Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-17-08, 07:18 AM   #1
unogear
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Mountain View, CA
Bikes: Motobecane Messenger
Posts: 91
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Brake toe adjustment

How to adjust the brake shoes to toe in? Thx,
unogear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-08, 07:33 AM   #2
jhaber
Hip-star
 
jhaber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Bikes:
Posts: 630
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
As I understand this modern road brake pads should toe themselves in properly. For mountain bike pads I like to take a zip tie and pull the end throw the catch of the tie to leave a small circle a bit bigger than the pad. Then place the circle over the back of the pad (the end facing the back of the bike). Then squeeze the brakes to the rim with the zip tie still on the back of pad (the front of the pad should be touching the rim and the zip tie should be touching the rim in the back), adjust the pad to follow the curve of the braking surface, adjust the height of the pad, adjust both brake pads till they are similarly aligned on both sides of the wheel and they should be aligned and toed in perfectly.

I also find it helpful to adjust the bolt holding the pad to working tension and then recheck that everything is correct then tighten down to the proper tension. If the pad moves when tightening it down it probably means the bolt (for v brakes) holding the brake wasn't cleaned and greased properly before installing the caliper.

Last edited by jhaber; 10-17-08 at 07:38 AM.
jhaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-08, 07:48 AM   #3
elTwitcho
Live without dead time
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Toronto
Bikes:
Posts: 2,137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaber View Post
As I understand this modern road brake pads should toe themselves in properly. For mountain bike pads I like to take a zip tie and pull the end throw the catch of the tie to leave a small circle a bit bigger than the pad. Then place the circle over the back of the pad (the end facing the back of the bike). Then squeeze the brakes to the rim with the zip tie still on the back of pad (the front of the pad should be touching the rim and the zip tie should be touching the rim in the back), adjust the pad to follow the curve of the braking surface, adjust the height of the pad, adjust both brake pads till they are similarly aligned on both sides of the wheel and they should be aligned and toed in perfectly.

I also find it helpful to adjust the bolt holding the pad to working tension and then recheck that everything is correct then tighten down to the proper tension. If the pad moves when tightening it down it probably means the bolt (for v brakes) holding the brake wasn't cleaned and greased properly before installing the caliper.
I've used something similar. I just take a piece of cardboard from something like a cigarette pack and put it under the very rearmost portion of the brake pad. Then I squeeze down the brake lever before tightening the bolt down and that should toe the pad in properly.

Park tools has a good writeup

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=21

If you're using dual pivot calipers you shouldn't need to adjust toe so far as I know
elTwitcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-08, 09:24 AM   #4
somegeek
Harumph
 
somegeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 390
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
elTwitcho - thanks for posting that link... pic is worth 1000 words.



Quote:
If you're using dual pivot calipers you shouldn't need to adjust toe so far as I know
Why would dual-pivot calipers negate the need/advantage of toe-in on your pads?
somegeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-08, 11:27 AM   #5
elTwitcho
Live without dead time
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Toronto
Bikes:
Posts: 2,137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by somegeek View Post
Why would dual-pivot calipers negate the need/advantage of toe-in on your pads?
According to the park tools site
Quote:
Loosen and lubricate threads of pad bolt/nut. Adjust height of right pad to strike lower edge of braking surface. Adjust height of left pad to strike the upper edge of braking surface. Most dual pivot pads adjust only for height and tangent. Vertical face and toe alignments are not typically adjustable on dual pivot calipers. Tighten pad-fixing bolts.
So apparently it's a matter of not being ABLE to do it, I was always told you just didn't have to. I wouldn't know for sure as I've never honestly tried adjusting my dual pivots, they've been fine in the few months I've had my bike. Previously I had V-brakes which I personally think are a superior braking system but that's neither here nor there.
elTwitcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-08, 11:52 AM   #6
somegeek
Harumph
 
somegeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 390
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ah gotcha - thanks. I thought I recalled that my pads could be adjusted to add toe-in if desired when I was installing them - could be wrong though.
somegeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-08, 01:21 PM   #7
unogear
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Mountain View, CA
Bikes: Motobecane Messenger
Posts: 91
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My problem is on my dual pivot caliper I just installed, one of the pad is even toe out. So How can I fix this? Or can I? Thx,
unogear is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:09 AM.