Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    griffin_ griffin_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    phila
    My Bikes
    raliegh "too lazy to make my own" rush hour
    Posts
    728
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    suggestions for something like the alien frame, but cheaper?

    i like that frame a lot, except for the stupid long drop out, but $500 is too much for my budget

    tax return, baby

  2. #2
    Senior Member NeilMonday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    My Bikes
    Surly Steamroller
    Posts
    276
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sparton yo!

  3. #3
    stay free. frankstoneline's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Ellensburg, WA
    My Bikes
    EAI Bare Knuckle, 1980's Ross Signature 292s 12 speed
    Posts
    1,557
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are looking for a lugged steel frame, nothing comes to mind too much cheaper than that. If you are looking for a nice classic looking frame, and dont care much about welds, the soma rush is a super nice frame, IRO makes good frames and so does Spicer. I think there was a similar thread a while ago, you might jump on search for "lugged frame" or something.
    xoxo David
    Quote Originally Posted by metaljim View Post
    katana's out frank! always be ready.
    <edited>

  4. #4
    stay free. frankstoneline's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Ellensburg, WA
    My Bikes
    EAI Bare Knuckle, 1980's Ross Signature 292s 12 speed
    Posts
    1,557
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilMonday View Post
    sparton yo!
    edit: I was going to say they are boatanchors and a waste of time, but I just checked em out some and it looks to me like they are considerably more "finished" now from the last time I looked at em.
    xoxo David
    Quote Originally Posted by metaljim View Post
    katana's out frank! always be ready.
    <edited>

  5. #5
    not actually Nickatina andre nickatina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    OR
    Posts
    4,447
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wade through ebay for old steel track frames. A lot of times you can find something from Italy (though not a premier builder like say, Colnago) for a pretty good deal, albeit used. Typically Reynolds 531, too.

  6. #6
    griffin_ griffin_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    phila
    My Bikes
    raliegh "too lazy to make my own" rush hour
    Posts
    728
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    those spartons look like crap

    and i'm definitely not going the iro route
    i need something mildly unique, it will be my "nice" bike

  7. #7
    not actually Nickatina andre nickatina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    OR
    Posts
    4,447
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want nice, you gotta spend bucks. Or make friends fast and get a hook up deal. All my nice frames have been under 600, and NJS at that.

  8. #8
    stay free. frankstoneline's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Ellensburg, WA
    My Bikes
    EAI Bare Knuckle, 1980's Ross Signature 292s 12 speed
    Posts
    1,557
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by andre nickatina View Post
    If you want nice, you gotta spend bucks. Or make friends fast and get a hook up deal. All my nice frames have been under 600, and NJS at that.
    agreed, I mean, a lot of people like pista concepts, you can get those framesets for about 550, but I would say right around there is the start of "nice" and "unique" though a concept isnt as unique as a lot of people would like to believe. "nice" on the cheap is hard to find, though used NJS frames can be found for a little less than 500.
    xoxo David
    Quote Originally Posted by metaljim View Post
    katana's out frank! always be ready.
    <edited>

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    seattle
    Posts
    76
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frankstoneline View Post
    agreed, I mean, a lot of people like pista concepts, you can get those framesets for about 550, but I would say right around there is the start of "nice" and "unique" though a concept isnt as unique as a lot of people would like to believe. "nice" on the cheap is hard to find, though used NJS frames can be found for a little less than 500.
    uhh, where?

  10. #10
    stay free. frankstoneline's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Ellensburg, WA
    My Bikes
    EAI Bare Knuckle, 1980's Ross Signature 292s 12 speed
    Posts
    1,557
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thanks View Post
    uhh, where?
    where are concepts less than 600?
    I dont know, I remember just being browsing around and seeing framesets for like 550 somewhere. I could be wrong/looking at an unreliable source.
    If you were wondering where NJS frames are cheaper try ebay, a couple have sold for around 450 in the past couple days.
    xoxo David
    Quote Originally Posted by metaljim View Post
    katana's out frank! always be ready.
    <edited>

  11. #11
    ...
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    150
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thanks View Post
    uhh, where?
    $549 is indeed the retail price for the Pista Concept frameset.

    http://www.bikyle.com/Track.asp#Bianchi

  12. #12
    Senior Member doughboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    267
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by InternetDisease View Post
    $549 is indeed the retail price for the Pista Concept frameset.

    http://www.bikyle.com/Track.asp#Bianchi
    Most places are sold out of Concept frames. There was a thread not long ago about where to find the few remaining ones...

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    seattle
    Posts
    76
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frankstoneline View Post
    where are concepts less than 600?
    I dont know, I remember just being browsing around and seeing framesets for like 550 somewhere. I could be wrong/looking at an unreliable source.
    If you were wondering where NJS frames are cheaper try ebay, a couple have sold for around 450 in the past couple days.
    i was talking about the njs frames. and i would need a 57-58cm and those go for grips on ebay. i hate being tall.

  14. #14
    not actually Nickatina andre nickatina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    OR
    Posts
    4,447
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bikyle says '08s will be here in March.

  15. #15
    ...
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    150
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...
    Last edited by InternetDisease; 03-04-08 at 11:21 PM.

  16. #16
    my bike Owns me+my wallet Kol.klink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Sudbury, Ontario
    My Bikes
    Px-10 singeld, 2007 KHS filte 100
    Posts
    710
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frankstoneline View Post
    edit: I was going to say they are boatanchors and a waste of time, but I just checked em out some and it looks to me like they are considerably more "finished" now from the last time I looked at em.

    You mean they took better photo's and jacked up the price 70$. ?

    Does any one know how much they Actually weight. last i heard it was 7ish pounds, That leads me to believe they have got to be something less than 4130. I admit they look nice but old Lugged 4130 Cromo frames can be had for 0-50$ Sanded and sprayed will look nearly as nice for potentially as little as 20$

    If they weighted Something reasonable. and where 170$ i would be all over one

    Last edited by Kol.klink; 02-04-08 at 08:52 AM.

  17. #17
    ...
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    150
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...
    Last edited by InternetDisease; 03-04-08 at 11:21 PM.

  18. #18
    partly metal, partly real sp00ki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Philadelphia.
    My Bikes
    Hummer H2
    Posts
    3,597
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by griffin_ View Post
    i need something mildly unique, it will be my "nice" bike
    Quote Originally Posted by griffin_ View Post
    $500 is too much for my budget
    Check your math, broseph.
    Quote Originally Posted by bonechilling View Post
    Road [racing] is one of the only sports where adult men can compete in a non-scholastic setting, so inevitably 8/10 racers are fiercely-competitive nobodies. It's fun as hell, but it's also the foremost refuge of defeated and aging jocks, turned middle-management types.

  19. #19
    Senior Member NeilMonday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    My Bikes
    Surly Steamroller
    Posts
    276
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kol.klink View Post
    You mean they took better photo's and jacked up the price 70$. ?

    Does any one know how much they Actually weight. last i heard it was 7ish pounds, That leads me to believe they have got to be something less than 4130. I admit they look nice but old Lugged 4130 Cromo frames can be had for 0-50$ Sanded and sprayed will look nearly as nice for potentially as little as 20$

    If they weighted Something reasonable. and where 170$ i would be all over one
    I think they hired a glamor shots photographer for this set of frames.

    If a lugged 61 cm frame weighs 6.9 pounds, (Sparton Track)
    and a welded 56 cm frame weighs 6.3 pounds, (Surly Steamroller)
    then I would conclude that they have similar tubing.

    That being said I will be getting a kilo TT frameset.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •