Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-07-09, 08:00 AM   #1
eighthinch.com
Noah from EighthInch
Thread Starter
 
eighthinch.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Bikes:
Posts: 128
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
H Plus Son rims

OK- so we decided to get some of the HplusSon rims in- like them or not. Not sure if we will re-order so if you have been waiting for them here is a link:

CLICK HERE

Also- if you have time can you help us out with a poll?

http://eighthinch.com/wordpress/?p=123
__________________
-Noah from EighthInch.com
sales@eighthinch.com
blog: http://eighthinch.wordpress.com/
eighthinch.com everthing fixed gear
Wheel & Sprocket Ebay Store road, track & tri
eighthinch.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-09, 02:43 PM   #2
devilshaircut
Senior Member
 
devilshaircut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Atlanta
Bikes: Mercier Kilo TT Pro, Schwinn Le Tour Conversion, Free Spirit polo beater, Cervelo P2T, aluminum tandem.
Posts: 1,383
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
TBH, what isn't to like about H Plus Son rims? Every taco'ed one I have seen (few) has zero explanation of why it got that way, so one has to assume the user was abusing it.
devilshaircut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-09, 03:13 PM   #3
lattanzio
bike bike bike
 
lattanzio's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: philly
Bikes: eai bareknuckle, cayne uno beater, raleigh sprite 27 conversion
Posts: 241
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i heard from a friend, who's a strong rider, that these rims will sneak into your house and murder your family.
lattanzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-09, 03:30 PM   #4
wearyourtruth
Ride for Life
 
wearyourtruth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Baltimore
Bikes:
Posts: 2,729
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i voted on your poll, but i will note that the poll asks what the most "practical" chainring is, and notes what your most popular seller is. in the world of track, tarck, fixed, fixie etc. i don't feel like the most practical is ever going to be the best seller.
wearyourtruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-09, 03:35 PM   #5
jlakser49
Kanye West
 
Join Date: May 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 140
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


another forum i am on posted this picture of what happend to their Hplusson rim after a skid stop.

from what i heard these aren't the best for fixed ridding
jlakser49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-09, 03:36 PM   #6
jlakser49
Kanye West
 
Join Date: May 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 140
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lattanzio View Post
i heard from a friend, who's a strong rider, that these rims will sneak into your house and murder your family.

oh yea and i heard this as well
jlakser49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-09, 03:39 PM   #7
devilshaircut
Senior Member
 
devilshaircut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Atlanta
Bikes: Mercier Kilo TT Pro, Schwinn Le Tour Conversion, Free Spirit polo beater, Cervelo P2T, aluminum tandem.
Posts: 1,383
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Image link broken. Also I find it hard to believe the rim taco'ed from a skid stop, considering these rims are asking to be used on a fixed gear. H Plus Son QA's their product thoroughly ... so again, I find it hard to believe it could taco from a skid stop. Real abuse, that wouldn't surprise me.
devilshaircut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-09, 03:50 PM   #8
lattanzio
bike bike bike
 
lattanzio's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: philly
Bikes: eai bareknuckle, cayne uno beater, raleigh sprite 27 conversion
Posts: 241
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
yeah ive had them for months and ridden them just about every day with no complaints... except the murder...
lattanzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-09, 03:59 PM   #9
elTwitcho
Live without dead time
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Toronto
Bikes:
Posts: 2,137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by devilshaircut View Post
Image link broken. Also I find it hard to believe the rim taco'ed from a skid stop, considering these rims are asking to be used on a fixed gear.
Word. Trading off strength for fashion pretty much makes this the wheel alot of fixed riders have been dreaming of.
elTwitcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-09, 04:04 PM   #10
jlakser49
Kanye West
 
Join Date: May 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 140
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by devilshaircut View Post
Image link broken. Also I find it hard to believe the rim taco'ed from a skid stop, considering these rims are asking to be used on a fixed gear. H Plus Son QA's their product thoroughly ... so again, I find it hard to believe it could taco from a skid stop. Real abuse, that wouldn't surprise me.

what do you mean by the image link is broken...can you not see the image or it doent link anywhere?

anyhow, i am pretty sure you are right bout this not happening from a skid stop alone. the guy who posted this does put his bike through a hell of a lot of abuse riding off curbs and banked walls etc etc. But my point is that why would you get such a nice rim if it cant hold up to the abuse. I am sure there are plenty of wheels that will hold up better than these and just because they have a deep v or a crzy deep v like the Hplusson rims doesn't have to mean they are stronger
jlakser49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-09, 04:29 PM   #11
Steve90068
Senior Member
 
Steve90068's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA
Bikes: 09' BMC Streetfire
Posts: 1,316
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i bought an H Plus rim and it started a meth lab in my basement, had a armed standoff with the police outside my house, subsequently served 8 years in federal prison and while on parole last week taco'd from a bar spin

.....sorry no pics to prove it
Steve90068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-09, 06:23 PM   #12
Copcar
plz tell me what's cool
 
Copcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Not Quite here, not quite there
Bikes: Litespeed Ibis, Schwinn Traveler III,(circa 1983),Surly Steamroller
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can you use normal tubes in these or is there some sort of extension/adapter thingy involved?

This rim is a registered sex offender...
Copcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-09, 06:24 PM   #13
BoozyMcliverRot
Senior Member
 
BoozyMcliverRot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: bradenton FL
Bikes: 06 Motobecane SS/FW, early 90's Specialized Sirrus fixie
Posts: 942
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
....
BoozyMcliverRot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-09, 06:28 PM   #14
B:H Pusher
senior tarckass
 
B:H Pusher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: east bay california
Bikes: 2001 bianchi pista/ affinity low pro
Posts: 744
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
H+Son rim took my mom out for a seafood dinner and never called her again
B:H Pusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-09, 06:30 PM   #15
jdms mvp
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: four 1 OHHH , Maryland
Bikes: nagasawa, fuji track pro
Posts: 2,812
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
i heard H+son raped his brother and is going to court soon
jdms mvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-09, 06:31 PM   #16
devilshaircut
Senior Member
 
devilshaircut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Atlanta
Bikes: Mercier Kilo TT Pro, Schwinn Le Tour Conversion, Free Spirit polo beater, Cervelo P2T, aluminum tandem.
Posts: 1,383
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elTwitcho View Post
Word. Trading off strength for fashion pretty much makes this the wheel alot of fixed riders have been dreaming of.
Okay, 1), the rim ISN'T weak. The few people I know who own these rims have had zero problems with them. Every taco'ed H Plus Son rim I've seen posted here or elsewhere ... have had zero explanation as to how they got that way. No one is going to post a picture of their taco'ed rim and say they were on their track bike doing something ridiculous. They'd just get **** on. 2), I doubt anyone has even proved if it IS weaker than a Velocity rim, because, as far as I know, no one has really done controlled tests of each. I am sure if a formal test was done, someone would have posted the results a long time ago. The fact is, both work fine for normal riding conditions (and that includes skid stops).

What IS wrong with H Plus Son rims is that they are trendy right now, and of course, since they are new, trendy, and pricey, people are gonna say they are bad. But honestly, it is expensive because it IS new. If these rims were being made in the volume and infrastructure (and that includes staff) Velocity rims are, they'd be a lot cheaper too.
devilshaircut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-09, 06:37 PM   #17
Jabba Degrassi
FNG
 
Jabba Degrassi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Toronto, ON
Bikes: 2008 IRO Angus, 2008 Jamis Exile 29er
Posts: 2,313
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by devilshaircut View Post
... considering these rims are asking to be used on a fixed gear.
Well, there's no such thing as a fixed gear rim, and H+S have been active on SS/FG as well as roadie forums. They post where people are asking question. These weren't designed to be deep-section bomb-proof wheels. There are more than enough of those out there. These are low-cost, low-weight deep section rims which would be more at home on a budget racing bike than a FG trick bike.

I think they've done just about all they can do to educate people on their product. Caveat emptor.
Jabba Degrassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-09, 06:39 PM   #18
Jabba Degrassi
FNG
 
Jabba Degrassi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Toronto, ON
Bikes: 2008 IRO Angus, 2008 Jamis Exile 29er
Posts: 2,313
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by devilshaircut View Post
I doubt anyone has even proved if it IS weaker than a Velocity rim, because, as far as I know, no one has really done controlled tests of each.
I'm not saying the rim is weak, but you don't need a controlled test to figure this out out. The H+S rims are 12mm deeper and weigh the same as a Deep-V. That's going to mean thinner side-walls, that's going to mean it's slightly weaker. Does that make it a weak rim? Not necessarily.
Jabba Degrassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-09, 06:54 PM   #19
devilshaircut
Senior Member
 
devilshaircut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Atlanta
Bikes: Mercier Kilo TT Pro, Schwinn Le Tour Conversion, Free Spirit polo beater, Cervelo P2T, aluminum tandem.
Posts: 1,383
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm not dumb, I realize there is no such thing as a fixed gear rim. That's why I phrased it the way I did, because I wanted to express the fact that this is a rim many people in the fixed gear crowd are gonna like. Why? Well, obviously it was the designer's intent. And clearly a lot of people who ride fixed gear bikes skid stop. Again, clearly the designer knew this since many of these rims lack machined sidewalls. And if the rim taco'ed from skidding? Well then clearly all that other effort was for naught. But I don't for a second believe these rims are weak enough to taco from skidding, if only because it doesn't make sense from a design standpoint.

As for your second argument, I am not saying you are wrong. I never argued they were AS strong as Velocity rims, just that they worked just as well for normal riding. But your reasoning isn't completely accurate. Shape also affects strength. I was going to type out an explanation why, but you seem like a smart guy, so I'll save my breath. Suffice it to say, which is stronger is largely irrelevant, because for everyday use, as I said before, both work fine.
devilshaircut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-09, 07:08 PM   #20
bkowa092
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pennsylvania
Bikes: Trek 3700 - Hardtail
Posts: 208
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey, did anyone hear that www.eighthinch.com carries hplusson rims now?
bkowa092 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-09, 07:11 PM   #21
devilshaircut
Senior Member
 
devilshaircut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Atlanta
Bikes: Mercier Kilo TT Pro, Schwinn Le Tour Conversion, Free Spirit polo beater, Cervelo P2T, aluminum tandem.
Posts: 1,383
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Incidentally, in that poll, I am extremely surprised more people didn't put 47t.

EDIT: To the OP - I think you should definitely do a 47t chainring. If you are going to have this stuff manufactured yourself, I think it would speak about the kind of consumer your frame (and store in general) already appears to cater to.
devilshaircut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-09, 07:15 PM   #22
Jabba Degrassi
FNG
 
Jabba Degrassi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Toronto, ON
Bikes: 2008 IRO Angus, 2008 Jamis Exile 29er
Posts: 2,313
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Agreed, I think both will be fine for your average rider. I think the trick crowd are in for a nasty surprise if they pick up these rims for reasons of fashion, but like I said, buyer beware.

You're also right about shape affecting strength. I think it's a bit simplistic of us to even talk about "strength" as some nebulous catch-all, when there are so many ways a rim can fail, and so many ways to rate strength. My personal opinion is that they are not as strong as Deep-Vs, but strong enough. Deal?

And sorry if I sounded condescending. That really wasn't my intent. I just meant to say, from what I've seen of H+S, they're not going out of their way to cater exclusively to the FG crowd. They do (did?) have a version with sidewalls. Surprisingly, they're not quite as popular.

I think we're pretty much on the same page here, I just have way of expressing myself that makes me sound like a dick.
Jabba Degrassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-09, 07:23 PM   #23
devilshaircut
Senior Member
 
devilshaircut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Atlanta
Bikes: Mercier Kilo TT Pro, Schwinn Le Tour Conversion, Free Spirit polo beater, Cervelo P2T, aluminum tandem.
Posts: 1,383
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yeah I basically agree with what you've said. In the past though it's been frustrating when people (not you) say certain trendy bike products suck without any real evidence, basing their argument on pictures without context, utter hearsay, or worse, their own aversion to things that are trendy.

I've seen so many pics of cracked Aerospokes followed by plenty of posters saying how fragile they are ... only to learn later that the wheel got RUN OVER by a car. Similarly, this has happened with H Plus Son rims.

That is as bad as people who are at the opposite end of the spectrum and choose on purely aesthetic reasons. Actually, as an industrial designer, I would argue it is worse.

Anyhow, I am rambling.

Last edited by devilshaircut; 01-07-09 at 07:27 PM.
devilshaircut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-09, 07:35 PM   #24
Jabba Degrassi
FNG
 
Jabba Degrassi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Toronto, ON
Bikes: 2008 IRO Angus, 2008 Jamis Exile 29er
Posts: 2,313
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yeah, I've seen those pics. I don't believe for a minute that was from skid.

For the record, I think H+S has a really great product on their hands. My gripe is with the fashionistas who will gravitate towards this product because they are DEEEEEEEEEP and then complain when they destroy them with 180 wheelies, NOT with H+S themselves.
Jabba Degrassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-09, 07:52 PM   #25
devilshaircut
Senior Member
 
devilshaircut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Atlanta
Bikes: Mercier Kilo TT Pro, Schwinn Le Tour Conversion, Free Spirit polo beater, Cervelo P2T, aluminum tandem.
Posts: 1,383
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Then we get to laugh at them for being dumb and not buying something more durable!
devilshaircut is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:58 AM.