Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    alk
    alk is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    117
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    forward-facing dropouts, rack & fender mounts

    any frames besides these three that i am missing? aside from all the 80s frames that also fit the bill.

    cross check
    salsa casseroll
    masi speciale commuter

    i want to make a commuter. maybe with an internally geared hub.

    i like the speciale commuter, though according to masi there aren't plans to sell it as a frameset. don't know if it would be worth $700 if i end up switching out the wheels, crank, seat, and post. if i can get a good deal on the salsa i could see myself going with that, relatively light frame, and i think i'd be fine without cantis.

  2. #2
    B.C. to D.C.
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    between the Popeye's, the liquor store, the funeral home, and the strip club
    My Bikes
    1992 Miyata Nine 14; 1971 Raleigh Super Course fixie conversion; 2006 Jamis Nova (853 version); 2001 Diamondback Topanga (SS conversion); 1956 Rudge Sports; 1971 Raleigh Competition (processing); 199? Schwinn World Sport (processing)
    Posts
    576
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    bianchi volpe

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    706
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Masi is boombbbb

  4. #4
    Run What 'Ya Brung bonechilling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    5,696
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about any of the tons of old road bikes that were hand-made by skilled or master builders with better tubing, and are cheaper to boot? You can get an old 531 Trek with all your specs for ~$100.
    Quote Originally Posted by doofo View Post
    the main cause of fit problems is riding your bike

    you should have just stopped riding so you could focus on color coordination

  5. #5
    alk
    alk is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    117
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bonechilling View Post
    How about any of the tons of old road bikes that were hand-made by skilled or master builders with better tubing, and are cheaper to boot? You can get an old 531 Trek with all your specs for ~$100.
    yeah i know, see the second sentence of the original post. $100 might be optimistic for a nice 620 or 720 from the 1980s, they're kind of collectible. the miyata 1000s are always pretty sought after too.

    apparently last year's casseroll framesets went for under $300 on jensonusa toward the end of the season. at that price i'm not sure if even the nicer 531 or other classic frames could compete.

    i'd like to know how 531/columbus sl/ishiwata 022/tange #1 actually compare to today's steels.

  6. #6
    Run What 'Ya Brung bonechilling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    5,696
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I apologize, I did skip that second sentence, but I promise, I read everything else.

    Two complete Trek 620s with 531 tubing sold for $240 and $400 respectively. That's for a while bike, not a frame, mind you.

    You're right that 531 for $100 is a little optimistic, but it's not too far off. They seem to hover between the $100-$200 mark, at least for the ones I've watched. A 52cm 501 frame with a few nicks and scratches, but all your requirements, sold for $62 last week.
    Quote Originally Posted by doofo View Post
    the main cause of fit problems is riding your bike

    you should have just stopped riding so you could focus on color coordination

  7. #7
    Senior Member doomkin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    illinois
    My Bikes
    surly steamroller - towniefied.
    Posts
    550
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'm working on a similar project but i've more or less conceded to using the cross-check. colors are great, frame options are on the dot, price is decent.

    unless you've got a lot more to spend, the only other option i can think of is the surly traveler's check but be prepared to spend close to $1000 for a crosscheck+s&scouplers.

    what are you thinking about for brakes? cantis, caliper, drum, coaster, disc, v?

  8. #8
    alk
    alk is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    117
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by doomkin View Post
    i'm working on a similar project but i've more or less conceded to using the cross-check. colors are great, frame options are on the dot, price is decent.

    unless you've got a lot more to spend, the only other option i can think of is the surly traveler's check but be prepared to spend close to $1000 for a crosscheck+s&scouplers.

    what are you thinking about for brakes? cantis, caliper, drum, coaster, disc, v?
    calipers or cantis if the frame takes them. maybe a coaster in the rear.

    bonechilling's right about there being comparable frames from the 1980s, though i like threadless and frames built for 700c wheels (in this case the wheel size issue is probably irrelevant though).

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Van BC
    Posts
    3,744
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This isn't exactly what you asked for, but here are two bikes that have EBBs and are therefore ss-able:

    Steelwool Tweed



    Singular Peregrine



    The Peregrine looks completely *****in.
    Last edited by mander; 03-26-08 at 04:01 PM.

  10. #10
    Senior Member doomkin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    illinois
    My Bikes
    surly steamroller - towniefied.
    Posts
    550
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mander View Post
    This isn't exactly what you asked for, but here are two bikes that have EBBs and are therefore ss-able:

    Steelwool Tweed



    Singular Peregrine



    The Peregrine looks completely *****in.
    i really like steelwool cycles. that said, the tweed's color is the only reason i can't purchase it.

  11. #11
    Senior Member doomkin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    illinois
    My Bikes
    surly steamroller - towniefied.
    Posts
    550
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alk View Post
    calipers or cantis if the frame takes them. maybe a coaster in the rear.

    bonechilling's right about there being comparable frames from the 1980s, though i like threadless and frames built for 700c wheels (in this case the wheel size issue is probably irrelevant though).
    frame cost aside, i'd prefer to go threadless. worlds easier.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •