Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-16-04, 05:22 PM   #1
terrapin04
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
terrapin04's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Minneapolis
Bikes: 1998 Huffy 18 speed
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Looking for older track frame

Looking for an older track frame to build up my first fixie. This frame of course, doesn't need to be in the best shape. Any insight or direction would be great. I also live in Minneapolis, if anyone knows of used bike shops, etc. that might have what I'm looking for. Thanks, and have a good one
terrapin04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-04, 08:35 PM   #2
legalize_it
legalize bikes
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: bucks county, PA
Bikes: too damn many
Posts: 1,250
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
are you specifically searching for a track frame? any older road frame with horiz dropouts will do, and will be more comfortable for commuting than a true track frame.
legalize_it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-04, 09:27 PM   #3
terrapin04
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
terrapin04's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Minneapolis
Bikes: 1998 Huffy 18 speed
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalize_it
are you specifically searching for a track frame? any older road frame with horiz dropouts will do, and will be more comfortable for commuting than a true track frame.

I am looking for a true track frame, however one that isn't entirely aggressive in build. Ideally, I'd like to get something that needs repainting, sanding, etc...to put new life into it.
terrapin04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-04, 01:02 AM   #4
OneTinSloth
(Grouchy)
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Bikes:
Posts: 3,643
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
what size?
OneTinSloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-04, 05:04 AM   #5
terrapin04
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
terrapin04's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Minneapolis
Bikes: 1998 Huffy 18 speed
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTinSloth
what size?
55-57
terrapin04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-04, 12:28 PM   #6
OneTinSloth
(Grouchy)
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Bikes:
Posts: 3,643
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hmm...unfortunately, many other people are also looking for old track frames...especially in those sizes. the best thing i can suggest would be ebay, or craigslist and be patient. or if there's a local bike co-op-type thing, hang out there and maybe eventually, you'll hear about something.

good luck!
OneTinSloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-04, 05:06 PM   #7
terrapin04
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
terrapin04's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Minneapolis
Bikes: 1998 Huffy 18 speed
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTinSloth
hmm...unfortunately, many other people are also looking for old track frames...especially in those sizes. the best thing i can suggest would be ebay, or craigslist and be patient. or if there's a local bike co-op-type thing, hang out there and maybe eventually, you'll hear about something.

good luck!

Many thanks for the sound advice from both of you. Think I might start hitting the thrift stores and just find an old road bike to work on for my first time fixie build up experience, unless of course someone sees this post prior...Thanks again, and have a good one
terrapin04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-04, 05:18 PM   #8
halfspeed
Senior Member
 
halfspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: SE Minnesota
Bikes: are better than yours.
Posts: 12,276
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapin04
Many thanks for the sound advice from both of you. Think I might start hitting the thrift stores and just find an old road bike to work on for my first time fixie build up experience, unless of course someone sees this post prior...Thanks again, and have a good one
You're in Minneapolis? Check out One on One Studios, the Sibley Depot and maybe the HUB co-op. If you go to One on One, ask for the junkyard tour.

You might not find a track bike but a road bike shouldn't be too hard. Most of the old road bikes are Schwinn Varsities, but if you dig you'll run into something better.
halfspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-04, 05:46 PM   #9
terrapin04
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
terrapin04's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Minneapolis
Bikes: 1998 Huffy 18 speed
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfspeed
You're in Minneapolis? Check out One on One Studios, the Sibley Depot and maybe the HUB co-op. If you go to One on One, ask for the junkyard tour.

You might not find a track bike but a road bike shouldn't be too hard. Most of the old road bikes are Schwinn Varsities, but if you dig you'll run into something better.

Right on man, I appreciate the local insight and will be hitting "one on one" tomorrow. Thanks again man.
terrapin04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-04, 06:42 PM   #10
terrapin04
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
terrapin04's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Minneapolis
Bikes: 1998 Huffy 18 speed
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks again Halfspeed for the advice. I stopped by one on one today and found a Guerciotti Milano track frame amongst the treasures in the basement. Anyone have any info on this frame, or advice on components to use?
terrapin04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-04, 07:13 PM   #11
pitboss
cxmagazine dot com
 
pitboss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: WI
Bikes: Titus road, Fort CX
Posts: 8,269
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nice find! Price you paid?
have an LBS check it for alignment. rechrome/repaint the frame.
Is this street or velodrome bound?
pitboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-04, 07:19 PM   #12
terrapin04
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
terrapin04's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Minneapolis
Bikes: 1998 Huffy 18 speed
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Paid 20 bucks, however I do need to have a hairline crack brazed (I can hear the shudders now) which will probably cost 30 dollars, but I really do think I can bring it back to life...and for my first fixie, I'm quite excited....this will be a street bike, straight up....hopefully I can find more deals such as this on subsequent parts
terrapin04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-04, 11:25 PM   #13
halfspeed
Senior Member
 
halfspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: SE Minnesota
Bikes: are better than yours.
Posts: 12,276
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapin04
Thanks again Halfspeed for the advice. I stopped by one on one today and found a Guerciotti Milano track frame amongst the treasures in the basement. Anyone have any info on this frame, or advice on components to use?
Cool! Where else can you go that sells espresso, new Bianchis and has a basement full of cool junk where you might find a DeRosa or Waterford frame next to the pile of Varsities? The only thing with a motor that I've really lusted after in a long time is that Bianchi motorcycle in front.
halfspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:30 AM.