Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-10-09, 03:38 PM   #1
fuggers
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
fuggers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 191
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Removing anodizing from Deep V's

First of all, I searched. I searched a lot. The search engine was really fighting me today.

Is removing the anodized color from deep v's a good idea? I remember reading that the product used to do this would potential harm the rim.

Follow up question, does Velocity anodize all their colors now? How can I tell?

Thanks and if someone can successfully use the search to find the answer I will mail them a cookie.
A healthy, cranberry oatmeal cookie
fuggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-09, 04:58 PM   #2
kookookachooo
lix my Fixed
 
kookookachooo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sacramento, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Get new deep V's..?
kookookachooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-09, 05:07 PM   #3
4doorhoor
misanthropist
 
4doorhoor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Shanghai OR
Bikes:
Posts: 472
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Easy Off oven cleaner!
4doorhoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-09, 05:16 PM   #4
xxxfattonyxxx
What?
 
xxxfattonyxxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Idaho Falls, ID
Bikes: State Contender
Posts: 168
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sell yours and buy new ones. What color are they?
xxxfattonyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-09, 09:16 PM   #5
jsource
Senior Member
 
jsource's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Austin, Texas
Bikes:
Posts: 176
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxfattonyxxx View Post
Sell yours and buy new ones. What color are they?
To my knowledge, only black, silver ano, green ano, and gold are anodized.

the rest are powdercoated.

the information is on their website i believe
jsource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-09, 09:18 PM   #6
peabodypride
No plan.
 
peabodypride's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: PA
Bikes:
Posts: 2,744
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
peabodypride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-09, 09:19 PM   #7
peabodypride
No plan.
 
peabodypride's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: PA
Bikes:
Posts: 2,744
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If they're one of the listed anodized colors, oven cleaner will work. Otherwise they'll need to be sandblasted, at which point swapping them on CL will be cheaper and easier.
peabodypride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-09, 09:28 PM   #8
ianjk
:)
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: duluth
Bikes: '07 Pista, '09 Fantom Cross Uno, '8? Miyata, '67 Stingray, '0? Zoo mod trials, Tallbike, Chopper, '73 Schwinn Collegiate, '67 Triumph Chopper, '69 CB350, '58 BSA Spitfire, '73 CB450
Posts: 3,392
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
sandblasting????? uh, how about reversing the electro-plating process?
ianjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-09, 09:32 PM   #9
peabodypride
No plan.
 
peabodypride's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: PA
Bikes:
Posts: 2,744
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianjk View Post
sandblasting????? uh, how about reversing the electro-plating process?
If it's not anodized, it's powdercoated. Good luck "reversing the electroplating process" with that one.
peabodypride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-09, 09:38 PM   #10
fuggers
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
fuggers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 191
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sounds like swapping them would be easier.
fuggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-09, 10:52 PM   #11
Blacksail
Senior Member
 
Blacksail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 210
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do not sandblast.

Oven cleaner will remove the anodization.
Blacksail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-09, 12:02 AM   #12
ianjk
:)
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: duluth
Bikes: '07 Pista, '09 Fantom Cross Uno, '8? Miyata, '67 Stingray, '0? Zoo mod trials, Tallbike, Chopper, '73 Schwinn Collegiate, '67 Triumph Chopper, '69 CB350, '58 BSA Spitfire, '73 CB450
Posts: 3,392
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by peabodypride View Post
If it's not anodized, it's powdercoated. Good luck "reversing the electroplating process" with that one.
Every time I've sandblasted something (old car/truck frames, motorcycle frames/gas tanks) it has left an almost pitted/porous surface (ie. harm to parent material)... that is on steel, would imagine that a softer metal like aluminum would be even worse.

As for removing the anodizing via reverse electrolysis, I've heard it works.

Also, I found (via interwebz) that a "dilute aqueous solution of phosphoric and chromic acid" will remove the anodizing without harming parent material... but you need to be an excellent chemist to do it without killing yourself.
ianjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-09, 12:19 AM   #13
bnhoang86
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 148
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
....Yeah. Just trade em straight up. Much easier.
bnhoang86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-09, 01:11 AM   #14
fuggers
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
fuggers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 191
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Not much of a market locally for deep v's so it may be hard to trade them. Yet
Is there anyway for me to tell if it's PC'd or anodized?
fuggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-09, 04:04 AM   #15
comptechgsr
scraper bikes
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NYC and SF Bay Area
Bikes: eddy mercxier kilo tt
Posts: 185
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
anyone have pics of Gold anodized V's that have been DE-anodized?
does it just look like polished V's?
comptechgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-09, 10:18 AM   #16
peabodypride
No plan.
 
peabodypride's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: PA
Bikes:
Posts: 2,744
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianjk View Post
Every time I've sandblasted something (old car/truck frames, motorcycle frames/gas tanks) it has left an almost pitted/porous surface (ie. harm to parent material)... that is on steel, would imagine that a softer metal like aluminum would be even worse.

As for removing the anodizing via reverse electrolysis, I've heard it works.

Also, I found (via interwebz) that a "dilute aqueous solution of phosphoric and chromic acid" will remove the anodizing without harming parent material... but you need to be an excellent chemist to do it without killing yourself.
I know we're getting pedantic here, and we probably both agree that swapping them is a lot easier, but I should have said media blast, not sandblast. You can strip aluminum with glass beads or nut shells just fine.
peabodypride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-09, 03:50 PM   #17
ianjk
:)
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: duluth
Bikes: '07 Pista, '09 Fantom Cross Uno, '8? Miyata, '67 Stingray, '0? Zoo mod trials, Tallbike, Chopper, '73 Schwinn Collegiate, '67 Triumph Chopper, '69 CB350, '58 BSA Spitfire, '73 CB450
Posts: 3,392
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by peabodypride View Post
I know we're getting pedantic here, and we probably both agree that swapping them is a lot easier, but I should have said media blast, not sandblast. You can strip aluminum with glass beads or nut shells just fine.
yeah, I was really crabby yesterday... sitting at home in my office looking at a blizzard out the window all day, wishing I was out skiing/snowshoeing/causing trouble instead of working.
ianjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-09, 06:11 PM   #18
muckymucky
on Baby Charlie Concept~
 
muckymucky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Bay'yayay
Bikes:
Posts: 1,647
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
when under the sun,

Ano = matte (not much light reflection)
Powdercoat = shiny

right?

im currently working on mirror finish polishing my silver ano'ed aluminum, after oven cleaner, it needed MORE oven cleaner(layers are thicker than i thought). i should have soaked it instead of sprayed but i couldnt find a big enough container~ now im just sanding the ano'ed alu off and its working so far. my next step is sanding with the range of grits of sandpaper (200 to hopefully 1000+). then mother's alu polish! <3

Last edited by muckymucky; 03-11-09 at 06:14 PM.
muckymucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-09, 01:32 AM   #19
adriano 
*
 
adriano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Baltimore
Bikes: http://velospace.org/node/18951
Posts: 6,879
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by muckymucky View Post
when under the sun,

Ano = matte (not much light reflection)
Powdercoat = shiny

right?

im currently working on mirror finish polishing my silver ano'ed aluminum, after oven cleaner, it needed MORE oven cleaner(layers are thicker than i thought). i should have soaked it instead of sprayed but i couldnt find a big enough container~ now im just sanding the ano'ed alu off and its working so far. my next step is sanding with the range of grits of sandpaper (200 to hopefully 1000+). then mother's alu polish! <3
if you put the time in, they are going to look fantastic.
adriano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-09, 12:42 PM   #20
muckymucky
on Baby Charlie Concept~
 
muckymucky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Bay'yayay
Bikes:
Posts: 1,647
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriano View Post
if you put the time in, they are going to look fantastic.
yea i hope so. i just finished doing 400 grit on the sand paper and i put on a little bit of mother's alu polish on, already refects like an ancient mirror~ im so excited to see the results when i finish doing the 1200 grit~
muckymucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-09, 03:09 PM   #21
Batavus
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Netherlands
Bikes: Wabi Lightning, fixed 13.6 pounds. Cera steel road bike Campy veloce 9s
Posts: 521
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here's mine after 600, 1000 and 2000 grit and Commandant 4 polish. Picture does not do it justice. Mind you, I ordered a set of 'raw' deep V's, that is, taken off the production line before anodizing or powdercoat. So it saved me doing the deanodizing. I did that once to a MTB rim to polish it and I dropped it in a bath of warm water and drain cleaner granules. Nasty stuff, but it does the job way faster than oven cleaner. You will not get all the anodizing off with just the drain cleaner/oven cleaner, you will still have to sand some of it off.

Batavus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-09, 04:48 PM   #22
adriano 
*
 
adriano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Baltimore
Bikes: http://velospace.org/node/18951
Posts: 6,879
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batavus View Post
Here's mine after 600, 1000 and 2000 grit and Commandant 4 polish. Picture does not do it justice. Mind you, I ordered a set of 'raw' deep V's, that is, taken off the production line before anodizing or powdercoat. So it saved me doing the deanodizing. I did that once to a MTB rim to polish it and I dropped it in a bath of warm water and drain cleaner granules. Nasty stuff, but it does the job way faster than oven cleaner. You will not get all the anodizing off with just the drain cleaner/oven cleaner, you will still have to sand some of it off.

that. is fantastic.
adriano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-09, 05:47 PM   #23
chase.
out of shape
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: va
Bikes:
Posts: 1,456
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
batavus: i take it you spoke directly to your velocity rep?
chase. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-09, 11:36 PM   #24
muckymucky
on Baby Charlie Concept~
 
muckymucky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Bay'yayay
Bikes:
Posts: 1,647
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
@Batavus

dang that looks sooooo good! got any pictures from the side? as in a whole bike view?

how long did that take you? what kinda equipment did you use to sand? im at 1500 now and i just figured out that i need to wet sand by hand but dont know how to hold the sand paper because before i just did a drill + drum~
muckymucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-09, 12:07 AM   #25
ADSR
Gentlemen.
 
ADSR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Chico, CA
Bikes: S-Works e5 Aerotech with 2009 Veloce and a Fulcrum 5s
Posts: 1,517
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Semi-derail: what are you guys using to keep aluminum shiny? I'm thinking my spring break project is going to be putting a mirror shine on my stem, cranks, etc. and I'm hoping I can hold off clouding for a while between polishings. Any clear coats, polishes, potions or incantations I should check out?
ADSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:20 PM.