Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Ohio
    My Bikes
    Shogun Road Bike
    Posts
    19
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Conversion: 10 speed to fixed

    Hello Bike Forum members,

    I disassembled my older 10 speed bike to repaint it and in the process decided that it would be a good idea to turn it into a fixed-gear bicycle. I understand that I could get a track hub and such for it, but I'm going to try to use the original wheel and hub to keep the price down. I've read some very good articles on the subject of conversion and even some threads on this message board but my questions haven't been fully answered. I'm not entirely sure if I need a new back gear cog, or if I can remove all but one from the back wheel and the freewheel to achieve the same thing.

    Along with this, I'm unsure if I can remove all the gears but one at the crank and use these two original gears to power my bike. There's also the issue of which gear sizes I need which I haven't fully determined. Would anyone mind enlightening me on this subject?

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    tucson
    Posts
    271
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you should find some non-internet advice on making a fixed wheel (suicide hub), such as someone knowledgeable to show you how to do it, because, if done incorrectly, suicide hubs can be very dangerous

  3. #3
    Tarck Bike Dot Com bigbadwimp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Beaver Falls, PA
    Posts
    252
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by okay View Post
    you should find some non-internet advice on making a fixed wheel (suicide hub), such as someone knowledgeable to show you how to do it, because, if done incorrectly, suicide hubs can be very dangerous
    Suicide hubs are fine as long as you run a brake.

  4. #4
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    tucson
    Posts
    271
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah but a lot of fixed riders dont run brakes, so i was just giving him a heads up in case he decides against rocking some brakes

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Ohio
    My Bikes
    Shogun Road Bike
    Posts
    19
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm of the opinion that breaks are a must, especially on the set-up I'm envisioning where it's not a proper track hub.

  6. #6
    Tarck Bike Dot Com bigbadwimp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Beaver Falls, PA
    Posts
    252
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimhoff View Post
    I'm of the opinion that breaks are a must, especially on the set-up I'm envisioning where it's not a proper track hub.
    Yes, go with that thought.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    199
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Surly Fixxer. it removes your freewheel and adds a space for a fixed cog. Its also removable if you'd like to take it off.

  8. #8
    Tarck Bike Dot Com bigbadwimp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Beaver Falls, PA
    Posts
    252
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hazylines View Post
    Surly Fixxer. it removes your freewheel and adds a space for a fixed cog. Its also removable if you'd like to take it off.
    Stop being so ridiculous. Sheesh.

  9. #9
    The Legitimiser Sammyboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Southampton, UK
    My Bikes
    Gazelle Trim Trophy, EG Bates Track Bike, HR Bates Cantiflex bike, Nigel Dean fixed gear conversion, Raleigh Royal, Falcon Westminster.
    Posts
    4,848
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fixxer only works on a cassette hub, which this probably isn't.

  10. #10
    ...no COast... Nickle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Between the gutter and the curb
    My Bikes
    Canfield Balance, custom Dobermann, Echo ES2, Haro Group 1, Soul Cycles Loki, & Bridgestone road bike
    Posts
    30
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is this 10 speed a Ross model, blue in color and in “fairly” good shape? If so, there's some people who want to speak to you...

  11. #11
    aka mattio queerpunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    5,416
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimhoff View Post
    Hello Bike Forum members,

    I disassembled my older 10 speed bike to repaint it and in the process decided that it would be a good idea to turn it into a fixed-gear bicycle. I understand that I could get a track hub and such for it, but I'm going to try to use the original wheel and hub to keep the price down. I've read some very good articles on the subject of conversion and even some threads on this message board but my questions haven't been fully answered. I'm not entirely sure if I need a new back gear cog, or if I can remove all but one from the back wheel and the freewheel to achieve the same thing.

    Along with this, I'm unsure if I can remove all the gears but one at the crank and use these two original gears to power my bike. There's also the issue of which gear sizes I need which I haven't fully determined. Would anyone mind enlightening me on this subject?

    Thanks.
    a track hub uses a reverse-threaded lockring which, when properly installed, prevents backpressure on the pedals/cranks from unscrewing the cog. you can use a hub without a reverse-threaded lockring, but you should be careful how much backpressure you apply - if you apply any. you can rely on a brake to stop and be perfectly confident.

    you'll need to buy a track cog. they come in 1/8" and 3/32" widths. if you get a 1/8" wide cog, you will need a 1/8" wide chain.

    if you go the "suicide hub" route, you will need to find a bottom bracket lockring. this will screw on to the threads of the hub, after you've screwed the track cog on tight. it's a bit of added security. red locktite on the threads will add some additional security.
    the hipster myth.

    i practice vagabondery.

  12. #12
    Custom User Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    48
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    conversion kits and all that are always trouble to the newbie rider.
    i know you don't want to hear this.. but you could probably just buy a 27"fixed wheel with a cog and lockring on it if you check all your lbs for only like 70.
    i found one a year ago.. and i know my lbs said they could just order them if there not in stock.
    saves you a lot of work, plus it's much lighter and safer that an old converted wheel/hub.

  13. #13
    %#&*#%>?% Build your own's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Mass
    My Bikes
    Pake,Shogun,Nishiki,Motobecane
    Posts
    845
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hazylines View Post
    Surly Fixxer. it removes your freewheel and adds a space for a fixed cog. Its also removable if you'd like to take it off.
    I'd say with it's pricetag the fixxer is only usefull to convert something highend like a discwheel or something.You can get a formula laced up to your rim for that price.

  14. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Ohio
    My Bikes
    Shogun Road Bike
    Posts
    19
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So you suggest I get something like this http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Fixed-gear-r...QQcmdZViewItem

    and then get a lockring and cog. I understand what the 27 means, but what does the 27x1 1/4 mean in the description?

    Thanks for all the help so far.

  15. #15
    %#&*#%>?% Build your own's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Mass
    My Bikes
    Pake,Shogun,Nishiki,Motobecane
    Posts
    845
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats the kind of wheel you want to look for.The 1 1/4 is the width.27" is ok and would be a good match with your old frontwheel(also 27" i assume)but be aware that it can be somewhat difficult to find high end tires in 27".700C would be better.Cosmetics aside(700c is 8 mm smaller than 27") it's no problem to run 700c in the rear and keep the 27" in the front.

  16. #16
    cab horn
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    1987 Bianchi Campione
    Posts
    28,295
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbadwimp View Post
    Suicide hubs are fine as long as you run a brake.
    No they're not. Please spend the $ and buy a proper real wheel.
    Mes compaingnons cui j'amoie et cui j'aim,... Me di, chanson.

  17. #17
    cab horn
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    1987 Bianchi Campione
    Posts
    28,295
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Build your own View Post
    Thats the kind of wheel you want to look for.The 1 1/4 is the width.27" is ok and would be a good match with your old frontwheel(also 27" i assume)but be aware that it can be somewhat difficult to find high end tires in 27".700C would be better.Cosmetics aside(700c is 8 mm smaller than 27") it's no problem to run 700c in the rear and keep the 27" in the front.
    4mm at the rim, which is most important for brake reach when doing 27" -> 700c
    Mes compaingnons cui j'amoie et cui j'aim,... Me di, chanson.

  18. #18
    Tarck Bike Dot Com bigbadwimp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Beaver Falls, PA
    Posts
    252
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by operator View Post
    No they're not. Please spend the $ and buy a proper real wheel.
    If he runs a brake there's nothing to worry about. If the cog slips it'll just spin off and he'll still be able to brake/stop safely. If he didn't run a brake then he'd have some problems.

  19. #19
    cab horn
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    1987 Bianchi Campione
    Posts
    28,295
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbadwimp View Post
    If he runs a brake there's nothing to worry about. If the cog slips it'll just spin off and he'll still be able to brake/stop safely. If he didn't run a brake then he'd have some problems.
    I still can't bring myself to recommend suicide hub to a complete beginner.
    Mes compaingnons cui j'amoie et cui j'aim,... Me di, chanson.

  20. #20
    Hello. crushkilldstroy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    West Seattle
    Posts
    2,902
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickle View Post
    Is this 10 speed a Ross model, blue in color and in “fairly” good shape? If so, there's some people who want to speak to you...
    OK I'm curious. What is this about?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacquie Phelan
    Until mountain biking came along, the bike scene was ruled by a small elite cadre of people who seemed allergic to enthusiasm.

  21. #21
    Fear the banana YellowFixedGear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    New York City (Uptown)
    My Bikes
    1950s EG Bates track & 1960s Frejus track
    Posts
    719
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickle View Post
    Is this 10 speed a Ross model, blue in color and in “fairly” good shape? If so, there's some people who want to speak to you...

    Am I the only one who pays attn. to the news to get this?

  22. #22
    aka mattio queerpunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    5,416
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by crushkilldstroy View Post
    OK I'm curious. What is this about?
    a bike found by the NYPD, possibly used by the person who dropped the firework at the recruiting center in Times Square.
    the hipster myth.

    i practice vagabondery.

  23. #23
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Ohio
    My Bikes
    Shogun Road Bike
    Posts
    19
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I decided to not go the suicide route. I've found a wheelset with a flip flop hub that comes with a 16 tooth cog and a lockring. Do I have to purchase a new cog for the crank? I understand having a mixing old gears with new chains will increase wear. If so, is there any size recommended to go with a 16t rear that will be suitable in a mostly flat town? Thanks for the help so far.

  24. #24
    stay free. frankstoneline's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Ellensburg, WA
    My Bikes
    EAI Bare Knuckle, 1980's Ross Signature 292s 12 speed
    Posts
    1,557
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you want a new chainring, look into a 42 or 44 with your 16 to start on. But no, you could use your existing chainring if you wanted, probably the inside of the two will give you a decent chainline.
    xoxo David
    Quote Originally Posted by metaljim View Post
    katana's out frank! always be ready.
    <edited>

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •