Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Van BC
    Posts
    3,742
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Anyone tried spacing out a track cog on a Surly hub?

    I am getting the urge to tweak my chainline ever so slightly. I want to shift my cog about 1.5 mm to the driveside, but evenly on both sides so that my flip flop still works. Has anyone tried putting a 1-2mm spacer between a surly hub and a track cog, then tightening the cog and lr as usual? Are there enough cog/ lr threads to make this work?

  2. #2
    Senior Member jerrymcdougal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    My Bikes
    86' Davidson Impulse, 83' Windsor Professional
    Posts
    443
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I havent done it on a Surly, but in my experience, when tightened, the lockring is flush with the threads. My thought would be that if you spaced it out 1.5mm your lockring would be hanging off ~1.5mm.

    Just my thoughts.

  3. #3
    hello roadfix's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Los Angeles
    My Bikes
    thank you for asking
    Posts
    18,502
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you thought of a slightly shorter BB?

  4. #4
    cab horn
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    1987 Bianchi Campione
    Posts
    28,298
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A 3mm shorter bb that is.
    Mes compaingnons cui j'amoie et cui j'aim,... Me di, chanson.

  5. #5
    roll'em high shants's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    columbus, ohio
    Posts
    2,392
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by operator View Post
    A 3mm shorter bb that is.
    assuming symmetry.

  6. #6
    Senior Member mihlbach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    6,327
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This will be much easier and not risk damaging your hub.

    Remove the spacer from between the bearing cone nut and locknut of your axle, then tighten the locknut flush against the cone nut. If your axle was previously spaced to 120mm, it will now be spaced to 110. Then go to a bike shop or hardware store and buy 10mm worth of some relatively thin washers that will fit around your axle and have a diameter that is at least as great as the diameter or your locknuts. Add the washers to the axle on the outside of the locknut, arranging them to give you the straighest chainline possible (i.e. you will need to have an unequal number of washers on each side...this will shift you hub and cog in whichever direction you want it to move). If you only want to shift your cog by a mm or two, its not really necessary to redish the wheel. If you flip the hub, just swap the left and right washers to achieve the correct chainline.
    Last edited by mihlbach; 10-08-07 at 05:14 AM.

  7. #7
    jerk store mathletics's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Boston
    My Bikes
    '80s Chimo Garbage fixed 36/14, Centurion fixed 42/17
    Posts
    605
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, not enough threads. Change your BB.
    A cop pulled me over for riding 2 abreast at 2:30am on a 4 lane road and informed me that bicycles are not classified as a vehicle in Massachusetts. As a result, I'm pretty bummed about having moved to Boston.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Van BC
    Posts
    3,742
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ohh kaayyy, changing the bb it is then. The difficulty is, my shell is italian threaded and the current 107mm bb is the smallest un bb you can get in that spec. This could be a job for phil wood, or since I am a cheap ******* i could just keep living with a slightly out chainline. Thanks for your help guys!

  9. #9
    Senior Member mihlbach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    6,327
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mander View Post
    Ohh kaayyy, changing the bb it is then. The difficulty is, my shell is italian threaded and the current 107mm bb is the smallest un bb you can get in that spec. This could be a job for phil wood, or since I am a cheap ******* i could just keep living with a slightly out chainline. Thanks for your help guys!
    Like I said above...all you need is some washers.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Van BC
    Posts
    3,742
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mihlbach View Post
    Like I said above...all you need is some washers.
    Right, the problem is i would like to keep my flipflop hub working. Thanks anyways though.

  11. #11
    Senior Member mihlbach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    6,327
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mander View Post
    Right, the problem is i would like to keep my flipflop hub working. Thanks anyways though.
    Read my post again...you can keep your flip flop hub working. I do the same thing with my flip flop hub all the time. KEEP THE WASHERS ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE LOCKNUT AND SWAP THE RIGHT AND LEFT WASHERS WHEN YOU FLIP THE WHEEL AROUND. It takes 5 seconds...seriously.

  12. #12
    hello roadfix's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Los Angeles
    My Bikes
    thank you for asking
    Posts
    18,502
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mander View Post
    i could just keep living with a slightly out chainline
    There's nothing wrong with that either. I've got a couple of rides with chainlines off by 2-3mm.....no problemo.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Van BC
    Posts
    3,742
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mihlbach View Post
    Read my post again...you can keep your flip flop hub working. I do the same thing with my flip flop hub all the time. KEEP THE WASHERS ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE LOCKNUT AND SWAP THE RIGHT AND LEFT WASHERS WHEN YOU FLIP THE WHEEL AROUND. It takes 5 seconds...seriously.

    Ohhhhhhhhh! Thanks mihibach, that does sound like the simplest solution!

    sorry for being dense!
    Last edited by mander; 10-08-07 at 12:37 PM.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Bikes
    Surly CrossCheck, Miyata 310 (conversion)
    Posts
    854
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mander View Post
    Ohhhhhhhhh! Thanks mihibach, that does sound like the simplest solution!

    I did a similar manuver on a beater bike, i couldn't get the front wheel and brake to line up properly and needed to get out the door. So i just grabbed a few washers, put them on one side and went out the door. It was a handy temp fix to stop the right brake pad from rubbing the rim and allow proper braking.

  15. #15
    hello roadfix's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Los Angeles
    My Bikes
    thank you for asking
    Posts
    18,502
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Speaking of washers, they can be a life saver. When my rear axle lock nut cracked in half during the middle of a long ride, I was left with a 5mm space on one side. Luckily during a quick rummaging on the side of a busy highway I found 2 thick washers and used them to fill the space and finished the ride with no further problems. I continued to ride with those washers in place for a few weeks til I found the large diameter lock nuts I needed.

  16. #16
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,849
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Washers plan is kind of jingus, I like the stuff touching my dropouts to be serrated or at least not galvanized hardware store mystery metal.

    With an italian BB you can pull cool trick and just install it backwards, the threads are the same both ways. Then you can put a spacer on the L side of the BB and it moves the chainline inboard by that amount. The only issue is that there are no italian sized spacers out there, so you have to cut a regular one so it will open up a little. This all works fine, I've done it before, and it also eliminates the issue of italian thread BB's unscrewing themselves on the R side.
    "I don't buy new frames, it just encourages them."

    -T.G.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Van BC
    Posts
    3,742
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Landgolier View Post
    Washers plan is kind of jingus, I like the stuff touching my dropouts to be serrated or at least not galvanized hardware store mystery metal.

    With an italian BB you can pull cool trick and just install it backwards, the threads are the same both ways. Then you can put a spacer on the L side of the BB and it moves the chainline inboard by that amount. The only issue is that there are no italian sized spacers out there, so you have to cut a regular one so it will open up a little. This all works fine, I've done it before, and it also eliminates the issue of italian thread BB's unscrewing themselves on the R side.
    Wowzers, that sounds neat. So you just completely snip the spacer and open it up a little?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •