Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-02-07, 02:02 AM   #1
jchou701
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: San Francisco
Bikes:
Posts: 151
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
aerospokes/hed3's - front or back?

aerospokes and hed3 wheels

do you guys put them in the front or the back? what's the difference?
jchou701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-07, 02:06 AM   #2
JohnnyDoyle
Post-modern sleaze
 
JohnnyDoyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Boulder, CO
Bikes: Fuji fixed, Browning fixed, MTB
Posts: 259
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I mostly see them on the front. Not totally sure why, though.
JohnnyDoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-07, 02:11 AM   #3
kyle!
what.
 
kyle!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: SD, CA, USA
Bikes: raleigh rush hour
Posts: 1,276
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyDoyle View Post
I mostly see them on the front. Not totally sure why, though.
cheaper.
kyle! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-07, 02:16 AM   #4
NewYorkMantle
Senior Member
 
NewYorkMantle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 475
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
easier to lock the downtube and front wheel when it's an aerospoke. do front wheels generally come out of true faster than the rear?
NewYorkMantle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-07, 02:42 AM   #5
Legalize It
Brakeless
 
Legalize It's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Home of the Hyphy....
Bikes: Brew, Felt TK2, Masi Coltello, and Unknown French Frame.
Posts: 447
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Im really abusive to my rear wheel. And they look better in the front. Oh yea and front wheels are cheaper.
Legalize It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-07, 02:52 AM   #6
Tangsooyuk
jooseyo
 
Tangsooyuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: The Holy City
Bikes:
Posts: 563
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh man, this thread is going to be funny.

Some people claim to rock fronts for aerodynamic but then will be wearing jeans, a baggy jacket, and have a huge bag on. Since aerojokes are allegedly "bombproof" it would make much more sense to run them in the rear, since thats the wheel that will take the beating, but very few people seem to do that. It basically boils down to aesthetics on the street since the weight and aero benefits are usually quickly negated by somethings else the rider is doing.
Tangsooyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-07, 03:08 AM   #7
Gyeswho
Utilitarian Boy
 
Gyeswho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bronx, NY
Bikes: Check the sig to find out
Posts: 3,235
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I ride both since I'm into symmetry.


only reason I have the Specialized tri-spokes is because I got a super deal for both front and rear together and they are clinchers (hint:cheaper than buying a brand new front HED3). I also will use them when track season comes around because the rear has freewheel threading for a track cog. very stiff wheels compared to A-spokes.

I bought A-spokes because I wanted a strong pair of wheels for the streets(heard alot by how tuff they were) and like the look of them. Regarding weight and performance, HED/Specialized wins hands down. A-spokes are so much heavier and they are not sprinter's wheels but more momentum based if you have flat terrain. I don't care much about the weight because I like the added rotational weight and think of it as weight training.

Last edited by Gyeswho; 12-02-07 at 03:14 AM.
Gyeswho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-07, 07:47 AM   #8
parkerlewis
Senior Member
 
parkerlewis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 440
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
aerospoke is best on the back, hed best on front. that is if you are using both at the same time. front heds way easier to find 'ready to fit' 2nd hand, and aerospokes are heavier so best on the back, as far as wheelies are concerned!
parkerlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-07, 07:59 AM   #9
deathhare
:jarckass:
 
deathhare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Nashville
Bikes:
Posts: 6,562
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchou701 View Post
aerospokes and hed3 wheels

do you guys put them in the front or the back? what's the difference?
You live in SF.
Stand on the corner and wait 3 minutes for one to go by.
Stop the rider and ask.
deathhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-07, 08:52 AM   #10
Legalize It
Brakeless
 
Legalize It's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Home of the Hyphy....
Bikes: Brew, Felt TK2, Masi Coltello, and Unknown French Frame.
Posts: 447
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkerlewis View Post
aerospoke is best on the back, hed best on front. that is if you are using both at the same time. front heds way easier to find 'ready to fit' 2nd hand, and aerospokes are heavier so best on the back, as far as wheelies are concerned!
Hmmm with that said. Where can i find a rear Aerospoke track hub...
Legalize It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-07, 10:27 AM   #11
Landgolier
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 2,849
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
jchou,

Every couple of weeks you swing through here and start some thread with a short, easy question that could easily be answered by searching or looking at information easily available elsewhere. Usually you do a couple at once, as you have now. You also rarely follow up or reply to the threads, and sometimes you ask the same thing twice. STOP IT. It's annoying to everyone on here, and it's frankly rather juvenile to just run in here, shout out your question, and expect an answer without making any effort to find something out for yourself.
Landgolier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-07, 10:38 AM   #12
Astronomical
Double Agent
 
Astronomical's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: your girl's bed
Bikes: Fly Pantera, GT GTB
Posts: 1,187
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Never run a rear aerospoke, they strip because there's no spline system to keep the hub attached to the spokes when you skid. I can't say that I've heard the HED3 has a spline system either but it'd be more strustworthy. I'd run the front anyway because it's a bit cheaper and has more benefits for the tri-spoke.
Astronomical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-07, 10:59 AM   #13
Gyeswho
Utilitarian Boy
 
Gyeswho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bronx, NY
Bikes: Check the sig to find out
Posts: 3,235
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astronomical View Post
Never run a rear aerospoke, they strip because there's no spline system to keep the hub attached to the spokes when you skid. I can't say that I've heard the HED3 has a spline system either but it'd be more strustworthy. I'd run the front anyway because it's a bit cheaper and has more benefits for the tri-spoke.
that was the issue with mine b4 cuz it moved everytime i skidded, but i sent it back to be jb welded and its not a problem anymore. i can't say i'd trust an epoxy mix to stand the force of the constant stresses of skidding. that's the reason A-spoke changed their hub design cuz of the bond breaking after a while
Gyeswho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-07, 01:13 PM   #14
trons
yo yo yo yo yo
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: delaware
Bikes:
Posts: 2,518
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
put aerospokes on ebay because they are ugly and heavy. heds in the front cause it's so hard to find a track hed3 rear.
trons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-07, 01:23 PM   #15
Gyeswho
Utilitarian Boy
 
Gyeswho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bronx, NY
Bikes: Check the sig to find out
Posts: 3,235
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trons View Post
put aerospokes on ebay because they are ugly and heavy. heds in the front cause it's so hard to find a track hed3 rear.
just wondering, have you ever tried an A-spoke at speed? You can't tell me it doesn't feel nice to be carried by all that weight on a flat. Now you are correct though when it comes time for hills though. It def sucks having all that weight, but it's nice knowing you beat a hill on a 3+ lbs wheel.
Gyeswho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-07, 01:26 PM   #16
Tangsooyuk
jooseyo
 
Tangsooyuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: The Holy City
Bikes:
Posts: 563
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyeswho View Post
that was the issue with mine b4 cuz it moved everytime i skidded, but i sent it back to be jb welded and its not a problem anymore.
Ive heard you say this before but I guess I always hoped you were joking. If I sent the wheel back, due to manufacturer error, and they JB welded it and sent it back to me we would have some serious issues. Thats insulting, especially if they fixed that problem within a reasonable range of time you had yours "fixed."
Tangsooyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-07, 01:40 PM   #17
Gyeswho
Utilitarian Boy
 
Gyeswho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bronx, NY
Bikes: Check the sig to find out
Posts: 3,235
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangsooyuk View Post
Ive heard you say this before but I guess I always hoped you were joking. If I sent the wheel back, due to manufacturer error, and they JB welded it and sent it back to me we would have some serious issues. Thats insulting, especially if they fixed that problem within a reasonable range of time you had yours "fixed."
actually, it isn't a manufacturer error. We who do buy the A-spoke for fixed riding are using it the wrong way. the design was never intended to deal with skip stopping. Since track rider don't back pedal, there is no issue with the hub moving around because they are only pedaling in one direction. The slip only happened when I skipped, but when I pedaled forward again, it would move back into its intended position.
Gyeswho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-07, 05:51 PM   #18
rduenas
Senior Member
 
rduenas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: New York City
Bikes:
Posts: 718
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathhare View Post
You live in SF.
Stand on the corner and wait 3 minutes for one to go by.
Stop the rider and ask.
True, though.


I'd love to ride a rear Aerospoke, but there's so much hype with them that I think I'd only get one if I got a ridiculous deal.

i.e. Gyeswho giving me his.
rduenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-07, 06:41 PM   #19
Gyeswho
Utilitarian Boy
 
Gyeswho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bronx, NY
Bikes: Check the sig to find out
Posts: 3,235
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rduenas View Post
True, though.


I'd love to ride a rear Aerospoke, but there's so much hype with them that I think I'd only get one if I got a ridiculous deal.

i.e. Gyeswho giving me his.
(:gasp: the nerve of that guy/ who does he think is???!!!/ Oh he was just kidding)
Gyeswho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-07, 06:44 PM   #20
Zombie Carl
Are we not men?
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Amsterdam for now
Bikes:
Posts: 1,275
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm buying myself an Aerospoke for Christmas.

edit* REAR
Zombie Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-07, 07:17 PM   #21
Gyeswho
Utilitarian Boy
 
Gyeswho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bronx, NY
Bikes: Check the sig to find out
Posts: 3,235
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
be expected not to go as fast (initially) on a sprint but hopefully you'll appreciate the added weight training and how well it does carry you once you get up to speed
Gyeswho is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:11 AM.