Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 34
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,141
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Why the Kilo TT obsession instead of the Motobecane Messenger?

    Maybe this will instantly make me a pansy or something, but I sort of appreciate brakes!
    The Kilo looks better, but I'd wind up adding at least a FB.
    Both are 4130. The wheels on the Kilo look a bit better though. That might make it worth it.
    Any reasons?

  2. #2
    Run What 'Ya Brung bonechilling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    5,696
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Flat crown fork.
    Quote Originally Posted by doofo View Post
    the main cause of fit problems is riding your bike

    you should have just stopped riding so you could focus on color coordination

  3. #3
    Senior Member GTPowers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    192
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tekhna View Post
    Maybe this will instantly make me a pansy or something, but I sort of appreciate brakes!
    The Kilo looks better, but I'd wind up adding at least a FB.
    Both are 4130. The wheels on the Kilo look a bit better though. That might make it worth it.
    Any reasons?
    Im on your turf....my Motobecane will be here wendseday.

    IMO...its a great start fixed bicycle for the budget/safety focused for those of us new to the fixed riding.

  4. #4
    71 Peugeot. fixed.
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Twin Cities
    Posts
    1,159
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    track geometry and a nicer fork.
    High off the weed drunk off the cops blood

  5. #5
    Blue Light Special kmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Bay Area, Sunny Cali
    My Bikes
    '05 Felt F55, Schwinn Prologue road bike, '86 Centurion DS Iron Man, Sette Flite AM MTB
    Posts
    1,469
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Messenger is track enough for the average joe, and comes in colors other than black and green (although that will change soon...).

    Then again, the Kilo TT Pro has them both beat.

    p.s. to bikesdirect_com: falling dollar be damned, ship em already!
    Quote Originally Posted by KrisPistofferson View Post
    racer x flies across cobblestones with a grimace of determination, three feet of seatpost, bars level with ankles, carbon fiber frame with Kryptonite lugs and a millimeter clearance between the fork and the 700x21c tires. This gives everyone a *****

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,141
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by willypilgrim View Post
    track geometry and a nicer fork.
    But what good is Track geo if you're using the Kilo for something like a commuter?

  7. #7
    70mm4$!n! freeskihp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    DC
    My Bikes
    Sworks E5, ritte Bosberg
    Posts
    1,757
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    get a tomasini, they are such a bargain.


    OK, I am finally done, I have to do work and must leave this BF cluster****
    "The only reasons anyone should ever ride in the rain is because a) you’ve had your license to operate a motor vehicle suspended by the state. b) you’re in a bike race in which case you’re not allowed to use fenders anyway. c) you’re from Portland- in which case my main problem is with your neck beard- not your bicycle...If you need to train when it’s pissing rain- buy a trainer or one of those cheap charter flights to Mallorca."

  8. #8
    Look at all these buttons EivlEvo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    992
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [B
    tekhna[/B]] But what good is Track geo if you're using the Kilo for something like a commuter?
    Dude... obv so you can run aerospokes and a disc and tell all the chicks that ur a trackstar!

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,141
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EivlEvo View Post
    Dude... obv so you can run aerospokes and a disc and tell all the chicks that ur a trackstar!
    Man, I need to find new chicks to try to impress if the ones you are hanging out with can spot track geometry at a glance!

  10. #10
    71 Peugeot. fixed.
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Twin Cities
    Posts
    1,159
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tekhna View Post
    But what good is Track geo if you're using the Kilo for something like a commuter?
    Who cares? You wanted the reason why people on a bike forum prefer one type more than the other. Based off the prevailing affinity for all things track or tarck, is it that much of a stretch to assume that a good reason for the popularity of a given bike is that it's similar sibling from the same parent company is less 'track'?

    And as far as what good is track geo for a commuter?

    I like riding my track bike significantly more than I liked riding the sluggish road geo conversion I had prior to it. Or is personal preference somehow not acceptable, and everyone must prescribe to your notion of what a good commuting bike is?
    High off the weed drunk off the cops blood

  11. #11
    womens feet rule
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    new jersey
    Posts
    139
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if riding with an arrospok gets me women, **** it, i'll just get my wee wee S***'d constantly.

    no ones loss.

  12. #12
    cab horn
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    1987 Bianchi Campione
    Posts
    28,298
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by willypilgrim View Post
    Who cares? You wanted the reason why people on a bike forum prefer one type more than the other. Based off the prevailing affinity for all things track or tarck, is it that much of a stretch to assume that a good reason for the popularity of a given bike is that it's similar sibling from the same parent company is less 'track'?

    And as far as what good is track geo for a commuter?

    I like riding my track bike significantly more than I liked riding the sluggish road geo conversion I had prior to it. Or is personal preference somehow not acceptable, and everyone must prescribe to your notion of what a good commuting bike is?
    Yeah eveyrone knows tomasini is the best
    Mes compaingnons cui j'amoie et cui j'aim,... Me di, chanson.

  13. #13
    70mm4$!n! freeskihp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    DC
    My Bikes
    Sworks E5, ritte Bosberg
    Posts
    1,757
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by operator View Post
    Yeah eveyrone knows tomasini is the best
    I <3 U
    "The only reasons anyone should ever ride in the rain is because a) you’ve had your license to operate a motor vehicle suspended by the state. b) you’re in a bike race in which case you’re not allowed to use fenders anyway. c) you’re from Portland- in which case my main problem is with your neck beard- not your bicycle...If you need to train when it’s pissing rain- buy a trainer or one of those cheap charter flights to Mallorca."

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,141
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by willypilgrim View Post
    I like riding my track bike significantly more than I liked riding the sluggish road geo conversion I had prior to it. Or is personal preference somehow not acceptable, and everyone must prescribe to your notion of what a good commuting bike is?
    Yeah, because that's what I was saying. I was expecting everyone is this forum to subscribe to my normative construction of the best use, and type of a bicycle.

  15. #15
    jack of one or two trades Aeroplane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Suburbia, CT
    My Bikes
    Old-ass gearie hardtail MTB, fix-converted Centurion LeMans commuter, SS hardtail monster MTB
    Posts
    5,635
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by willypilgrim View Post
    nicer fork.
    It's all about the non-unicrown.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Irwin Goldstein
    Men should never ride bicycles. Riding should be banned and outlawed. It is
    the most irrational form of exercise I could ever bring to discussion.

  16. #16
    Tell them I hate them Peedtm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Boise, ID
    My Bikes
    Specialized Allez Epic '91, IRO Mark V Pro, Schwinn Traveler
    Posts
    939
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tekhna View Post
    Yeah, because that's what I was saying. I was expecting everyone is this forum to subscribe to my normative construction of the best use, and type of a bicycle.
    We thought what you were saying was that you wanted an opinion.
    If you want to know about Tarck Bikes, PM me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Van BC
    Posts
    3,739
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Internet

  18. #18
    Yabba-Dabba-Doo! AlmostTrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Bedrock, IL
    My Bikes
    1969 Schwinn Orange Krate, 5 speed stick shift
    Posts
    3,050
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By "nicer fork" is that just as far as looks? Is there a performance advantage to it? If the Moto is less track geometry, does that mean it will have less toe overlap? Thanks.
    Have Bike, Will Travel

  19. #19
    jack of one or two trades Aeroplane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Suburbia, CT
    My Bikes
    Old-ass gearie hardtail MTB, fix-converted Centurion LeMans commuter, SS hardtail monster MTB
    Posts
    5,635
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlmostTrick View Post
    By "nicer fork" is that just as far as looks? Is there a performance advantage to it? If the Moto is less track geometry, does that mean it will have less toe overlap? Thanks.
    Definitely as far as looks. They are both steel, so any performance advantage would be minimal at best. "Less track geometry" sounds like garbage to me... if you take the frame specs you can probably figure out the distance from BB to the front hub (with a few assumptions). Whichever is longer will probably have less toe overlap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Irwin Goldstein
    Men should never ride bicycles. Riding should be banned and outlawed. It is
    the most irrational form of exercise I could ever bring to discussion.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,141
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeroplane View Post
    It's all about the non-unicrown.
    What exactly does that mean in performance terms?

  21. #21
    %#&*#%>?% Build your own's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Mass
    My Bikes
    Pake,Shogun,Nishiki,Motobecane
    Posts
    845
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tekhna View Post
    What exactly does that mean in performance terms?
    Nothing,just aesthetics

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    1,452
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dumb question: What's the difference between track geometry vs. normal road bike geometry? And what's the reason why you can run aerospokes on one bike and not the other?

  23. #23
    Head Chief
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    kettering ohio
    My Bikes
    Motobecane Messenger
    Posts
    332
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cadd View Post
    Dumb question: What's the difference between track geometry vs. normal road bike geometry? And what's the reason why you can run aerospokes on one bike and not the other?
    Way to search up Cadd. That's what we like to see, and I can answer this one for you. Track geometry is generally tighter, and the seat tube and head tube are generally steeper. The Messenger is more track than a road bike though
    “There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    1,452
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you help me define "tighter"? Meaning, shorter TT?

    And when you say the seat/head tube angles are steeper, do you mean, a larger number?

    If I understand correctly, a lower number head tube angle, will bring the front wheel further away from the frame?

    A lower number seat tube angle will push the seat further back a little?

  25. #25
    Tarck bike dot com
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Portland, OR.
    My Bikes
    Fuji tarck '08
    Posts
    585
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kilo TT is tarck as fawk!
    Quote Originally Posted by thequickfix View Post
    Mah Arrospok Skids Hella Stupid Fresh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •