Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Senior Member JonnyHK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Hong Kong
    My Bikes
    Baum Romano, Colossi xCr, Lynskey Crosstown, Giant ATX
    Posts
    1,892
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Noob question - chain tensioners on road frames

    Hi All,

    I'm struggling to find a secondhand track/singlespeed suitable frame in my part of the world (Hong Kong), so now I'm on to Plan B.

    Plan B is to use a road frame and to put a chain tensioning arm on it (bolts on where the derailleur goes) to allow for the different dropout shape.

    I've seen the type of thing I could use - http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...ingleator.aspx

    I will also be looking at using a standard roadbike wheelset and a spacer kit to convert the 8/9/10 speed cassette area to a single speed.

    Does anyone have experience with a conversion like this? Will it work fine?

    It might not impress the Fixie purists, but my goal is a single speed bike to use to ride to work, thus saving my Ultegra equipped road bike for training on the weekends.

  2. #2
    Senior Member bidaci's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Suburban Boston
    Posts
    472
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JonnyHK View Post
    Hi All,

    I'm struggling to find a secondhand track/singlespeed suitable frame in my part of the world (Hong Kong), so now I'm on to Plan B.

    Plan B is to use a road frame and to put a chain tensioning arm on it (bolts on where the derailleur goes) to allow for the different dropout shape.

    I've seen the type of thing I could use - http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...ingleator.aspx

    I will also be looking at using a standard roadbike wheelset and a spacer kit to convert the 8/9/10 speed cassette area to a single speed.

    Does anyone have experience with a conversion like this? Will it work fine?

    It might not impress the Fixie purists, but my goal is a single speed bike to use to ride to work, thus saving my Ultegra equipped road bike for training on the weekends.
    The Singulator will work fine as a tensioner as long as you are only going single speed. Do not use this if you are going to be trying fixed. It is a very common tensioner for the MTB world.
    Bill

    - Serotta Columbus III - Aegis Trident SS TT - Trek 8000zx -

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    four 1 OHHH , Maryland
    My Bikes
    nagasawa, fuji track pro
    Posts
    2,572
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    there are some (not that many) fg tensioners that will also work on road frames, but it's not the prettiest. still functional though

  4. #4
    Senior Member JonnyHK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Hong Kong
    My Bikes
    Baum Romano, Colossi xCr, Lynskey Crosstown, Giant ATX
    Posts
    1,892
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys.

    Just got a lead on an old Raleigh that I can have for free. It is "a classic" so I'm guessing late 80s or early 90s! Just waiting to see it...

    The project begins!

  5. #5
    Don't be that guy jgrendel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Portland, ME
    My Bikes
    1988 Peugeot Bordeaux
    Posts
    105
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JonnyHK View Post
    Thanks guys.

    Just got a lead on an old Raleigh that I can have for free. It is "a classic" so I'm guessing late 80s or early 90s! Just waiting to see it...

    The project begins!
    Then it's likely to have horizontal or semi-horizontal dropouts. If so, you won't need the tensioner.

    Good luck!

  6. #6
    FNG Jabba Degrassi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    My Bikes
    2008 IRO Angus, 2008 Jamis Exile 29er
    Posts
    2,313
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jdms mvp View Post
    there are some (not that many) fg tensioners that will also work on road frames, but it's not the prettiest. still functional though
    Fixed gear tensioners? Do you have a link or something, or did you just mean single-speed tensioners?

    Again, normal tensioners should NOT be used for fixed applications.
    velospace: Angus | Exile | Jake The Snake

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    2,544
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabba Degrassi View Post
    Fixed gear tensioners? Do you have a link or something, or did you just mean single-speed tensioners?

    Again, normal tensioners should NOT be used for fixed applications.
    I think he means the tensioners that go in the fork ends on a track bike to pull the wheel tight, which is not the same kind of tensioner that the OP is talking about.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •