Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    202
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    new to me 83 paramount

    i know it is set up pretty wonky, but thats the way it was when i got it today:

    83 paramount with cinelli bottom bracket,
    full miche group,
    nitto njs stem and bars, ((also have the miche stem and headset (not pictured)),
    velocity deep v rims (going to lace some nice box section rims to those miche hubs and ditch the v's)
    comfy turbo saddle


    needs a little paint and some TLC. hopefully the chrome on the lugs is still in good shape under all of that paint.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bad news hughes; 08-14-08 at 06:52 AM.

  2. #2
    Needs to Ride More hxzero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    irvine/sb
    My Bikes
    1996 Bianchi EL/OS, 1988 Fuji Sundance
    Posts
    757
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice!

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    202
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks! i'm really psyched

  4. #4
    Blue Light Special kmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Bay Area, Sunny Cali
    My Bikes
    '05 Felt F55, Schwinn Prologue road bike, '86 Centurion DS Iron Man, Sette Flite AM MTB
    Posts
    1,469
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm hoping you're not one of those guys that's going to "color coordinate" their bike ("ooh, the frame is blue! I know what to do here: get a blue chain, blue Deep Vs, a blue stem and a blue grill 4 realz!").

    It could use some dazzling up (unless you prefer low key or purely functional stuff), but don't go too far with it. It's too nice a bike
    Quote Originally Posted by KrisPistofferson View Post
    racer x flies across cobblestones with a grimace of determination, three feet of seatpost, bars level with ankles, carbon fiber frame with Kryptonite lugs and a millimeter clearance between the fork and the 700x21c tires. This gives everyone a *****

  5. #5
    Unhip
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    50
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    jealous. make it classy.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    202
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kmart View Post
    I'm hoping you're not one of those guys that's going to "color coordinate" their bike ("ooh, the frame is blue! I know what to do here: get a blue chain, blue Deep Vs, a blue stem and a blue grill 4 realz!").

    It could use some dazzling up (unless you prefer low key or purely functional stuff), but don't go too far with it. It's too nice a bike
    no way, the most color coordinating i want to do, is chrome the lugs, and maybe get some silver-colored rims and spokes (maybe open pro's? any suggestions are welcome- something light and durable for ****ty nyc roads, but don't want it to look too out of place on that bike).

    when i paint, i want to chose a color that is true to the original colors of paramounts of that time. thinking maybe black, but not too sure yet. considering getting an old decal set, but maybe it will be better to leave the decals off

    the only controversial thing i'm planning on doing is putting a brake on (so i don't die). looking at clamp-on options, because i am definitely not drilling the fork

  7. #7
    Blue Light Special kmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Bay Area, Sunny Cali
    My Bikes
    '05 Felt F55, Schwinn Prologue road bike, '86 Centurion DS Iron Man, Sette Flite AM MTB
    Posts
    1,469
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's pretty easy to make your own clamp for a rear brake using two steel plates. Clamp the plates near the rear seatstay bridge, drill a hole through both plates and thread the brake caliper through, clamping it with some washers and a nut on the other side. For the front it's more difficult to make a clamp that is strong but doesn't harm the fork legs, but they can be bought.

    Open Pros get my vote for low key aesthetics and functionality. I have no idea what would be period correct for a Paramount, especially for a track model.
    Quote Originally Posted by KrisPistofferson View Post
    racer x flies across cobblestones with a grimace of determination, three feet of seatpost, bars level with ankles, carbon fiber frame with Kryptonite lugs and a millimeter clearance between the fork and the 700x21c tires. This gives everyone a *****

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    83
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice. I love Paramounts. Good luck!

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    96
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great bike! Congratulations.

    Please post some good photos when you're finished setting it up.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    125
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    to chrome those lugs (assuming your frame is chromed underneath), strip the paint, buff/polish/shine the the lugs you want showing, mask off those lugs and then repaint in a new color.

    since you mentioned you already want to do a repaint youll be able to kill 2 birds with one stone.

    btw, nice bike
    St-Stuntin is a habit

    Boulder Fixed Gear

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    202
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paramount View Post
    Great bike! Congratulations.

    Please post some good photos when you're finished setting it up.
    I will for sure

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    202
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ksyrius View Post
    to chrome those lugs (assuming your frame is chromed underneath), strip the paint, buff/polish/shine the the lugs you want showing, mask off those lugs and then repaint in a new color.

    since you mentioned you already want to do a repaint youll be able to kill 2 birds with one stone.

    btw, nice bike
    Thanks for rhe advice and kind words. I am hoping there is chrome on those lugs, and that it is in decent shape. Not sure If I should have it painted professionally, or to just give it a go myself..

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •