA!
    Who is Tomity? A keirin racer? How can I contact him?

    Sorry for many questions, I'm just new to all this, so any help is greatly appreciated.

  17. #17
    Guest
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    3,242
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tadashi
    Who is Tomity? A keirin racer? How can I contact him?

    Sorry for many questions, I'm just new to all this, so any help is greatly appreciated.

    you ain't that new anymore after your last couple of topics.

    Yes he is a keirin racer. so forget about contacting him for now. i will email him but he maybe racing.

    S/F,
    CEYA!

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    266
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How come I'm now new? I just have 2 decent track bikes and enjoy training on them. I don't have any contacts with racers here in Tokyo, nor do I know how the things work regarding velodromes and stuff. I only recently got serious about my riding and I want to improve my skills.

    Yes, it will be best if you e-mail him. Thanks.

  19. #19
    Guest
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    3,242
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tadashi
    How come I'm now new? I just have 2 decent track bikes and enjoy training on them. I don't have any contacts with racers here in Tokyo, nor do I know how the things work regarding velodromes and stuff. I only recently got serious about my riding and I want to improve my skills.

    Yes, it will be best if you e-mail him. Thanks.

    Your not a newbe because we are giving info, educating you, showing u and giving you points of reference.

    Once you have knowledge u are no longer a newbe. Now what u do with it , is up to u.


    what is your native language? i just want to make sure you fully understand what is being said.

    S/F,
    CEYA!

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    266
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceya
    Your not a newbe because we are giving info, educating you, showing u and giving you points of reference.

    Once you have knowledge u are no longer a newbe. Now what u do with it , is up to u.


    what is your native language? i just want to make sure you fully understand what is being said.

    S/F,
    CEYA!
    The thing is I don't have enough knowledge yet. I don't know where to start. How am I supposed to find a velodrome for my training? Google it? Give me a break

    And I DID ask at some bike shops about keirinjos. They said that the velodromes are restricted to keirin races only and therefore I won't be able to train there. So, that's why I need help.

    My English is good enough to comprehend everything that is being said here, no worries.

    And if you need to know my nationality, I'll tell you. I'm Russian (and I stated it in my first post on this forum).

  21. #21
    Guest
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    3,242
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tadashi
    The thing is I don't have enough knowledge yet. I don't know where to start. How am I supposed to find a velodrome for my training? Google it? Give me a break

    And I DID ask at some bike shops about keirinjos. They said that the velodromes are restricted to keirin races only and therefore I won't be able to train there. So, that's why I need help.

    My English is good enough to comprehend everything that is being said here, no worries.

    And if you need to know my nationality, I'll tell you. I'm Russian (and I stated it in my first post on this forum).

    Hold up there partner,

    I just want to make sure u get all the info. Now with that said.

    It is not u understanding the hearing aspect but your written words makes it seems that u may not get it all.

    If I feel that way, then i need to change up so that u fully understand.

    U have more knowledge now before u came here so don't short change yourself.

    Now with all that done with, it is hard to do a weekly thing at the velodrome in Japan as schools that have teams train on Keirin velos.

    Again i will contact Tomity and see what he can do to help.


    again go to the keirin builder' s shops . I gave two good contacts already. go back and see the names.



    S/F,
    CEYA!

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    266
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, I appreciate it.

    About keirin builders' shops. I'll visit Kalavinka shop very soon, I think. I need some parts and this shop is not far from me. I'll ask there about velodromes as well.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •