Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    My Bikes
    2001 Bianchi Eros, 1976 Orbea conversion
    Posts
    159
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Shredded a tire in ~25mi/3 days..?

    My ratio is 46/16..

    I'm an ambidextrous skidder on over the bars skids... But hop skids I can only do one side.

    I just ripped completely through a Seca Comp 700x23 145psi rear tire. Any ideas? It was properly inflated and I wasn't skidding on rough pavement.

  2. #2
    Live without dead time
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    2,137
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're running a clincher at 145 PSI on the street, it's not properly inflated and that might have something to do with it.
    Rich

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    My Bikes
    2001 Bianchi Eros, 1976 Orbea conversion
    Posts
    159
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Explain?

    I'm new to this whole tire business..

  4. #4
    Live without dead time
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    2,137
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yaktizzle417 View Post
    Explain?

    I'm new to this whole tire business..
    Generally speaking, there's no reason to inflate a clincher to 145 PSI on the road. You're more liable to get a puncture, you'll bounce off obstacles and therefore have less traction, and you're liable to blow the tire off the rim.

    Work out a rough estimate of your ideal inflation pressure from this chart



    Start from there and play around a bit to see what you like best. I weigh about 175 and run 100 in the front and 110 in the rear on 23s which I have had good luck with.
    Rich

  5. #5
    Old fart JohnDThompson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Appleton WI
    My Bikes
    Several, mostly not name brands.
    Posts
    12,236
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yaktizzle417 View Post
    My ratio is 46/16..

    I'm an ambidextrous skidder on over the bars skids... But hop skids I can only do one side.

    I just ripped completely through a Seca Comp 700x23 145psi rear tire. Any ideas? It was properly inflated and I wasn't skidding on rough pavement.
    Lay off the skids and you'll find your tires will last a whole lot longer...

  6. #6
    niteridar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    sfbay area
    My Bikes
    giant fixed gear and a cannondale road bike
    Posts
    205
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ....i didnt know tires could inflate up to 145 psi...

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    563
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are track tubulars that can be pumped to 220 psi.

  8. #8
    Senior Member rduenas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    718
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The highest I've ever gone on a 23c is maybe 110psi.

    The Seca Comp is a pretty lightweight, thin tire. Thin tires shred more easily and don't last as long as a thicker tire.

  9. #9
    Raving looney
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    My Bikes
    70s Leader Precision w/Shimano 600 (road), IRO Rob Roy (Fixed)
    Posts
    2,486
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Skidding will rip the crap out of a tyre given the chance, I run my pressures at around 100-110 and I'm ~175lbs, nothing spectacular. I ripped through my first back tyre in around 500 miles, which I thought was fast (great tyre just not great for skidding - I still have the matching front tyre running... 6550 miles and still going strong.)

    25 miles is.... real quick - were you skidding the hell out of it down hills all day?

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Van BC
    Posts
    3,741
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, that chart makes me feel like a fat ****.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Athens, Ohio
    My Bikes
    Fuji Track, Half built 70s Azuki
    Posts
    1,568
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnDThompson View Post
    Lay off the skids and you'll find your tires will last a whole lot longer...
    the young kids these days just don't understand.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    My Bikes
    2001 Bianchi Eros, 1976 Orbea conversion
    Posts
    159
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the chart. Where were you $31 ago =[

    /moron

  13. #13
    Senior Member Thetank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,031
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by soul05 View Post
    ....i didnt know tires could inflate up to 145 psi...
    A lot of ignorance and misinformation on this thread about tires.

    This is the tire he's using, recommended PSI is 145
    http://ddbicyclesandfitness.com/item...fm?LibId=41417

    A list of tires with 145-150 PSI ratings
    http://www.coloradocyclist.com/product/display/25110/10

    So YES you can inflate a clincher to 145 PSI if the manufacturer says to do so. Chances are you ran through the tire that fast doing skids because a tire running that high psi offers lower resistance and is usually considered a "Race" tire, lightweight which means less rubber to burn through since you're more likely to change your race tires more often than your training tires.

  14. #14
    Live without dead time
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    2,137
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thetank View Post
    A lot of ignorance and misinformation on this thread about tires.

    This is the tire he's using, recommended PSI is 145
    http://ddbicyclesandfitness.com/item...fm?LibId=41417

    A list of tires with 145-150 PSI ratings
    http://www.coloradocyclist.com/product/display/25110/10

    So YES you can inflate a clincher to 145 PSI if the manufacturer says to do so. Chances are you ran through the tire that fast doing skids because a tire running that high psi offers lower resistance and is usually considered a "Race" tire, lightweight which means less rubber to burn through since you're more likely to change your race tires more often than your training tires.
    A tires maximum rating is not it's recommended pressure. Running a 23c at 145 PSI will provide the same terrible ride characteristics (namely, 145PSI of pressure underneath you) on the street regardless of what the sidewall says.

    The track (surface known not to have irregularities or stones or debris) is a different story, but he's not riding on the track.
    Rich

  15. #15
    aka mattio queerpunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    5,381
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Skidding less will make you a better rider.
    the hipster myth.

    i practice vagabondery.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    My Bikes
    2001 Bianchi Eros, 1976 Orbea conversion
    Posts
    159
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was self teaching myself hop skids and competed in a skid contest..

    Forgot to mention that bit. Mostly all on semi-rough blacktop.

  17. #17
    Senior Member Thetank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,031
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elTwitcho View Post
    A tires maximum rating is not it's recommended pressure. Running a 23c at 145 PSI will provide the same terrible ride characteristics (namely, 145PSI of pressure underneath you) on the street regardless of what the sidewall says.

    The track (surface known not to have irregularities or stones or debris) is a different story, but he's not riding on the track.
    Look at the very chart you posted, assume the rider weighs 180+ lbs. What then?
    There's a reason they stamp the PSI rating on a tire, its not a suggestion its what the manufacturer wants you to use to prevent damage to the tire itself and to prevent pinch flats. Just because most road tires, clinchers I would say, have a 110-120 max psi doesn't mean that a 150 PSI max tire needs to run at 110-120 just because others do.

  18. #18
    . bbattle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Huntsville, Alabama
    My Bikes
    2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Trevisio, 1991 Colnago Master, '06 Bianchi San Jose, 1987 Moulton Fuso, '80's Gardin Shred?, '82 John Howard(Dave Tesch)
    Posts
    11,510
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That 150psi is just an indication of the strength of the tire, not what pressure you should be running it. It's also a bit of marketing one-upmanship. At pressures higher than 110-120 on the road, the tire actually loses traction. You need the tire to deflect somewhat so that it gets some contact with the road. If the road is chipseal or some other rough surface, you should drop the pressure a bit more.

    The faster you ride, and the more descents you have(especially curvy ones), the more you need to pay attention to this. The quality of the tire is more important in these cases, too.

    You don't want your pressure to be too low; that causes a lot of pinch flats, too. More flats are caused by under-inflation than over.

  19. #19
    Senior Member 1fluffhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    baltimore
    My Bikes
    Pake Track; Bianchi XL EV2 El Reparto Corse, Kona Jake the Snake
    Posts
    1,663
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe consider a gearing with more skid patches? You have 8 now, 16 if you are ambidextrous skidding all the time. Go to 17T in the back and you will have 34 patches when you are skidding ambidextrously. It will help the tire to wear a little more evenly and last longer.

    If you are going to be tearing through tires like this you should also make friends with the LBS and ask for their old tires that they switch out for new ones for customers. Usually they will give them away or sell them to you real cheap.
    Quote Originally Posted by diff_lock2 View Post
    so what if it's custom, are you suddenly NOT a jackass?

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    My Bikes
    2001 Bianchi Eros, 1976 Orbea conversion
    Posts
    159
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah thats what I've been doing. Except things are hella slow right now due to the weather. When spring picks up, I'll be dialed.

    17t is a possibility when I get paid next. I've been thinking about going to a little lower gear due to the insane wind.

  21. #21
    Primate Metzinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    gone
    My Bikes
    Concorde Columbus SL, Rocky Mountain Edge, Sparta stadfiets
    Posts
    2,582
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even if your tire can accept 150 psi. Why the heck would you want to?
    Worse handling, worse traction, shorter tire life, loosened molar fillings...

    Maybe if you've got a glass surfaced velodrome in your back yard.

    I suppose Thetank runs 65 psi in his mountain bike tires too.

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    472
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    front brake? My tires last years... $7 brake pads < $31 tire.

  23. #23
    Lifer vegipowrd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    250
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yaktizzle417 View Post
    Yeah thats what I've been doing. Except things are hella slow right now due to the weather. When spring picks up, I'll be dialed.

    17t is a possibility when I get paid next. I've been thinking about going to a little lower gear due to the insane wind.
    A new cog is cheaper than a new tire.
    Just sayin'.

    That does totally suck. A few weeks ago I hit a nail with a days-old tire. Guess I shouldn't explore construction sites at night, huh.

  24. #24
    Utilitarian Boy Gyeswho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Bronx, NY
    My Bikes
    Check the sig to find out
    Posts
    3,235
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mander View Post
    Wow, that chart makes me feel like a fat ****.
    don't worry, I'm above the scale with you

  25. #25
    Senior Member Thetank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,031
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Metzinger View Post
    Even if your tire can accept 150 psi. Why the heck would you want to?
    Worse handling, worse traction, shorter tire life, loosened molar fillings...

    Maybe if you've got a glass surfaced velodrome in your back yard.

    I suppose Thetank runs 65 psi in his mountain bike tires too.

    HA! I don't own a Mt. Bike!


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •