Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    848
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    "Goldsprints" racing...Rollers Vs. Trainers

    So I've been looking into building my own setup like this and I have seen both Rollers with lockdown and Trainers used...Who has been on both and has a definitive opinion on it one way or another?


    Also, if anybody has experience building these setups, please, give me your insights! I need all the help I can get with this!
    Quote Originally Posted by murdaki11
    i still think you guys who like ride 5+ miles on these bikes are crazy

  2. #2
    some new kind of kick Suttree's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Smog Valley
    My Bikes
    SOMA Rush, Miyata 912, Kogswell Mod. G, want a porteur bike
    Posts
    1,541
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by iansmash View Post
    So I've been looking into building my own setup like this and I have seen both Rollers with lockdown and Trainers used...Who has been on both and has a definitive opinion on it one way or another?


    Also, if anybody has experience building these setups, please, give me your insights! I need all the help I can get with this!
    not a culture guru but I have never heard of a goldsprint on a
    trainer, if you mean this kind:

    http://www.sport-tiedje.de/minoura/h..._gr_detail.jpg

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    848
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, i saw a video from an event in Japan where they were on trainers.


    I am really interested in building a rig for goldsprints...Need help with the software end though. I can get the rollers, build the lockdown mechanism. I just need the sensors/software and figure out how to set it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by murdaki11
    i still think you guys who like ride 5+ miles on these bikes are crazy

  4. #4
    Jonnys ilegitimate Father cavernmech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    toronto
    My Bikes
    too many too list
    Posts
    2,994
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by iansmash View Post
    Yeah, i saw a video from an event in Japan where they were on trainers.


    I am really interested in building a rig for goldsprints...Need help with the software end though. I can get the rollers, build the lockdown mechanism. I just need the sensors/software and figure out how to set it up.
    2 local guys here started doing these locally a few years ago, but the name "Goldsprint" comes from a Hometrainer contest done yearly in Zurich. A brewery sponsors it and even releases a beer for the occasion. They did it as part of the CMWC's in Zurich in 1999 and now have become quite popular.

    The problem they had originally was trying to run computer sensors off small (relative to bicycle wheel diameter) rollers. The rpm's were way to fast and they couldn't get a reading. They have since refined the appropriate program and they run the sensors to a laptop. You can buy set-up's off them I believe.

    A cheaper DIY alternative would be to attach a larger diameter wheel to the outside of the rollers and use the sensors off those....that way a regular bike computer could read them. You would need risers for the rollers, but that is easier than writing a program to work....well for us less tech savvy folks anyway. Put 2 stationary cameras on the computers...run em to a big screen and away you go.
    The key to happiness is not in having more, but in developing the capacity to enjoy less.

  5. #5
    here come rome plows's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    winter park, fl
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out www.opensprints.com. They provide an outline on how to build your own setup (a little tech/ee know-how helps) and have (work-in-progress) software that interprets the results and shows the two bikes' locations on a map, etc. One of these days I'll build one myself...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •