Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    is actually asian 4zn_balla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    My Bikes
    Leader
    Posts
    309
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    in search: 1 1/8" low rake fork

    i need a semi-cheap low rake fork (below 40mm) so i can do barspins (flame me). right now i have a 45mm and it hits the pedals. I know there's different ways to fix toe overlap, but i think a lower rake fork will be the best option. Link me please

  2. #2
    Cornucopia of Awesomeness baxtefer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    not where i used to be
    Posts
    4,847
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    surly steamroller fork. 38mm rake.

    and uh lower rake will increase toe overlap eh?
    {o,o**
    |)__)
    -"-"-

    O RLY?

  3. #3
    is actually asian 4zn_balla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    My Bikes
    Leader
    Posts
    309
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by baxtefer View Post
    surly steamroller fork. 38mm rake.

    and uh lower rake will increase toe overlap eh?
    well yeah it will increase overlap when it's forward, but decrease it when it's backward. So you're right it seems that it will worsen the problem, but it'll actually balance it out. and that dimension on the surly fork means the maximum tire it can take, not the rake.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    706
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 4zn_balla View Post
    well yeah it will increase overlap when it's forward, but decrease it when it's backward. So you're right it seems that it will worsen the problem, but it'll actually balance it out. and that dimension on the surly fork means the maximum tire it can take, not the rake.
    no, 38mm is the rake. stop being an idiot.

  5. #5
    is actually asian 4zn_balla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    My Bikes
    Leader
    Posts
    309
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    k stand corrected, but not an idiot

  6. #6
    Tarck bike dot com
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Portland, OR.
    My Bikes
    Fuji tarck '08
    Posts
    585
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    650c
    case closed
    Quote Originally Posted by thequickfix View Post
    Mah Arrospok Skids Hella Stupid Fresh

  7. #7
    Hello. crushkilldstroy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    West Seattle
    Posts
    2,902
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 4zn_balla View Post
    k stand corrected, but not an idiot
    No, you're definitely an idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacquie Phelan
    Until mountain biking came along, the bike scene was ruled by a small elite cadre of people who seemed allergic to enthusiasm.

  8. #8
    Double Agent Astronomical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    your girl's bed
    My Bikes
    Fly Pantera, GT GTB
    Posts
    1,187
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    bareknuckle or pista fork

  9. #9
    stay free. frankstoneline's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Ellensburg, WA
    My Bikes
    EAI Bare Knuckle, 1980's Ross Signature 292s 12 speed
    Posts
    1,557
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Astronomical View Post
    bareknuckle or pista fork
    bareknuckle is 38mm, probably wont make a big enough difference, pista would do the trick but is only 1", unless you are talking pista concept which is similar rake (I think) and 1 1/8" and a very different fork from a pista fork.
    a cheap 650 will probably fix your problem more so than a different fork. Also, barspins are as much about doing it with your feet in the right position so as to avoid pedal clip on the wheel as it comes around as they are just popping up and spinning.
    xoxo David
    Quote Originally Posted by metaljim View Post
    katana's out frank! always be ready.
    <edited>

  10. #10
    is actually asian 4zn_balla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    My Bikes
    Leader
    Posts
    309
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frankstoneline View Post
    bareknuckle is 38mm, probably wont make a big enough difference, pista would do the trick but is only 1", unless you are talking pista concept which is similar rake (I think) and 1 1/8" and a very different fork from a pista fork.
    a cheap 650 will probably fix your problem more so than a different fork. Also, barspins are as much about doing it with your feet in the right position so as to avoid pedal clip on the wheel as it comes around as they are just popping up and spinning.
    Thanks, you've been helpful. If i wasnt' a midge i could probably do barspins, but my wheel actually hits my pedal (not just my toe clip). This makes it impossible unless the pedals are nearly verticle or about 45 degrees either way. This sounds like a large margain of error, but it's really not. My frame is a 51cm

  11. #11
    Hotdog
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    88
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so i'm bumping this thread from the dead cause im also in search of a fork (for my fixed build, 1st one at that.) What the CHEAPEST 1 1/8" threadless fork I can get? cromoly or carbon, doesnt matter. rake is not really that much of an issue, but i'd prefer lower for tighter geometry.

    looks like ~50 is the cheapest i've found? should i just go carbon forte axis for 80 from performancebike?

    i've been looking for people selling their stock forks. but to no avail.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •