Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Singlespeed & Fixed Gear (http://www.bikeforums.net/singlespeed-fixed-gear/)
-   -   Surly Steamroller Photo Superthread!!! (http://www.bikeforums.net/singlespeed-fixed-gear/517072-surly-steamroller-photo-superthread.html)

Thetank 04-12-09 02:21 PM

Thanks to those who posted pics of the black frame, I wanted to make sure if it was a glossy black or a flat black, looks pretty nice but I'm not sure if the cream is a better color.

Jquest 04-12-09 07:40 PM

Here's the picture of my steed. Took me a while to finally get up. I built it from Scratch. Found the frame on Ebay and went from there.



http://www.geocities.com/jquest2010/steed.JPG

mrgrizzler 04-14-09 01:30 PM

crummy phone picture:
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...luxe/photo.jpg

PedallingATX 04-14-09 01:40 PM

i like the black and red one, but here is my beef:

I personally don't like machined front/non-machined rear. I think it just takes away from the beautiful symmetry that is a bicycle. If they were both machined, it would look better IMO. Other than that, I love it. Plus bullhorns tilted up looks kinda bad, IMO

The creamroller looks sweet. I would prolly get leather wrap grips on there to match the saddle, though. Ugh I want a steamroller!!

That maroon one with white tires/seat/bars looks sooo good. I want to replicate it!

Gyeswho 04-14-09 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PedallingATX (Post 8729758)
i like the black and red one, but here is my beef:

I personally don't like machined front/non-machined rear. I think it just takes away from the beautiful symmetry that is a bicycle. If they were both machined, it would look better IMO. Other than that, I love it. Plus bullhorns tilted up looks kinda bad, IMO

The creamroller looks sweet. I would prolly get leather wrap grips on there to match the saddle, though. Ugh I want a steamroller!!

That maroon one with white tires/seat/bars looks sooo good. I want to replicate it!

while this is so very true, he has his priorities right and knows that a machined surface gives better braking. Function over fashion always reigns!:thumb:

brendon_ak 04-14-09 02:03 PM

I actually find the machined braking surface distracting. I wonder why we don't have anodized machined surfaces so we can have an even colored rim?

The Giant Bowery 84 has machined surfaces, and they are anodized giving the braking surface color, thus making the rim funcitonal, and fashionable

lubes17319 04-14-09 02:59 PM

With its tough-guy sibling.....
http://img378.imageshack.us/img378/1...twinsimg06.jpg
In dirty mode....
http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/7018/img5602ch8.jpg

PedallingATX 04-14-09 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gyeswho (Post 8729833)
while this is so very true, he has his priorities right and knows that a machined surface gives better braking. Function over fashion always reigns!:thumb:

Yep, I agree, function over fashion. Which is why I have machined side wall celeste Deep Vs. I got them both machined, though, because it just didn't look symmetrical to have the rear one non-machined and the front one machined.

PedallingATX 04-14-09 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brendon_ak (Post 8729929)
I actually find the machined braking surface distracting. I wonder why we don't have anodized machined surfaces so we can have an even colored rim?

The Giant Bowery 84 has machined surfaces, and they are anodized giving the braking surface color, thus making the rim funcitonal, and fashionable

Any anodized rim can be braked on. Common color Deep Vs are anodized- blue, black, red, etc. Different colored ones (neon green, celeste, etc) are powder coated. If your rim is anodized, you can brake on it. If it's powdercoated, you need to have it machined. And yes, it's not as pretty as non-machined, but it is functional and I think it is best to have them both machined at any rate. Having one machined and the other Non-machined is even more distracting, IMO Of course all of this is, undoubtedly, IMO.

Jquest 04-15-09 09:16 AM

Quote:

PedallingATX i like the black and red one, but here is my beef:

I personally don't like machined front/non-machined rear. I think it just takes away from the beautiful symmetry that is a bicycle. If they were both machined, it would look better IMO. Other than that, I love it. Plus bullhorns tilted up looks kinda bad, IMO
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gyeswho (Post 8729833)
while this is so very true, he has his priorities right and knows that a machined surface gives better braking. Function over fashion always reigns!:thumb:

Thanks for the critique. I don't take it personally. There are a bunch of other Surlys that have a much nicer look than mines. It's machined in the front cause I live in Miami. No body respects bikes down here ,so my head is on a swivel when I ride and I feel more secure with the brake on the front. But now that you mention it...yeah, I guess both machined would of looked nicer. Oh well...
As far as the bars....I tried riding them level , but my wrist were still tilted too far forward. After a while of biking it starts to get a little bothersome on the joints, so I adjusted them to where my wrist would feel comfortable like the way I would hold a can of soda if I was drinking it. I can ride like that all day long. On weekends I might bike 25 miles on my fixie.

:thumb:

jpdesjar 04-15-09 09:22 AM

i like the dirty one

lubes17319 04-15-09 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by croscoe

anyone have an idea what bars those are?
Tried normal drops, FuBars, Major Taylors, flatish mustaches, but I keep going back to my risers-almost exact same position as my KM.

RichPugh 04-15-09 10:39 PM

this thing is badass!

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...om/steam13.jpg

axcxnj 04-16-09 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lubes17319 (Post 8740120)
anyone have an idea what bars those are?
Tried normal drops, FuBars, Major Taylors, flatish mustaches, but I keep going back to my risers-almost exact same position as my KM.

those look like on-one midge bars, or origin 8 gary bars

cord13 04-16-09 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichPugh (Post 8740379)


what stem is that?

poorbadger 04-16-09 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cord13 (Post 8743099)
what stem is that?

Azonic?

Just a guess.

Either way, I like their platform pedals for MTB.

mrgrizzler 04-17-09 11:21 PM

non camera phone image. two thumbs up to the steamroller so far!
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3368/...2f7c76b4_o.jpg

onetwentyeight 04-18-09 10:09 AM

built for a customer through the shop i work at.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3635/...7fc62a5c_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3605/...e08690.jpg?v=0

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3310/...6f4442.jpg?v=0

PedallingATX 04-18-09 11:07 AM

that's really nice.. mmm phil wood hubs

admrwe 04-18-09 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cord13 (Post 8743099)
what stem is that?

that is a powertools stem

admrwe 04-18-09 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrgrizzler (Post 8753149)
non camera phone image. two thumbs up to the steamroller so far!
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3368/...2f7c76b4_o.jpg

nice, i dig the three pink links in the chain

mrgrizzler 04-18-09 01:51 PM

thanks! first link was to replace a bent sideplate, other two were because it was too short....

JaredG 04-19-09 12:06 PM

http://jaredgrellner.com/wordpress/w...mstick_web.jpg

PedallingATX 04-19-09 01:35 PM

ha nice! That gives me hope! I was wondering what I was gonna do with all of my celeste stuff whenever I get rid of the conversion. Looks good on that bike, though!

Enxu 04-19-09 04:58 PM

I'm a bit late on this, but where'd you get the japanese/chinese/kanji stickers? Were you able to get them custom made?


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:58 AM.