Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-26-07, 12:38 AM   #1
beethaniel
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: San Francisco
Bikes: Univega Gran Premio, Custom MTB/SS/Commuter, Vintage Miele Fixie under construction
Posts: 290
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Phil Hub, EAI Cog, Lockring?

I have on my newly built bike a phil rear hub, phil cog and phil lock ring. The lock ring fit pretty nicely when I put them together a few weeks ago. This meaning that most of the threads on the lock ring are mated to the hub. Today I picked up an EAI cog (the black one) in a smaller tooth number as to gear up a little. I swapped out the cog and the lock ring doesn't fit on the hub the same way. It does thread on pretty well, I had to rotate it a few times for it to fit snugly. But there are a few threads of the lock ring showing on the inside, like the EAI cog is thicker.

Anyone have any experience with this? I haven't taken it out yet, I dont want to mess up my new hub.
beethaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-07, 12:54 AM   #2
El-ahrairah
RRRDDD
 
El-ahrairah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In the woods
Bikes: a road bike, a mountain bike, a fixed gear
Posts: 243
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Both are 1/8th? You might need a spacer to get it to go on right...do you have a picture? If you e-mail sheldon brown he will write you back if you are very concerned about your phil.





a good website http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/fixed-sprockets-wide.html

El-ahrairah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-07, 01:07 AM   #3
beethaniel
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: San Francisco
Bikes: Univega Gran Premio, Custom MTB/SS/Commuter, Vintage Miele Fixie under construction
Posts: 290
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It fits, just that the lockring doesnt screw on to the hub as much as it did when using the Phil cog. Im sure its because the EAI cog is slightly thicker than the Phil, just wanting to make sure. I have the bike together and the chainline is perfect.
beethaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-07, 01:22 AM   #4
El-ahrairah
RRRDDD
 
El-ahrairah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In the woods
Bikes: a road bike, a mountain bike, a fixed gear
Posts: 243
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sounds Good, im sure it will be fine, sorry if I didn't say anything helpful. I just know how I feel about my Phils and wanted to commiserate.
El-ahrairah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-07, 01:31 AM   #5
Gyeswho
Utilitarian Boy
 
Gyeswho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bronx, NY
Bikes: Check the sig to find out
Posts: 3,235
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i have two EAI cogs on my phils and they work fine. be sure that your cog is screwed on tightly and then install the lockring, i flipped the lockring so the taller part of the ring is up against the cog and it works just fine for me
Gyeswho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-07, 04:20 AM   #6
wroomwroomoops
Sir Fallalot
 
wroomwroomoops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Bikes:
Posts: 5,275
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by beethaniel View Post
I have on my newly built bike a phil rear hub, phil cog and phil lock ring. The lock ring fit pretty nicely when I put them together a few weeks ago. This meaning that most of the threads on the lock ring are mated to the hub. Today I picked up an EAI cog (the black one) in a smaller tooth number as to gear up a little. I swapped out the cog and the lock ring doesn't fit on the hub the same way. It does thread on pretty well, I had to rotate it a few times for it to fit snugly. But there are a few threads of the lock ring showing on the inside, like the EAI cog is thicker.

Anyone have any experience with this? I haven't taken it out yet, I dont want to mess up my new hub.
I can confirm this: the EAI sprocket IS thicker - the shoulder comes outward a bit more than other sprockets. I think you will be fine, though. Perhaps blue locktite both threads.
wroomwroomoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-08, 12:22 AM   #7
TheScientist
I can haz?
 
TheScientist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Shart Rake Chitty
Bikes: Zeus Road bike, Bareknuckle fixed
Posts: 308
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, I have an EAI cog, I just got back from the bikeshop where they told me it was too thick, which was the reason I stripped the lockring threads on my hub. Now my wheel is rebuilt, what to do? Should I sell the EAI cogs to get my hands on some phils?
TheScientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-08, 01:12 AM   #8
frankstoneline
stay free.
 
frankstoneline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ellensburg, WA
Bikes: EAI Bare Knuckle, 1980's Ross Signature 292s 12 speed
Posts: 1,557
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScientist View Post
So, I have an EAI cog, I just got back from the bikeshop where they told me it was too thick, which was the reason I stripped the lockring threads on my hub. Now my wheel is rebuilt, what to do? Should I sell the EAI cogs to get my hands on some phils?
I'm not sure I understand the problem. Did you strip the lockring threads on your old hub because not enough of the lockring was able to engage? My choice for cogs has been surly or dura-ace, if not enough lockring threads are engaging you might look into the dura-ace cogs, the 1/8" variety is recessed on the side so the lockring can thread on a bit more.
frankstoneline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-08, 01:32 AM   #9
Soil_Sampler
A little North of Hell
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 4,812
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
2 full threads showing on my lockring with phil/eai/phil combo.

don't get carried away torquing the lockring.

EAI thickness(threads)seem to be the most.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/chainline.html#chainline1

Last edited by Soil_Sampler; 04-27-08 at 01:51 AM.
Soil_Sampler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-08, 01:40 AM   #10
TimArchy
Senior Member
 
TimArchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Atlanta
Bikes: Zeus (Razesa) tarck, Giant TCR road, Eddy Merckx road, Fuji Touring Series IV for everything else
Posts: 1,155
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This was a problem with the first generation of surly cogs as well wasn't it? Or was that because the threads weren't cut well?

I've run EAI on my phil and had some lockring threads hanging over the edge. I sever saw it as a problem, but maybe I should have. I do have some threads left over with DA cogs also though. maybe not as much.
TimArchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-08, 10:52 AM   #11
frankstoneline
stay free.
 
frankstoneline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ellensburg, WA
Bikes: EAI Bare Knuckle, 1980's Ross Signature 292s 12 speed
Posts: 1,557
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimArchy View Post
This was a problem with the first generation of surly cogs as well wasn't it? Or was that because the threads weren't cut well?

I've run EAI on my phil and had some lockring threads hanging over the edge. I sever saw it as a problem, but maybe I should have. I do have some threads left over with DA cogs also though. maybe not as much.
I've had similar problems with surly cogs, and my Dura-Ace now the lockring is barely flush with the end of the thredding on the hub. It's never been a problem before. You need to get them engaged enough to hold though, or else you could probably ruin the hub with them
frankstoneline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-08, 10:55 AM   #12
TheScientist
I can haz?
 
TheScientist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Shart Rake Chitty
Bikes: Zeus Road bike, Bareknuckle fixed
Posts: 308
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankstoneline View Post
I'm not sure I understand the problem. Did you strip the lockring threads on your old hub because not enough of the lockring was able to engage? My choice for cogs has been surly or dura-ace, if not enough lockring threads are engaging you might look into the dura-ace cogs, the 1/8" variety is recessed on the side so the lockring can thread on a bit more.
Yeah, thats the problem. I stripped the threads on my old phil due to not enough lockring threads engageable. It makes me hesitant, because I just dropped another 200 bucks to get my wheel rebuilt with a new phil hub. I think I'm just going to put the EAI ones up for sale on the bay and buy a phil or two in the sizes I want.
oh and Tim, I weigh 220, so this could be more of an issue of a guy my size than someone smaller. not sure how big ya are but that might have somethign to do with me running into problems and other people not.
TheScientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-08, 11:07 AM   #13
Ken Cox
King of the Hipsters
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bend, Oregon
Bikes: Realm Cycles Custom
Posts: 2,129
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Somewhere in Sheldon's many excellent articles on fixed gear bikes I seem to remember his advice to never change brands of cogs because the slight variations between the steel threads of the respective manufacturers weaken the threads of aluminum hubs.

Or, I might have read it in an article by Phil Wood.

In any event, pick a cog manufacturer (I think Phil and EAI make the best cogs) and stick with that manufacturer's cogs from day one.
Ken Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-08, 11:55 AM   #14
frankstoneline
stay free.
 
frankstoneline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ellensburg, WA
Bikes: EAI Bare Knuckle, 1980's Ross Signature 292s 12 speed
Posts: 1,557
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Cox View Post
Somewhere in Sheldon's many excellent articles on fixed gear bikes I seem to remember his advice to never change brands of cogs because the slight variations between the steel threads of the respective manufacturers weaken the threads of aluminum hubs.

Or, I might have read it in an article by Phil Wood.

In any event, pick a cog manufacturer (I think Phil and EAI make the best cogs) and stick with that manufacturer's cogs from day one.
Probably sound advice.

P.S. Thanks to the OP for reopening an old thread.
props.
frankstoneline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-08, 12:03 PM   #15
piwonka
park ranger
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: mars
Bikes: recumbents
Posts: 1,794
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
looks like phil wood cogs have a recess machined in them. does your EAI cog have that too?
http://www.philwood.com/Track%20Cogs.htm

phil wood lockrings are thicker than most so it doesn't surprise me that the lockring might hang off just a bit. FWIW i put the phil wood lockring on backwards on my campy hub so that the bigger side mates up against the cog and yes it hangs off just a bit too.
piwonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-08, 02:30 PM   #16
el twe
crotchety young dude
 
el twe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: SF, CA
Bikes: IRO Angus; Casati Gold Line; Redline 925; '72 Schwinn Olympic Paramount
Posts: 4,818
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Phil cogs are also the only ones approved by Phil for their hubs. Marketing ploy? Maybe, but if you're gonna change cogs, you might as well go Phil.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardiacKid View Post
I explained that he could never pay me enough cash for the amount of work I had put into that bike and the only way to compensate me for it was to ride the hell out of it.
IRO Angus Casati Gold Line
el twe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-08, 03:22 PM   #17
TheScientist
I can haz?
 
TheScientist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Shart Rake Chitty
Bikes: Zeus Road bike, Bareknuckle fixed
Posts: 308
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankstoneline View Post
Probably sound advice.

P.S. Thanks to the OP for reopening an old thread.
props.
Thanks, I try and make use of the search function.
Thanks for the advice as well guys, I'll probably just stick to phil cogs.
TheScientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:00 AM.