Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27

Thread: rim machining

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    rim machining

    Ive been looking for celeste aerospokes and all that i can find are non machined. Is there some way i could machine them myself or have a bike shop do it for me? Would putting some sandpaper on the break pad and riding it around for a little work or just kill it? Would using breaks on a non machined aerospoke be advisable?

  2. #2
    Senior Member howl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    detroit
    Posts
    173
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikaaay View Post
    Would putting some sandpaper on the break pad and riding it around for a little work or just kill it?

  3. #3
    Crips Rollin on 20s LUUUKE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    39
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you might as well throw some lighter fluid on and light that thing to hell while youre at it

  4. #4
    cab horn
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    1987 Bianchi Campione
    Posts
    28,295
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what's a break pad
    Mes compaingnons cui j'amoie et cui j'aim,... Me di, chanson.

  5. #5
    Old fart JohnDThompson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Appleton WI
    My Bikes
    Several, mostly not name brands.
    Posts
    13,107
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikaaay View Post
    Ive been looking for celeste aerospokes and all that i can find are non machined. Is there some way i could machine them myself or have a bike shop do it for me? Would putting some sandpaper on the break pad and riding it around for a little work or just kill it? Would using breaks on a non machined aerospoke be advisable?
    Machined sidewalls on rims are a relatively recent fashion, done for cosmetic reasons more than anything else. Most of my wheels have non-machined rims; some are over 30 years old and still going strong.

  6. #6
    Comanche Racing PedallingATX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Deep in the heart of Texas
    My Bikes
    Presto NJS build, Specialized Allez Pro w/ full Dura Ace and Ksyrium SLs, 1990something Specialized Sirrus
    Posts
    2,822
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you didn't get an aerospoke you wouldn't have this problem.
    go get some celeste colored Deep Vs

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    401
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    aren't the colored aerospokes just powdercoated over the machined?

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnDThompson View Post
    Machined sidewalls on rims are a relatively recent fashion, done for cosmetic reasons more than anything else. Most of my wheels have non-machined rims; some are over 30 years old and still going strong.
    its not for aesthetics, its to have a reliable,consistent breaking surface. and i dont want black steaks.
    anyone know of a place that sells machined celeste aerospokes?

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Patricky View Post
    aren't the colored aerospokes just powdercoated over the machined?
    yep, im pretty sure

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh hmm should i just get a rear celeste aerospoke and a machined deep v for the front?
    or run breaks on the non machined aerospoke
    i can only afford one aerospoke right now...
    and i heard its bad to use aerospokes on the rear wheel of a fixie because of the torsional load? that true?
    sorry for triple posting..

  11. #11
    Senior Member Yellowbeard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    735
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikaaay View Post
    and i dont want black steaks.
    Better skip the lighter fluid, then.

    Do you want some breaks with your steaks?

    Also, for your reading pleasure: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/machined-rims.html
    I'll eat it first.

  12. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yellowbeard View Post
    Better skip the lighter fluid, then.

    Do you want some breaks with your steaks?

    Also, for your reading pleasure: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/machined-rims.html
    yeah burnt steak gives you cancer, duh.
    so this article is saying its ok to use breaks on non machined rims?

  13. #13
    Senior Member Yellowbeard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    735
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikaaay View Post
    yeah burnt steak gives you cancer, duh.
    so this article is saying its ok to use breaks on non machined rims?
    Of course it's ok, why wouldn't it be?
    I'll eat it first.

  14. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    13
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so what's the consequence of running a brake on a non-machined dp18?

  15. #15
    Comanche Racing PedallingATX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Deep in the heart of Texas
    My Bikes
    Presto NJS build, Specialized Allez Pro w/ full Dura Ace and Ksyrium SLs, 1990something Specialized Sirrus
    Posts
    2,822
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How many times is this going to come up? It IS okay to use breaks on non-machined rims if those rims are anodized. If they are powdercoated (like any celeste rim) it will just smear everything up and look disgusting. I JUST bought a pair of celeste Deep Vs like a week ago and got them machined b/c I knew I would want a breaking surface and running breaks on those powdercoated rims would just be a mess.

    You CAN get celeste aerospokes w/ machined sidewalls. Just call the people that have the non-machined ones and ask them to do it for you. It's that simple.

    People always make the comment: Rim machining is a recent fashion bla bla bla. This is true. Painted rims are also a recent fashion. If you want to use painted/powdercoated rims: GET A MACHINED BREAKING SURFACE. if you are getting a rim that is anodized or not colored at all, you're probably okay without getting it machined.
    skinnytire

  16. #16
    Senior Member Yellowbeard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    735
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PedallingATX View Post
    How many times is this going to come up? It IS okay to use breaks on non-machined rims if those rims are anodized. If they are powdercoated (like any celeste rim) it will just smear everything up and look disgusting. I JUST bought a pair of celeste Deep Vs like a week ago and got them machined b/c I knew I would want a breaking surface and running breaks on those powdercoated rims would just be a mess.

    You CAN get celeste aerospokes w/ machined sidewalls. Just call the people that have the non-machined ones and ask them to do it for you. It's that simple.

    People always make the comment: Rim machining is a recent fashion bla bla bla. This is true. Painted rims are also a recent fashion. If you want to use painted/powdercoated rims: GET A MACHINED BREAKING SURFACE. if you are getting a rim that is anodized or not colored at all, you're probably okay without getting it machined.
    I'm almost convinced that people keep on saying "breaks" just to piss the other people off.
    I'll eat it first.

  17. #17
    Don't really have a bike. craigcraigcraig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Boulder CO
    Posts
    3,335
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol can we start a "break" count?

  18. #18
    everyday I'm hustlin' brandonspeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Portland, OR
    My Bikes
    Surly Crosscheck, Surly Steamrolla
    Posts
    453
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikaaay View Post
    its not for aesthetics, its to have a reliable,consistent breaking surface
    Oh, I see. So you want a practical front wheel.
    You better look elsewhere than the aerospoke then.

    Quote Originally Posted by mikaaay View Post
    black steaks
    me too.
    "I think it’s dumb when you take the inherently fun like riding bikes and singing songs and say they’re not for everyone as if for your whole life you were cool as $h!t."

    -Bomb the Music Industry!

  19. #19
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PedallingATX View Post
    How many times is this going to come up? It IS okay to use breaks on non-machined rims if those rims are anodized. If they are powdercoated (like any celeste rim) it will just smear everything up and look disgusting. I JUST bought a pair of celeste Deep Vs like a week ago and got them machined b/c I knew I would want a breaking surface and running breaks on those powdercoated rims would just be a mess.

    You CAN get celeste aerospokes w/ machined sidewalls. Just call the people that have the non-machined ones and ask them to do it for you. It's that simple.

    People always make the comment: Rim machining is a recent fashion bla bla bla. This is true. Painted rims are also a recent fashion. If you want to use painted/powdercoated rims: GET A MACHINED BREAKING SURFACE. if you are getting a rim that is anodized or not colored at all, you're probably okay without getting it machined.
    whered you or the people you bought the deep v from get it machined?

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    289
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only place that can machine something, is a FARKING machine shop damn it!

    And also, why do you want an aerospoke? I like how it's come down to "oh ****, where should I put my aerospoke? front or rear?!" like you HAVE to get an aerospoke, and can only get one.

  21. #21
    No plan. peabodypride's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    2,744
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oldfolksmashers View Post
    The only place that can machine something, is a FARKING machine shop damn it!

    And also, why do you want an aerospoke? I like how it's come down to "oh ****, where should I put my aerospoke? front or rear?!" like you HAVE to get an aerospoke, and can only get one.
    It doesn't take a machine shop to machine a sidewall. If you tried to go to a modern computer-driven machine shop and asked to have a sidewall machined they'd probably laugh you out.

  22. #22
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oldfolksmashers View Post
    The only place that can machine something, is a FARKING machine shop damn it!

    And also, why do you want an aerospoke? I like how it's come down to "oh ****, where should I put my aerospoke? front or rear?!" like you HAVE to get an aerospoke, and can only get one.
    goddamn is the only thing you guys like to do on this forum flame?
    give me a link to somewhere that sell rear celeste aerospokes then. and yes i tried google. and no i dont want to buy used.

  23. #23
    Comanche Racing PedallingATX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Deep in the heart of Texas
    My Bikes
    Presto NJS build, Specialized Allez Pro w/ full Dura Ace and Ksyrium SLs, 1990something Specialized Sirrus
    Posts
    2,822
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    go to ebay. I saw some on there from Bell's bike shop. Also, why do you guys care about "break." I am an English Rhetoric (creative writing) major and I don't even notice when it happens. As much as I try to avoid it, sometimes when I am typing quickly my brain just jumps to the most commonly spelled version of the word: break. Maybe once I'm on BF for longer, brake will become the default Until then, it's really not that big of a deal. And yes, I make good grades.

    Edit: As much as I wish this misspelling was intentional, I am not that clever. And honestly, the last thing I want to do is to piss off more BF members...
    skinnytire

  24. #24
    Don't really have a bike. craigcraigcraig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Boulder CO
    Posts
    3,335
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol

  25. #25
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sorry i still havnt learned english completely since i moved from italy 5 years ago. yes i meant brake not break. and ive decided not to use brakes at all because my skidding abilities are sufficient. and i dont live in a heavily populated/trafficky area(kansas...).
    thank you to those who have actually helped
    end discussion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •