Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-27-08, 08:51 AM   #1
sp00ki
partly metal, partly real
Thread Starter
 
sp00ki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Philadelphia.
Bikes: Hummer H2
Posts: 3,597
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
does anyone have a trek soho s?

Does anyone have a trek soho s? If so, please reply or pm me.
I'm going to be picking one up next week @ cost to use as a fendered/fully racked/panniered/etc grocery bike, but i had a few questions about components.
trek's site is junk, and gives me no info on things like crank length or bb size/type, let alone chainline, etc.
(a link to a page with actual info would be helpful too)

thx.
sp00ki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-08, 08:54 AM   #2
Ziemas
Senior Member
 
Ziemas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Riga, Latvia
Bikes:
Posts: 10,082
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Why did you settle on this bike as opposed to the other options?
Ziemas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-08, 09:06 AM   #3
NitroPye
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Treks don't make good grocery bikes because of $$$
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-08, 09:10 AM   #4
ralphm2k
Lamb of God
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 447
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Check out the Raleigh One Way first. The 2008's are a bit more (Brooks saddle and leather bar tape). You can get a 2007 for about the same price as the Soho - and they already have fenders.
ralphm2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-08, 09:22 AM   #5
sp00ki
partly metal, partly real
Thread Starter
 
sp00ki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Philadelphia.
Bikes: Hummer H2
Posts: 3,597
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziemas View Post
Why did you settle on this bike as opposed to the other options?
1) price (at cost, we're looking at just over $300 complete)
2) chainstay length (445mm)
3) weight (light)
4) front and rear rackmounts, dual mounts on dropout for fender and rack
5) price (at cost, we're looking at just over $300 complete)
6) little things like chainring guard and chain guard (the idea of my pants or anything getting caught in my drivetrain with a full load of groceries makes me sad)
7) price (at cost, we're looking at just over $300 complete)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphm2k View Post
Check out the Raleigh One Way first. The 2008's are a bit more (Brooks saddle and leather bar tape). You can get a 2007 for about the same price as the Soho - and they already have fenders.
i can't find the 07 in my size anywhere for under 680. granted, 680 isn't expensive, but it doesn't beat $310.

the soho s is ugly. very ugly.
but after adding black front/rear fenders (i already have a pair), black folding panniers and moustache bars, it might not look all that bad.
sp00ki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-08, 09:25 AM   #6
veeco23
.
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 108
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i support the soho idea. i was looking at one recently and thought it would make a great work bike, with the addition of a front rack.
veeco23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-08, 09:32 AM   #7
Ziemas
Senior Member
 
Ziemas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Riga, Latvia
Bikes:
Posts: 10,082
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp00ki View Post
1) price (at cost, we're looking at just over $300 complete)
2) chainstay length (445mm)
3) weight (light)
4) front and rear rackmounts, dual mounts on dropout for fender and rack
5) price (at cost, we're looking at just over $300 complete)
6) little things like chainring guard and chain guard (the idea of my pants or anything getting caught in my drivetrain with a full load of groceries makes me sad)
7) price (at cost, we're looking at just over $300 complete)



i can't find the 07 in my size anywhere for under 680. granted, 680 isn't expensive, but it doesn't beat $310.

the soho s is ugly. very ugly.
but after adding black front/rear fenders (i already have a pair), black folding panniers and moustache bars, it might not look all that bad.
Cost aside, is it really what you want in a bike? It seems quite different form what you originally posted about. How much will a new rear wheel cost?
Ziemas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-08, 09:39 AM   #8
sp00ki
partly metal, partly real
Thread Starter
 
sp00ki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Philadelphia.
Bikes: Hummer H2
Posts: 3,597
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
the new rear wheel is going to be an issue no matter what bike i get. like i said, i'm looking for fixed/fixed so my gf and i can share the bicycle with the gearing that works for each of us. i've accepted that, and am not factoring it in when comparing bike costs because it's going to be an issue regardless.
as far as what i'm looking for, on the surface it doesn't match. but once you look at the details (long chainstays, front and rear rackmounts, ample fender mounts, lightweight frame), it's not far from what i need.
like, at all.

it sounds like you'd avoid the soho s-- what are your reasons?

Last edited by sp00ki; 02-27-08 at 10:05 AM.
sp00ki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-08, 10:05 AM   #9
ralphm2k
Lamb of God
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 447
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp00ki View Post
1) price (at cost, we're looking at just over $300 complete)
That is a good price.
It is kind of ugly stock. Might look better with fenders and a basket.
ralphm2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-08, 10:08 AM   #10
sp00ki
partly metal, partly real
Thread Starter
 
sp00ki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Philadelphia.
Bikes: Hummer H2
Posts: 3,597
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
yep.
that and moustache bars might actually make it look kinda hot. gonna mock something up in photoshop later because i'm an obsessive nut with no concept of patience.
sp00ki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-08, 10:31 AM   #11
Ziemas
Senior Member
 
Ziemas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Riga, Latvia
Bikes:
Posts: 10,082
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp00ki View Post
the new rear wheel is going to be an issue no matter what bike i get. like i said, i'm looking for fixed/fixed so my gf and i can share the bicycle with the gearing that works for each of us. i've accepted that, and am not factoring it in when comparing bike costs because it's going to be an issue regardless.
as far as what i'm looking for, on the surface it doesn't match. but once you look at the details (long chainstays, front and rear rackmounts, ample fender mounts, lightweight frame), it's not far from what i need.
like, at all.

it sounds like you'd avoid the soho s-- what are your reasons?
Because it doesn't sound like the bike you truly want judging by your other post. And I seriously question is you'll actually use a front rack. A basket I could see, but not a rack.

Also, I think you are swayed by the cost, not the bike itself. I was looking for something similar and after much searching settled on an IRO Rob Roy. What don't you like about the Rob Roy? For one, you can get it with the wheels you actually want....and for two I'm willing to bet those handbuilt wheels will be a lot stronger than any machine built Trek wheel.
Ziemas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-08, 10:56 AM   #12
yonderboy
Lurker for Life
 
yonderboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: PDX
Bikes:
Posts: 908
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I rode one of the older models (which I guess is the Soho 4.0 now) at the LBS once. It was the model with the EBB and disc brakes, anyway.

It rode like a 29er with slicks. It's got suspension-adjusted geometry, so don't expect it to ride like a road bike.
yonderboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-08, 11:24 AM   #13
sp00ki
partly metal, partly real
Thread Starter
 
sp00ki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Philadelphia.
Bikes: Hummer H2
Posts: 3,597
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziemas View Post
Because it doesn't sound like the bike you truly want judging by your other post. And I seriously question is you'll actually use a front rack. A basket I could see, but not a rack.

Also, I think you are swayed by the cost, not the bike itself. I was looking for something similar and after much searching settled on an IRO Rob Roy. What don't you like about the Rob Roy? For one, you can get it with the wheels you actually want....and for two I'm willing to bet those handbuilt wheels will be a lot stronger than any machine built Trek wheel.
you're right, cost does factor into it.
the way i'm looking at it, the rob roy would be a good choice, but what does it bring to the table that the soho s doesn't? that's what it comes down to right now. regardless of what i wanted initially, there's no reason to spend more on a bike. the soho s has everything i needed, period.
and like i said, regardless of what frame/bike/etc i went with, i'm rebuilding the rear wheel to my specs, so that's a non issue.
when you consider the cost of the rob roy frame (is it 300?) plus parts, you're looking at lots more money for something that doesn't give me any advantage.
but seriously, wheel aside, what would something like a rob roy offer that the soho s doesn't?
remember, this is a bike i'll only use once or twice a week to go grocery shopping, maybe grab a case of beer occasionally, etc.

*ed: in fact, i just double checked. i thought the bike had 700x28c rims with 32 spokes; turns out it has 36 spokes. so really, my rear wheel issue is partly saved with the soho s-- all i need is a new hub and for my lbs to re-lace the wheel and i'm set.

Last edited by sp00ki; 02-27-08 at 11:45 AM.
sp00ki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-08, 11:41 AM   #14
crushkilldstroy
Hello.
 
crushkilldstroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: West Seattle
Bikes:
Posts: 2,902
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yonderboy View Post
I rode one of the older models (which I guess is the Soho 4.0 now) at the LBS once. It was the model with the EBB and disc brakes, anyway.

It rode like a 29er with slicks. It's got suspension-adjusted geometry, so don't expect it to ride like a road bike.
This has me intrigued. Does it have clearance for knobbies? If so, 300ish dollars would be a killer deal for jumping into that market.

Edit! I just googled the Soho S and it has caliper brakes. That answers my question.
crushkilldstroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-08, 11:46 AM   #15
sp00ki
partly metal, partly real
Thread Starter
 
sp00ki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Philadelphia.
Bikes: Hummer H2
Posts: 3,597
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
note, that's dealer cost price, not retail. they retail for five plus, i'm getting a "family discount" (though everyone knows someone, so that might not be too hard)
sp00ki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-08, 11:51 AM   #16
crushkilldstroy
Hello.
 
crushkilldstroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: West Seattle
Bikes:
Posts: 2,902
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp00ki View Post
note, that's dealer cost price, not retail. they retail for five plus, i'm getting a "family discount" (though everyone knows someone, so that might not be too hard)
crushkilldstroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-08, 11:52 AM   #17
Ziemas
Senior Member
 
Ziemas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Riga, Latvia
Bikes:
Posts: 10,082
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp00ki View Post
you're right, cost does factor into it.
the way i'm looking at it, the rob roy would be a good choice, but what does it bring to the table that the soho s doesn't? that's what it comes down to right now. regardless of what i wanted initially, there's no reason to spend more on a bike. the soho s has everything i needed, period.
and like i said, regardless of what frame/bike/etc i went with, i'm rebuilding the rear wheel to my specs, so that's a non issue.
when you consider the cost of the rob roy frame (is it 300?) plus parts, you're looking at lots more money for something that doesn't give me any advantage.
but seriously, wheel aside, what would something like a rob roy offer that the soho s doesn't?
remember, this is a bike i'll only use once or twice a week to go grocery shopping, maybe grab a case of beer occasionally, etc.

*ed: in fact, i just double checked. i thought the bike had 700x28c rims with 32 spokes; turns out it has 36 spokes. so really, my rear wheel issue is partly saved with the soho s-- all i need is a new hub and for my lbs to re-lace the wheel and i'm set.
If it's a bike you only plan to use once a week for hauling stuff I'd just as soon convert an old road bike. You never mentioned just how little you'd actually use it......

Oh, and 700x28c refers to tire, not rim size.
Ziemas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-08, 12:02 PM   #18
sp00ki
partly metal, partly real
Thread Starter
 
sp00ki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Philadelphia.
Bikes: Hummer H2
Posts: 3,597
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziemas View Post
If it's a bike you only plan to use once a week for hauling stuff I'd just as soon convert an old road bike. You never mentioned just how little you'd actually use it......
??
it sounds like you're just upset that trek made an affordable bike that makes the most sense for this application.
for the price i'm paying and what i'm getting, converting an old road bike makes less sense than going with the soho s.

anyway, back to the topic: does anyone have one? i have a few questions.
sp00ki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-08, 12:09 PM   #19
Ziemas
Senior Member
 
Ziemas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Riga, Latvia
Bikes:
Posts: 10,082
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp00ki View Post
??
it sounds like you're just upset that trek made a bike that makes the most sense for this application.
for the price i'm paying and what i'm getting, converting an old road bike makes less sense than going with the soho s.

anyway, back to the topic: does anyone have one? i have a few questions.
Huh? Why should I care who makes the frame?

Experience has taught me that trying to make something that isn't what I wanted in the first place work, but I bought because it was a 'deal', almost always ends up costing more in the long run.
Ziemas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-08, 12:12 PM   #20
sp00ki
partly metal, partly real
Thread Starter
 
sp00ki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Philadelphia.
Bikes: Hummer H2
Posts: 3,597
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i'm not buying it because it's a deal.
i'm buying it because it is what i need.
-445mm chainstays
-rackmounts
-dual fender/rack mounts on dropouts
-extras like chainring and chain protectors
-light weight
the bike isn't lacking. you still haven't given me a reason that this bike isn't ideal for what i'm doing. honestly, i'm curious. i've never done touring, so i don't know why you're so against this bike. where does it fall short?
in fact, i found the bike and decided it was a good idea before i even knew the price-- that was just what sealed the deal.
i can get what i need and pay 6-700 dollars, or get what i need and pay 300.

Last edited by sp00ki; 02-27-08 at 12:19 PM.
sp00ki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-08, 12:20 PM   #21
Ziemas
Senior Member
 
Ziemas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Riga, Latvia
Bikes:
Posts: 10,082
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp00ki View Post
i'm not buying it because it's a deal.
i'm buying it because it is what i need.
-445mm chainstays
-rackmounts
-dual fender/rack mounts on dropouts
-extras like chainring and chain protectors
-light weight
nothing is lacking. you still haven't given me a reason that this bike isn't ideal for what i'm doing. honestly, i'm curious. i've never done touring, so i don't know why you're so against this bike. where does it fall short?
in fact, i found the bike and decided it was a good idea before i even knew the price-- that was just what sealed the deal.
i can get what i need and pay 6-700 dollars, or get what i need and pay 300.
The biggest advantage to the Rob Roy is that it can fit wider tires and fenders. In my experience the major bike makers leave little room for tires larger than stock on their frames.

The RR is also a much more versatile frame should you decided that hauling crap isn't for you. And it's made of steel, which you said you wanted. It'll also have a higher resale value should you need to sell it.
Ziemas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-08, 12:47 PM   #22
Ken Wind
VOTE FOR KEN WIND
 
Ken Wind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: U.S.A.
Bikes:
Posts: 980
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
IRO doesn't even sell the Rob Roy now. It seems like sp00ki has his mind made up.
Ken Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-08, 12:58 PM   #23
riderx
BFSSFG old timer
 
riderx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Fredrock
Bikes:
Posts: 1,913
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That bike is perfect for his purpose and he's not going to need wider tires so the point is moot. At the price he is paying if he ever wants to sell it he'll get most of his money back.
riderx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-08, 01:04 PM   #24
Pfutz
Senior Member
 
Pfutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: minneapolis
Bikes:
Posts: 546
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziemas View Post
The biggest advantage to the Rob Roy is that it can fit wider tires and fenders. In my experience the major bike makers leave little room for tires larger than stock on their frames.

The RR is also a much more versatile frame should you decided that hauling crap isn't for you. And it's made of steel, which you said you wanted. It'll also have a higher resale value should you need to sell it.
I think a better question is why the hell are you so set on him getting a rob roy? Who cares what he rides, he didn't ask for your imput on what bike to buy, he asked for info from soho riders...
Pfutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-08, 01:08 PM   #25
Ziemas
Senior Member
 
Ziemas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Riga, Latvia
Bikes:
Posts: 10,082
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by riderx View Post
That bike is perfect for his purpose and he's not going to need wider tires so the point is moot. At the price he is paying if he ever wants to sell it he'll get most of his money back.
I was going by his other thread where he said he wanted 700x35mm tires.
Ziemas is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:56 PM.