Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26
  1. #1
    bring back ASCII art HappyHumber's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    93
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Shimano UN54 BB & Sugino 75s

    I've seen numerous references to people successfully using the 107mm UN53 & UN73 Bottom brackets with their Sugino 75s - but more recently have noted that Shimano no longer makers these and their new equivalent is the UN54.... just wondering if anyone's had the same joy with the new model ?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Van BC
    Posts
    3,744
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyHumber View Post
    I've seen numerous references to people successfully using the 107mm UN53 & UN73 Bottom brackets with their Sugino 75s - but more recently have noted that Shimano no longer makers these and their new equivalent is the UN54.... just wondering if anyone's had the same joy with the new model ?
    The taper will be off in either case---75's are ISO taper and shimanos are JIS. I'm sure you can get away with it now as much as you could then---the new uns are just another 107mm jis tapered bb. But it's not recommended and lots of people will tell you not to do it.

  3. #3
    bring back ASCII art HappyHumber's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    93
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mander View Post
    But it's not recommended and lots of people will tell you not to do it.
    I guess this was inevitable, going on all the old threads I've dug through. I know there's plenty of naysayers on the idea, but I guess I was directing this more at those that have used the Shimanos.

    oh and before anyone else says anything; I want a sealed unit. that's why I'm not considering the Sugino 75 BB itself. Yes I am lazy on the regular repacking idea.

    I don't know, I might dish out for a Phil JIS 'specially since the Aussie Dollar is looking better against the Greenback of late.... I must be due another big order.. they're always fun.

  4. #4
    Sir Fallalot wroomwroomoops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland
    Posts
    5,171
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mander View Post
    75's are ISO taper and shimanos are JIS.
    I thought it was the other way around.

  5. #5
    Senior Member mr_tom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    423
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shimano are definitely JIS, and the 75 is definitely ISO.

    Miche make a decent sealed ISO BB. It's for the track, so as long as you have a ~43mm chainline, you'll be fine.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    328
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wroomwroomoops View Post
    I thought it was the other way around.
    Sugino 75 = NJS approved therefore ISO

    Shimano = JIS

  7. #7
    Sir Fallalot wroomwroomoops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland
    Posts
    5,171
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tynan View Post
    Sugino 75 = NJS approved therefore ISO

    Shimano = JIS
    Thanks!

  8. #8
    monster
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    707
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ran my Sugino 75s with a UN54 68x107 and never had any issues. Chainline was fine with a Phil rear hub, EAI cog.

  9. #9
    Cornucopia of Awesomeness baxtefer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    not where i used to be
    Posts
    4,847
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tynan View Post
    Sugino 75 = NJS approved therefore ISO
    What? you pulled that out of your ass.
    since when did cranks have to be ISO tapered in order to be NJS approved?

    Shimano 7600 = JIS
    Shimano 7710 = Octalink.
    {o,o**
    |)__)
    -"-"-

    O RLY?

  10. #10
    live free or die trying humancongereel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    where i lay my head is home.
    My Bikes
    bianchi pista workhorse, cannondale r1000, mountain bike fixed conversion
    Posts
    6,999
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it doesn't have to be iso to be njs. sugino 75s are, for whatever reason, the only iso crank sugino makes. they're also njs. i get what you're saying--the way that post was worded, i'm not sure if he's implying njs=iso, but i think it was just saying it the way sheldon brown's website words it....sugino=jis, except for the njs, which is iso.
    have:ea50 flats, black, light, stiff.
    144 bcd 3/32" 49t sugino track chainring, possibly 75.

    want: risers, light, stiff, 1", black if that can be
    144 bcd 46t or 47t chainring any kind or width

  11. #11
    not actually Nickatina andre nickatina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    OR
    Posts
    4,447
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just get the campy centaur bb. it's like 60 bucks.

  12. #12
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,849
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by andre nickatina View Post
    just get the campy centaur bb. it's like 60 bucks.
    Agreed, there are even cheaper campy ones out there too, like $40. The Miche is also really nice and has some adjustability.
    "I don't buy new frames, it just encourages them."

    -T.G.

  13. #13
    Senior Member mihlbach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    6,344
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've tried several sealed BBs for my 75s..Phil, Shimano, etc. and for numerous reasons (mostly chainline and durability issues), I've never been completely satisfied with any of them. Go with the 75 BB...you'll be happier in the long run, even if it requires a little more maintenance.

  14. #14
    not actually Nickatina andre nickatina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    OR
    Posts
    4,447
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 75 BB is so smooth anyway... gotta love it.

  15. #15
    bring back ASCII art HappyHumber's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    93
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Landgolier View Post
    Agreed, there are even cheaper campy ones out there too, like $40. The Miche is also really nice and has some adjustability.
    What length spindle are guys talking for the Campy & Miche units ?

  16. #16
    cab horn
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    1987 Bianchi Campione
    Posts
    28,295
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by andre nickatina View Post
    just get the campy centaur bb. it's like 60 bucks.
    You say that like 60 bucks is cheap.

    Quote Originally Posted by mihlbach View Post
    I've tried several sealed BBs for my 75s..Phil, Shimano, etc. and for numerous reasons (mostly chainline and durability issues), I've never been completely satisfied with any of them. Go with the 75 BB...you'll be happier in the long run, even if it requires a little more maintenance.
    If there's anything you can fault on the phils and shimanos, it's not going to be durability. The only thing loose ball bb's have over cartridge is the speed and repackability.
    Mes compaingnons cui j'amoie et cui j'aim,... Me di, chanson.

  17. #17
    The Red Lantern Rev.Chuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Raleigh NC
    Posts
    5,967
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Miche comes in 107 and 110(Also for 68 and 73 shells as I recall), for around $25-30. It is handy for chainline because it does not have a "fixed" cup. You can shift it back and forth a bit to get your cog/chainring lined up(Like a Phil).
    Are you a registered member? Why not? click here to register. Its free, and only takes 27 seconds!
    Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.

    I am in the woods and I have gone crazy.

  18. #18
    Plum Smuggler Batson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NYC (Hells Kitchen)
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Pista, EAI Bareknuckle
    Posts
    320
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev.Chuck View Post
    The Miche comes in 107 and 110(Also for 68 and 73 shells as I recall), for around $25-30. It is handy for chainline because it does not have a "fixed" cup. You can shift it back and forth a bit to get your cog/chainring lined up(Like a Phil).
    yea, i just got one of these (miche 107) for my 75s. i liked that is was sealed and adjustable.

  19. #19
    Senior Member mihlbach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    6,344
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by operator View Post
    If there's anything you can fault on the phils and shimanos, it's not going to be durability. The only thing loose ball bb's have over cartridge is the speed and repackability.

    The bearings on my Phil BB lasted about 2000 miles. I'm currently using a Shimano UN73 and its about dead. I had the bearings on the Phil BB replaced (under warrantee) but I haven't reinstalled it yet.

  20. #20
    bring back ASCII art HappyHumber's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    93
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev.Chuck View Post
    The Miche comes in 107 and 110(Also for 68 and 73 shells as I recall), for around $25-30. It is handy for chainline because it does not have a "fixed" cup. You can shift it back and forth a bit to get your cog/chainring lined up(Like a Phil).
    Nice, nice... I'm getting tempted. What tool is required to install these? Miche are fairly proprietary when they can get away with it I thought ? The pics I'm looking at on the Miche site for the (1913 Primato & 1992 Team) looks more like Campy than the Shimano spline pattern.

  21. #21
    Sir Fallalot wroomwroomoops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland
    Posts
    5,171
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyHumber View Post
    Nice, nice... I'm getting tempted. What tool is required to install these? Miche are fairly proprietary when they can get away with it I thought ? The pics I'm looking at on the Miche site for the (1913 Primato & 1992 Team) looks more like Campy than the Shimano spline pattern.
    Yes, they're both square taper. By "Shimano spline pattern" you probably mean Octalink (v1 or v2). Well, Octalink is proprietary to Shimano, so noone else can have it.

    ISIS is a non-proprietary splined interface, but by now there are so many interpretations and reincarnations and modifications to it, that ISIS is not anymore a "standard".

    ST FTW

  22. #22
    The Red Lantern Rev.Chuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Raleigh NC
    Posts
    5,967
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Miche is a square taper axle, english taper. You can get it in 68mm width english and Italian thread, 70mm Width(I had misremembered this as 73 english) There are 107, 110, 115 widths but some are out of stock right now.

    The tool you need is a BBT-4(Park). Pedros and Campy also make a similar tool. The Pedros(I have) works fine. The Campy is about $100(surprise)
    Are you a registered member? Why not? click here to register. Its free, and only takes 27 seconds!
    Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.

    I am in the woods and I have gone crazy.

  23. #23
    bring back ASCII art HappyHumber's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    93
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wroomwroomoops View Post
    Yes, they're both square taper. By "Shimano spline pattern" you probably mean Octalink (v1 or v2). Well, Octalink is proprietary to Shimano, so noone else can have it.

    Sorry, No... I know the spline difference. I used the wrong term there; things were gonna get confused. I was musing out loud about Shimano, because I presently only own a couple tools for the Shimano cartridge BBs.

    I was wondering about the tool for inserting/removing the cartridge & cup of the Miche bottom bracket.


    eg. old pre Octalink Shimano standard shown;



    or

  24. #24
    The Red Lantern Rev.Chuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Raleigh NC
    Posts
    5,967
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyHumber View Post
    Sorry, No... I know the spline difference. I used the wrong term there; things were gonna get confused. I was musing out loud about Shimano, because I presently only own a couple tools for the Shimano cartridge BBs.

    I was wondering about the tool for inserting/removing the cartridge & cup of the Miche bottom bracket.


    eg. old pre Octalink Shimano standard shown;



    or
    Again: "The tool you need is a BBT-4(Park). Pedros and Campy also make a similar tool. The Pedros(I have) works fine. The Campy is about $100(surprise)"
    Are you a registered member? Why not? click here to register. Its free, and only takes 27 seconds!
    Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.

    I am in the woods and I have gone crazy.

  25. #25
    All around nice guy BRANDUNE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Sunny Seattle
    My Bikes
    THE KIND WITH TWO WHEELS AND ONE GEAR
    Posts
    1,742
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyHumber View Post

    or
    [/CENTER]
    I just bought one of those today, it was branded INLINE and was only 8 bucks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •