Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 48
  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Peugeot for Fixie Conversion, Help Please

    I have an early 70s Peugeot UO8 I'm converting to a single speed. Or at least trying to. I've encountered my first hurtle and would like some advice. The selection for reasonably priced 27" wheelsets seems pretty poor. There are some on ebay that go for around $200, but don't look great, and the availability of 700c is rediculous. Are there any drawbacks to running a 700c wheel on a frame set up for 27", and are there brakes that will bridge the gap in size.

    Thanks for the help.

  2. #2
    :)
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    duluth
    My Bikes
    '07 Pista, '09 Fantom Cross Uno, '8? Miyata, '67 Stingray, '0? Zoo mod trials, Tallbike, Chopper, '73 Schwinn Collegiate, '67 Triumph Chopper, '69 CB350, '58 BSA Spitfire, '73 CB450
    Posts
    3,392
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    pull off the gears/freehub and toss on a bmx freewheel.

    or track cog/bb lockring.


    convert to 700 if you want, look where the brakes are now, now imagine the rim 4mm lower, will they reach? if yes then you are golden.

  3. #3
    ass hatchet slopvehicle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,284
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    go 700c. so many more tire options, wheel options, etc. search for "long reach brakes"-- you'll probably find many topics on this.

  4. #4
    end of biters curiousincident's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    East Lansing
    Posts
    833
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    700c all the way. You can get some Mavic CXP-22s/Formula wheels for 140 at bicyclewheels.com, which I think is the best budget wheelset out there.

  5. #5
    Banned. teiaperigosa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    40th, up in the 30th
    Posts
    1,694
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hurdle

    french bb

    bo!

  6. #6
    extra bitter kyselad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    My Bikes
    Bridgestone Kabuki, Miyata Ninety
    Posts
    1,558
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    French bb is not a problem if you still have the cups -- you can swap the axle if you need to adjust. But yeah, no cartridge bb for you. Then again, depending on your wheel, you might be able to convert the existing goodies with spacers and a freewheel based on your current chainring location: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/singlespeed.html.

  7. #7
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    santa clara, CA
    My Bikes
    1979 motobecane fixed, 2002 GT LTS-3 street stomper
    Posts
    123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kyselad View Post
    French bb is not a problem if you still have the cups -- you can swap the axle if you need to adjust. But yeah, no cartridge bb for you. Then again, depending on your wheel, you might be able to convert the existing goodies with spacers and a freewheel based on your current chainring location: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/singlespeed.html.
    yours is probably NOT a french threaded BB,....might be swiss (which is cool because sealed BB's float right on, no mod needed) or just spend the $40-$50 and have it re-tapped for a standard BB.

  8. #8
    *****es love tarck kemmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Sandy, UT
    My Bikes
    so many
    Posts
    3,303
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by reckon View Post
    yours is probably NOT a french threaded BB,....might be swiss (which is cool because sealed BB's float right on, no mod needed) or just spend the $40-$50 and have it re-tapped for a standard BB.
    Early 70s Pug probably is french.

    OP:
    Your current brakes should reach, the mafac centerpulls are pretty long reach.

  9. #9
    Senior Member nayr497's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Nilbog
    My Bikes
    How'd I get this many?
    Posts
    1,420
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rather than start a new thread....

    I'm helping a friend out with a Peugeot conversion and had a question (or two). I am trying to use as many of the existing parts on the frame. I've converted an old road bike before so have some experience with this.

    Rear spacing is 125 mm.

    1) I'm thinking some of the decently priced hubs will fit the frame...something like a Formula hub?

    2) Chainline. I was hoping to use the existing BB and crankset. The inner chainring is too small but the outer should do. Something like 52/39. I was hoping to put the outer ring on the inside of the crank spider. Anyone done this? Did you have to monkey with the chainline and washers on the rear hub or the BB spindle length? I'd rather not start playing with the BB for reasons noted above in this thread.
    Last edited by nayr497; 02-02-08 at 12:48 PM. Reason: spelling error

  10. #10
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    saint paul, mn
    My Bikes
    precious junk
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1) The dropouts are a bit narrower than most modern hubs, but steel frames are have a lot of give so you should be able to make it fit without trouble.

    2) I've used the inner chainring with a track hub/cog and the chainline's been acceptably straight (<1 mm). Using the outer ring wouldn't work unless you moved it.

  11. #11
    Bicycle Repair Man !!! Sixty Fiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    YEG
    My Bikes
    See my sig...
    Posts
    26,411
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I converted my 1962 Peugeot last spring... when I found the bike it was destined for the crusher but I saw a frame that would be most suitable for a fixed gear conversion due to the high bb clearance.

    I replaced the cottered axle and cranks with a Sugino #5 tapered axle which allowed me to use an SR crank (Peugeot branded) and Sugino chain ring which is very true. This dropped a full pound of weight off the bike and even with 170's I have never come close to striking a pedal... there's 11.5 inches of clearance at the bb with the 700/25's I am running.

    I started with some NOS 27's I had but swapped those for some nice 700c Weinmann wheels with Normandy high flange hubs and did a ghetto conversion on the rear hub / cog.

    The only component that I have not been able to replace (yet) has been the steel seatpost... the stem, bars, and brake have all been replaced with lighter components and I replaced the Mafac brakes with a single vintage Dia-Compe centre pull as this is a much stiffer and more powerful brake.

    The end result is that I have a very solid 22 pound fixed gear that carried me more than 5000 trouble free km last year and I expect that the next 5000 km will be just as enjoyable.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    West Palm Beach, FL
    My Bikes
    Peugeot UO9 (fairly certain!)
    Posts
    28
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I converted a U09 or something to a fixed w/ 700 cm wheels. No problems at all, and I run a front break. I more or less re-did most of the drive train (cranks, chain ring, fixed cog, new chain) and kept the french BB. all I had to do was change out the spindle. No problems really, and I have an almost perfectly straight and taunt chain line.

    So don't hesitate! Go for it!

  13. #13
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    saint paul, mn
    My Bikes
    precious junk
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i converted my peugeot to threadless using this $10 profile design adapter and I couldn't be happier. It's basically a 1 1/8 steerer top mounted on a 1" quill bottom. You have to use some emery cloth sandpaper to make it fit (from 22.2 mm to 22), but that takes about 15 minutes and isn't noticeable as an endproduct.

    then I got a used stem for $4 making for a $14 like-new setup that I could swap for a different length at any time.

  14. #14
    cab horn
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    1987 Bianchi Campione
    Posts
    28,295
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver View Post
    I converted my 1962 Peugeot last spring... when I found the bike it was destined for the crusher but I saw a frame that would be most suitable for a fixed gear conversion due to the high bb clearance.

    I replaced the cottered axle and cranks with a Sugino #5 tapered axle which allowed me to use an SR crank (Peugeot branded) and Sugino chain ring which is very true. This dropped a full pound of weight off the bike and even with 170's I have never come close to striking a pedal... there's 11.5 inches of clearance at the bb with the 700/25's I am running.

    I started with some NOS 27's I had but swapped those for some nice 700c Weinmann wheels with Normandy high flange hubs and did a ghetto conversion on the rear hub / cog.

    The only component that I have not been able to replace (yet) has been the steel seatpost... the stem, bars, and brake have all been replaced with lighter components and I replaced the Mafac brakes with a single vintage Dia-Compe centre pull as this is a much stiffer and more powerful brake.

    The end result is that I have a very solid 22 pound fixed gear that carried me more than 5000 trouble free km last year and I expect that the next 5000 km will be just as enjoyable.
    Can you also convert green text to black?
    Mes compaingnons cui j'amoie et cui j'aim,... Me di, chanson.

  15. #15
    extra bitter kyselad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    My Bikes
    Bridgestone Kabuki, Miyata Ninety
    Posts
    1,558
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by reckon View Post
    yours is probably NOT a french threaded BB,....might be swiss (which is cool because sealed BB's float right on, no mod needed) or just spend the $40-$50 and have it re-tapped for a standard BB.
    Where do you get this information? Like Kemmer mentioned, it's likely French. Furthermore, "floating" an ISO sealed bracket, which has a narrower threading that French/Swiss, yields an unengaged bracket; plus, the thread pitch doesn't match. Re-tapping wider threading down to ISO would be an interesting feat.

  16. #16
    Bicycle Repair Man !!! Sixty Fiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    YEG
    My Bikes
    See my sig...
    Posts
    26,411
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by operator View Post
    Can you also convert green text to black?
    I'm in a colourful mood today.

    If it's a problem let me know... seriously.

  17. #17
    stay free. frankstoneline's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Ellensburg, WA
    My Bikes
    EAI Bare Knuckle, 1980's Ross Signature 292s 12 speed
    Posts
    1,557
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kyselad View Post
    Where do you get this information? Like Kemmer mentioned, it's likely French. Furthermore, "floating" an ISO sealed bracket, which has a narrower threading that French/Swiss, yields an unengaged bracket; plus, the thread pitch doesn't match. Re-tapping wider threading down to ISO would be an interesting feat.
    Glue.
    If it's french, you'll need to find a new axle, not as big of a deal as most of these dudes make it out to seem, guys in the C&V forum tend to have em laying around or know where to find em.
    xoxo David
    Quote Originally Posted by metaljim View Post
    katana's out frank! always be ready.
    <edited>

  18. #18
    otherwiseordinary lymbzero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    California
    Posts
    697
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    French BB.. for sure..

  19. #19
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    santa clara, CA
    My Bikes
    1979 motobecane fixed, 2002 GT LTS-3 street stomper
    Posts
    123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kyselad View Post
    Where do you get this information? Like Kemmer mentioned, it's likely French. Furthermore, "floating" an ISO sealed bracket, which has a narrower threading that French/Swiss, yields an unengaged bracket; plus, the thread pitch doesn't match. Re-tapping wider threading down to ISO would be an interesting feat.
    where did I get this information, mr. hostility?,..uh lets see,.why the very bike I'm riding now with the shimano sealed BB in it (70's motobecane=swiss BB: sez "TANGE japan 35XP1" on it) the shimano sealed BB from my other MTB fit right in, nice and tight. (perfect size for a straight chainline too! go figure!)

    and as far as re-tapping a BB ANYTHING is possible, or maybe you haven't visited a machine shop lately (btw I work in one and we could do it on our lunch hour), the question is: can you afford to do the work? (or is the bike really worth all the trouble and money?)

    but thank you for your warm response, I hope you get fleas.

  20. #20
    Senior Member DeafLamb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Portland, ME
    My Bikes
    Surly Steamroller, IRO Groupbuy, Trek 520, plus a bunch of homebrews
    Posts
    333
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by reckon View Post
    where did I get this information, mr. hostility?,..uh lets see,.why the very bike I'm riding now with the shimano sealed BB in it (70's motobecane=swiss BB: sez "TANGE japan 35XP1" on it) the shimano sealed BB from my other MTB fit right in, nice and tight. (perfect size for a straight chainline too! go figure!)

    and as far as re-tapping a BB ANYTHING is possible, or maybe you haven't visited a machine shop lately (btw I work in one and we could do it on our lunch hour), the question is: can you afford to do the work? (or is the bike really worth all the trouble and money?)

    but thank you for your warm response, I hope you get fleas.
    I would also be interested in how you re-tap a bottom bracket to a smaller diameter????

    I can only see it being possible if you fill the shell with metal and then do the tapping. But a normal bike shop wouldn't be able to do this, therefore most likely not an option.

    Changing the spindle in a French bottom bracket is not hard, and it is even possible to find new old stock French cups on ebay (i have some in my peugeot). Or if you got big bucks, get a phil woods bottom bracket with the French cups.

    If you do decide to keep original French bottom bracket, make sure to check it often. They have a tendency to loosen up because the fixed cup is right threaded. You might even want to put some locktite on it, and crank it down hard.

    Of course you could just read all this yourself....

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/bbsize.html

    -ray
    Blue Skies and Happy Trails.

  21. #21
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    santa clara, CA
    My Bikes
    1979 motobecane fixed, 2002 GT LTS-3 street stomper
    Posts
    123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DeafLamb View Post
    I would also be interested in how you re-tap a bottom bracket to a smaller diameter????

    I can only see it being possible if you fill the shell with metal and then do the tapping. But a normal bike shop wouldn't be able to do this, therefore most likely not an option.

    "But a normal bike shop wouldn't be able to do this, therefore most likely not an option"

    so if your LBS can't do it, it must be impossible? is that what your saying?
    wow, you kids really should visit your local machine shop once in your lifetime and at least make an ATTEMPT at grasping different concepts

    "nothing is impossible, except trying to convince the average person of this"

    or just go to a real bike shop like this one:
    http://www.shawscycles.com/mission.html

    it's called COUNTERBORING, then you sink in a sleeve (either fusor epoxy'd, or brazed in, then ream, face, and tap. (I learned this in high school, 35 years ago) and you only need to counterbore as far as the threads will go (68MM?)

    expensive, due to the multiple operations, but certainly not impossible, nor even exotic by any stretch.

    but don't even take my word for it, go and ask a machinist or call shaw's (tell them your mommy is rich first though!)

    anyone want my original tange swiss BB?
    Last edited by reckon; 02-03-08 at 01:28 PM.

  22. #22
    Senior Member colintdesign's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    102
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by reckon View Post
    where did I get this information, mr. hostility?,..uh lets see,.why the very bike I'm riding now with the shimano sealed BB in it (70's motobecane=swiss BB: sez "TANGE japan 35XP1" on it) the shimano sealed BB from my other MTB fit right in, nice and tight. (perfect size for a straight chainline too! go figure!)

    and as far as re-tapping a BB ANYTHING is possible, or maybe you haven't visited a machine shop lately (btw I work in one and we could do it on our lunch hour), the question is: can you afford to do the work? (or is the bike really worth all the trouble and money?)

    but thank you for your warm response, I hope you get fleas.
    Hi Reckon,
    Thanks for the info. I have an 82 motobecane mirage and have been trying to figure out if it is swiss or french. And now I know its Swiss. Can you tell me more about how you fit a cartridge in there? What model BB did you use?

    I have slowly been updating some parts on this bike and the crank is the only thing I haven't touched yet. Thanks.

  23. #23
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    santa clara, CA
    My Bikes
    1979 motobecane fixed, 2002 GT LTS-3 street stomper
    Posts
    123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by colintdesign View Post
    Hi Reckon,
    Thanks for the info. I have an 82 motobecane mirage and have been trying to figure out if it is swiss or french. And now I know its Swiss. Can you tell me more about how you fit a cartridge in there? What model BB did you use?

    I have slowly been updating some parts on this bike and the crank is the only thing I haven't touched yet. Thanks.

    it was a shimano 113mm sealed BB that I cannabilized from my GT LTS-3, forgive me I can't remember the model number. (maybe BB-UN52?)

    I really did NOT expect it to fit, I was just "this wont work", but the threads looked right, and it fit right in like it was made for it, nice and snug and it allowed a nearly perfect chainline with the sugino cranks as long as the ring was on the inside of the spider.

    I saw on sheldon browns bottom bracket page, he also sez that you can fit a standard sealed BB in a swiss threaded bike.

    from the number on the frame my super mirage is probably a 78-81 vintage
    Last edited by reckon; 02-03-08 at 03:16 PM.

  24. #24
    Sir Fallalot wroomwroomoops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland
    Posts
    5,179
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by reckon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kyselad View Post
    Where do you get this information? Like Kemmer mentioned, it's likely French. Furthermore, "floating" an ISO sealed bracket, which has a narrower threading that French/Swiss, yields an unengaged bracket; plus, the thread pitch doesn't match. Re-tapping wider threading down to ISO would be an interesting feat.
    where did I get this information, mr. hostility?,..uh lets see,.why the very bike I'm riding now with the shimano sealed BB in it (70's motobecane=swiss BB: sez "TANGE japan 35XP1" on it) the shimano sealed BB from my other MTB fit right in, nice and tight. (perfect size for a straight chainline too! go figure!)

    and as far as re-tapping a BB ANYTHING is possible, or maybe you haven't visited a machine shop lately (btw I work in one and we could do it on our lunch hour), the question is: can you afford to do the work? (or is the bike really worth all the trouble and money?)

    but thank you for your warm response, I hope you get fleas.
    Careful kyselad, he's gonna put you on his iggy list.

    threecircles: which direction are the threads on the drive side? Swiss are reverse (like BSA), french aren't.

  25. #25
    Perineal Pressurized dobber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    In Ebritated
    Posts
    6,557
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might find helpful information here

    http://cyclespeugeot.com/index.html
    This is Africa, 1943. War spits out its violence overhead and the sandy graveyard swallows it up. Her name is King Nine, B-25, medium bomber, Twelfth Air Force. On a hot, still morning she took off from Tunisia to bomb the southern tip of Italy. An errant piece of flak tore a hole in a wing tank and, like a wounded bird, this is where she landed, not to return on this day, or any other day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •