Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 34

Thread: Wheel Suckers

  1. #1
    This town needs an enema.
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Huntington Beach, Ca.
    My Bikes
    Bridgestone 400
    Posts
    795
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Wheel Suckers

    I am still getting used commuting on a fixed gear and having to face a headwind for all but the last of my 11 mile ride home has presented some new challenges.

    Over the past couple of days I have been accepting the headwind challenge and I look back I notice roadies practically sniffing my ass they are riding so close behind me. I imagine they just want some relief from the wind for a little while which is cool with me, but as of yet I haven't heard a single "thank you" or "Hey, do you want to draft for a while?" or anything...if I am lucky I get a "on your left" after they have followed me for a couple miles, got their breath back, and then proceeded to drop me.

    Any words of wisdom on this?
    ^this may or may not be useful information <--this not so much.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Portland, OR
    My Bikes
    07 Fisher Paragon, 00' Lemond Buenos Aries, Specialized Langster, Schwinn World Sport SS townie, 99 SS-Works single speed conversion, early 90s Raleigh roadie rain bike, 07 Fisher Rig, Trek 520, and a home-modified chopper
    Posts
    707
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fart more.

  3. #3
    Look at all these buttons EivlEvo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    992
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you serious?!?!?! As a roaide... any roadie that is drafting off of you for that long and then passes and says NOTHING should get a stick in the spokes.

    If it happens again and they're drafting and you look back and they continue to draft and you look back again and they still continue... just move off to the side. If the guy still pulls ur wheel slow down. Once he passes you pick his wheel and when he does the shake and break stick with him.

    Thats 100% rude. Please note... this isn't ur average roadie (wait yes it is... I hate roadies) These are the guys that go and post about how they pass people like theyre standing still on the road.

    Anyone drafting someone they don't know on the road is as fred as they get. Kill them.

  4. #4
    Sir Fallalot wroomwroomoops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland
    Posts
    5,179
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EivlEvo View Post
    Are you serious?!?!?! As a roaide... any roadie that is drafting off of you for that long and then passes and says NOTHING should get a stick in the spokes.

    If it happens again and they're drafting and you look back and they continue to draft and you look back again and they still continue... just move off to the side. If the guy still pulls ur wheel slow down. Once he passes you pick his wheel and when he does the shake and break stick with him.

    Thats 100% rude. Please note... this isn't ur average roadie (wait yes it is... I hate roadies) These are the guys that go and post about how they pass people like theyre standing still on the road.

    Anyone drafting someone they don't know on the road is as fred as they get. Kill them.
    I don't think a Fred would draft anyone - a Fred pretty much minds his own business and is oblivious to the aerodynamics of drafting.

  5. #5
    Banned zelah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Portland
    My Bikes
    Mercier Kilo TT
    Posts
    2,536
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i was riding to work today and there was a little pack ahead of me, the last two somehow bonked into each other, i blame wheel sucking

  6. #6
    Look at all these buttons EivlEvo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    992
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Correct about freds not knowing about drafting... Im saying these are the racing freds.

  7. #7
    Senior Member m4bandit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    312
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EivlEvo View Post
    Are you serious?!?!?! As a roaide... any roadie that is drafting off of you for that long and then passes and says NOTHING should get a stick in the spokes.

    If it happens again and they're drafting and you look back and they continue to draft and you look back again and they still continue... just move off to the side. If the guy still pulls ur wheel slow down. Once he passes you pick his wheel and when he does the shake and break stick with him.

    Thats 100% rude. Please note... this isn't ur average roadie (wait yes it is... I hate roadies) These are the guys that go and post about how they pass people like theyre standing still on the road.

    Anyone drafting someone they don't know on the road is as fred as they get. Kill them.
    FAIL.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Van BC
    Posts
    3,745
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check it out, the other guy started a thread too.

    Road Etiquette

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    413
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cradduck View Post
    I am still getting used commuting on a fixed gear and having to face a headwind for all but the last of my 11 mile ride home has presented some new challenges.

    Over the past couple of days I have been accepting the headwind challenge and I look back I notice roadies practically sniffing my ass they are riding so close behind me. I imagine they just want some relief from the wind for a little while which is cool with me, but as of yet I haven't heard a single "thank you" or "Hey, do you want to draft for a while?" or anything...if I am lucky I get a "on your left" after they have followed me for a couple miles, got their breath back, and then proceeded to drop me.

    Any words of wisdom on this?
    That is, as the kids say these days, wack. Drafting can be dangerous if one person doesn't know it's happening, so this tool is putting both of you at risk. I would guess he's either inexperienced and doesn't know about proper etiquette, or he's just an experienced *******.

    Next time you see one of these guys riding your ass, move to the side and fall back. Try to fall into place drafting him. If you can develop a mutually beneficial relationship here, then you can both save energy and you can probably travel faster than you would have otherwise.

    I have this problem at Crissy Field in San Francisco all the time.

  10. #10
    Senior Member MrCjolsen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Davis CA
    My Bikes
    Surly Cross-Check, '85 Giant road bike (unrecogizable fixed-gear conversion
    Posts
    3,954
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd be leery about drafting behind a fixed gear, especially if I didn't know the skill level of the rider. When I was starting out, I'd occasionally forget which bike I was on, and stand up and try to coast, causing a very abrupt reduction in speed.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    four 1 OHHH , Maryland
    My Bikes
    nagasawa, fuji track pro
    Posts
    2,596
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    u should turn around and ***** slap him

  12. #12
    kinda useless.
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    East Lansing, MI
    My Bikes
    Tommaso Augusta, Raleigh Sirocco, Raleigh Sovereign, Specialized Hard Rock
    Posts
    211
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Poop while riding. The cycling equivalent of James Bond oil slicks.

  13. #13
    Senior Member barba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    4,083
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't draft someone I didn't trust or know that they were not a squirrel. The danger is to the drafting rider, if it makes you feel any better. If you touch wheels, it is the guy in the rear that is going down.

  14. #14
    Luchador
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Dirty
    Posts
    168
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mander View Post
    Check it out, the other guy started a thread too.

    Road Etiquette
    thats funny

  15. #15
    Look at all these buttons EivlEvo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    992
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by m4bandit View Post
    FAIL.
    Meh... from MTB racing to Road racing to just rec riding... I feel that on that list... roadies are the genre that will most often supply the jerks.

  16. #16
    Look at all these buttons EivlEvo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    992
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This also appears to be reaffirmed by the thread that they've all started talking about how its fine and those guys were dicks.

  17. #17
    Sir Fallalot wroomwroomoops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland
    Posts
    5,179
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're all brothers and sisters.

  18. #18
    DNPAIMFB pinkrobe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Cowtown, AB
    My Bikes
    Titus El Guapo, Misfit diSSent, Cervelo Soloist Carbon, Wabi Lightning, et al.
    Posts
    4,654
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pull a Crazy Ivan - do a random swerve, then count to 7 and do another one. If somebody's on your tail after that, they probably want to date you.
    Proud Member of the HHCMF
    '06 Cervelo Soloist Carbon | '09 Titus El Guapo | '09 Misfit diSSent | '09 Wabi Lightning

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Rohnert Park, CA
    My Bikes
    Pake track, Soma DoubleCross, LeMond Etape, Maruishi RoadAce 303
    Posts
    1,248
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ****ing love how people beotch so much about road bikers. Seriously shut the **** up.

  20. #20
    oOooo, five bucks ~Stuart~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Toronto, On
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR touring(06), Norco Storm (05)
    Posts
    846
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    drafting is lame you dont make your self known.


    i have been drafted before (by random people) i got creeped out and dropped them, later i realized what they were doing.
    How does a Thermos know when to stay warm, and when to stay cold?

    Quote Originally Posted by *WildHare* View Post
    If you can't straddle her proper, she ain't worth mounting :)

  21. #21
    Look at all these buttons EivlEvo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    992
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by darksiderising View Post
    I ****ing love how people beotch so much about road bikers. Seriously shut the **** up.
    Maybe road bikers shouldn't be such ******?

    Im a road biker way more than anything else. Im involved... I do tons of races... I train all winter. Im that guy. When push comes to shove... most of the roadies I know are just all full of themselves.

    Anyways... this is a pointless argument wroom is right... were all friends. I shouldn't be hating... I should be making attempts at changing it?

  22. #22
    slow as I ever was Ex Pres's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    an imposter living in the 35223
    Posts
    5,788
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To drop a drafter just pick up your speed. (Intervals) If they keep up and then pass you you're the Fred. Get faster.
    72 special CNC ______ 72 Frejus (ala Legnano) _73 Holdsworth Record
    80 Ranson__________ 80 unknown French____ 83 Trek 600 (620 styled)
    85 Gianni Motta_____ 90 Miele Gara ________ 02 Casati Dardo #1
    02 Casati Dardo #2 __ 03 Casati Dardo ______ 08 BF IRO (fixed/SS)
    09 Dogma FPX magn_ 10 Vassago Fisticuff (IGH)

    For Sale: _________ 78 Raleigh Professional __ 82 Peugeot PXN10
    85 Trek 560_______ 88 Guerciotti GLX

  23. #23
    Senior Member akaio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    NYC!
    My Bikes
    Jamis Sputnik (2007) & Bridgestone RB-2 (1994).
    Posts
    382
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive never drafted someone I didnt know, but if I was going to be behind them for any more than needed (such as staying behind till its clear to pass) then I would probably ask if I could catch a draft. If someone drafted me I would get a little creeped out, give then 10 min then tell them to pull.

  24. #24
    Look at all these buttons EivlEvo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    992
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by akaio View Post
    Ive never drafted someone I didnt know, but if I was going to be behind them for any more than needed (such as staying behind till its clear to pass) then I would probably ask if I could catch a draft. If someone drafted me I would get a little creeped out, give then 10 min then tell them to pull.
    THANK you

    +5

  25. #25
    cab horn
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    1987 Bianchi Campione
    Posts
    28,295
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If someone is drafting you, it means you aren't riding fast enough.
    Mes compaingnons cui j'amoie et cui j'aim,... Me di, chanson.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •