Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    frijolero cincinnatikid01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Cuernavaca, Mexico
    My Bikes
    IRO Mark V group
    Posts
    44
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Trashing dummy lever

    Im riding road drops with two levers/hoods with only one lever functioning. Im thinking about removing the dummy lever.
    Anyone have any pics of their bars with this setup? Or any thoughts about removing a dummy lever?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    886
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sounds uncomfortable.

  3. #3
    frijolero cincinnatikid01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Cuernavaca, Mexico
    My Bikes
    IRO Mark V group
    Posts
    44
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the hood will stay but without the actual lever. i dont think i'll be compromising comfort because of it

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    886
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sorry. misread your post.

    I see no problem removing the lever.

  5. #5
    :)
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    duluth
    My Bikes
    '07 Pista, '09 Fantom Cross Uno, '8? Miyata, '67 Stingray, '0? Zoo mod trials, Tallbike, Chopper, '73 Schwinn Collegiate, '67 Triumph Chopper, '69 CB350, '58 BSA Spitfire, '73 CB450
    Posts
    3,391
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like leaving the lever, I run front on right side like my motorcycle. I also like the feeling that if someone steals my bike, they will probably try getting away down the hill (live on a giant hill) and between the fixed wheel and dummy left lever, they will be in for the ride of their life

  6. #6
    ...
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    104
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ianjk View Post
    I like leaving the lever, I run front on right side like my motorcycle. I also like the feeling that if someone steals my bike, they will probably try getting away down the hill (live on a giant hill) and between the fixed wheel and dummy left lever, they will be in for the ride of their life
    LOL to the thieves!

  7. #7
    A little North of Hell
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,353
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    real dummy lever

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XXXI

  8. #8
    frijolero cincinnatikid01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Cuernavaca, Mexico
    My Bikes
    IRO Mark V group
    Posts
    44
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see that lever on the forum a lot but never seen it on a bike. and what is the point of having a "real" dummy lever? oxymoron?

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Stevens Point/Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    440
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some people do creative things with theirs, like having it activate a bell.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    135
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cincinnatikid01 View Post
    I see that lever on the forum a lot but never seen it on a bike. and what is the point of having a "real" dummy lever? oxymoron?
    Tandems.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Thetank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,031
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would leave it on. Most people won't even know you don't have a rear brake and will think better of you for having one of them "Trendy" bikes with actual brakes. You can also make that lever a dummy by locking it up so it doesn't move anymore if that's what you're looking for.

  12. #12
    Team Smartass middy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Tejas, brah!
    Posts
    461
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get a brake cable doubler and have both levers work your front brake.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Palm Beach County, Florida
    Posts
    182
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    rig the extra lever to a little helicopter rotor above your head so if you crank it real fast going downhill you can fly

  14. #14
    Hip-star jhaber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    630
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those dummy levers are really expensive the last time I checked. It was way cheaper just to buy fully functioning levers which makes no sense to me.

  15. #15
    Villainous huerro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Austin
    My Bikes
    Trek 420, Cyclops
    Posts
    1,894
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cincinnatikid01 View Post
    Im riding road drops with two levers/hoods with only one lever functioning. Im thinking about removing the dummy lever.
    Anyone have any pics of their bars with this setup? Or any thoughts about removing a dummy lever?
    Why?

    I think it would look silly and the weight savings would be negligible.

    As for alternative uses, I say rig it up for either smoke screen or oil slick.

  16. #16
    Senior Member ZiP0082's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    My Bikes
    2008 Mercier Kilo TT
    Posts
    1,703
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by notsoprojectpat View Post
    rig the extra lever to a little helicopter rotor above your head so if you crank it real fast going downhill you can fly
    +1

  17. #17
    frijolero cincinnatikid01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Cuernavaca, Mexico
    My Bikes
    IRO Mark V group
    Posts
    44
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find it ironic the day after i post this is the day i get hit by a taxi cab and surprisingly had my lever snapped off. I was really hoping to rig it for oil slick.
    I might be able to put it back on but the bolt snapped off. I'll see if a screw will work

  18. #18
    aka mattio queerpunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    5,404
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cincinnatikid01 View Post
    I find it ironic the day after i post this is the day i get hit by a taxi cab and surprisingly had my lever snapped off. I was really hoping to rig it for oil slick.
    I might be able to put it back on but the bolt snapped off. I'll see if a screw will work
    it knew you had plans for it, and it made a bitter bid for freedom.
    the hipster myth.

    i practice vagabondery.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •