Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-16-08, 01:34 AM   #1
bgblue1978
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
sugino crank clarification

can someone please explain the differences in the sugino crank sets. there are so many and other than the prices i dont really know the differences in the xd, rd, rd messenger, rd2 messenger(is this different than rd messenger?), 75s...

thanks

Last edited by bgblue1978; 11-16-08 at 01:40 AM.
bgblue1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-08, 09:04 AM   #2
aznsap
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i'd like to know as well. my buddy has the 75s and they feel so good.
aznsap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-08, 09:19 AM   #3
Madisonian
One-Jersey Wonder
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: The Frigid North
Bikes: 2008 Cannondale CAAD9 R5
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I third this...I was looking at the xd for a good budget-minded crankset.
Madisonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-08, 09:33 AM   #4
Thetank
Senior Member
 
Thetank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 1,031
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
XD=110BCD
RD=130BCD
75s=144BCD more expensive cause they're stronger and actually used in track racing.

RD Messenger is your basic RD cranks with a beefier chainring
RD2 Messenger is the same thing only it's sugino's new model name

As far as differences go, the XD was designed for Mt bikes, the RD for Road, the 75s are true fixed gear track cranks which is why they cost more. They're all good cranks and the only real difference is in how much you're willing to spend. I doubt anyone can tell the difference between all these sets or that one "Feels" better than another.
Thetank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-08, 12:13 PM   #5
mr_macgee
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 347
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Which ones are cold forged?
mr_macgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-08, 01:02 PM   #6
Jabba Degrassi
FNG
 
Jabba Degrassi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Toronto, ON
Bikes: 2008 IRO Angus, 2008 Jamis Exile 29er
Posts: 2,313
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thetank View Post
They're all good cranks and the only real difference is in how much you're willing to spend.
Wrong. So very, very wrong.
Jabba Degrassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-08, 01:34 PM   #7
Thetank
Senior Member
 
Thetank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 1,031
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba Degrassi View Post
Wrong. So very, very wrong.
And your contribution to this thread is . . . .???

Yes 75s are Keirin approved racing cranks and therefore are much stronger and reliable but I have yet to see someone break or ruin a set of cranks under normal operation because they generated so much torque that the require something of that quality. Anyone who isn't racing on a velodrome and buys 75s or better is doing it for the simple fact of adding unnecessary bling to their bike. . . .which is where my comment applies. Buy what you can afford and are willing to spend.
Thetank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-08, 01:44 PM   #8
Jabba Degrassi
FNG
 
Jabba Degrassi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Toronto, ON
Bikes: 2008 IRO Angus, 2008 Jamis Exile 29er
Posts: 2,313
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thetank View Post
And your contribution to this thread is . . . .???

Yes 75s are Keirin approved racing cranks and therefore are much stronger and reliable but I have yet to see someone break or ruin a set of cranks under normal operation because they generated so much torque that the require something of that quality. Anyone who isn't racing on a velodrome and buys 75s or better is doing it for the simple fact of adding unnecessary bling to their bike. . . .which is where my comment applies. Buy what you can afford and are willing to spend.
So because you've never met anyone who broke a pair of cranks under "normal" conditions, whatever that means, there is no different between them? How about the fact that RDs generate slightly offset chainlines because they are basically converted road cranks? How about the added stiffness of having a 144bcd, or for that matter, one's choice of quality chainrings in 144 vs 130 or 110 bcd? How about the fact that they're all just VASTLY DIFFERENT?

I'm not saying that these are necessarily going to be differences everyone can feel, or need, or want, but to say the only difference between XDs, RDs and 75s is the price is simply ignorant.
Jabba Degrassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-08, 02:08 PM   #9
Thetank
Senior Member
 
Thetank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 1,031
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Trying to simplify something is not ignorant. If all you know about these cranks is so important why not post what you just did now, instead of commenting with an insult. He's looking for opinions and that's what I gave him whether you wanted to go further from what I said its up to you but it really boils down to how much he's willing to spend and if he wants to spend the price of 75s when RDs do just as well.
Thetank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-08, 02:20 PM   #10
Jabba Degrassi
FNG
 
Jabba Degrassi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Toronto, ON
Bikes: 2008 IRO Angus, 2008 Jamis Exile 29er
Posts: 2,313
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddac View Post
I have my popcorn.

Jabba, if you read Tank's post again, he merely stated that the quality/feel of these cranks are basically the same under normal usage.
Well, he also said "They're all good cranks and the only real difference is in how much you're willing to spend." which is wrong, and which is the only part of his post I quoted, because it's the part I disagree with. If you take the word "real" out of there so we can avoid devolving into a "no true Scotsman" argument, it's nothing more or less than a patently false assertion.

I agree, most people won't notice much of a difference, but that doesn't mean the differences in quality aren't there to begin with.
Jabba Degrassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-08, 02:42 PM   #11
eucarya
huh?
 
eucarya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Akron, Ohio
Bikes: 95 GT Avalanche Commuter MTB, Tunturi 500r Fixed Gear Conversion, Mongoose Surge
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I thought the Sugino XD was a road double crank with the smaller ring removed by Ben's not a MTB crank?
eucarya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-08, 02:49 PM   #12
Jabba Degrassi
FNG
 
Jabba Degrassi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Toronto, ON
Bikes: 2008 IRO Angus, 2008 Jamis Exile 29er
Posts: 2,313
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eucarya View Post
I thought the Sugino XD was a road double crank with the smaller ring removed by Ben's not a MTB crank?
XD is a road triple converted to single ring, RD is the road double with a single ring. Hence the 110 bcd on the XD to accomodate 3 rings, the 130 bcd on the double to accomodate 2, and 144bcd on the 75 and other track cranks because they only need to accomodate a single, large chainring.
Jabba Degrassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-08, 03:27 PM   #13
RichPugh
Nymphomaniactionhero
 
RichPugh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Baltimore, MD
Bikes: 07' Specialized Langster Comp, 04' Bianchi Pista Concept
Posts: 496
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
XD Details:
Cold Forged crank arms
578 grams
110 bolt circle
Will accept a second chainring for use as a compact road double
Use with a 103mm square taper bottombracket



RD Details:
Forged - 6061 aluminum arms
Comes with 1/8" standard chainring. Also available w/o chainring.
130mm BCD
Use with a 103 mm square taper bottombracket for a 45mm Chainline




RD Messenger (RD2) Details:
Forged - 6061 aluminum arms
Comes with 1/8" Messenger chainring. Also available w/o chainring.
130mm BCD
Use with a 103mm square taper bottombracket for a 45mm chainline


RD/RD2/Messenger w/o Chainring (same cranks):



75 Details:
NJS
144bcd
Includes chainring bolts
Cold-Forged Aluminum Alloy for strength
Use with a 109-110mm bottombracket. Made in Japan.



75 Grand Mighty Details:
Ultra stiff Sugino Super Duralumin Alloy. NJS.
Spindle Interface Type: Square Taper JIS
Spindle Length: 109 mm
144 mm BCD
Crank/FD Type: Single Ring
Chain Compatibility: 1/2" x 1/8"
Pedal Spindle Thread: 9/16"
Made in Japan

Last edited by RichPugh; 11-16-08 at 03:38 PM.
RichPugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-08, 03:27 PM   #14
gkelley
Senior Member
 
gkelley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Eugene, Or
Bikes:
Posts: 337
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You should just get the Sugino Grand Mighty's
gkelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-08, 09:52 PM   #15
Madisonian
One-Jersey Wonder
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: The Frigid North
Bikes: 2008 Cannondale CAAD9 R5
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichPugh View Post
XD Details:
Cold Forged crank arms
578 grams
110 bolt circle
Will accept a second chainring for use as a compact road double
Use with a 103mm square taper bottombracket

RD Details:
Forged - 6061 aluminum arms
Comes with 1/8" standard chainring. Also available w/o chainring.
130mm BCD
Use with a 103 mm square taper bottombracket for a 45mm Chainline

RD Messenger (RD2) Details:
Forged - 6061 aluminum arms
Comes with 1/8" Messenger chainring. Also available w/o chainring.
130mm BCD
Use with a 103mm square taper bottombracket for a 45mm chainline


RD/RD2/Messenger w/o Chainring (same cranks):
75 Details:
NJS
144bcd
Includes chainring bolts
Cold-Forged Aluminum Alloy for strength
Use with a 109-110mm bottombracket. Made in Japan.

75 Grand Mighty Details:
Ultra stiff Sugino Super Duralumin Alloy. NJS.
Spindle Interface Type: Square Taper JIS
Spindle Length: 109 mm
144 mm BCD
Crank/FD Type: Single Ring
Chain Compatibility: 1/2" x 1/8"
Pedal Spindle Thread: 9/16"
Made in Japan




This is exactly what I was looking for...thanks for the great summary.
Madisonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-08, 10:27 PM   #16
Thatotherguy84
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thetank View Post
XD=110BCD
RD=130BCD
75s=144BCD more expensive cause they're stronger and actually used in track racing.

RD Messenger is your basic RD cranks with a beefier chainring
RD2 Messenger is the same thing only it's sugino's new model name

As far as differences go, the XD was designed for Mt bikes, the RD for Road, the 75s are true fixed gear track cranks which is why they cost more. They're all good cranks and the only real difference is in how much you're willing to spend. I doubt anyone can tell the difference between all these sets or that one "Feels" better than another.
This is probably some of the worst advice I have ever seen on this forum.

If you can honestly tell me that when you ride XD cranks and then 75s that you feel no difference at all you have no reason being on a bike.

XD cranks flex a ridiculous amount compared to 75s. That is why their is such a price difference, its not just for bling factor jackass.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-08, 10:39 PM   #17
jgedwa
surly old man
 
jgedwa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Carlisle, PA
Bikes: IRO Mark V, Karate Monkey half fat, Trek 620 IGH, Cannondale 26/24 MTB, Amp Research B3, and more.
Posts: 3,345
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You are a strong son of a b***h if you can flex any aluminum crank arm in normal use.

jim
__________________
Cross Check Nexus7, IRO Mark V, Trek 620 Nexus7, Karate Monkey half fat, IRO Model 19 fixed, Amp Research B3, Surly 1x1 half fat fixed, and more...
--------------------------
SB forever
jgedwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-08, 10:47 PM   #18
Thatotherguy84
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Side to side flex is rediculous on those XDs
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-08, 11:18 PM   #19
Thetank
Senior Member
 
Thetank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 1,031
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatotherguy84 View Post
This is probably some of the worst advice I have ever seen on this forum.

If you can honestly tell me that when you ride XD cranks and then 75s that you feel no difference at all you have no reason being on a bike.

XD cranks flex a ridiculous amount compared to 75s. That is why their is such a price difference, its not just for bling factor jackass.
HAHA, really how many bikes with XDs have you ridden? And how many with 75s? Flex will come from your frame's BB before your cranks. The difference of course is manufacturing quality but for street use there is no need for anyone to use 75s or better unless they just have the money to spend/waste.
Thetank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-08, 11:23 PM   #20
Thatotherguy84
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thetank View Post
HAHA, really how many bikes with XDs have you ridden? And how many with 75s? Flex will come from your frame's BB before your cranks. The difference of course is manufacturing quality but for street use there is no need for anyone to use 75s or better unless they just have the money to spend/waste.
Agreed if your just going to be commuting on the bike here and there then who cares, but if your putting some serious miles on the bike and want more power to go directly to the wheel use 75's over the rest.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-08, 11:55 PM   #21
Thetank
Senior Member
 
Thetank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 1,031
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
XDs and RDs are road bike cranks so how could they not be used to put some "Serious Miles" as roadies do more so than the rest who ride fixed. It has absolutely nothing to do with efficiency, it would take a very sensitive testing computer to even tell you the differences between those cranks and how efficient they are so I doubt any rider could tell the difference. Slapping a high priced crank because its NJS approved will not make you a faster rider because of your perceived improved efficiency.
Thetank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-08, 12:01 AM   #22
trons
yo yo yo yo yo
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: delaware
Bikes:
Posts: 2,518
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thetank View Post
XDs and RDs are road bike cranks so how could they not be used to put some "Serious Miles" as roadies do more so than the rest who ride fixed. It has absolutely nothing to do with efficiency, it would take a very sensitive testing computer to even tell you the differences between those cranks and how efficient they are so I doubt any rider could tell the difference. Slapping a high priced crank because its NJS approved will not make you a faster rider because of your perceived improved efficiency.
agreed. but bling counts for so much these days, you know? some people can't just go by that alone...
trons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-08, 12:53 AM   #23
mr_macgee
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 347
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_macgee View Post
Which ones are cold forged?
?????
mr_macgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-08, 02:06 AM   #24
bornagainst
Senior Member
 
bornagainst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Minneapolis!
Bikes: 2005 Surly Steamroller, 2003 Surly Pacer, 2009 Surly LHT, 2010 Surly LHT, 2007 Surly CrossCheck, 1988 Schwinn Prologue
Posts: 189
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eucarya View Post
I thought the Sugino XD was a road double crank with the smaller ring removed by Ben's not a MTB crank?
The XD started out as a mountain triple but after a few years Sugino also released a double version. The XD "Track" is just a double with one ring.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatotherguy84 View Post
This is probably some of the worst advice I have ever seen on this forum.

If you can honestly tell me that when you ride XD cranks and then 75s that you feel no difference at all you have no reason being on a bike.

XD cranks flex a ridiculous amount compared to 75s. That is why their is such a price difference, its not just for bling factor jackass.
Tell the countless number of people who tour, fully loaded, using XD's that they are riding subpar cranks with too much flex and you'll probably get your ass handed to you by people who have a right to tell you that "you have no reason being on a bike". You're right that the price difference reflects more than just the "bling factor"(although the NJS certification certainly plays a big part in it!) but it has nothing to do with the flex you speak of - the 75's go through different forging, machining, and finishing processes than the XD's. I seriously doubt you can tell the difference unless you have the Six Million Dollar Man's legs. Granted chainring flex is more likely with a 110bcd but there's another even more likely possibility -
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutret View Post
Stiffness is also a non-issue on most bikes since the frame flex will dwarf crank flex.
While, AFAIK, this hasn't actually been proven, IMO what you're blaming on the crank is most likely actually the frame flexing. Think about it. A crank arm is a pretty stout piece of metal while your frame is a thin tube, steel or whatever it may be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_macgee View Post
?????
Go back and read RichPugh's post. The XD2(the original XD was not) and 75(as well as the Grand Mighty) are cold forged while the RD is only labeled as forged, which could mean cold forged or maybe not. Why don't you go straight to the source? http://www.suginoltd.co.jp/contact_us_e.html
bornagainst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-08, 01:18 AM   #25
mr_macgee
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 347
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Why should we go to the sourse when we have you?
mr_macgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:29 AM.