Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Senior Member Adam G.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    532
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    I think I have ape arms.

    My bike came with a stock stem of 70cm, way short. I just bought a 90cm today took a little ride and somewhat see a slight little difference. Maybe I should go for a 100cm or longer, I ride with bullhorns now and feel I can stretch out more, I am switching to drops soon. I am 5'11" anyone else with long arms I would like to hear some suggestions or what stem length you ride.
    Last edited by Adam G.; 10-17-08 at 09:11 PM.

  2. #2
    Cycling afficianado keesue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    San Francisco
    My Bikes
    2002 Lemond Zurich, 2003 F600 Cannondale, 2003 Specialized Enduro, 2008 Torelli SS/FG
    Posts
    175
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ride a 110mm stem on both my bikes, road and single speed, and this works nicely. Both are 55cm bikes and fit me perfectly.

  3. #3
    Team Smartass middy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Tejas, brah!
    Posts
    461
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam G. View Post
    My bike came with a stock stem of 70cm, way short. I just bought a 90cm today took a little ride and somewhat see a slight little difference. Maybe I should go for a 100cm or longer, I ride with bullhorns now and feel I can stretch out more, I am switching to drops soon. I am 5'11" anyone else with long arms I would like to hear some suggestions or what stem length you ride.
    I think you mean cm, not mm.

    Edit: wait, switch that.
    Last edited by middy; 10-17-08 at 09:54 PM. Reason: I'm dum

  4. #4
    Senior Member JayNev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    842
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well, the top tube definitely comes into play here.
    i'll coast when i'm dead

  5. #5
    Villainous huerro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Austin
    My Bikes
    Trek 420, Cyclops
    Posts
    1,896
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by middy View Post
    I think you mean cm, not mm.
    um...dude...

  6. #6
    Team Smartass middy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Tejas, brah!
    Posts
    461
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huerro View Post
    um...dude...

  7. #7
    Ride for Life wearyourtruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    2,733
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this really doesn't help your situation bike-wise, but if you want to know if it's really your arms or if it's all in your head, in rock climbing we have the term "ape index." your ape index is the distance of your outstretched arms, fingertip to fingertip, in relation to your height. if you are 5'10" and your arms are 6'0" then your ape index is +2. if you are 5'11" and your arms are 5'10" then you are -1. a "normal" person is within an inch. a large ape index (which can be highly beneficial in climbing) is usually anything over +2.

    i, sadly, am -1.5
    before posting, a "noob" should always ask themselves "could this have been answered by first visiting Sheldon Brown

    -Tim-
    www.velocipedebikeproject.org

  8. #8
    Villainous huerro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Austin
    My Bikes
    Trek 420, Cyclops
    Posts
    1,896
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by middy View Post
    Yeah, but isn't it nice to know that someone's actually paying attention to what you write?

  9. #9
    Team Smartass middy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Tejas, brah!
    Posts
    461
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huerro View Post
    Yeah, but isn't it nice to know that someone's actually paying attention to what you write?
    Somebody better be, cause Lord knows I ain't.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Palm Beach County, Florida
    Posts
    182
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol @ a 90cm stem (thats like 3 feet)!! if thats not long enough i dunno if a bike is such a great idea!

  11. #11
    IRL Banhammer idiq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    RVA
    Posts
    671
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back on topic, you can't really guage someone by their height alone what size stem they should have on their bike. I have extremely long legs relative to my torso, so I have to ride a shorter stem / TT or I'll be too stretched out. My friend races cat1 and uses a 130mm stem, so keep going until you're comfortable. Also, are you using a 0 setback seatpost? What size frame are you riding? Does it have compact geometry / sloping TT?
    saddle sores bike club | prepare to be rode

  12. #12
    Senior Member Adam G.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    532
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by idiq View Post
    Back on topic, you can't really guage someone by their height alone what size stem they should have on their bike. I have extremely long legs relative to my torso, so I have to ride a shorter stem / TT or I'll be too stretched out. My friend races cat1 and uses a 130mm stem, so keep going until you're comfortable. Also, are you using a 0 setback seatpost? What size frame are you riding? Does it have compact geometry / sloping TT?
    I ride a 56 frame, it is an SE Lager so the geometry is not to compact. Not sure what you mean about a 0 setback seatpost, but I would like to know, but I am assuming if I have my seat moved forward or back? I am going to move up to a 100mm steam, I think that would be a perfect fit.

  13. #13
    IRL Banhammer idiq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    RVA
    Posts
    671
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam G. View Post
    I ride a 56 frame, it is an SE Lager so the geometry is not to compact. Not sure what you mean about a 0 setback seatpost, but I would like to know, but I am assuming if I have my seat moved forward or back? I am going to move up to a 100mm steam, I think that would be a perfect fit.
    A 0 setback post is one like most of the Thomson seatposts you see (Thomson does make a setback post though), the rails are directly above the seatpost rather than setback about 2cm.

    On a 56cm, most people will ride a 10cm stem. You can always do the old-quick way of fitting, by seating yourself on the bike (and grabbing the bars) and looking straight down - if the hub is blocked out by the bars/stem then the length is right. This doesn't always hold by necessity though. Also, I ride a shorter stem with my bullhorns because I find my arms are stretched out a tad further than on drops with hoods (syntace stratos).
    saddle sores bike club | prepare to be rode

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Tempe AZ
    My Bikes
    Mondonico Road, Novaro Randonee Touring
    Posts
    179
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have 120 on my road bike and 100 on my touring bike (shorter for long days with a load). I think you will find that most low or mid priced bikes come with a short stem because beginners prefer an upright position, so you shouldn't be surprised that after riding a while you find you need to stretch out more.

    The old guideline is that when riding in the drops, your handlebar should hide your view of the front hub - that's not a hard and fast rule (so no flames please), but gives a rough assunance that your balanced properly front to rear.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •