Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    CL bikes for conversion... worth it?

    I am thinking about picking up one or the other of these two CL bikes for a conversion to SS. Does anyone know anything about them? Has anyone converted one before? Asking $75 each

    Classic KHS
    Raleigh Wyoming

    Pics attached
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Senior Member barba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    4,083
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would wait for something better to come along.

  3. #3
    All around nice guy BRANDUNE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Sunny Seattle
    My Bikes
    THE KIND WITH TWO WHEELS AND ONE GEAR
    Posts
    1,742
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get the KHS just for those huuuuuge risers

  4. #4
    NJS my life! roughrider504's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    1,214
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Raleigh Wyoming is a cool bike. Needs a bit of work but still nice.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Saint Louis, MO
    My Bikes
    Motobecane fixed conversion, Faggin fixed conversion, '86 Raleigh Grand Prix
    Posts
    549
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are also different sizes by at least 6cm. They both look heavy and slow, though.

  6. #6
    *****es love tarck kemmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Sandy, UT
    My Bikes
    so many
    Posts
    3,303
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by littledjahn View Post
    They are also different sizes by at least 6cm. They both look heavy and slow, though.
    Beat me to it. If one of those bikes fits you, the other won't. You should buy the one that fits. The price is pretty good on both of those and they are good candidates for conversion. I don't think they "look heavy" by any means. The KHS looks like it's made of tange tubing, you could do a lot worse.

  7. #7
    seņor member seaneee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    yay area
    My Bikes
    Malvern Path Racer, Schwinn LeTour, Follis, Bridgestone 400 (RIP), concord 2sp
    Posts
    1,157
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    KHS were tange, there was definitely a range of good to nice, but in general KHS frames from that era were pretty descent. Also looks like it has alloy araya rims, probably 27's. The DT shifters are also clamp ons, so that will be a clean removal.

    The Raleigh looks like it might have steel rims, also weinmann centerpull brakes (KHS has sidepull, probably suntour).

    Overall, the KHS is a nicer bike with slightly better comp.

  8. #8
    Senior Member BeerBiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Redlands, CA
    My Bikes
    Cruzbike Silvio, Cruzbike Mtb Conversion, Raleigh Technium (converted to fixie)
    Posts
    202
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Raleigh is a touring frame, which means longer wheelbase, plusher ride. It looks big, though. like a 58 cm, if not bigger. Either would work for what you're doing.

    Mark

  9. #9
    redonkulous Rikardi151's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    West Philly
    My Bikes
    2001 GT GTB
    Posts
    837
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seaneee View Post
    KHS were tange, there was definitely a range of good to nice, but in general KHS frames from that era were pretty descent. Also looks like it has alloy araya rims, probably 27's. The DT shifters are also clamp ons, so that will be a clean removal.

    The Raleigh looks like it might have steel rims, also weinmann centerpull brakes (KHS has sidepull, probably suntour).

    Overall, the KHS is a nicer bike with slightly better comp.
    The raleigh has Al rims and sidepulls.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkWW
    I used to think I bought too many bike parts for the money I had. Now I think I don't have enough money for the bike parts I want.

  10. #10
    *****es love tarck kemmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Sandy, UT
    My Bikes
    so many
    Posts
    3,303
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seaneee View Post
    The Raleigh looks like it might have steel rims, also weinmann centerpull brakes (KHS has sidepull, probably suntour).
    Those brakes aren't centerpulls.

  11. #11
    *****es love tarck kemmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Sandy, UT
    My Bikes
    so many
    Posts
    3,303
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerBiker View Post
    The Raleigh is a touring frame, which means longer wheelbase, plusher ride. It looks big, though. like a 58 cm, if not bigger. Either would work for what you're doing.

    Mark
    What makes you think it's a touring frame? I admit I can't really tell by looking at a bike unless it has cantilever brakes. (even then, if it's newer it could be a CX bike)

  12. #12
    skinning up
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    cleveland
    Posts
    1,243
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    which one fits?

  13. #13
    Senior Member BeerBiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Redlands, CA
    My Bikes
    Cruzbike Silvio, Cruzbike Mtb Conversion, Raleigh Technium (converted to fixie)
    Posts
    202
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kemmer View Post
    What makes you think it's a touring frame? I admit I can't really tell by looking at a bike unless it has cantilever brakes. (even then, if it's newer it could be a CX bike)
    Well, maybe I would be better to say "more touring-like geometry" mostly going by the length of the chainstays. Bikes geared toward touring usually have a longer wheelbase for pannier clearance and plusher ride. It just looks like it has a lot of room in the rear triangle... That's all. Edit: Found this in the '85 Raleigh Catalog on Sheldon's site: http://retroraleighs.com/catalogs/1985/pages/2.html

    Lower right hand corner

    Mark
    Last edited by BeerBiker; 08-07-07 at 04:47 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •