Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    fixed or bent acoldspoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Brooklyn
    My Bikes
    1989 Panasonic Track 4000, 2000 Burley Django (bike show prototype), 1980's Serotta Custom Criterium
    Posts
    715
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Seat bag for Sew-ups and Fahgettaboudit U-lock?

    I'm looking for an seat bag that can carry:
    A folded sew-up tire
    One Tufo glue tape
    Silca mini pump
    A multi tool
    My wallet
    My Razor phone

    I don't mind if it is a set up that carries the U-lock underneath the bag, as long at it can carry it.

    The bag being easy to remove would be a boon, as I can take it along with me when I lock the bike.

    Stable, secure, and not butt ugly would also be nice.
    Remember the 9/11's

  2. #2
    hello roadfix's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Los Angeles
    My Bikes
    thank you for asking
    Posts
    18,502
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jandd tire bag.

  3. #3
    1 trick pony dogpound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    on my bike
    Posts
    1,018
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that lock weighs so much you might want a trailer
    road-Independent Fabrication custom campy record carbon
    tri-Independent Fabrication custom Ultegra
    fixie-converted nishiki
    3rensho track
    BF IRO fixie

  4. #4
    Cornucopia of Awesomeness baxtefer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    not where i used to be
    Posts
    4,847
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    carradice
    {o,o**
    |)__)
    -"-"-

    O RLY?

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    30
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an Axiom seat bag. It would hold all that, but it is definitely not easy to remove. In fact i find it to be a pain in the ass.

  6. #6
    Ths Hipstr Kills Masheenz cc700's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    seattle
    My Bikes
    tirove
    Posts
    8,549
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    big-ass fakenger bag.

  7. #7
    Senior Member filtersweep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2,615
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why don't you pre-glue your tire, and use an old pedal strap to carry it--- or buy an old school tubular holder that hangs from the rails. Everything else can fit in your pockets. Otherwise, the Carradice is the best bet.

    Quote Originally Posted by acoldspoon View Post
    I'm looking for an seat bag that can carry:
    A folded sew-up tire
    One Tufo glue tape
    Silca mini pump
    A multi tool
    My wallet
    My Razor phone

    I don't mind if it is a set up that carries the U-lock underneath the bag, as long at it can carry it.

    The bag being easy to remove would be a boon, as I can take it along with me when I lock the bike.

    Stable, secure, and not butt ugly would also be nice.

  8. #8
    fixed or bent acoldspoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Brooklyn
    My Bikes
    1989 Panasonic Track 4000, 2000 Burley Django (bike show prototype), 1980's Serotta Custom Criterium
    Posts
    715
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the responses guys. Some reactions.

    Quote Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
    Jandd tire bag.
    Too small. It will hold the sew-up, some ID, the Razor, the Glue, maybe the Pump. The lock, notsomuch. I may get one for weekend rides anyway, but it won't work for late night City rides.

    Quote Originally Posted by cc700 View Post
    big-ass fakenger bag.
    I have back and neck injuries. I try to keep the weight off while riding, and I'm not sure asymetric distribution is a good idea for me.

    Quote Originally Posted by filtersweep View Post
    Why don't you pre-glue your tire, and use an old pedal strap to carry it--- or buy an old school tubular holder that hangs from the rails. Everything else can fit in your pockets. Otherwise, the Carradice is the best bet.
    I use glue tape now, I find it is a good replacement for Fast Tack. I've never been a pre-gluing kinda guy, and have always preferred a strong hold glue to a light hold glue. I admit, this can lead to the rimstrip being ripped off the tubular, but they get replaced when you send a tire out for repair anyway. I used to attach sew-ups to my seat with toe straps, and have one strapped to the underside of my seat bag right now. Thing is, it is better to keep tubulars inside a seat bag. They are exposed to less street grime this way. As for keeping a U-lock in my back pocket, no thanks. It is bad for the back, and courts nerve damage. I'd rather keep my stuff on the bike rather than on my person while riding. Just the way I like to do things.
    Remember the 9/11's

  9. #9
    or tarckeemoon, depending marqueemoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    the pesto of cities
    My Bikes
    Davidson Impulse, Merckx Titanium AX, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road, Cross Check custom build, On-One Il Pomino, Shawver Cycles cross, Zion 737, Mercian Vincitore, Brompton S1L, Charge Juicer
    Posts
    7,020
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This? Not sure it's big enough for the lock though, and probably a bit of a struggle to remove.

  10. #10
    i read this at work dblock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    LI, New York
    My Bikes
    IRO BFSSFG group buy, 2007 tommaso trascinare road
    Posts
    334
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if the ulock came with a bracket you can try using that although whenever i've used those they've disintegrated after hitting a few bumps and they're also ugly. i know it's not a seat bag but that's all i can think of for the Ulock

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    110
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hang the u lock through your belt loops, mine is the fahgetaboudit lock and it feels fine.

    the rest. get a fanny

  12. #12
    Senior Member filtersweep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2,615
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Then the Carradice is the way to go--- a friend has one, and it is almost like having a pannier Ever seen the bagman? I believe it even is available with a QR. The bags are expandable

  13. #13
    fixed or bent acoldspoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Brooklyn
    My Bikes
    1989 Panasonic Track 4000, 2000 Burley Django (bike show prototype), 1980's Serotta Custom Criterium
    Posts
    715
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allanbinho View Post
    hang the u lock through your belt loops, mine is the fahgetaboudit lock and it feels fine.

    the rest. get a fanny
    Wish I could go this route, but a back injury prevents it.
    Remember the 9/11's

  14. #14
    fixed or bent acoldspoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Brooklyn
    My Bikes
    1989 Panasonic Track 4000, 2000 Burley Django (bike show prototype), 1980's Serotta Custom Criterium
    Posts
    715
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dblock View Post
    if the ulock came with a bracket you can try using that although whenever i've used those they've disintegrated after hitting a few bumps and they're also ugly. i know it's not a seat bag but that's all i can think of for the Ulock
    This lock doesn't come with a bracket and brackets don't mesh well with NYC potholes anyway.
    Remember the 9/11's

  15. #15
    fixed or bent acoldspoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Brooklyn
    My Bikes
    1989 Panasonic Track 4000, 2000 Burley Django (bike show prototype), 1980's Serotta Custom Criterium
    Posts
    715
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by filtersweep View Post
    Then the Carradice is the way to go--- a friend has one, and it is almost like having a pannier Ever seen the bagman? I believe it even is available with a QR. The bags are expandable
    Thinking a larger classically designed seat bag, or even handlebar bag, may be the way to go. As a kid in the 1980's all of our bikes were outfitted with big handlebar bags. Don't know why a nicely designed large bag attached to a bike went out of fashion in the 1990's. Maybe it died along with teenage bicycle tours.
    Remember the 9/11's

  16. #16
    or tarckeemoon, depending marqueemoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    the pesto of cities
    My Bikes
    Davidson Impulse, Merckx Titanium AX, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road, Cross Check custom build, On-One Il Pomino, Shawver Cycles cross, Zion 737, Mercian Vincitore, Brompton S1L, Charge Juicer
    Posts
    7,020
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by acoldspoon View Post
    Thinking a larger classically designed seat bag, or even handlebar bag, may be the way to go. As a kid in the 1980's all of our bikes were outfitted with big handlebar bags. Don't know why a nicely designed large bag attached to a bike went out of fashion in the 1990's. Maybe it died along with teenage bicycle tours.
    Yep. Most these days are either butt ugly, overpriced, require having a bunch of additional hardware on your bike just to make it work, or some combination.

  17. #17
    fixed or bent acoldspoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Brooklyn
    My Bikes
    1989 Panasonic Track 4000, 2000 Burley Django (bike show prototype), 1980's Serotta Custom Criterium
    Posts
    715
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marqueemoon View Post
    Yep. Most these days are either butt ugly, overpriced, require having a bunch of additional hardware on your bike just to make it work, or some combination.
    Or overly aero and racy.
    Remember the 9/11's

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •