Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Hip-star jhaber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    630
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Where to find a good price on Mavic Open Pros/Formula Wheelset?

    I live in Canada outside of Toronto (Guelph) if that makes any difference.

    Where would be a good place to find this wheel set?

    I asked at a lbs but it sounded like it would come out to just under $200 per wheel which is crazy.
    $90-100 per rim. $32 min for their cheapest spoke. Couldn't quote me a price on a formula at the time. Is this price realistic or can I find this cheaper?

    Thanks for the help.

  2. #2
    aka mattio queerpunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    5,462
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it's cheaper on the internet, but sometimes the extra few bucks are worth it to start a relationship with your LBS.
    the hipster myth.

    i practice vagabondery.

  3. #3
    Lurker for Life yonderboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    908
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Especially if they offer a free truing after 30-days.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    706
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Call up BicycleWheels. I think I was quoted around $250 for a wheelset

  5. #5
    cab horn
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    1987 Bianchi Campione
    Posts
    28,295
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jhaber View Post
    I live in Canada outside of Toronto (Guelph) if that makes any difference.

    Where would be a good place to find this wheel set?

    I asked at a lbs but it sounded like it would come out to just under $200 per wheel which is crazy.
    $90-100 per rim. $32 min for their cheapest spoke. Couldn't quote me a price on a formula at the time. Is this price realistic or can I find this cheaper?

    Thanks for the help.
    The price difference is what from online vs local?
    Mes compaingnons cui j'amoie et cui j'aim,... Me di, chanson.

  6. #6
    Raving looney
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    My Bikes
    70s Leader Precision w/Shimano 600 (road), IRO Rob Roy (Fixed)
    Posts
    2,486
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For sure bicyclewheels.com - might need a truing after shipping, but they're fairly cheap - I got a CXP22/Formula set from them over the Xmas holiday and am loving it.

  7. #7
    Hip-star jhaber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    630
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Flimflam View Post
    For sure bicyclewheels.com - might need a truing after shipping, but they're fairly cheap - I got a CXP22/Formula set from them over the Xmas holiday and am loving it.
    Shipped to TO? how much was shipping? duty? thx

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    pittsburghadelphia
    My Bikes
    types that go fast
    Posts
    288
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    open pro

    that doesnt sound too ridiculous($400 a set) , but i was going to have them made for me for 360 a set at a place called abington wheel wright. i dont know if they do orders or anything, but look em up on google, theyre outside philly and are really great.

  9. #9
    jerk store mathletics's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Boston
    My Bikes
    '80s Chimo Garbage fixed 36/14, Centurion fixed 42/17
    Posts
    605
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by queerpunk View Post
    it's cheaper on the internet, but sometimes the extra few bucks are worth it to start a relationship with your LBS.
    +1. Having a local mechanic hand build your wheels is an excellent way to bond with your shop. If the shop is any good, the aftercare that you'll get will be well worth the price difference.
    A cop pulled me over for riding 2 abreast at 2:30am on a 4 lane road and informed me that bicycles are not classified as a vehicle in Massachusetts. As a result, I'm pretty bummed about having moved to Boston.

  10. #10
    Inazuma mike_bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    melbourne, AUS
    Posts
    24
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just keep away from Bells Bikes on ebay in Philly, unless you wanna get your wheels when your 70 years old.

    Man I'm angry after being lead to believe my wheels would take 1-3 days.
    3 weeks, 6+ emails and 2 unanswered phone calls later...no wheels still.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •