Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 55
  1. #1
    I_luv_hooters
    Guest

    DeepVs, DT Swiss1.2s, Mavic OpenPro CDs, or ______...?

    OK so I've always had Deep Vs because they are the norm and are a safe choice. Now I'm thinking on trying something new with my new Phil hubs. Q: What other rims are you guys crazy about? I saw a pair of DTSwiss 1.2s that were very nice to look at (but they have a huge MSW that breaks up the black). I've been also considering OpenPro CDs (nice and all black - even the brake surface!). Basically I'd like to try something new that is bombproof, beautiful, but somehow still light. Maybe all black, too. Oh yeah..., and I weigh 230lbs!
    Last edited by I_luv_hooters; 02-16-08 at 04:41 PM.

  2. #2
    Banned zelah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Portland
    My Bikes
    Mercier Kilo TT
    Posts
    2,536
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    open pro

  3. #3
    Run What 'Ya Brung bonechilling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    5,696
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well you weigh 100 lbs more than me, but I've been very happy with my Open Pro 4 CD rims. They look classy, like old anodized tubulars, they weigh next to nothing, and they haven't needed a truing yet since I built them about a year ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by doofo View Post
    the main cause of fit problems is riding your bike

    you should have just stopped riding so you could focus on color coordination

  4. #4
    I_luv_hooters
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by tehz View Post
    open pro
    Yeah, I'm thinking that too. Hey do the open pro CDs and ceramic have any advantage over the regulars? And does that black brake surface wearout and turn silver? I really like the big eyelets w/silver nipples on a all-black wheelset.

  5. #5
    Run What 'Ya Brung bonechilling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    5,696
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I_luv_hooters View Post
    Yeah, I'm thinking that too. Hey do the open pro CDs and ceramic have any advantage over the regulars? And does that black brake surface wearout and turn silver? I really like the big eyelets w/silver nipples on a all-black wheelset.
    I know that Jobst Brandt says they don't brake better, that it's impossible, and he's a respected engineer, but I have done my own test, where I replaced my flat-tire Open Pro CD front wheel with a standard silver Open Pro from another bike, and I'll eat my shoe if the CD didn't stop faster.

    The surface does wear, but wears very, very slowly. I don't think I've ever seen it turn silver, it just starts to get black marks all over it. I'd guess that, after enough time, you'd get down to the silver, but it's not like running a brake on a painted Deep V or anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by doofo View Post
    the main cause of fit problems is riding your bike

    you should have just stopped riding so you could focus on color coordination

  6. #6
    roll'em high shants's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    columbus, ohio
    Posts
    2,392
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the phil -> open pro combo is the jam. i have a set of them on my makino and am about to build another set for a different bike.

  7. #7
    Sir Fallalot wroomwroomoops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland
    Posts
    5,161
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I_luv_hooters View Post
    OK so I've always had Deep Vs because they are the norm and are a safe choice. Now I'm thinking on trying something new with my new Phil hubs. Q: What other rims are you guys crazy about? I saw a pair of DTSwiss 1.2s that were very nice to look at (but they have a huge MSW that breaks up the black). I've been also considering OpenPro CDs (nice and all black - even the brake surface!). Basically I'd like to try something new that is bombproof, beautiful, but somehow still light. Maybe all black, too. Oh yeah..., and I weigh 230lbs!
    What tyre size do you plan on using? I mean, what width?

  8. #8
    Senior Member mihlbach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    6,319
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CXP 33
    Velocity Fusion

    You want deep, black, and light? Try a Niobium 30.
    http://fairwheelbikes.com/index.php?...roducts_id=683

  9. #9
    Senior Member rduenas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    718
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mavic Ellipses

  10. #10
    I_luv_hooters
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by wroomwroomoops View Post
    What tyre size do you plan on using? I mean, what width?
    25mm, why?

  11. #11
    I_luv_hooters
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by rduenas View Post
    Mavic Ellipses
    Huh?Isnt that a whole wheelset? ...i'm only shopping for rims, as i have a Phil hubset.

  12. #12
    Sir Fallalot wroomwroomoops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland
    Posts
    5,161
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I_luv_hooters View Post
    25mm, why?
    Because you have to find the correct rim width to match the tyre width you want to use. Just FYI, you know that wider tyres are better suited for clydes, right? Because they can support heavier loads, and at lower pressure.

  13. #13
    I_luv_hooters
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mihlbach View Post
    You want deep, black, and light? Try a Niobium 30.
    http://fairwheelbikes.com/index.php?...roducts_id=683
    Wow, those look awesome.


    Never heard of them. I'm going to look into these.

  14. #14
    Senior Member rduenas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    718
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I_luv_hooters View Post
    Huh?Isnt that a whole wheelset? ...i'm only shopping for rims, as i have a Phil hubset.
    Bah. That's what I get for not really reading.

    Deep V's are the "norm" and bombproof. And I think they're getting a little played out.

    If I were building a wheelset right now, I'd go with some Open Pros or Aeroheads.

  15. #15
    Senior Member rduenas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    718
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, I weigh a little less than you, and my 3X laced 32H Deep V are still perfect after a long while.

  16. #16
    Sir Fallalot wroomwroomoops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland
    Posts
    5,161
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I_luv_hooters View Post
    25mm, why?
    Do you think you could go as high as 28mm?

  17. #17
    cab horn
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    1987 Bianchi Campione
    Posts
    28,298
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I_luv_hooters View Post
    Wow, those look awesome.


    Never heard of them. I'm going to look into these.
    IRC Cadence aero is what they're called.
    Mes compaingnons cui j'amoie et cui j'aim,... Me di, chanson.

  18. #18
    I_luv_hooters
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by wroomwroomoops View Post
    Do you think you could go as high as 28mm?
    I've never tried tires that big. Is there an advantage for me because of how big I am or something? I ride gatorskins and, yes, they come in 28mm and those will fit my bike fine. What are you thinking?

  19. #19
    Sir Fallalot wroomwroomoops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland
    Posts
    5,161
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, anyway: if you want to use 25mm tyres, one of the strongest and still cool looking rims is the Alex DA28. Not ultralight, but then, the Phil's aren't either. But ultrastrong - and strong and durable is what you're going for, I understand. You can get them at Jensonusa.com for $40, which is an OK price, but if you shop around you could find them for $35. You won't find them for less, though.

    If you would consider the 28mm tyres, which makes much more sense for heavy cyclists as yourself, you could use one of the strongest rims on the market: Salsa Delgado Cross.

    The non-plus-ultra of strong rims is the Velocity Dyad, but they definitely wouldn't take such narrow tyres. They are my next rims, when I get a job.

  20. #20
    Sir Fallalot wroomwroomoops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland
    Posts
    5,161
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I_luv_hooters View Post
    I've never tried tires that big. Is there an advantage for me because of how big I am or something? I ride gatorskins and, yes, they come in 28mm and those will fit my bike fine. What are you thinking?
    If you check the Schwalbe online catalogue, you will see that the wider the tyre, the heavier load it can support at lower pressure. Download, for example, the "Bicycle" catalogue from the link above, and see the table on page 27.

  21. #21
    A little North of Hell
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,301
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ambrosio Excellence
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XXXI

  22. #22
    not actually Nickatina andre nickatina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    OR
    Posts
    4,447
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I built a new wheelset today, I'd lace up some of those Niobium 30's that Mihlbach is always bringing up. They sound pretty damn sweet. The other ones that are like 390g could be pretty nice too. 36 rear 28 front. The OP should do 36 both.

  23. #23
    Utilitarian Boy Gyeswho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Bronx, NY
    My Bikes
    Check the sig to find out
    Posts
    3,235
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 32mm tire on my PW/OP set if that is of any help to yall. running CX tires for the winter. They are noticeably heavier than my Suzue Promax to CD OP wheelset.

  24. #24
    Senior Member mihlbach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    6,319
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I_luv_hooters View Post
    Wow, those look awesome.


    Never heard of them. I'm going to look into these.
    They are Tiawanese rims made by KinLin, but sold under a variety of different brands and come in a 19mm and 30mm depths and are about as light as you can get for aluminum rims. They have a great reputation among the roadie crowd for custom wheel builds. I have a set of 30 mm deep rims on my road bike and they are pretty awesome. I'm dying to build up a set of fg wheels with these things.

  25. #25
    shadybikes jacobpriest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Waco/Plano/Dallas/Brooklyn, Texas
    Posts
    1,141
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dt swiss are some of the most underrated track/fixed rims out there... i would go with that...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •