Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-28-04, 05:03 PM   #1
pinky
Ink-Stained Wretch
Thread Starter
 
pinky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Holyoke, MA
Bikes:
Posts: 1,731
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For all you anarchist/punk fixxie types

http://www.circleacycles.com

Pretty damn sweet frame builder in Providence, and though they don't list prices on site, they're pretty cheap.
pinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-04, 05:12 PM   #2
OneTinSloth
(Grouchy)
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Bikes:
Posts: 3,643
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DEATH TO THE CIRCLE A!!! (the symbol, not the bike company).

edit: the only thing that would keep me from wanting one of those are the dropouts...and the headbadge. it's a cool idea, but poorly executed as a decal. i wish more companies that purport to be all "artisany" would go all the way and make REAL, METAL, rivetted-on headbadges. that circle-a one could be really cool if it was done up right...
OneTinSloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-04, 05:23 PM   #3
OneTinSloth
(Grouchy)
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Bikes:
Posts: 3,643
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
eh, i looked around on the site a little more and saw that they DO offer more dropout options than just the paul ones, and they have better headtube badges...but then i was a little disappointed later on while browsing the "anarchism" page, and the "about us" page. it just smacks of the same old crap, marketing to kids who think they believe in anarchy...probably the same kids who shop for "circle A" patches at hot topic. an anarchist isn't going to spend $500 on a bike frame...an anarchist isn't going to HAVE that kind of money... HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE. taking advantage of people's beliefs to make money is pretty damn low. people want to make and sell bike frames, make and sell bike frames. just don't go preaching about anarchy and destroying the "profit motive" on your website that's marketing your bicycles which you're selling FOR PROFIT, using a symbol commonly associated with "anarchy."

Quote:
I could go on about the finest Columbus and Dedacciai tubing, the gentlest MAPP torches, the finest TIG welds. The tightest hand-filed miters, the finest PPG paints, the most painstaking craftmanship. And that would all be true.

But the real reason ours are the best is because of love. We love bikes, and we love to build bikes, more than anyone else. For us, bikes aren't toys or simple transportation or art.

Quote:
We hate the market and all it stands for, the commodification of life and desire and values. We hate all authority and all oppression. But what Circle A Cycles really hates is what the market has done to bikes - turning them into toothless playthings of yuppies. It's a radical technology, folks, but there's a whole lot of marketing going on. There's lots of gear and lots of money to be spent, but the only thing you need is to ride.
marketing, marketing, marketing, marketing...columbus tubing costs $$$, welding supplies and craftsmanship cost $$$...their "about us" page reads like just about every other custom frame builder's "about us" page, except the other guys don't claim to want to smash the system that's making them all their money. i love how they say that stuff about the yuppies, yet, they make a high-end road racing frame, AND sell a racing jersey AND they're sponsored by schwalbe tires...they're turning themselves into exactly what they claim to hate so much.

Last edited by OneTinSloth; 03-28-04 at 05:37 PM. Reason: to increase the rantage...
OneTinSloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-04, 05:37 PM   #4
OneTinSloth
(Grouchy)
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Bikes:
Posts: 3,643
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
yeah yeah....saw that later on...read my edited post...
OneTinSloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-04, 12:06 AM   #5
Thylacine
Industry Maven
 
Thylacine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Wherever good bikes are sold
Bikes: Thylacines...only Thylacines.
Posts: 2,936
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTinSloth
DEATH TO THE CIRCLE A!!! (the symbol, not the bike company).

edit: the only thing that would keep me from wanting one of those are the dropouts...and the headbadge. it's a cool idea, but poorly executed as a decal. i wish more companies that purport to be all "artisany" would go all the way and make REAL, METAL, rivetted-on headbadges. that circle-a one could be really cool if it was done up right...
What, you mean like this?





Thylacine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-04, 08:37 PM   #6
jim-bob
hateful little monkey
 
jim-bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: oakland, ca
Bikes:
Posts: 5,274
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTinSloth
eh, i looked around on the site a little more and saw that they DO offer more dropout options than just the paul ones, and they have better headtube badges...but then i was a little disappointed later on while browsing the "anarchism" page, and the "about us" page. it just smacks of the same old crap, marketing to kids who think they believe in anarchy...probably the same kids who shop for "circle A" patches at hot topic. an anarchist isn't going to spend $500 on a bike frame...an anarchist isn't going to HAVE that kind of money... HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE. taking advantage of people's beliefs to make money is pretty damn low. people want to make and sell bike frames, make and sell bike frames. just don't go preaching about anarchy and destroying the "profit motive" on your website that's marketing your bicycles which you're selling FOR PROFIT, using a symbol commonly associated with "anarchy."






marketing, marketing, marketing, marketing...columbus tubing costs $$$, welding supplies and craftsmanship cost $$$...their "about us" page reads like just about every other custom frame builder's "about us" page, except the other guys don't claim to want to smash the system that's making them all their money. i love how they say that stuff about the yuppies, yet, they make a high-end road racing frame, AND sell a racing jersey AND they're sponsored by schwalbe tires...they're turning themselves into exactly what they claim to hate so much.
Remember, it's only consumerism when someone else does it! Buying things from thrift shops and record stores isn't really supporting the system! We have always been at war with Oceania.

Still, I guess it's about time we had a fancy boutique frame shop 'for da punx'.
jim-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-04, 09:52 PM   #7
skitbraviking
the way we get by
 
skitbraviking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Wherever the f**k I feel it
Bikes: Cinelli Supercorsa / Surly Karate Monkey
Posts: 2,719
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinky
http://www.circleacycles.com

Pretty damn sweet frame builder in Providence, and though they don't list prices on site, they're pretty cheap.
Politics and rants aside: know how much these beauties for for?
skitbraviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-04, 11:46 PM   #8
pitboss
cxmagazine dot com
 
pitboss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: WI
Bikes: Titus road, Fort CX
Posts: 8,269
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thylacine
What, you mean like this?





who'da thought Indonesian 11 year olds with missing fingers could wrap steel together so beautifully...with only 3.5 fingers. I bet the Nike plants are mad you took some of their "C-levels" away.
pitboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-04, 12:06 AM   #9
OneTinSloth
(Grouchy)
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Bikes:
Posts: 3,643
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim-bob
Remember, it's only consumerism when someone else does it! Buying things from thrift shops and record stores isn't really supporting the system! We have always been at war with Oceania.

Still, I guess it's about time we had a fancy boutique frame shop 'for da punx'.
i can't tell if you're replying to me and agreeing, or attempting to be sarcastic and derisive...but...
i don't claim to not support the system... i don't usually shop at thrift shops and record stores, in fact, i haven't "shopped" in quite some time, due to my unemployment. when i get my first paycheck, i'm going straight down to the bike shop to stock up on tubes, tires, chains, and cables, then i'll go to the record shop and get pick up some new cds (oh no, supporting the RIAA!!!). i don't disagree with people making bikes for a living, i also don't disagree with subsistance-living anarcho-punks and their lifestyle. but i DO take issue with people using their radical political beliefs to sell products, particularily when said beliefs abhor the consumerist cycle. i'm sure they're great frames, and well worth the money or whatever, but i have to heartily disagree with them using their politics to sell things...seems a tad contradictory to me. and for that, if i ever want to get a custom frame, i'll probably go with another builder, and i'm sure that the folks at circle A cycles could give two sh*ts what i do with my money. but i'd rather buy something from someone who is saying "you know what really stinks is capitalism and consumerism and democracy, you know what's great is anarchy, here, buy my bike frame!" then again, maybe i could barter with them and work out a trade? that wouldn't be feeding the system....or would it???
OneTinSloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-04, 01:38 AM   #10
Thylacine
Industry Maven
 
Thylacine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Wherever good bikes are sold
Bikes: Thylacines...only Thylacines.
Posts: 2,936
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 165-48:17
who'da thought Indonesian 11 year olds with missing fingers could wrap steel together so beautifully...with only 3.5 fingers. I bet the Nike plants are mad you took some of their "C-levels" away.
Yeah, I'm the worlds first 6ft 4in red haired Indonesian. Actually, I'd get some Indo kiddies to bend the frikken head badges, only problem is....... I'm cheaper.

Slothy, maybe you should try bartering with Circle A? I'm sure if you scour eBay, you could trade them a vintage Birthday Party or Circle Jerks t-shirt for a frame? Sounds like a fair deal to me!
Thylacine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-04, 02:14 AM   #11
slopvehicle
ass hatchet
 
slopvehicle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Bikes:
Posts: 1,284
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I guess one could argue that Surly does a lot of business on the same image-- punk rock bikes, made in Taiwan. Right?


My ego lives and dies by the brand name, kids....
slopvehicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-04, 08:18 AM   #12
Jonny B
Not-so-Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Norfolk, England
Bikes: Orbea Enol roadie, Fly Micromachine BMX, Fort Track fixed
Posts: 805
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTinSloth
the headbadge. it's a cool idea, but poorly executed as a decal. i wish more companies that purport to be all "artisany" would go all the way and make REAL, METAL, rivetted-on headbadges. that circle-a one could be really cool if it was done up right...
You mean like this...?

Jonny B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-04, 08:27 AM   #13
pitboss
cxmagazine dot com
 
pitboss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: WI
Bikes: Titus road, Fort CX
Posts: 8,269
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thylacine
Slothy, maybe you should try bartering with Circle A? I'm sure if you scour eBay, you could trade them a vintage Birthday Party or Circle Jerks t-shirt for a frame? Sounds like a fair deal to me!
HA HA HA!!! Spot-on! I think I still have a "Rites of Spring" flyer somewhere they might go for...
pitboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-04, 08:39 AM   #14
Schiek
Rhymes With Bike
 
Schiek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Washington DC
Bikes:
Posts: 1,221
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 165-48:17
HA HA HA!!! Spot-on! I think I still have a "Rites of Spring" flyer somewhere they might go for...
Why did the punk cross the road?
__________________
destructible.
In The Crosshairs
Schiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-04, 08:59 AM   #15
pitboss
cxmagazine dot com
 
pitboss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: WI
Bikes: Titus road, Fort CX
Posts: 8,269
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schiek
Why did the punk cross the road?
to kick your @ss
pitboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-04, 09:01 AM   #16
Schiek
Rhymes With Bike
 
Schiek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Washington DC
Bikes:
Posts: 1,221
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 165-48:17
to kick your @ss
No, because Ian told him to.
__________________
destructible.
In The Crosshairs
Schiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-04, 09:08 AM   #17
pitboss
cxmagazine dot com
 
pitboss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: WI
Bikes: Titus road, Fort CX
Posts: 8,269
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schiek
No, because Ian told him to.
wow...DC punks are suckers then?
pitboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-04, 11:30 AM   #18
jim-bob
hateful little monkey
 
jim-bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: oakland, ca
Bikes:
Posts: 5,274
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTinSloth
i can't tell if you're replying to me and agreeing, or attempting to be sarcastic and derisive...but...
Oh, I was agreeing with you. I'm unreasonably amused by a framebuilder targeting the crusties-in-carrhart demographic. Maybe if some allowances get raised, we'll see a bunch of 'em parked outside gilman one of these days.
jim-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-04, 11:41 AM   #19
WakeUpOnFire
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Baltimore, MD
Bikes: 1989 trek 330 fixed gear conversion, fuji something
Posts: 363
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I somewhat agree with some of your sentiments, but I really think that to criticize this group for working or making a profit is to miss the point of their type of anarchism. Even the subject of this post and some of the responses unfairly associates a body of political/social theory with the most visible (or stereotypical) advocates of it. Circle A cycles to me seems like a very positive thing. It's a worker's collective, rather than a hierarchical company (bunch of workers do work for ****ty to moderate wages while a boss makes all the profit; ie. where everyone works) and they make decent quality bicycles. Nowhere on the site is there even any mention of punk music or culture, and I certainly don't get the idea that they're trying to "sell" the bikes with politics, I think they are just convinced that bikes are in a sense political, and fit very nicely in their worldview. A workers collective is a perfect example of anarchy in practice because it shows that a non-hierarchical system works just as well, if not better, than the heirarchical/wage-slave system we have in place now. And its not just american anarchists who have done this successfully. Check out spain in the 1930s, when peasants took over the fields and ran almost the whole country smoothly without state or corporate supervision. Or the factories in Argentina that have been occupied by workers in a collective, non-hierarchical manner, and have begun competing quite successfully with corporate factories.
Sorry, a bit of a rant I suppose.
WakeUpOnFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-04, 12:15 PM   #20
lala
contrarian
 
lala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: CO Springs
Bikes: 80's ross road bike/commuter, 80's team miyata, 90's haro mtb xtracycle conversion, koga mitaya world traveler
Posts: 2,848
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What is ya'll's opinions of the drop outs/trackends?
What's preferable and why?
lala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-04, 12:44 PM   #21
OneTinSloth
(Grouchy)
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Bikes:
Posts: 3,643
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny B
You mean like this...?

missed my second post, did you?
OneTinSloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-04, 01:34 PM   #22
OneTinSloth
(Grouchy)
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Bikes:
Posts: 3,643
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeUpOnFire
I somewhat agree with some of your sentiments, but I really think that to criticize this group for working or making a profit is to miss the point of their type of anarchism. Even the subject of this post and some of the responses unfairly associates a body of political/social theory with the most visible (or stereotypical) advocates of it. Circle A cycles to me seems like a very positive thing. It's a worker's collective, rather than a hierarchical company (bunch of workers do work for ****ty to moderate wages while a boss makes all the profit; ie. where everyone works) and they make decent quality bicycles. Nowhere on the site is there even any mention of punk music or culture, and I certainly don't get the idea that they're trying to "sell" the bikes with politics, I think they are just convinced that bikes are in a sense political, and fit very nicely in their worldview. A workers collective is a perfect example of anarchy in practice because it shows that a non-hierarchical system works just as well, if not better, than the heirarchical/wage-slave system we have in place now. And its not just american anarchists who have done this successfully. Check out spain in the 1930s, when peasants took over the fields and ran almost the whole country smoothly without state or corporate supervision. Or the factories in Argentina that have been occupied by workers in a collective, non-hierarchical manner, and have begun competing quite successfully with corporate factories.
Sorry, a bit of a rant I suppose.
i don't disagree with the way they're running their company, i think collectives are great! the thing is, they DO talk about their political beliefs on the "about anarchism" page, and even on the "about us" page, which is usually used to talk about their company image to make people want to buy their bicycles more. the two sections i quoted up there are taken from their pages. they talk about how they hate the market, and how they hate yuppies, but...how are they going to sell their bikes if not through the open, capitalist market. if they were a company like, say, vanilla, or IF, who just said "hey, here are our bikes, here's how we make them, we think they're great, buy one!" i wouldn't have a problem with it. as it stands though, that's not what they're doing. they're making a pretty radical statement about consumerism, and then perpetuating the consumer cycle anyway. that's what i have a problem with. those two statements about the market and the "commodification of life, desires, and values." by stating that on a page SELLING something...particularily something that costs a pretty good chunk of money, it just rubs me the wrong way i guess. i mean, doesn't having a nice bike put you in a different heirarchical tier than someone who doesn't (regardless of whether you agree with this notion, it IS rather true, because of what OTHER people percieve)? and doesn't that go against the idea that we're all equal...it puts value into a posession, turns it into a commodity.

i don't think there was anything about punk rock on their page either...just the anarchist stuff, which is definitely not esclusive to punk rock (although recently, in some circles, they've come to be one in the same...which is unfortunate).

here's a VERY brief interesting historical view on the anarchist movement.

blah...it just bugs me.
OneTinSloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-04, 01:43 PM   #23
jim-bob
hateful little monkey
 
jim-bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: oakland, ca
Bikes:
Posts: 5,274
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTinSloth
those two statements about the market and the "commodification of life, desires, and values." by stating that on a page SELLING something...particularily something that costs a pretty good chunk of money, it just rubs me the wrong way i guess. i mean, doesn't having a nice bike put you in a different heirarchical tier than someone who doesn't (regardless of whether you agree with this notion, it IS rather true, because of what OTHER people percieve)? and doesn't that go against the idea that we're all equal...it puts value into a posession, turns it into a commodity.
I was going to say something along those lines, too, but I couldn't find the necessary tact to not come off as an a-hole. Well done. I think the muttonmaster guy is doing a lot more in terms of making accessible bikes for a community that needs them.

There's nothing wrong with making cool bikes, I just don't like to see it backed up by inapplicable rhetoric. Then again, I'm old and grumpy.
jim-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-04, 02:10 PM   #24
pitboss
cxmagazine dot com
 
pitboss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: WI
Bikes: Titus road, Fort CX
Posts: 8,269
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim-bob
I was going to say something along those lines, too, but I couldn't find the necessary tact to not come off as an a-hole. Well done. I think the muttonmaster guy is doing a lot more in terms of making accessible bikes for a community that needs them.

There's nothing wrong with making cool bikes, I just don't like to see it backed up by inapplicable rhetoric. Then again, I'm old and grumpy.
seconded. What's next? Gorilla Biscuits Breakfast Cereal? Stiff Little Fingers mittens? You want a nice DYI company to get you a frame? F circle-A...since when is Anarchy unaffordable?
pitboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-04, 02:12 PM   #25
OneTinSloth
(Grouchy)
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Bikes:
Posts: 3,643
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim-bob
I was going to say something along those lines, too, but I couldn't find the necessary tact to not come off as an a-hole. Well done. I think the muttonmaster guy is doing a lot more in terms of making accessible bikes for a community that needs them.

There's nothing wrong with making cool bikes, I just don't like to see it backed up by inapplicable rhetoric. Then again, I'm old and grumpy.
whoa! muttonmasters sound really cool! i like the idea of making bikes for more utilitarian purposes, that's what the majority of people in the country need...i think that's what would really get more people on bikes.

hehe...i liked what you said about the kids and gilman...i was there on saturday with my girlfriend to see the fleshies...so many youngins there, who are just....there...

whoa, ad-bot's throwing up some links to gothic clothing! SWEEEET!
OneTinSloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:26 AM.