Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    44
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Looking for Custom Track Frame Advice

    Looking for some advice on purchasing a second-hand custom frame on craigslist, was hoping someone on these forums could lend an opinion. I've been looking for a track frame for a while. Recently, i found on craigslist a used custom built aluminum track frame made by robert prestige in la. Don't know the specs on the geometry of the frame and have never heard of robert prestige...is anyone familiar with his frames? The frame is $450 and has a matching steel fork, a sugino 75 bb and chris king headset. Sounds like it's worth the price since it's a custom built frame and comes witha decent bb and headset, but then again i don't know anything about robert prestige. Any advice?

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Senior Member barba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    4,086
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would be careful. Custom frames are by definition built for a specific person's measurements and preferences. If they purchased a custom because they had odd proportions it may fit you badly.

  3. #3
    Are we not men?
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Amsterdam for now
    Posts
    1,275
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What good is having a custom built frame if you don't know the geometry? Isn't sizing/geometry the only reason to buy a custom frame?

    ^ sincere question, i don't understand.

  4. #4
    Elitist carleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    10,713
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by guitarded616 View Post
    Looking for some advice on purchasing a second-hand custom frame on craigslist, was hoping someone on these forums could lend an opinion. I've been looking for a track frame for a while. Recently, i found on craigslist a used custom built aluminum track frame made by robert prestige in la. Don't know the specs on the geometry of the frame and have never heard of robert prestige...is anyone familiar with his frames? The frame is $450 and has a matching steel fork, a sugino 75 bb and chris king headset. Sounds like it's worth the price since it's a custom built frame and comes witha decent bb and headset, but then again i don't know anything about robert prestige. Any advice?

    Thanks.
    Looking for some advice on purchasing a second-hand custom suit on craigslist, was hoping someone on these forums could lend an opinion. I've been looking for a suit for a while. Recently, i found on craigslist a used custom made wool suit by robert prestige in la. Don't know the pant or coat sizes of the suit and have never heard of robert prestige...is anyone familiar with his suits? The suit is $450 and has a matching vest, a silk tie and handkerchief. Sounds like it's worth the price since it's a custom built suit and comes witha decent tie and handkerchief, but then again i don't know anything about robert prestige. Any advice?

    Thanks.

  5. #5
    Run What 'Ya Brung bonechilling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    5,696
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by barba View Post
    I would be careful. Custom frames are by definition built for a specific person's measurements and preferences. If they purchased a custom because they had odd proportions it may fit you badly.
    Very true. Look at how many ******bags are riding around on their 53cm keirin bikes with 10" of seatpost showing.
    Quote Originally Posted by doofo View Post
    the main cause of fit problems is riding your bike

    you should have just stopped riding so you could focus on color coordination

  6. #6
    shot shot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    297
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking for some advice on purchasing a second-hand artificial heart on craigslist, was hoping someone on these forums could lend an opinion. I've been looking for an artificial heart for a while. Recently, i found on craigslist a used custom built artificial heart made by robert prestige in la. Don't know the specs on the geometry of the artificial heart and have never heard of robert prestige...is anyone familiar with his artificial hearts ? The artificial heart is $450 and has matching valves and veins. Sounds like it's worth the price since it's a custom built artificial heart and comes with decent valves and veins , but then again i don't know anything about robert prestige. Any advice?

  7. #7
    Elitist carleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    10,713
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Lol

  8. #8
    Senior Member maddyfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Ky. and FL.
    My Bikes
    KHS steel SS
    Posts
    3,946
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very good Carleton
    Not too much to say here

  9. #9
    hello roadfix's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Los Angeles
    My Bikes
    thank you for asking
    Posts
    18,502
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like this thread.

  10. #10
    harrospokes! fetch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,263
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    reminds me of that UCB skit about "my new brain".


    NEW BRAIN!

  11. #11
    -
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Manhattan, NYC
    Posts
    400
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombie Carl View Post
    What good is having a custom built frame if you don't know the geometry? Isn't sizing/geometry the only reason to buy a custom frame?

    ^ sincere question, i don't understand.

    Not to mention it's aluminun...ewwwwwwwwwwwwww

  12. #12
    Elitist carleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    10,713
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •