Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-02-09, 09:06 PM   #1
boostaddctn
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can someone help me w/ BB spindle length please?

So I am planning on getting the FSA Vero 170 crankset from Ebay- http://cgi.ebay.com/FSA-VERO-TRACK-C...3A1%7C294%3A50 and I was wondering if anyone is able to tell me the spindle length I would need for this crank set. I emailed FSA and the only info they got was for the doubles (110.5mm) and triple (116mm) and then I ordered the ebay seller and they gave me a range from 107mm to 110mm. The spindle length choices I have are either 107mm, 110mm, or 115mm. Thanks in advance guys!
boostaddctn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-09, 12:37 AM   #2
Nightdiver
7ft of Cet-Bak
 
Nightdiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Out and about
Bikes:
Posts: 291
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Those look like road doubles to me, so if FSA recommends 110 mm, I'd probably take their recommendation.
Nightdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-09, 12:43 AM   #3
darksiderising
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Rohnert Park, CA
Bikes: Pake track, Soma DoubleCross, LeMond Etape, Maruishi RoadAce 303
Posts: 1,248
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The above poster is right, it is just a road double crank, and a relatively cheap one, at that. If you already know this, disregard this post.
darksiderising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-09, 12:46 AM   #4
boostaddctn
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by darksiderising View Post
The above poster is right, it is just a road double crank, and a relatively cheap one, at that. If you already know this, disregard this post.
All right so it seems like I'll go with the 110mm... but what makes these different from say the origin8 crankset they have at the LBS (in terms of being "cheap ones") ? thanks again for the input guys!
boostaddctn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-09, 01:17 AM   #5
Nightdiver
7ft of Cet-Bak
 
Nightdiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Out and about
Bikes:
Posts: 291
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostaddctn View Post
All right so it seems like I'll go with the 110mm... but what makes these different from say the origin8 crankset they have at the LBS (in terms of being "cheap ones") ? thanks again for the input guys!
Usually with bike parts, as the strength to weight ratio increases, so does the price (huge generalization). I don't know much about the Origin8 cranks, but it's always nice to support your LBS.

Can I ask why you're sold on the FSA ones? I'm sure they're fine and will probably work okay, but there are plenty of other options out there, especially if you're considering road doubles. You can get some really nice used cranks for the same price these FSA cranks cost. Shimano 600 comes to mind, but there are plenty of options.
Nightdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-09, 01:38 AM   #6
boostaddctn
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightdiver View Post
Usually with bike parts, as the strength to weight ratio increases, so does the price (huge generalization). I don't know much about the Origin8 cranks, but it's always nice to support your LBS.

Can I ask why you're sold on the FSA ones? I'm sure they're fine and will probably work okay, but there are plenty of other options out there, especially if you're considering road doubles. You can get some really nice used cranks for the same price these FSA cranks cost. Shimano 600 comes to mind, but there are plenty of options.
Not to sure why I am sold on the FSA ones... I figure FSA is a good company and these cranks should also be good? and plus the LBS keeps running out of the Origin8 and I really like to support them... but at the moment I'm just looking for something I can get ASAP... thanks
boostaddctn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-09, 10:02 PM   #7
jakerock
helmet brake
 
jakerock's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Brooklyn
Bikes: Kilo TT
Posts: 625
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Any reason NOT to get these... bike island has them for cheap!
I have had a looks around on c.list / ebay / online shops and I dont see anything "better" for $40...
What am I not thinking of here???
Thanks, Jake
jakerock is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:59 PM.