Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-20-08, 05:13 PM   #1
evanm
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sorry to beat a dead horse but,

To begin, yes I've used the search function . . .

That said, here is my dilemma:

2008 Bianchi Pista 57cm $649 + tax at LBS -- I love the fit and feel of this bike but I question the quality due to everything I've read using the search function! The price for what it is -->sucks.

IRO Angus $649 + shipping -- better bike on paper but I can't test ride. Similar geometry but not the same as Pista. If the Pista is considered "twitchy" and I like that, how would the two compare to anyone who has experienced both? Size -- I assume the 59cm would be the closest in size as I've read they run a little small ( I know call Tony...)

My previous bike was an 07 Raleigh Rush Hour 57cm a good ride (hated the forks) stolen.

So, do I buy an overpriced Pista that fits like a glove and change parts when my budget permits or gamble on the Angus (nothing but good reviews) with better frame and parts out of the box.

I'm in a smaller town so I've test rode very little beside what I've mentioned. My primary use will be commuting/bombing around town but I would like to try the track when I visit friends in Portland!

My previous experience is all mountain biking, riding fixed gear got me excited about bikes again.

Thanks for your time, any and all opinions appreciated.

evanm
evanm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-08, 05:15 PM   #2
conor
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 685
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
get the pista. your comfort is the most important thing.
conor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-08, 05:18 PM   #3
peugotpigeon
mauve avenger
 
peugotpigeon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: San Rafael, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 181
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by conor View Post
get the pista. your comfort is the most important thing.
+1000000
comfort is the all important factor
your body will thank you
peugotpigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-08, 05:24 PM   #4
frankstoneline
stay free.
 
frankstoneline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ellensburg, WA
Bikes: EAI Bare Knuckle, 1980's Ross Signature 292s 12 speed
Posts: 1,557
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What makes you say the angus has better parts off the bat?
Tax is probably what? 8%? shipping on a bike is probably 80 dollars. The prices are probably close. I would say fit is the way to judge it.
frankstoneline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-08, 05:58 PM   #5
evanm
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
WOW, that was fast.

I agree with fit coming first. I think I've been reading too much (into this) and in general . . . thanks for the reminder.
evanm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-08, 06:04 PM   #6
cheeva
mauve avenger
 
cheeva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: San Rafael, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 101
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
enjoi ur new bike!
cheeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-08, 06:24 PM   #7
666pack
tarck bike.com exile
 
666pack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: lancaster, pennsylvania
Bikes: bfssfg iro--black.
Posts: 2,058
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
get the iro so you don't look like a tool on a pista.
666pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-08, 06:26 PM   #8
conor
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 685
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
but before you do that, make sure you ignore the guy above me.
conor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-08, 06:48 PM   #9
tx_what_it_do
SWAAAAAAAAAAAT
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: alief houston texas
Bikes: masi speciale fixed (urrringe), haro f1 (black), haro x2 (red)
Posts: 336
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
get a masi speciale fixed. i really really really ****ing love it.

Last edited by tx_what_it_do; 04-20-08 at 08:06 PM.
tx_what_it_do is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-08, 06:52 PM   #10
GeraldChan
road curmudgeon, FG rider
 
GeraldChan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Gaithersburg, MD
Bikes: 1973 Nishiki Professional, 1990 Serotta Colorado II, 2002 Waterford Track
Posts: 677
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Get a bike that fits and feels right,
Don't worry about the "coolness" of the brand.
A fun bike will get ridden.
GeraldChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-08, 07:08 PM   #11
balonya
Senior Member
 
balonya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: funky town
Bikes:
Posts: 112
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
get the IRO, mine was $15 to ship to DC, talk to tony about the fit and what he would do if you get a bad fit
balonya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-08, 07:24 PM   #12
stevo9er
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 294
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just to double check you guys are saying go with the Pista for comfort because he has test road it and not because the Angus is inherently uncomfortable.
stevo9er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-08, 07:26 PM   #13
jdms mvp
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: four 1 OHHH , Maryland
Bikes: nagasawa, fuji track pro
Posts: 2,801
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
pista = twitchy? how was that conclusion derived?
jdms mvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-08, 07:26 PM   #14
conor
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 685
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo9er View Post
Just to double check you guys are saying go with the Pista for comfort because he has test road it and not because the Angus is inherently uncomfortable.
yes. i know plenty of people with angus/mark vs, and they all love 'em. but if you feel the pista fits your body, there's no reason why you shouldn't get it. that said, you should test ride some other bikes for comparison.
conor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-08, 07:30 PM   #15
okay
Banned.
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: tucson
Bikes:
Posts: 271
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
yeah, definitely test ride a bunch of bikes even if you're not going to buy them, but just to get a feel for things and a better idea of what kind of ride you want.
okay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-08, 07:34 PM   #16
Thetank
Senior Member
 
Thetank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 1,031
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
buy what fits and is easiest to deal with in case something goes wrong with the thing. Who cares what brand name is on the tubes, its how often you're on the saddle that matters.
Thetank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-08, 07:34 PM   #17
SuperVillain
superpredictable
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Madison, WI
Bikes:
Posts: 193
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The IRO sounds like far more bang for the buck.

The Mark V is the same geometry as the Angus, but cheaper, and it's the same frame material as the Pista.

A 59cm IRO will have a 56.5cm top tube, so it should fit you. A 57cm Pista has approx. the same geometry. I seriously doubt you (or I) would notice that much of a difference.

If necessary, you can always try different size/degree stems to get the perfect fit.
SuperVillain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-08, 07:36 PM   #18
cheeva
mauve avenger
 
cheeva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: San Rafael, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 101
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by peugotpigeon View Post
+1000000
comfort is the all important factor
your body will thank you
+1
cheeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-08, 07:37 PM   #19
Live2Die
?que?
 
Live2Die's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Portland Oregon
Bikes:
Posts: 783
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tx_what_it_do View Post
get a masi speciale fixed. i fucking love it.
I see what you did there quite a hassle just so you can get your expletive read. But props, I took the bait and had to see what you did to get around it.
Live2Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-08, 08:02 PM   #20
tx_what_it_do
SWAAAAAAAAAAAT
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: alief houston texas
Bikes: masi speciale fixed (urrringe), haro f1 (black), haro x2 (red)
Posts: 336
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
you just highlight it and press the big A right there.
and it was necessary to express my love for my bike.
i'm sure you understand.
tx_what_it_do is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-08, 08:04 PM   #21
666pack
tarck bike.com exile
 
666pack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: lancaster, pennsylvania
Bikes: bfssfg iro--black.
Posts: 2,058
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tx_what_it_do View Post
get a masi speciale fixed. i fucking love it.
watch out dude, a moderator might give you a "profile infraction" for that.
666pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-08, 08:05 PM   #22
tx_what_it_do
SWAAAAAAAAAAAT
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: alief houston texas
Bikes: masi speciale fixed (urrringe), haro f1 (black), haro x2 (red)
Posts: 336
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
oh. i see people spacing them out and thought they didnt care.

edits will ensue.
tx_what_it_do is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-08, 10:22 PM   #23
evanm
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks again for all the responses (love reading this forum).

I'm ok with being a tool. My wife likes that about me . . .

Masi sounds good, but like IRO no place to try it. (glad you like yours!)

Angus better parts? Quoted in a lot of IRO threads . . .

Pista "twitchy" quoted from another thread -- not how I feel.

IRO, Pista, (insert other entry level bike in this price range) you're right I'd probably not notice great differences and I consider the IRO because it consistently gets a lot of praise (build and service) whereas the Pista's seem to be either loved or hated -- reading lots of posts praising IRO is why I even consider buying a bike online without ever trying it.

Again, reading a lot of threads about Pista some, not all, raise issue with the quality (frame, hubs, headset) of the bike (don't care about the looks issue) but its those opinions that made me question the bike even though I like the ride.

Test rides -- gonna have to get into a bigger city for more variety, which is doable . . . the only other bike in my area to try is a Langster (not interested)

Again thanks for all the input. I'm going with the Pista for now (fit wins) -- I can always save up for something else later and right now I have no bike.

I'm curious if any here have ever bought a bike untested/tried? How did it work out for you?
evanm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-08, 10:39 PM   #24
tx_what_it_do
SWAAAAAAAAAAAT
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: alief houston texas
Bikes: masi speciale fixed (urrringe), haro f1 (black), haro x2 (red)
Posts: 336
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i bought my masi untested. i pro-formed it from work and they sent it to us in a box. it's probably the only reason i bought it was because i could get it for cheaper than a kilo tt. (doesn't mean it's not worth the tag price!)

i dont even know anything about geometry. track bikes have a 90 degree tt. that's all i know.

but after a week of riding my masi i love it to death. it's something i got used to, not something i bought because it would fit me. the only thing i chose was the size. anything that sucks i can switch out but so far, as my first bike, i cant say anything bad about it.

in a week i've learned how to ride brakeless (haven't found a proper lever for my flip chops at a shop yet) and do a few of those neat trick skids all the cool kids do. i'm very very comfortable with my bike and i've never sat on one before this.
tx_what_it_do is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-08, 10:43 PM   #25
tx_what_it_do
SWAAAAAAAAAAAT
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: alief houston texas
Bikes: masi speciale fixed (urrringe), haro f1 (black), haro x2 (red)
Posts: 336
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
here's a plan- get a kilo tt

you can get it for 350 and whatever you think sucks on it, switch it out. i'm sure you'll like it for your first fixie, i read alot of people have, but the 300 bucks you save can buy you cool stuff that'll fit you better.
tx_what_it_do is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:34 AM.