Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 73
  1. #1
    a.k.a. QUADZILLA LoRoK's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Portland!
    My Bikes
    Super Pista
    Posts
    1,499
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Convinced a friend to get a track bike today, hilarity ensues

    He got a Fuji Track. Not a bad bike, pretty good bike for $400 (on sale @ performance). I've heard of the troubles with pre-built track/fixies involving the lockrings not being tight enough, and I almost killed him tonight. I was all, "come on, don't be a mangina, let's go hit these hills" and he finally gave in. So, we mash up the biggest hill that I know of in town, and when we head back down his cog slipped all the way off and he was totally freakin' out. I kept yelling at him to put his foot between the frame/wheel and he just started dragging his toes on the ground, not slowing down very much. He was smart enough to pull into a driveway and hopped off the bike. It was pretty funny, and he was scared ****less. I had him put the cog back on and mash back up the hill then we banged the lockring on with a screwdriver as hard as we could. I'm wondering if anyone has had to do this, and how well it might hold. He took off to go find his chick and said he was taking it back to the shop tomorrow. Those dudes at performance are idiots. When they put his toe-straps on they didn't twist them, and put one on backwards with the buckle on the inside. Anyway, what a way to get a fixxie initiation.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Tapeworm21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Berkeley
    My Bikes
    2010 Tarmac SL, 2007 Specialized Langster, 2013 Fairdale Weekender, 2013 Fairdale Coaster, 1986 Bridgestone 600, 1972 Schwinn Heavy Duty, 2014 Surley Long Haul Trucker
    Posts
    2,257
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ask for "Tom" there. And then yell at him. He's a ****** bag. Thanks.
    2009 Specialized Tarmac Pro SL SRAM
    http://uplandsg.com/images/prodlogo_capoformaS.gif

  3. #3
    #$*& Wotan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Aus
    My Bikes
    Bates (of Coburg) track bike(60s/70s?), Malvern Star Ladies coronation (1953), SuperElliots pathracer (60s?), Repco pathracer (1964), Holland Ladies (50s?), Moa (50s?), Hillman Ladies (40s?), Batavia? (40s?), Malvern Star 2 star ladies (50s?)...etc.
    Posts
    411
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LoRoK View Post
    I've heard of the troubles with pre-built track/fixies involving the lockrings not being tight enough
    And STILL you didn't bother to check it first. Wow, you would've felt pretty good if he got seriously hurt.

    Wait a minute - the lockring on that hub has reverse thread, doesn't it?. Just because it's not supertight doesn't mean the cog is going to fall off? Am I missing something here? Anyway, whatever, maybe your friend should get a brake. And maybe you should help him set up his bike better.
    Last edited by Wotan; 08-19-07 at 02:16 AM.

  4. #4
    tarck bike.com exile 666pack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    lancaster, pennsylvania
    My Bikes
    bfssfg iro--black.
    Posts
    2,058
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LoRoK View Post
    Those dudes at performance are idiots.
    yeah no ****.

  5. #5
    Grumbly Goat Bushman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    My Bikes
    bicycles with round wheels
    Posts
    896
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to be blunt here:

    - bike not inspected properly by competent mechanic friend or LBS prior to NEW fixed gear rider getting on it.

    - prior knowledge of shabby bike builds from online store, yet NEW rider told dont be a *****, just ride it.


    - no manual brake installed prior to NEW fixed gear rider getting onto bike

    just saying.

  6. #6
    fixed or bent acoldspoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Brooklyn
    My Bikes
    1989 Panasonic Track 4000, 2000 Burley Django (bike show prototype), 1980's Serotta Custom Criterium
    Posts
    715
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
    I'm going to be blunt here:

    - bike not inspected properly by competent mechanic friend or LBS prior to NEW fixed gear rider getting on it.

    - prior knowledge of shabby bike builds from online store, yet NEW rider told dont be a *****, just ride it.


    - no manual brake installed prior to NEW fixed gear rider getting onto bike

    just saying.
    +1
    Sorry to say it, but I think more blame rests on your shoulders than on the Performance shop. You could have sent your friend to the hospital.
    Remember the 9/11's

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    37
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well.. sure am glad i'm not your friend

  8. #8
    jack of one or two trades Aeroplane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Suburbia, CT
    My Bikes
    Old-ass gearie hardtail MTB, fix-converted Centurion LeMans commuter, SS hardtail monster MTB
    Posts
    5,635
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are lucky your friend didn't beat you up with a rusty pipe (assuming he didn't).
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Irwin Goldstein
    Men should never ride bicycles. Riding should be banned and outlawed. It is
    the most irrational form of exercise I could ever bring to discussion.

  9. #9
    fix
    fix is offline
    yeahh, becky fix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    DC
    My Bikes
    1990 Kotter Albuch, 2005 Empella Spaar Select Cross, 2007 Ridley Aedon
    Posts
    1,394
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I predit LoRok will be back in about a month saying "i don't know what happened, i mashed up the biggest hill in town then my cog spun all the way off on the downhill and i freaked out!!!"
    soh-CAh-T-oa-meter 0 ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ X ~ ~ pi

  10. #10
    vernal stylostixis fix:'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    300
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah the fact that he didnt have a brake was pretty dumb

  11. #11
    Senior Member filtersweep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2,615
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fix: View Post
    yeah the fact that he didnt have a brake was pretty dumb
    No kidding- first ride out, brakeless on big hills.... methinks this could be a troll. Or just a PAIR of idiots.

  12. #12
    Fattest Thin Man Az B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Directly above the center of the earth
    My Bikes
    Miyata 610, Vinco V, Rocky Mountain Element
    Posts
    2,649
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not funny.

    Az

  13. #13
    Senior Member threeoneseven's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    rural america
    Posts
    246
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    laughing at a friend who is genuinely scared and at risk of serious bodily harm is lame.

  14. #14
    Cornucopia of Awesomeness baxtefer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    not where i used to be
    Posts
    4,847
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you're a ******
    {o,o**
    |)__)
    -"-"-

    O RLY?

  15. #15
    JuNKie! bike junkie! sniks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,559
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    performance bike shop is like the Kmart of bikes. anyway that how it seems to me a few knowlegable people the rest don't know diddly squat.
    but dude gonna have agree with everone else, no brakes! come on.
    even you won't take your brake off and you have months of experience.

    also remember how loose your cog and lock ring was when you first learned to skid?

  16. #16
    Hello. crushkilldstroy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    West Seattle
    Posts
    2,902
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LoRoK View Post
    He got a Fuji Track. Not a bad bike, pretty good bike for $400 (on sale @ performance). I've heard of the troubles with pre-built track/fixies involving the lockrings not being tight enough, and I almost killed him tonight. I was all, "come on, don't be a mangina, let's go hit these hills" and he finally gave in. So, we mash up the biggest hill that I know of in town, and when we head back down his cog slipped all the way off and he was totally freakin' out. I kept yelling at him to put his foot between the frame/wheel and he just started dragging his toes on the ground, not slowing down very much. He was smart enough to pull into a driveway and hopped off the bike. It was pretty funny, and he was scared ****less. I had him put the cog back on and mash back up the hill then we banged the lockring on with a screwdriver as hard as we could. I'm wondering if anyone has had to do this, and how well it might hold. He took off to go find his chick and said he was taking it back to the shop tomorrow. Those dudes at performance are idiots. When they put his toe-straps on they didn't twist them, and put one on backwards with the buckle on the inside. Anyway, what a way to get a fixxie initiation.

    OMG hilarious!

    I smell a sitcommmmmmmmmmm!

  17. #17
    skinning up
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    cleveland
    Posts
    1,243
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    edit

  18. #18
    NYC
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    92
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    blog

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    569
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    anybody ever had a lockring come off like that without stripping the hub?

  20. #20
    cab horn
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    1987 Bianchi Campione
    Posts
    28,295
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The OP is an idiot. Good thing I don't have friends like you.
    Mes compaingnons cui j'amoie et cui j'aim,... Me di, chanson.

  21. #21
    skinning up
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    cleveland
    Posts
    1,243
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    reading that, then your signature made me laugh^<br>

  22. #22
    Senior Member iamtim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    La Habra, CA.
    Posts
    2,979
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was just going to leave this thread alone, but I can't. Performance wasn't the only idiot in that story. What in the hell do you think you're doing putting a new fixed-gear rider on the biggest hills in town brakeless? Dumb.

  23. #23
    hello roadfix's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Los Angeles
    My Bikes
    thank you for asking
    Posts
    18,502
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The OP abused animals as a child.

  24. #24
    Grumbly Goat Bushman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    My Bikes
    bicycles with round wheels
    Posts
    896
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hahahaha

  25. #25
    a.k.a. QUADZILLA LoRoK's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Portland!
    My Bikes
    Super Pista
    Posts
    1,499
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow. I'm feelin' the love. Just to defend myself a little, it was my friends choice to ride brakeless and against my advice. I do have a brake, and that is why. Second, we were both laughing AFTER the fact. I was quit concerned for the well being of my friend. Third, before we went out I fixed his straps and I tested his bike and when I layed down some skids on his bike there was no slippage of the cog/lockring. My friend does weigh about 50+ pounds more than me, and he's a body builder. I didn't know that he would have been able to spin the cog off. Seriously, he's one of my best friends, why would I want him to be hurt?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •