Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Senior Member save_alkaline's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    cincinnasti, oh
    My Bikes
    Mercier Kilo TT
    Posts
    199
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    brake question for my schwinn

    i've just about got my schwinn all setup and ready to ride. i just need to figure out my front brake. it's an 80 super le tour and the nashbar that i had on my kilo is completely different than that of the schwinn. not only do the pads not reach the wheel but the bolt appears to need more of traditional bolt and nut instead of the kind that goes into the mounting hole. i thought about getting the old school schwinn brakes that would have been originally mounted but they're that center pull deal and i would rather have the dual pivot. where can i find something that will work?
    1980 chicago made schwinn | IH Maverick 5.5

    braverygone.com

    it's a bike. stop taking it so serious. ride it and have fun.

  2. #2
    ThumperChump. ThunderChunky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    701
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    a tektro long reach should work.
    Quote Originally Posted by crushkilldstroy View Post
    While we're on the subject, does anyone have any ideas for a pair of pants that are like JNCO's but a little bit more aero?

  3. #3
    n+1 bikes
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    101
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shimano makes a long reach also. They probably have them at Campus Cyclery.
    Just keep pedaling.
    myspace.com/cincinnatisprintclub

  4. #4
    *****es love tarck kemmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Sandy, UT
    My Bikes
    so many
    Posts
    3,303
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'll still have the bolt issue though. You'll have to drill out the fork a bit so that the recessed nut thing reaches the bolt. Make sure not to drill it so big that the thing doesn't pass all the way through.

  5. #5
    . blickblocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3,862
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Drilling for a recessed nut is easy and worthwhile - almost all new brakes use a recessed nut.

  6. #6
    Senior Member save_alkaline's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    cincinnasti, oh
    My Bikes
    Mercier Kilo TT
    Posts
    199
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for all the info guys. i was really wondering about the nut. is drilling the only way then? is there a write up or anything on it so i don't screw it up. haha.
    1980 chicago made schwinn | IH Maverick 5.5

    braverygone.com

    it's a bike. stop taking it so serious. ride it and have fun.

  7. #7
    Grad Student for Hire LordFoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    2006 Lemond Tourmalet; 198(?) Gardin mid-fixie conversion
    Posts
    361
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by save_alkaline View Post
    thanks for all the info guys. i was really wondering about the nut. is drilling the only way then? is there a write up or anything on it so i don't screw it up. haha.
    Sheldon Brown comes through once again:
    See "Mounting recessed calipers on older frames". I did this on my old road bike and it was quite easy -- as Sheldon says on that webpage, drilling to expand an existing hole is super-easy.

  8. #8
    Senior Member save_alkaline's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    cincinnasti, oh
    My Bikes
    Mercier Kilo TT
    Posts
    199
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i figured he would have it but you just saved me a bunch of time finding it. thanks!
    1980 chicago made schwinn | IH Maverick 5.5

    braverygone.com

    it's a bike. stop taking it so serious. ride it and have fun.

  9. #9
    stay free. frankstoneline's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Ellensburg, WA
    My Bikes
    EAI Bare Knuckle, 1980's Ross Signature 292s 12 speed
    Posts
    1,557
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a super long reach cheapo brake caliper I'll mail you if you have a shorter reach one. Mine is a little too long reach. Pm me if you can use it, its only a matter of time before I get a new one.
    xoxo David
    Quote Originally Posted by metaljim View Post
    katana's out frank! always be ready.
    <edited>

  10. #10
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    not a bike lane in sight, TX
    Posts
    300
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The recessed bolt through the crown fork idea is so simple and elegant that I, with my clunky brain, would have never thought of it. My Colnago now has brakes!

  11. #11
    cab horn
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    1987 Bianchi Campione
    Posts
    28,295
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by evictionsurplus View Post
    The recessed bolt through the crown fork idea is so simple and elegant that I, with my clunky brain, would have never thought of it. My Colnago now has brakes!
    Excellent.
    Mes compaingnons cui j'amoie et cui j'aim,... Me di, chanson.

  12. #12
    Bilsko
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    89
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 on the Tektro long-reach. I'm using one on my '77 Super Le Tour 12.2 and it works nicely. Can't remember the part number right now, but I'll look it up and post it.

  13. #13
    Senior Member save_alkaline's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    cincinnasti, oh
    My Bikes
    Mercier Kilo TT
    Posts
    199
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frankstoneline View Post
    I have a super long reach cheapo brake caliper I'll mail you if you have a shorter reach one. Mine is a little too long reach. Pm me if you can use it, its only a matter of time before I get a new one.
    thanks for the offer but i'm going to keep it for my kilo since i can't use it on the schwinn.

    and thanks again for all the help guys! the drilling idea is, in fact, incredibly simple! looks like i'll be riding the schwinn in no time.
    1980 chicago made schwinn | IH Maverick 5.5

    braverygone.com

    it's a bike. stop taking it so serious. ride it and have fun.

  14. #14
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    santa clara, CA
    My Bikes
    1979 motobecane fixed, 2002 GT LTS-3 street stomper
    Posts
    123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LordFoo View Post
    Sheldon Brown comes through once again:
    See "Mounting recessed calipers on older frames". I did this on my old road bike and it was quite easy -- as Sheldon says on that webpage, drilling to expand an existing hole is super-easy.
    use plenty of "CUTTING FLUID" ( at hardware store) when you drill, clear the shards often, and try VERY hard to keep the drill square to the hole (jig or use a drill press)

    OBVIOUSLY you want a BRAND NEW SHARP CARBIDE (or TiN coated) BIT made for cutting metal (NOT the 10 year old bit that came with your ryobi)

    use a countersink bit on slow speed after to slightly chamfer the edges of the hole for professionalism.

  15. #15
    . blickblocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3,862
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by reckon View Post
    use plenty of "CUTTING FLUID" ( at hardware store) when you drill, clear the shards often, and try VERY hard to keep the drill square to the hole (jig or use a drill press)

    OBVIOUSLY you want a BRAND NEW SHARP CARBIDE (or TiN coated) BIT made for cutting metal (NOT the 10 year old bit that came with your ryobi)

    use a countersink bit on slow speed after to slightly chamfer the edges of the hole for professionalism.
    +1

    I just used a brand new but cheap bit, and now I regret it (chipped it on the last mm or so of drilling). I ran the drill at a high speed and let it do the cutting, rather than pushing the bit into the metal.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •