Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 34

Thread: Pake?

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    399
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Pake?

    What's up?

    I posted here a while ago about getting a Soma Rush. Although I still want one badly, I might not be able to swing it financially.

    Is the Pake that bad? I have a conversion right now with some sweet Cinelli bars and a Vuelta wheel set (those are really the only honorable mentions) but my bike seems heavy as ****. I rode my friend's Pista around and it was so much lighter and easier.

    Basically, I want my bicycle lighter. Do you think if I have to go with a Pake it'll make much of a difference, or should I just tough it out and get the Soma?

    My gear ratio is 42/18, but I live in San Diego (hills galore, it sucks.)

    Lemme know what you think.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    354
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMO wait for the soma or a nice lightweight 80s frame on CL. my friends pake is heavy and has a dead feeling ride.

  3. #3
    Lif is too short durty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    My Bikes
    Cannondale Fat tube Aluminum
    Posts
    86
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my friend's paké is not the lightest bike in the crew, but no one outside of bikerworld would ever pick it up and say man this is a heavy bike.

    idk, he likes it and it has served him well for ~6 months so far.
    -durty
    So, you want a realistic, down-to-earth show... that's completely off-the-wall and swarming with magic robots?

    A Freudian slip is when you say one thing, but mean your mother.

  4. #4
    No plan. peabodypride's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    2,744
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's nothing wrong with a pake frame (or fork), but they're not great. You can do a bit better with a bit more money, or a lot better with just a tad more money than that. But if you're on a tight budget, certainly a pake is fine.

  5. #5
    666 triplesixer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Minneapolis
    My Bikes
    Raleigh 29er, IRO Angus frameset- random components, Giant Bowery, Raleigh Rush Hour frameset-future build
    Posts
    656
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    internal intussusception is the collapse of the rectum wherein the rectum does not exit the anus.
    w w w . t a r c k b i k e . c o m

  6. #6
    Ride for Life wearyourtruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    2,729
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my conversion was lighter than the pake i bought to replace it. there are nicer/lighter bikes for the money. if you want to save weight, save up for the soma or get something like the kilo tt, mark v, etc.
    before posting, a "noob" should always ask themselves "could this have been answered by first visiting Sheldon Brown

    -Tim-
    www.velocipedebikeproject.org

  7. #7
    horray for bikes! lasertotheface's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    south philly
    Posts
    238
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    pakes are straight gauged and heavy as ****. get a rush.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    perth
    My Bikes
    pake, surly pacer
    Posts
    116
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i rode one for about a year and a half. it was fine - burly, strong, reliable etc. it was never the bike slowing me down.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    399
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Woah, how about one of these?

    http://cgi.ebay.com/Old-School-Merci...QQcmdZViewItem

    I don't need the best frame. I've only been riding for 6 months and just mostly cruise around town (10-15 miles a day tops)

    These look sick though? At least better than the Pake right?

  10. #10
    Dances With Cars TRaffic Jammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    My Bikes
    TBL Onyx Pro(ss converted), Pake SS (starting to look kinda pimped)
    Posts
    10,527
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing wrong with a Paké. Yes they are heavier, but that much more bullet proof too.
    That said, your ebay deal looks pretty good.

  11. #11
    Don't Hate. Ride Among Us's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    625
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    about the kilo, you're joking, right? thats the most talked-about bike on here! yes, it would be a great alternative for you. search "kilo" on here and read for 1/2 a day.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    399
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ride Among Us View Post
    about the kilo, you're joking, right? thats the most talked-about bike on here! yes, it would be a great alternative for you. search "kilo" on here and read for 1/2 a day.
    Haha! Word. I'm on it.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Aries's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    296
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The kilo frameset from bikeisland is CERTAINLY a better value than the Pake. Not only does it come with a fork, unlike mane of the Pakes I've seen, but its slightly lighter and has a little broader color choice as well.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Deshi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Scottsdale, AZ
    My Bikes
    2009 Pake in Deep Purple, 1986 Pinarello Pista 195? Raleigh 3sp, 2003 Intense M1, 2003 Giant Yukon SS, 2010 Premium Deathtrap
    Posts
    1,587
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I built myself up a Pake in the beginning of the year and rode it all summer long with no issues. It feels great to me. Very stiff and decently light weight for the comp spec I used. I love the bike. I now alot of you here dont really like it but for the money, I cant say there is much better, given I only paid $140 or the frame and fork brand new.

    In my opinion, the Pake is a wonderful bike for the money. Affordable, reliable, solid, stiff, nuff said for me.

    Pake frame and fork
    Ritchy headset
    ITM stem
    Nitto 021 bullhorns
    Nitto seatpost
    Cheap seat
    Truvativ Ominum cranks
    Time pedals
    Formula sealed hubs
    Deep-V rims
    DT Swiss spokes
    Continintal Gator Skins 23c
    KMC Kool Lite chain 1/8"
    Dura-Ace cog and lock ring
    Cinelli carbon look bar tape
    Carbon headset spacer
    Standard tubes

    19.??Ibs

    I know not the 14/15Ib of some true track bikes but this bike is very durable.

    And im done.
    Quote Originally Posted by PedallingATX View Post
    dude...you can't "no ****" something THAT ****. That's like saying "sometimes I just like to make out with dudes...no ****"

  15. #15
    * adriano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Baltimore
    My Bikes
    http://velospace.org/node/18951
    Posts
    6,890
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deshi View Post
    I built myself up a Pake in the beginning of the year and rode it all summer long with no issues. It feels great to me. Very stiff and decently light weight for the comp spec I used. I love the bike. I now alot of you here dont really like it but for the money, I cant say there is much better, given I only paid $140 or the frame and fork brand new.

    In my opinion, the Pake is a wonderful bike for the money. Affordable, reliable, solid, stiff, nuff said for me.

    Pake frame and fork
    Ritchy headset
    ITM stem
    Nitto 021 bullhorns
    Nitto seatpost
    Cheap seat
    Truvativ Ominum cranks
    Time pedals
    Formula sealed hubs
    Deep-V rims
    DT Swiss spokes
    Continintal Gator Skins 23c
    KMC Kool Lite chain 1/8"
    Dura-Ace cog and lock ring
    Cinelli carbon look bar tape
    Carbon headset spacer
    Standard tubes

    19.??Ibs

    I know not the 14/15Ib of some true track bikes but this bike is very durable.

    And im done.
    prove it.

  16. #16
    Senior Member Deshi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Scottsdale, AZ
    My Bikes
    2009 Pake in Deep Purple, 1986 Pinarello Pista 195? Raleigh 3sp, 2003 Intense M1, 2003 Giant Yukon SS, 2010 Premium Deathtrap
    Posts
    1,587
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adriano View Post
    prove it.


    19.92Lbs with pedals, rear light, and filler bolts in fork and frame brake mounts.
    Proven
    Last edited by Deshi; 12-23-08 at 03:12 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by PedallingATX View Post
    dude...you can't "no ****" something THAT ****. That's like saying "sometimes I just like to make out with dudes...no ****"

  17. #17
    * adriano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Baltimore
    My Bikes
    http://velospace.org/node/18951
    Posts
    6,890
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deshi View Post

    Proven
    friends, country men,

    that aint bad.

  18. #18
    Senior Member Deshi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Scottsdale, AZ
    My Bikes
    2009 Pake in Deep Purple, 1986 Pinarello Pista 195? Raleigh 3sp, 2003 Intense M1, 2003 Giant Yukon SS, 2010 Premium Deathtrap
    Posts
    1,587
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adriano View Post
    friends, country men,

    that aint bad.
    Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by PedallingATX View Post
    dude...you can't "no ****" something THAT ****. That's like saying "sometimes I just like to make out with dudes...no ****"

  19. #19
    * adriano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Baltimore
    My Bikes
    http://velospace.org/node/18951
    Posts
    6,890
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deshi View Post
    Thank you.
    dont thank me, thank the carbon look bar tape and carbon spacers!

  20. #20
    Senior Member Deshi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Scottsdale, AZ
    My Bikes
    2009 Pake in Deep Purple, 1986 Pinarello Pista 195? Raleigh 3sp, 2003 Intense M1, 2003 Giant Yukon SS, 2010 Premium Deathtrap
    Posts
    1,587
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adriano View Post
    dont thank me, thank the carbon look bar tape and carbon spacers!
    I think the spacer added weight over the aluminum one that was on there before.

    Im gonna change it up here before to long. Thinking natural cork tape and a tan saddle.
    Quote Originally Posted by PedallingATX View Post
    dude...you can't "no ****" something THAT ****. That's like saying "sometimes I just like to make out with dudes...no ****"

  21. #21
    * adriano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Baltimore
    My Bikes
    http://velospace.org/node/18951
    Posts
    6,890
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deshi View Post
    I think the spacer added weight over the aluminum one that was on there before.

    Im gonna change it up here before to long. Thinking natural cork tape and a tan saddle.
    that was a light dash of sarcasm that i conveyed terribly through text.

  22. #22
    Senior Member Deshi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Scottsdale, AZ
    My Bikes
    2009 Pake in Deep Purple, 1986 Pinarello Pista 195? Raleigh 3sp, 2003 Intense M1, 2003 Giant Yukon SS, 2010 Premium Deathtrap
    Posts
    1,587
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adriano View Post
    that was a light dash of sarcasm that i conveyed terribly through text.
    Maybe so.
    Quote Originally Posted by PedallingATX View Post
    dude...you can't "no ****" something THAT ****. That's like saying "sometimes I just like to make out with dudes...no ****"

  23. #23
    Vern
    Guest
    the pake, like most frames nowadays, is fine, especially if you can get one for cheap. its not heavy compared to any other frames in its league, i mean, not in any really relevant way, and even if it were, it would hardly matter. Not that I've ever ridden one. If you're worried about the weight of the frame and the hills in san diego, it probably won't be an issue, its not that hilly really. straight gauge cro-mo is good stuff. butted is probably better,i guess,but only in a technical sense, im not really convinced that it would come through in the quality of ride. i ride a hi ten conversion in SD that probably weighs nearly 30 lbs., running 45x16, and i've never had a problem getting where i need or want to go, even over relatively long distances. I've found most inclines here are either very manageable, like washington and C st., or impassable, like B st., but there's always a way around.

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    399
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vern View Post
    the pake, like most frames nowadays, is fine, especially if you can get one for cheap. its not heavy compared to any other frames in its league, i mean, not in any really relevant way, and even if it were, it would hardly matter. Not that I've ever ridden one. If you're worried about the weight of the frame and the hills in san diego, it probably won't be an issue, its not that hilly really. straight gauge cro-mo is good stuff. butted is probably better,i guess,but only in a technical sense, im not really convinced that it would come through in the quality of ride. i ride a hi ten conversion in SD that probably weighs nearly 30 lbs., running 45x16, and i've never had a problem getting where i need or want to go, even over relatively long distances. I've found most inclines here are either very manageable, like washington and C st., or impassable, like B st., but there's always a way around.
    I'm actually thinking about just going with the Pake now.
    I mean, I'm still fairly new to riding, so I don't even really think I deserve anything nicer than a Pake right now.

    Plus, my frame right now has vertical dropouts, and is much heavier than the Pake, I'm sure.

    At the same time, I feel like I need a lighter frame at times, because I'm only 5'8" and 130 lbs.

    And all the black and white Kilo TT's sold. And I'm not trying to ride an orange bicycle or pay $175 to have it powder coated. I just happen to hate the color orange. No offense to anyone...

  25. #25
    46x17
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    seattle's catfish corner
    My Bikes
    davidson pursuit, pake' crap heap..
    Posts
    82
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if u can get the green one. better forks. i have one, along w a davidson braised pursuit bike, and a centurion conversion.. i like my pake best.

    ive had lots of bikes in the 10+yrs ive been riding (khs aero, basso, sycip, bianchi, schwinn paramount, waterford, and a cannondale), and im afraid the thin stuff like my davidson is gonna break if i actually get rough w it.

    so i ride the pake or the centurion conversion more often. i ride 57 normally, its a 51.. it's fun learning tricks on a smaller frame..

    i work for a frame builder/painter that gets LOTS of frame repairs.. he sticks his nose up at lots of chinese made stuff.. we fix airborne ti bikes and bob jacksons all day in america. even he gave the pake's durable build a nod of approval and stocked them. i have seen 4 somas and 2 salsas 1 bob jackson and some other entry level track bike.. some italian named ****e.. come in broken in the last 3 months.

    if u are gentle, get something light.. thin.. enjoy

    if u are buying it to ride like a skateboard.. pake is stupid cheap.

    raleighs are better but more $$. pista concept too.. bare knuckle is in between.. but unless u can afford them, get the pake w the lugged fork. they should only cost under 200$ if u work in a shop like mr 20lb black pake from colorado. he quoted a price that's less than wholesale.. so i dunno if u can expect that..

    i have a 650 on the ft.. so prolly plan on that.. i dont think any the bikes mentioned are 700c barspinnable 'cept for the raleigh i think.

    ok. have fun.
    WANTED1996ish khs aero track frame.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •