I love riding my fixed gear conversion. But after riding my friends NEW bike today ("Windsor- The Hour"), I am wanting to get a brand new track bike with nice hubs designed for the fixed gear enthusiast that rides around the city.
My reasons for wanting to upgrade from my old conversion to a newer track/road bike are:
1) The chromoly steel is much lighter than my raleigh which is from the late 70's to early 80's
2) tighter frame geometry
3) the front hub spins for minutes longer than the one on my conversion
With that said, my questions are:
1) what are the benefits and or drawbacks to switching from a homemade conversion to a new track/road frame with nice hubs?
2) which modern track frames do you like? I've looked at the Surly Steamroller and the Pake Track bike.
3) are there any other huge factors that could benefit my performance other than a lighter frame and really nice hubs? My friends Windsor bike was much easier to drive than my conversion, I assumed this was mostly because of the lighter frame weight, and awesome hubs.
Thanx in advance!!!