Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 82
  1. #1
    Elitist carleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    10,954
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    The lock did it's job, but the user didn't...



    Moral of the story: The lock (even a very good one) is just a tool. You have to lean to use it properly for it to be effective.

  2. #2
    All around nice guy BRANDUNE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Sunny Seattle
    My Bikes
    THE KIND WITH TWO WHEELS AND ONE GEAR
    Posts
    1,742
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Huh?...I dont get it

  3. #3
    Cornucopia of Awesomeness baxtefer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    not where i used to be
    Posts
    4,847
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you see the bike locked up?

    because lots of commuters store their heavy locks/chains at their usual lockup spot to keep from having to drag them around every day.
    {o,o**
    |)__)
    -"-"-

    O RLY?

  4. #4
    BFSSFG old timer riderx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Fredrock
    Posts
    1,913
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carleton View Post
    Moral of the story: The lock (even a very good one) is just a tool. You have to lean to use it properly for it to be effective.
    More likely the lock's owner leaves it there because he regularly locks up at the pole for work.
    Single Speed Outlaw
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Boston Area, MA
    My Bikes
    2004 Gunnar Street Dog
    Posts
    24
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't get it. Looks like someone left it there to use later.
    2004 Gunnar Street Dog

  6. #6
    Senior Member Gambutrol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Dayton, OH
    My Bikes
    3Rensho SRA
    Posts
    443
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice artistic angle, though

  7. #7
    Jewish Media Conspirator asherlighn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Maine
    My Bikes
    Trek 5200, IRO Jamie Roy, Felt F75, and an old GT mountain bike
    Posts
    921
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone know how hard it is to pick a kryptonite chain lock like that? I can pick my krypto u-lock in ~3 minutes. That always worries me.
    Quote Originally Posted by dutret
    The fact is that most peoples sense of what rides well is easily overcome by their sense of what looks cool.

  8. #8
    #$%^&* paulv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    271
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    looks like the owner of the pole locked it up so it wouldn't get stolen

  9. #9
    Elitist carleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    10,954
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well, I asked the lock what it was doing there but it blew me off.


    The lock was located downtown in the city during the middle of the work day. So:
    - If it were a commuter wouldn't the bike be there?
    - If the commuter were running errands wouldn't he/she take the lock with them to lockup at the errand destination?

    Until we get a straight answer from the lock, I'll assume that a rider either:
    A) Locked up around a fork or something and the bike was taken.
    B) Lost the key and cut his bike loose and salvaged the remains.

  10. #10
    more ape than man timmhaan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    8,093
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carleton View Post
    Well, I asked the lock what it was doing there but it blew me off.


    The lock was located downtown in the city during the middle of the work day. So:
    - If it were a commuter wouldn't the bike be there?
    - If the commuter were running errands wouldn't he/she take the lock with them to lockup at the errand destination?

    Until we get a straight answer from the lock, I'll assume that a rider either:
    A) Locked up around a fork or something and the bike was taken.
    B) Lost the key and cut his bike loose and salvaged the remains.
    Occam's Razor my friend. Occam's Razor. The most likely explanation is that the rider left the lock behind. I see this literally dozens of times per day.

  11. #11
    BFSSFG old timer riderx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Fredrock
    Posts
    1,913
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carleton View Post
    Until we get a straight answer from the lock, I'll assume that a rider either:
    A) Locked up around a fork or something and the bike was taken.
    B) Lost the key and cut his bike loose and salvaged the remains.
    Mighty big assumptions.

    Maybe the lock owner works on the night cleaning crew. Maybe they have the day off. Maybe, maybe, maybe...you know what they say when you assume...
    Single Speed Outlaw
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

  12. #12
    Brakeless Legalize It's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Home of the Hyphy....
    My Bikes
    Brew, Felt TK2, Masi Coltello, and Unknown French Frame.
    Posts
    447
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man i alwasy leave my chain around... that **** is HEAVY...

    And cant you see that someone already tried to cut throught the chain but didnt work....

    Link to the right of the lock... theres two indents....

    Proves it cant get cut through...

  13. #13
    Elitist carleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    10,954
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by timmhaan View Post
    Occam's Razor my friend. Occam's Razor. The most likely explanation is that the rider left the lock behind. I see this literally dozens of times per day.
    That would be a fair assumption IF: (I'm ALL about bullet points today)
    A) this were after business hours.
    B) This were an apartment/condo/dwelling etc...
    C) I'd seen a bike there before...ever (which I haven't). It's right outside of a door that I go in and out of a few times daily.

    I've never seen a bike or scooter there nor this lock.

    It's outside of a big office building AND there are bike racks that are never full not far away.

  14. #14
    Bean Counter V-Rock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Haute Lanta
    My Bikes
    Two old old road bikes (unsure of brand), my old Giant Iguana mountain bike, and my Mercier fixed
    Posts
    195
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paulv View Post
    looks like the owner of the pole locked it up so it wouldn't get stolen
    Yea, but they did a ****ty job of it. If I wanted to I could easily remove the covers protecting the anchor bolts and then completely remove the pole from the ground and take it. Easy as pie.

    In fact, you should probably go back and do that to teach the owner of that pole a lesson.

    OH GAWD, pretend I didn't say that...

  15. #15
    Elitist carleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    10,954
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Legalize It View Post
    Man i alwasy leave my chain around... that **** is HEAVY...

    And cant you see that someone already tried to cut throught the chain but didnt work....

    Link to the right of the lock... theres two indents....

    Proves it cant get cut through...
    Good eye!

    See, this is evidence that a theft might have been attempted which would suggest that the bike may have been stolen using "Plan B". And Plan B worked.

  16. #16
    Elitist carleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    10,954
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Oh! Here's an idea: Maybe the cops or City Works took it because it was locked to something that it shouldn't have been.

  17. #17
    Run What 'Ya Brung bonechilling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    5,696
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I worked at a big grocery store downtown, I left a U-lock on a parking meter all the time. My hours varied wildly between working at 4 AM to closing shifts, and at least one, but usually two weekend days per week. That left my lock affixed to a post, un-utilized for most of regular "business" hours.

    Far and away the most logical explanation is that the owner left this here to access later.

  18. #18
    Elitist carleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    10,954
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bonechilling View Post
    When I worked at a big grocery store downtown, I left a U-lock on a parking meter all the time. My hours varied wildly between working at 4 AM to closing shifts, and at least one, but usually two weekend days per week. That left my lock affixed to a post, un-utilized for most of regular "business" hours.

    Far and away the most logical explanation is that the owner left this here to access later.

    Then explain the cut marks.

  19. #19
    Run What 'Ya Brung bonechilling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    5,696
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by V-Rock View Post
    Yea, but they did a ****ty job of it. If I wanted to I could easily remove the covers protecting the anchor bolts and then completely remove the pole from the ground and take it. Easy as pie.
    Judging from the shape, this appears to be a light post.. which is unlikely to be removed by a thief.

    Edit - Could be wrong though, since it's not in the photo.

  20. #20
    Run What 'Ya Brung bonechilling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    5,696
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carleton View Post
    Then explain the cut marks.
    Well, it world appear that, as some point, someone tried to cut this lock but failed. How does this advance your argument?

  21. #21
    Hello. crushkilldstroy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    West Seattle
    Posts
    2,902
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carleton View Post
    Then explain the cut marks.
    2 separate incidents? You have got to be spamming with this post though, so pretend I didn't answer.

    Maybe it's an invisible bike? But I guess it wouldn't need a lock if it were. And man, how much of a pain in the ass would it be if you forgot where you locked your invisible bike?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacquie Phelan
    Until mountain biking came along, the bike scene was ruled by a small elite cadre of people who seemed allergic to enthusiasm.

  22. #22
    All around nice guy BRANDUNE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Sunny Seattle
    My Bikes
    THE KIND WITH TWO WHEELS AND ONE GEAR
    Posts
    1,742
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe they did actually cut the lock, then they super glued it back together (hence the marks) and then just left that **** there just be a dick

  23. #23
    Senior Member Chrysiptera's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Boston (Coolidge Corner in Brookline)
    Posts
    315
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by asherlighn View Post
    Anyone know how hard it is to pick a kryptonite chain lock like that? I can pick my krypto u-lock in ~3 minutes. That always worries me.
    no sir; which type? Are you serious?
    ... I'm the center of attention in the walls inside my head ...

    1984 Fuji Berkeley: Fixed conversion build thread
    2006 Specialized Langster SS, 197x Motobecane Mirage: crummy SS
    2005 Trek 2100, 1953 Raleigh Sports: Restoration on hold

  24. #24
    Bean Counter V-Rock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Haute Lanta
    My Bikes
    Two old old road bikes (unsure of brand), my old Giant Iguana mountain bike, and my Mercier fixed
    Posts
    195
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bonechilling View Post
    Judging from the shape, this appears to be a light post.. which is unlikely to be removed by a thief.

    Edit - Could be wrong though, since it's not in the photo.

    DUDE, I realize that, but man, where there is a will there is a way. You could get some serious dough for all the metal in that light post.
    Or perhaps a conceptual artist would want it for a sculpture...

    Don't mind me; I am just hypothesizing here.

  25. #25
    big ring MIN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    philadelphia
    Posts
    5,839
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This thread is intellectual ************ at it's finest.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •