Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    huntington beach california
    Posts
    335
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    where can i get parts to make a wheel?

    just as the the title says. where is the cheapest place for me to get parts such as spokes and nipples? also what kind of spokes should i get if i want to build a velocity deep v elvs? last question. bladed or not?

  2. #2
    Don't smoke Mike nerdsgirth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    monster island fixie, Fisher sugar, sexine conversion, OLMO Superlight
    Posts
    641
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First of all, where are you?
    Last edited by nerdsgirth; 07-07-08 at 12:12 PM. Reason: snarky comment.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    huntington beach california
    Posts
    335
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nope just dont know where to look. it'll be my first build.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Montréal, QC (Canada)
    My Bikes
    2008 Surly LHT complete & 1988-ish fuglyfixed Specialized RockHopper
    Posts
    409
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you don't know the answer to those questions, I doubt you know how to build a wheel.

    Just sayin'

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    huntington beach california
    Posts
    335
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    again its gonna be a first time thing. i want to learn. lol

  6. #6
    edw
    edw is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    214
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    did you try a bike shop?

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    46
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    first build a bike then you can try wheelbuilding.

  8. #8
    OCP (Second Generation) BitterSweet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    North Carolina
    My Bikes
    2008 Cannondale Capo, Cannondale Road Tandem, Carbon Fiber Road Bike.
    Posts
    189
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    teh interwebz
    Be careful or be road-kill. -Calvin & Hobbes

    You aren't a true cyclist if you don't have awkward tan lines.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Rohnert Park, CA
    My Bikes
    Pake track, Soma DoubleCross, LeMond Etape, Maruishi RoadAce 303
    Posts
    1,248
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go to a bike shop. They exist for a reason. They will get you the rims and hubs you want with the right length spokes.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IRO has front and rear hubset for $30.
    Spokes and nipples--EBAY?

  11. #11
    sneeuwpret
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    South of Madison
    My Bikes
    lots
    Posts
    198
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bryyando View Post
    just as the the title says. where is the cheapest place for me to get parts such as spokes and nipples? also what kind of spokes should i get if i want to build a velocity deep v elvs? last question. bladed or not?
    Building a wheelset is not rocket science, but it is one of the trickier things to do in the world of bike repair. Are you extremely comfortable truing a wheel (side to side and hops)? Replacing a broken spoke? Dishing a wheel? Work on these first. Set a goal of a few months of work on the previously mentioned skills before tackling a build. Offer to do all this stuff for your friends or volunteer a bike coop or something to get the wrench time. You may very well be comfortable with lots of this, in which case, go for it. I just am amazed by the number of people who have never trued a wheel but expect to build one from scratch. Particularly if you want a well build set, there are lots of places that need careful attention. Sheldon's site is good. There are others as well, but having someone actually helping you can really help, because things like spoke lacing diagrams sometimes look crappy online. Also, do you have the correct tools for the task? These aren't cheap, so either plan on building lots of wheels or find someone else's you can use. If you are not sure what tools you need, you are not ready. It's nothing personal, just a litmus test.

    OK, if you know what you are doing, and the above paragraph is totally wasted (sorry), and you really are just looking for cheap parts - I don't know. I will say that I think bladed spokes are harder to build with, because I think they twist easier (they definately show twists easier), and their benefit is negligable/debatable. Oh, and you definitely want butted spokes. They are lighter, stronger, and only very slightly more expensive. I see no advantage to using straight gauge spokes.
    Last edited by geoffvsjeff; 07-07-08 at 04:31 PM. Reason: butted spoke recommendation
    Louis knows how to ride a bike, and he'll bring you beer to prove it.
    -MH

  12. #12
    god Judge_Posner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    SFC
    My Bikes
    cannondale f300, surly steamroller
    Posts
    411
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffvsjeff View Post
    Building a wheelset is not rocket science, but it is one of the trickier things to do in the world of bike repair. Are you extremely comfortable truing a wheel (side to side and hops)? Replacing a broken spoke? Dishing a wheel? Work on these first. Set a goal of a few months of work on the previously mentioned skills before tackling a build. Offer to do all this stuff for your friends or volunteer a bike coop or something to get the wrench time. You may very well be comfortable with lots of this, in which case, go for it. I just am amazed by the number of people who have never trued a wheel but expect to build one from scratch.
    i disagree.

    i don't think you need prior wheel experience in order to build a good wheel. i think you need a brain, access to the internet, maybe a book or two, and a couple of tools.

    building a wheel is not hard. its a step-by-step process that involves 95% following directions and 5% judgment. as for the lacing: 10 year old should be able to lace a 3x wheel after reading sheldon's guide. as for the tensioning/truing: if you do everything right (follow the directions!), the wheel should basically true itself. the only judgment call is knowing when the wheel has enough tension, but there are tricks to this as well. just do what sheldon says, and you can build a professional quality wheel.

    being comfortable with truing/replacing spokes/dishing would certainly help speed things along, but these are things you can learn very quickly by building a wheel.

  13. #13
    Senior Member EatMyA**'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    930
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Judge_Posner View Post
    i disagree.

    i don't think you need prior wheel experience in order to build a good wheel. i think you need a brain, access to the internet, maybe a book or two, and a couple of tools.

    building a wheel is not hard. its a step-by-step process that involves 95% following directions and 5% judgment. as for the lacing: 10 year old should be able to lace a 3x wheel after reading sheldon's guide. as for the tensioning/truing: if you do everything right (follow the directions!), the wheel should basically true itself. the only judgment call is knowing when the wheel has enough tension, but there are tricks to this as well. just do what sheldon says, and you can build a professional quality wheel.

    being comfortable with truing/replacing spokes/dishing would certainly help speed things along, but these are things you can learn very quickly by building a wheel.
    You know...that is true. its just a matter of time, taking 2 days for the beginner or 1hr for the professional.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    2,544
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bryyando View Post
    just as the the title says. where is the cheapest place for me to get parts such as spokes and nipples? also what kind of spokes should i get if i want to build a velocity deep v elvs? last question. bladed or not?
    I don't know where the cheapest place to get parts is, but I would try to get them locally if I were you. That way you can be sure everything is the right size/length.

    To answer your other questions, you should get either straight gauge or double-butted spokes, the length of which will depend on the hubs and rims you are using. You shouldn't use bladed spokes because that will require filing notches into the spoke holes on the hubs which I wouldn't recommend for a first build (unless you get custom drilled Phils or something like that).

  15. #15
    bum style sneaky viking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    CT
    My Bikes
    Poprad, Fuji conversion, Quattro Assi
    Posts
    664
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bryyando View Post
    where is the cheapest place for me to get parts such as spokes and nipples?
    [Insert cute little graphic that says 'why can't anyone answer the question?' Preferably involving Cookie Monster. Maybe holding up the vegetables they make him eat now instead of cookies.]

    Seriously, I go my LBS for spokes and the guy's like 'no one uses those kind of wheels anymore.' Like he literally doesn't have 32 of anything 292-295.
    The other shop I went to said they droppped all their spokes in the floor and would take forever to find the right ones. I've given up. I was reading this because I, also, just want to find a place on the internets that sells cheap spokes.


    I was thinking about buying from thios guy next time I need some:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/72-Sapim-Race-14...QQcmdZViewItem
    but his size selection's not as good as it was when I checked a couple weeks ago. You get 72, pick and choose up to 4 different lengths.
    Last edited by sneaky viking; 07-07-08 at 07:44 PM.

  16. #16
    cab horn
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    1987 Bianchi Campione
    Posts
    28,295
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Judge_Posner View Post
    the only judgment call is knowing when the wheel has enough tension, but there are tricks to this as well.
    It's not a judgement call. There's a tool called a tensionmeter which can objectively quantify and present to the user the exact tension on the spoke.
    Mes compaingnons cui j'amoie et cui j'aim,... Me di, chanson.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    huntington beach california
    Posts
    335
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yea i dont really know what im doing. but it was the same thing with everything else i have ever done. i want the experience and i do have people to check it out after im done so im all set on that. now for me to figure out the spoke length what do i need to check?

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    2,544
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bryyando View Post
    yea i dont really know what im doing. but it was the same thing with everything else i have ever done. i want the experience and i do have people to check it out after im done so im all set on that. now for me to figure out the spoke length what do i need to check?
    Spoke length is a function of the hub, the rim and the lacing pattern. There are calculators for this online, which I'm too lazy to do a search for right now (but hopefully you are not). Otherwise go to a shop and tell them what rims/hubs you have and how you intend to lace your wheels and they should be able to give you the correct length spokes.

  19. #19
    god Judge_Posner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    SFC
    My Bikes
    cannondale f300, surly steamroller
    Posts
    411
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by operator View Post
    It's not a judgement call. There's a tool called a tensionmeter which can objectively quantify and present to the user the exact tension on the spoke.
    haha sorry to turn this into a wheelbuilding debate thread.... but....

    a tensiometer is useful to make sure all your spokes are the same tension relative to each other, but it doesn't tell you when your wheel is at the right tension as a whole. thats more a matter of feel, a.k.a. judgment.

    what i mean is, every combination of spokes/rims is going to need a different overall tension. no chart or graph can tell you "bring all your spokes up to exactly X Kgf." so there is still some judgment needed. but my point still stands -- its not a hard judgment to make. OP should definitely give it a shot!

  20. #20
    No plan. peabodypride's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    2,744
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    Spoke length is a function of the hub, the rim and the lacing pattern. There are calculators for this online, which I'm too lazy to do a search for right now (but hopefully you are not). Otherwise go to a shop and tell them what rims/hubs you have and how you intend to lace your wheels and they should be able to give you the correct length spokes.
    +1000, stores will have a legit copy of spocalc or another spoke calculator program which, from what I understand, regularly updates its hub/rim database. better and more trustworthy than a calculator online.

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    huntington beach california
    Posts
    335
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the debate is fine. it just allows me more opinions.

  22. #22
    sneeuwpret
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    South of Madison
    My Bikes
    lots
    Posts
    198
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Judge_Posner View Post
    the wheel should basically true itself.
    "should" being the key word here. There are plenty of times where things don't quite go according to plan, but those occassions are just learning opportunities.

    Quote Originally Posted by Judge_Posner View Post
    the only judgment call is knowing when the wheel has enough tension, but there are tricks to this as well.
    I agree with you on this. I used a tensionmeter on my official shop builds, but I usually just use spoke tone (pluck a spoke) and/or feel when building a wheelset for me (mainly since i do not own a tensionmeter or work at a shop anymore). I can't say the tensionmeter really helped that much. Early on I liked it, because it did give some benchmarks to make sure i was in the right ballpark, but that is about it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Judge_Posner View Post
    just do what sheldon says, and you can build a professional quality wheel.
    I think this is a bit of a stretch, especially considering the range of quality amongst "pros." However, I am pretty sure I know what you mean - if you are careful (probably will take time), you can most likely get close to the quality of your average lbs build. OK, now that I re-read that last sentance I wrote, I guess I sort of agree with you.

    Quote Originally Posted by Judge_Posner View Post
    being comfortable with truing/replacing spokes/dishing would certainly help speed things along, but these are things you can learn very quickly by building a wheel.
    It still seems strange to me to try building a wheel without ever truing a wheel, but give it a try. If you are doing this to save $$, you are probably not going to come out ahead much, but the feel and durability of hand build wheels really is great and worth the work.
    Last edited by geoffvsjeff; 07-08-08 at 03:03 PM. Reason: spelz bad
    Louis knows how to ride a bike, and he'll bring you beer to prove it.
    -MH

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •