Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Calzone Torino?

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    73
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Calzone Torino?

    Hello SS and FG forums. (1st post here)

    I found this italian frame (refer to title) but I can't find anything about it online. All searches on here lead to pizza and calzones.

    Wondering if anybody had any light they could shed on this bike.

    NIB campy record rear hub for sale 28h, pm me for info

  2. #2
    reedreeder
    Guest
    haha i'd never think there would be so many places listed on google named torino's that sell calzones.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Cambridge, MA
    Posts
    91
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found this on classic rendezvous
    http://www.classicrendezvous.com/Italy/calzone_main.htm

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    73
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmmm.. thanks for the help

    and yes I told you it's all about pizzerias haha

    I hate to turn this into a would you buy it thread but I just can't get any info on what the bike is worth.

    $650 complete
    54cm columbus slx tubing cinelli bottom bracket. campy drop outs. shimano dura ace bb and crankset. shimano 600 pedals with clips. cinelli stem and pista bar. brand new velocity deep v wheelset. new kevlar tires. new chain and tape.

    or $350
    Frameset
    please delete if this goes against the rules :\
    NIB campy record rear hub for sale 28h, pm me for info

  5. #5
    Senior Member jet sanchEz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    7,302
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it is your size then get the complete bike, it is a good price (assuming there are no dents/dings/rust).

    Maybe try the guys in the Classics and Vintage section too, their knowledge is vast.

  6. #6
    Senior Member TNCLR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Oakland, CA
    My Bikes
    De Rosa Super Prestige track - STOLEN, Walter Godefroot Pista, '92 Eddy Merckx track, '86 Eddy Merckx track Team Faema colors.
    Posts
    910
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never heard of that marquee, but there were plenty of tiny shops building bicycles in the 80's. I'm pretty confident in saying it's nothing special. Meaning, it wasn't made by Ernesto Colnago or Cinelli, etc. That said, the components used to build the frame do speak volumes of its quality. I'd like to think when you see Columbus SLX, Cinelli lugs, Campy ends, etc. you can *generally* come to the conclusion it is a nice frame, right? Those were not the materials of the "cheap bikes".

  7. #7
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Calzone Torino

    I actually own a Calzone bike, got it as a present in 1983, and still use it! I don't know much about bikes, but it's sturdy and still works fine, and I think it's quite cool. It's identical to the "John Hughe's Calzone" in that link posted earlier...

    steph

  8. #8
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! I can't believe I finally found someone else who rides a Calzone Torino. I bought mine in 1981 and I am still riding it. Had it restored and brought up to date in 1998. The bike turns heads and is a great ride. I don't know what they are worth but I paid $850 in 1982. The restoration and updating with Campy in1998 was $1500--done by areal pro--Jim Peters in Cincinnati. I would have to be offered a lot to let it go.

  9. #9
    Senior Member preston811's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    424
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mmm, did someone say calzone?


  10. #10
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a pic of my bike. I ride it to work every day!

    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1050819222

    I live in Athens, Greece. I guess you're in Cincinnati?

    steph

  11. #11
    Senior Member the_don's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    1,917
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stheotok View Post
    Here's a pic of my bike. I ride it to work every day!

    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1050819222

    I live in Athens, Greece. I guess you're in Cincinnati?

    steph
    That bike is beautiful!

  12. #12
    . bbattle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Huntsville, Alabama
    My Bikes
    1985 Pinarello Trevisio, 1991 Colnago Master, '06 Bianchi San Jose, 1987 Moulton Fuso, '80's Gardin Shred?, '82 John Howard(Dave Tesch)
    Posts
    11,422
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TNCLR View Post
    I've never heard of that marquee, but there were plenty of tiny shops building bicycles in the 80's. I'm pretty confident in saying it's nothing special. Meaning, it wasn't made by Ernesto Colnago or Cinelli, etc. That said, the components used to build the frame do speak volumes of its quality. I'd like to think when you see Columbus SLX, Cinelli lugs, Campy ends, etc. you can *generally* come to the conclusion it is a nice frame, right? Those were not the materials of the "cheap bikes".
    +1 Get that Calzone. Post pics in C & V.

  13. #13
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    akicita2000

    Quote Originally Posted by stheotok View Post
    Here's a pic of my bike. I ride it to work every day!

    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1050819222

    I live in Athens, Greece. I guess you're in Cincinnati?

    steph
    No. I live in Fort Myers Florida. I bought the bike in Miami but had it restored in Cincinnati. Mine is Pearl White with yellow trim. I'll try to get a photo. They are gorgeous bikes.

  14. #14
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by akicita2000 View Post
    No. I live in Fort Myers Florida. I bought the bike in Miami but had it restored in Cincinnati. Mine is Pearl White with yellow trim. I'll try to get a photo. They are gorgeous bikes.
    I used to have a Calzone that was custom built for me - It was the only way you could get them in the eighties. Unfortunately, it was stolen from my house in a break in where they also took a Klein mountain bike, as well. There was only one store in Miami that sold Calzones and, due to the cost, there were not many around in the Miami area. Just out of curiosity, what was the color of your Calzone before you had it restored?

  15. #15
    for dynamic hybrid logics prooftheory's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Buffalo NY
    Posts
    2,023
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

  16. #16
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BuggEye View Post
    I used to have a Calzone that was custom built for me - It was the only way you could get them in the eighties. Unfortunately, it was stolen from my house in a break in where they also took a Klein mountain bike, as well. There was only one store in Miami that sold Calzones and, due to the cost, there were not many around in the Miami area. Just out of curiosity, what was the color of your Calzone before you had it restored?
    Yeah! Coconut Grove Bike Shop sold them. We had ours made there as well. Mine was and is a beautiful pearl white. Sorry to hear about the theft. There is no mistaking them on the trail but if it was stolen in Miami its probably out of the country.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •