Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-28-09, 09:03 PM   #1
SoreFeet
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 2,058
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Are we ever going to have a 3 speed fixed hub on the market?

Has anyone heard anymore news? I've seen the same web blogs over and over again. I saw the photos. I don't think it actually exists, or even functions.

Perhaps we should all start a negative PR campaign against the folks promising this wonderful re-creation. I mean if they aren't going to tell us why it is not on the market, one can only speculate that the actual hub is garbage. Or is the idea too cost prohibitive to produce?

Perhaps it would be cheaper in the long run to find an original 3 speed fixed hub owner and have a machine shop produce a replica. Surely there is a lonely old machinist waiting for the challenge of a lifetime.

This is getting old. I want my goddamn three speed fixed.
SoreFeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-09, 09:09 PM   #2
sp00ki
partly metal, partly real
 
sp00ki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Philadelphia.
Bikes: Hummer H2
Posts: 3,597
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i want the indoor velodrome in philadelphia.
i wonder if the same guys were responsible for both projects...
sp00ki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-09, 09:16 PM   #3
Dveler
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The 2009 catalog has it.
Dveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-09, 09:24 PM   #4
thebigdeadwaltz
ʇɥǝqıƃpǝɐpʍɐlʇz
 
thebigdeadwaltz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Worcester, MA
Bikes:
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been talking with friends who work at shops and the word is that Sturmey Archer is coming out with a three speed fixed hub in the next few months. I know it's hearsay, but it seems very real and I'm very psyched.
thebigdeadwaltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-09, 09:26 PM   #5
kyselad
extra bitter
 
kyselad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Bikes: Miyata 210, Fuji Royale II, Bridgestone Kabuki, Miyata Ninety
Posts: 1,560
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Are you serious? This hub is in the pipeline and likely already manufactured and just awaiting distribution. Now that it's super-close and obviously going to happen, you're complaining about waiting a few more weeks for a hub that hasn't been manufactured for many decades?
kyselad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-09, 09:52 PM   #6
SoreFeet
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 2,058
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yeah I'm complaining because with that hub I could keep with with the carbon clad roadies and be a self proclaimed bad ass. You damn right I'm complaining
SoreFeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-09, 10:00 PM   #7
steppinthefunk 
Designer
 
steppinthefunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 1,347
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You just missed one on ebay...
Vintage Sturmey Archer. Starting bid was at $349.00 though:
http://cgi.ebay.com/STURMEY-ARCHER-V...1%7C240%3A1318
__________________
steppinthefunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-09, 11:15 PM   #8
JacoKierkegaard
Fixed-gear roadie
 
JacoKierkegaard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Wilmington, NC
Bikes: 2008 Masi Speciale Fixed
Posts: 1,048
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
They've already made functioning prototypes, put it in the catalog, and generated a lot of interest in it. The hard work's done, they're morons if they don't release it now.
JacoKierkegaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-09, 07:48 AM   #9
JohnDThompson 
Old fart
 
JohnDThompson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Appleton WI
Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.
Posts: 16,764
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steppinthefunk View Post
You just missed one on ebay...
Vintage Sturmey Archer. Starting bid was at $349.00 though:
http://cgi.ebay.com/STURMEY-ARCHER-V...1%7C240%3A1318
That's the 1950 "Made in England" model, not the 2009 "Made in Taiwan" model.
JohnDThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-09, 08:16 AM   #10
sp00ki
partly metal, partly real
 
sp00ki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Philadelphia.
Bikes: Hummer H2
Posts: 3,597
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
jesus christ those things are ridiculous. how much do they weigh? are they loud?

ed:
http://sunrace-sturmeyarcher.blogspo...r-3-speed.html

hm.

i see this being huge in the never-going-to-be-a-pro-but-i-spend-like-one cycling market. you know, the guys who say fixed gears are stupid "unless you ride one to train" (because they read about lance training fixed on chris charmichael's blog)... they've always been meaning to build up a fixed gear "training" bike (mind you-- they don't race), but deep inside were too soft.
this gives them a huge out-- the ability to say they ride fixed ("like lance, not those loser kids with the jeans") without having to ride a single gear ratio up climbs.

or maybe i'm missing something... who would benefit from this type of hub? i always figured those who ride fixed do so because they enjoy the idea of being responsible for every ounce of velocity behind their bicycle (want speed? spin faster. want to climb better? ride more hills.)
something's confusing about this. if you want a geared bicycle, wouldn't you then switch to your road bike?

Last edited by sp00ki; 03-29-09 at 08:23 AM.
sp00ki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-09, 08:20 AM   #11
darksiderising
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Rohnert Park, CA
Bikes: Pake track, Soma DoubleCross, LeMond Etape, Maruishi RoadAce 303
Posts: 1,248
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Come on, people! There's already been several threads about the release of this hub.

Sturmey Archer S3X Fixed Gear Hub Availability?
darksiderising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-09, 09:27 AM   #12
JacoKierkegaard
Fixed-gear roadie
 
JacoKierkegaard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Wilmington, NC
Bikes: 2008 Masi Speciale Fixed
Posts: 1,048
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp00ki View Post
or maybe i'm missing something... who would benefit from this type of hub? i always figured those who ride fixed do so because they enjoy the idea of being responsible for every ounce of velocity behind their bicycle (want speed? spin faster. want to climb better? ride more hills.)
something's confusing about this. if you want a geared bicycle, wouldn't you then switch to your road bike?
I could definitely see myself building a bike with one of these someday. Variable gears would come in handy for things like rides with regular roadies, or rides where you'd want a lower gear for hilly areas but a higher gear for speed on the flats... basically all the reasons a geared bike is cool. I'd like to be equipped for those situations, but I also really like the feel of a fixed drivetrain. Since you normally can't have both, this hub is kind of a have-your-cake-and-eat-it-too type solution.
JacoKierkegaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-09, 11:20 AM   #13
operator
cab horn
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Toronto
Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione
Posts: 28,306
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacoKierkegaard View Post
I could definitely see myself building a bike with one of these someday. Variable gears would come in handy for things like rides with regular roadies, or rides where you'd want a lower gear for hilly areas but a higher gear for speed on the flats... basically all the reasons a geared bike is cool. I'd like to be equipped for those situations, but I also really like the feel of a fixed drivetrain. Since you normally can't have both, this hub is kind of a have-your-cake-and-eat-it-too type solution.
Which really begs the question. Are you riding fixed just to be a hipster then? Because if you need more than one gear, why the hell aren't you riding a road bike. Which was made for that specific purpose?

Besides the novelty factor, I can't really tell why you would need a 3 speed fixed hub.
operator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-09, 11:21 AM   #14
operator
cab horn
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Toronto
Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione
Posts: 28,306
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp00ki View Post

or maybe i'm missing something... who would benefit from this type of hub? i always figured those who ride fixed do so because they enjoy the idea of being responsible for every ounce of velocity behind their bicycle (want speed? spin faster. want to climb better? ride more hills.)
something's confusing about this. if you want a geared bicycle, wouldn't you then switch to your road bike?
I don't like you spooki, but +1 to this.
operator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-09, 11:49 AM   #15
JacoKierkegaard
Fixed-gear roadie
 
JacoKierkegaard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Wilmington, NC
Bikes: 2008 Masi Speciale Fixed
Posts: 1,048
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by operator View Post
Which really begs the question. Are you riding fixed just to be a hipster then? Because if you need more than one gear, why the hell aren't you riding a road bike. Which was made for that specific purpose?

Besides the novelty factor, I can't really tell why you would need a 3 speed fixed hub.
Heh. I'm pretty sure the only thing hipsterish about me is the fact that I ride a fixed gear.

But still, doesn't the fact that plenty of people have and enjoy both fixed gears and regular road bikes kind of contradict your argument? They're just two different kinds of riding, and if I can take things I like about both and combine them into one bike, am I "selling out" in some way or merely exploring another way to enjoy cycling?

Since you seem to want me to justify my reason for thinking the S3X is cool, here goes: I started out commuting to class on a janky Wal-Mart MTB but discovered that I really enjoyed riding. My biggest love was going fast on pavement, so I decided that when I got a proper bike I would get a road bike. Furthermore, I pretty much never shifted on my old bike, I just threw it in top gear and left it there, so I figured why not try a ss/fg so I'd have fewer extraneous parts to worry about and/or maintain. So I decided to get a fixed gear road bike, which... see signature.

Now that I'm doing a lot of riding, I've started to see now how multiple gears would be useful in some situations, especially now that I'm getting ready to start trying to hang with my university's cycling club who frequently ride faster than I'm able to pull off right now on the fixed gear. Still, I do love the feel of the fixed drivetrain, the fact that it gives me a backup option in case something goes wrong with the brakes and the fact that it makes me keep pedaling at all times (I ride a lot for exercise), so if there were a product that would let me retain that while giving me a couple more gearing options for performance, wouldn't that be a pretty cool thing?

Last edited by JacoKierkegaard; 03-29-09 at 11:55 AM.
JacoKierkegaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-09, 12:25 PM   #16
kwena
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by operator View Post
Which really begs the question. Are you riding fixed just to be a hipster then? Because if you need more than one gear, why the hell aren't you riding a road bike. Which was made for that specific purpose?

Besides the novelty factor, I can't really tell why you would need a 3 speed fixed hub.
With all due respect I think you are confusing two concepts, FG and SS. FG and gears are *not* mutually exclusive. It just so happens that right now most FG is also SS, but thats just an accident of history. So no, if you like FG and you want gears, a road bike is not the answer.
kwena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-09, 12:36 PM   #17
Geordi Laforge
Large Member
 
Geordi Laforge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 1,497
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If I'm riding hills with gears, I think I'd like to be to coast down the descents.
Geordi Laforge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-09, 01:00 PM   #18
kwena
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geordi Laforge View Post
If I'm riding hills with gears, I think I'd like to be to coast down the descents.
For me the ultimate would be a hub which would allow me to switch between freewheel and fixed on the fly so that I could ride fixed on flats and uphill and freewheel down steep descents. The closest to such a device so far is the "Fixed and Free" hub from SRAM but its not very practical, you have to insert a screwdriver and rotate it to change.
kwena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-09, 01:09 PM   #19
darksiderising
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Rohnert Park, CA
Bikes: Pake track, Soma DoubleCross, LeMond Etape, Maruishi RoadAce 303
Posts: 1,248
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by operator View Post
Which really begs the question. Are you riding fixed just to be a hipster then? Because if you need more than one gear, why the hell aren't you riding a road bike. Which was made for that specific purpose?

Besides the novelty factor, I can't really tell why you would need a 3 speed fixed hub.
Perhaps I ride a fixed gear on some rides because of different reasons than you, but here's some reasons why I like it and do it:
-I like the connected feel with the drivetrain. It feels like I am part of the machine, not just driving it.
-I like being able to regulate my speed with my legs.
-My fixed gear has dramatically improved my pedal stroke.
-It's fun not being able to coast some times.

A multiple-geared fixed hub will still offer me all of these.

Your argument is like telling someone with a multi-geared hub w/ coaster brake that they should either be riding a SS w/ coaster brake or a fully geared bike.

Additionally, most of us do ride road bikes. They just happen to have a single gear w/ or w/o coasting ability and many of them have track ends.

I'm assuming that you ride a road bike with a ss/fixed drivetrain because otherwise it would be a track bike. If it's a track bike, I'd have to assume that you ride it exclusively on the track, as it was made for that specific purpose.
darksiderising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-09, 03:40 PM   #20
operator
cab horn
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Toronto
Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione
Posts: 28,306
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by darksiderising View Post
I'm assuming that you ride a road bike with a ss/fixed drivetrain because otherwise it would be a track bike. If it's a track bike, I'd have to assume that you ride it exclusively on the track, as it was made for that specific purpose.
Nice try, but unfortunately I ride a road bike conversion. The whole point of riding fixed, is so that you have one gear, if you're adding them back in - what the flip is the point? That's sort of what i'm getting at. Secretly you guys want to ride geared bikes, I know it.
operator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-09, 03:58 PM   #21
jollysnowman
my hubs are dirty
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Austin, TX
Bikes: Nishiki Olympic, Bridgestone RB-2 (sold!), Bridgestone MB-5, Schwinn Le Tour, Handsome XOXO
Posts: 148
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by operator View Post
Nice try, but unfortunately I ride a road bike conversion. The whole point of riding fixed, is so that you have one gear, if you're adding them back in - what the flip is the point? That's sort of what i'm getting at. Secretly you guys want to ride geared bikes, I know it.
I've been lurking bikeforums for a while, and haven't ever posted.

So my first contribution will be this: Single speed bicycles and fixed gear bicycles are not the same. Get that into your head.
jollysnowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-09, 04:33 PM   #22
old scratch
Banned.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Astoria NY
Bikes: fixed iro jamie roy
Posts: 184
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp00ki View Post

or maybe i'm missing something... who would benefit from this type of hub? i always figured those who ride fixed do so because they enjoy the idea of being responsible for every ounce of velocity behind their bicycle

i just think it is fun being directly connected to the drivetrain. that doesnt mean i dont occasionally want an different gear for a hill.

also the idea of being "responsible for velocity" is odd. road bike riders have to pedal to move as well.
old scratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-09, 04:34 PM   #23
old scratch
Banned.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Astoria NY
Bikes: fixed iro jamie roy
Posts: 184
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by operator View Post
Nice try, but unfortunately I ride a road bike conversion. The whole point of riding fixed, is so that you have one gear, if you're adding them back in - what the flip is the point? That's sort of what i'm getting at. Secretly you guys want to ride geared bikes, I know it.
i like to spin my back wheel backwards, it is fun.
old scratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-09, 04:36 PM   #24
Geordi Laforge
Large Member
 
Geordi Laforge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 1,497
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by operator View Post
Secretly you guys want to ride geared bikes, I know it.
bingo.
Geordi Laforge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-09, 05:33 PM   #25
silver_ghost
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 433
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't understand why some people like to ride bikes with 20 inch wheels back and forth in empty pools.
I don't understand why some people like to dress up in spandex twice a week and ride bikes that cost more than my net worth.
I don't even totally get why someone would want to put on a full face helmet and bomb down the side of a mountain on a 50 pound bike.

Thankfully, I can see that these folks are having fun on their bikes so I don't let it bother me. I sure wouldn't presume to know "the point" of any particular aspect of cycling, either.
silver_ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:25 PM.