Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    spaghetti a b seize's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    339
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    breaks on a chain

    i could just be terrible at using a chain break, it always ends up with a stiff link no matter how much i try to free it up flexing it back and forth (perpendicular to natural motion, i once read this is what you should do, bad idea?), but my chain break also cost $3 at walmart. so assuming it's not completely my awful technique, anyone have suggestions for a good chain break, one that won't kill my chain?

  2. #2
    loves his IRO. eXCeSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Downtown Albany
    My Bikes
    IRO Angus, all sorts of upgrades.
    Posts
    471
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    727
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i got fine results with the walmart tool. did you push it back out a few turns (flip the chain and push the pin in the opposite direction) like it says on the box?

  4. #4
    spaghetti a b seize's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    339
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yep, did not do it for me.

  5. #5
    Blue Light Special kmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Bay Area, Sunny Cali
    My Bikes
    '05 Felt F55, Schwinn Prologue road bike, '86 Centurion DS Iron Man, Sette Flite AM MTB
    Posts
    1,469
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could also try wedging a Phillips head screwdriver or hex key between the stiff link's plates and twisting the key/screwdriver to force the plates apart slightly. Usually just using your man hands is enough though. Eat some meat and try again.
    Quote Originally Posted by KrisPistofferson View Post
    racer x flies across cobblestones with a grimace of determination, three feet of seatpost, bars level with ankles, carbon fiber frame with Kryptonite lugs and a millimeter clearance between the fork and the 700x21c tires. This gives everyone a *****

  6. #6
    cab horn
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    1987 Bianchi Campione
    Posts
    28,295
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kmart View Post
    You could also try wedging a Phillips head screwdriver or hex key between the stiff link's plates and twisting the key/screwdriver to force the plates apart slightly.
    -1

    The upper position on the chain tool was designed to resolve stiff links. The other option is to bend the chain with your hands back and forth. Don't do this on 10 speed chains.



    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chain_tool
    Mes compaingnons cui j'amoie et cui j'aim,... Me di, chanson.

  7. #7
    505 snafs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Albuquerque, NM
    My Bikes
    Felt F80, Jamis Sputnik, S&M Dirkbike
    Posts
    181
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "I'm sick and tired of these mother f!@#$%^ breaks on this mother f!@#$%^ chain!"


    I'm sorry I beat a dead horse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sweatypants View Post
    people that ride clipless are too uncoordinated to keep their feet on the pedals without an aid.

  8. #8
    Senior Member thatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    285
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i wiggle it side to side n it loosens right up.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    22
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thatcher View Post
    i wiggle it side to side n it loosens right up.
    ding!

  10. #10
    raodmaster shaman
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    G-ville
    Posts
    1,431
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by operator View Post

    The upper position on the chain tool was designed to resolve stiff links. The other option is to bend the chain with your hands back and forth. Don't do this on 10 speed chains.
    Try the bending trick first, that usually gets the milder cases. If not, push the pin ever so slightly with the upper position, but make sure that the pin is still centered and that it sticks out past both plates, otherwise the link could pop apart.

    What type of chain is this?

  11. #11
    "Did you see that?"--"No"
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    18
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I flip the tool and press it back a bit then wiggle it.

    The other day I totally murdered a chain tool, the chain was not coming apart and the tool was definitely not designed for 1/8 chain. I broke the teeth that hold the link in place, I broke the metal and plastic part of the handle and I stripped the threads... oops good thing it broke just when I was done.

  12. #12
    Blue Light Special kmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Bay Area, Sunny Cali
    My Bikes
    '05 Felt F55, Schwinn Prologue road bike, '86 Centurion DS Iron Man, Sette Flite AM MTB
    Posts
    1,469
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by operator View Post
    -1

    The upper position on the chain tool was designed to resolve stiff links. The other option is to bend the chain with your hands back and forth. Don't do this on 10 speed chains.



    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chain_tool
    I didn't know this. My chain tool is the one that comes with the Crank Bros M19 multi-tool and I don't think it has a position for loosening still links. The hex-key trick works just fine though.
    Quote Originally Posted by KrisPistofferson View Post
    racer x flies across cobblestones with a grimace of determination, three feet of seatpost, bars level with ankles, carbon fiber frame with Kryptonite lugs and a millimeter clearance between the fork and the 700x21c tires. This gives everyone a *****

  13. #13
    yo yo yo yo yo
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    delaware
    Posts
    2,518
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i don't even worry about the link being stiff after i put the pin back in.. is this bad?

  14. #14
    DOOBIE brakeless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    austin, tx
    My Bikes
    a few of the two wheeled variety
    Posts
    17
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont get it, how do you put brakes on a chain?

  15. #15
    spaghetti a b seize's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    339
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roadgator View Post
    Try the bending trick first, that usually gets the milder cases. If not, push the pin ever so slightly with the upper position, but make sure that the pin is still centered and that it sticks out past both plates, otherwise the link could pop apart.

    What type of chain is this?
    KHS 610

    i'm probably going to buy a new chain soon anyway (just because), but how much does the quality of the chain have to do with this problem? seems to me any chain could have stiff links as a result of a poor chain break(er).

  16. #16
    aspiring dirtbag commuter max-a-mill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    philly
    Posts
    2,116
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you can't get rid of a stiff link your doing something wrong. have someone show you how to do it properly.
    - the revolution will not be motorized -

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    182
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the thread title instantly reminded me of:



  18. #18
    Senior Member dddave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    los angeles
    My Bikes
    2012 redline conquest pro / 2008 yeti 575 / motobecan fantom cross uno
    Posts
    2,147
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i came in here to post the "motherfukcin" line.

  19. #19
    thomas masini lives
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    i aint dh no mo'
    Posts
    3,496
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snafs View Post
    "I'm sick and tired of these mother f!@#$%^ breaks on this mother f!@#$%^ chain!"

    lol
    not a 2ksuck'r

  20. #20
    Super Senior
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Madtown, Wisco
    Posts
    261
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brakeless View Post
    I dont get it, how do you put brakes on a chain?
    no, no, no. can't you read? it's breaks on a chain.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •