Originally Posted by alicestrong
Better to contrast than not match exactly.
Please please please coach me on how to get such nice results from a rattlecan. I need to know all...what kind of paint, prep...etc...
Well as for the a how-to, it's pretty simple.
1. Sand it down. You can either sand it down to the metal or just scuff up the paint. I went down to the
metal wet sanding it with 220 grit. Then went up to 400 for a smoother surface for paint.
2. Wipe the bike down with acetone. You should wear latex gloves and work outside or in a very well ventilated area. From this point on always wear gloves before touching the frame.
3. Prime it. I used rust oleum painters touch paint (ALWAYS use the same brand of prime paint and clear)
4. After it has dried for several hours I sanded it with steel wool 00. You could also wet sand it with 400 grit sand paper. After the sanding make sure to wipe the frame down or use compressed air to get all the dust off. Do NOT use the acetone it will take the paint right off. Use light coats of paint for every step.
5. Repeat until you have a nice layer of primer. I put 3 coats of primer. You can do more but i would not suggest less.
6. Paint it then sand it same as with the primer. I did 4 coats of paint. Also be creative If you want a little more shimmer in your paint, paint it with gold or silver then your color. You can layer the paint and it usually will show through. I did not do this method as I did not want this effect.
7. Clear coat it then sand between coats. With the clear you should wait a day to let it dry enough before sanding it. You can either 400 grit wet sand it or 00 steel wool it. I did 5 coats of clear.
8. After at least 24 hours of drying (more time wouldn't hurt it) sand it gently with 0000 steel wool. This will even out the finish and get rid of any over spray. sand it enough that finish is a little dull.
9. Now for the fun part, wet sand it with 2000 grit sand paper then jump too 2500. If you can find 3000 then you could do that too.
10. Use car wax on the frame and your done.
It should feel like glass and shimmer all so nicely. It will take the paint 2 weeks to set so try and leave it alone. Thats the 10 step program.
Originally Posted by mathletics
Why did you use aero levers and not hide the cable under the wrap?
In the picture I hadn't put the tape on yet.