Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
Results 151 to 175 of 201

Thread: Wabi Cycles

  1. #151
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    15
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My special should be coming on Friday....

  2. #152
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    33
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fixin2ride View Post
    My special should be coming on Friday....
    Congrats! Be sure to post a pic.

  3. #153
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    15
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wabi Special in Anthracite came in yesterday! Love it! Mini review to come...


  4. #154
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    203
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great looking bike. I changed out the tires as I found the Kenda were harsh riding. I do long road rides on rough chip sealed roads. I have short fingers so I changed the brake levers to Sram 500 alloy Single Speed. I was having trouble with the saddle tilt slipping. I borrow some anti slip cream and really tightened the bolt and it is working great. The chain didn't wear well so keep an eye on it for wear. Have fun. I rode 50 today with geared riders and kept up fine. It was a lot of fun.

  5. #155
    Senior Member thewilson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    MA
    My Bikes
    Wad of bees special
    Posts
    601
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great lookin bike, @fixin2ride, Welcome to the Anthracite club.

  6. #156
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    33
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice @fixin2ride! Why did you choose the Special over the Classic? Just asking because that's where I am in the decision process.

  7. #157
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    15
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bowzette View Post
    Great looking bike. I changed out the tires as I found the Kenda were harsh riding. I do long road rides on rough chip sealed roads
    The Kendra tires are kind of harsh... what kind of tires do you recommend switching to?

    Quote Originally Posted by 95strat View Post
    Very nice @fixin2ride! Why did you choose the Special over the Classic? Just asking because that's where I am in the decision process.
    I chose the Special over the Classic because I knew I was going to be keeping this bike for the long run and I don't like to go cheap on long term investments plus the lugs look amazing. I never had the Classic to do a side by side comparison so I can't comment on ride quality but Richard himself said there's very little difference. Whether or not lugged vs TIG is better in terms of long term durability is widely debated but the peace of mind was worth the price for me. I'd say if you're budget conscious, go for the Classic. Can't go wrong it's an amazing bike sans the costly lugs.

  8. #158
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    203
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the little Wabi that uses 650 wheels. There are only a few choices in tires in this size. I ride Vittoria Rubino Pro III that I buy on sale for $22-$25 dollars. Just bought 4 at $22 from Pro Bike Kit which includes shipping. These are 23 width tires. In the 700 wheel size you have all the usual options. I like the Conti 4000S. and the Conti Ultra Gator Skins. These are good performing road tires. If I were riding around an urban area most of the time I would probably go for a wider tire. Gator Skins would be on the list to consider. The lugs provide a really traditional look that Tig does not IMO. I have a custom steel lugged bike. Lugged bikes are repairable but that it expensive with new paint job. As inexpensive as Wabi frames are that shouldn't be a consideration. 95strat determine how you will use the bike. If it is a do it all bike, you will ride in the rain a lot, and maybe carry stuff with a rear rack and the idea of really wide tires has appeal, save $200 and buy the Classic. If you want a really traditional look, 23-28 tires will work for you and you don't want a rack, spend $200 more and get the Special. Make the decision on how you think you will use the bike. I don't think you will feel any difference between the bikes. You may or may not feel a little difference with the Lightning as the tubing is thinner and stiffer.

  9. #159
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    15
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bowzette View Post
    I have the little Wabi that uses 650 wheels. There are only a few choices in tires in this size. I ride Vittoria Rubino Pro III that I buy on sale for $22-$25 dollars. Just bought 4 at $22 from Pro Bike Kit which includes shipping. These are 23 width tires. In the 700 wheel size you have all the usual options. I like the Conti 4000S. and the Conti Ultra Gator Skins. These are good performing road tires. If I were riding around an urban area most of the time I would probably go for a wider tire. Gator Skins would be on the list to consider. The lugs provide a really traditional look that Tig does not IMO. I have a custom steel lugged bike. Lugged bikes are repairable but that it expensive with new paint job. As inexpensive as Wabi frames are that shouldn't be a consideration. 95strat determine how you will use the bike. If it is a do it all bike, you will ride in the rain a lot, and maybe carry stuff with a rear rack and the idea of really wide tires has appeal, save $200 and buy the Classic. If you want a really traditional look, 23-28 tires will work for you and you don't want a rack, spend $200 more and get the Special. Make the decision on how you think you will use the bike. I don't think you will feel any difference between the bikes. You may or may not feel a little difference with the Lightning as the tubing is thinner and stiffer.
    That's interesting I never thought of doing wider tires. So the special accepts up to 28? Does that slow you down considerably vs the stock 23? I'm guessing the trade-off is stability vs speed...

  10. #160
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    33
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @fixin2ride it seems the classic has more clearance for wider tires. I'm not sure about the Special.
    @bowzette I plan to use the Wabi commuting to work, which is primarily an urban ride. I think I will get a wider tire for that. Other than that I'll use the bike for recreational exercise.

  11. #161
    Senior Member hockeyteeth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Gainesville, Florida
    Posts
    1,756
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love riding 28mm tires on a commuting bike. It isn't much noticeably slower and rides far more comfortably. I found 32mm tires to be too slow-rolling for my preference.

  12. #162
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    203
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fixin2ride View Post
    That's interesting I never thought of doing wider tires. So the special accepts up to 28? Does that slow you down considerably vs the stock 23? I'm guessing the trade-off is stability vs speed...
    I have two geared road bikes and the Wabi. They all have 23 tires. I've never ridden tires wider than a 23. I only weigh 145 lbs and around 137 when fit. So i don't benefit as much from wider lower pressure tires than a bigger rider. 25s or wide rim 23s are is wide as I would have an interest in. For my size and type of riding I don't think I need or would want 28s. I could be wrong as I have never tried them.

  13. #163
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    203
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 95strat View Post
    @fixin2ride it seems the classic has more clearance for wider tires. I'm not sure about the Special.
    @bowzette I plan to use the Wabi commuting to work, which is primarily an urban ride. I think I will get a wider tire for that. Other than that I'll use the bike for recreational exercise.
    My "guess" is that the Classic will suit your purposes a bit better than the Special for the reasons stated above. They will ride the same and weigh the same. It is cheaper to Tig weld than to use lugs. So you will save $200 that you can use for better and wider tires, fenders, lights, and rack if you want to carry stuff. The Classic is Richard's biggest seller. Can't beat the price.

  14. #164
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    33
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bowzette View Post
    My "guess" is that the Classic will suit your purposes a bit better than the Special for the reasons stated above. They will ride the same and weigh the same. It is cheaper to Tig weld than to use lugs. So you will save $200 that you can use for better and wider tires, fenders, lights, and rack if you want to carry stuff. The Classic is Richard's biggest seller. Can't beat the price.
    Thanks for the feedback @bowzette. I'll continue to mull over it until I get the money together.

  15. #165
    degeared
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    481
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 95strat View Post
    @bowzette I plan to use the Wabi commuting to work, which is primarily an urban ride. I think I will get a wider tire for that. Other than that I'll use the bike for recreational exercise.
    My 2 cents is that if your commute and urban ride consists of more than usual abuse to the bike (i.e. locking up the bike outside, very rough roads, etc), I'd go with a Classic. The Special is too good-looking for that. My main reason for regretting not getting a Special is that my bike is only used for long road rides and always just kept in the garage. I just love the looks of the lugged frames, so pure vanity and nothing else. I think the ride will be very comparable and geo will be exactly the same.

  16. #166
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    33
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by palu View Post
    My 2 cents is that if your commute and urban ride consists of more than usual abuse to the bike (i.e. locking up the bike outside, very rough roads, etc), I'd go with a Classic. The Special is too good-looking for that. My main reason for regretting not getting a Special is that my bike is only used for long road rides and always just kept in the garage. I just love the looks of the lugged frames, so pure vanity and nothing else. I think the ride will be very comparable and geo will be exactly the same.
    That's a good 2 cents. The good part of me riding to work is I can take my bike inside and I'll avoid locking it up. I'll probably do longer rides on the weekend. I'm an aesthetics person as well. I'm drawn to the Special for it's looks. I'll probably place my order tomorrow. I have one more night to sleep on it.

  17. #167
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    15
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 95strat View Post
    That's a good 2 cents. The good part of me riding to work is I can take my bike inside and I'll avoid locking it up. I'll probably do longer rides on the weekend. I'm an aesthetics person as well. I'm drawn to the Special for it's looks. I'll probably place my order tomorrow. I have one more night to sleep on it.
    If you have the opportunity to take it inside instead of locking it to a bike rack and you're really drawn to aesthetics I'd say go for the Special. When I asked Richard for his recommendation and stated I'll be keeping it for the long run he suggested the Special. It's a little more expensive but long term investments are always worth it and down the line you'll never say dang I wish I'd had gotten the Classic instead. Plus the bike will technically pay for itself with the amount of gas you'd be saving by commuting instead of driving. The lugs are beautiful... I definitely have no regrets and after doing some research and going to the local cycle store anything above 28mm on a road bike would be overkill in my opinion. I think even 28 is going overboard but that's just me... Here are some more pics to help you decide





  18. #168
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    33
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fixin2ride View Post
    If you have the opportunity to take it inside instead of locking it to a bike rack and you're really drawn to aesthetics I'd say go for the Special. When I asked Richard for his recommendation and stated I'll be keeping it for the long run he suggested the Special. It's a little more expensive but long term investments are always worth it and down the line you'll never say dang I wish I'd had gotten the Classic instead. Plus the bike will technically pay for itself with the amount of gas you'd be saving by commuting instead of driving. The lugs are beautiful... I definitely have no regrets and after doing some research and going to the local cycle store anything above 28mm on a road bike would be overkill in my opinion. I think even 28 is going overboard but that's just me... Here are some more pics to help you decide
    I'm thinking the same way. I'll avoid buyers remorse going with the Special. Thanks for sharing the pics. I'm going for the same color as well.

    Thanks for your help @fixin2ride!

    I don't think I'll go anything over 25mm on tires. Richard suggested the larger the tires the less essence of the ride you get.

    Anyway, I may wait a week before I make my purchase. I'm going to borrow a friends MTB and ride my commute a few times just make sure I'm going to stick to the commitment before spending so much. My wife's suggestion

  19. #169
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    15
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 95strat View Post
    I'm thinking the same way. I'll avoid buyers remorse going with the Special. Thanks for sharing the pics. I'm going for the same color as well.

    Thanks for your help @fixin2ride!

    I don't think I'll go anything over 25mm on tires. Richard suggested the larger the tires the less essence of the ride you get.

    Anyway, I may wait a week before I make my purchase. I'm going to borrow a friends MTB and ride my commute a few times just make sure I'm going to stick to the commitment before spending so much. My wife's suggestion
    Definitely a good idea! This is my first fixed gear and I've noticed little nuances about not having a freewheel that make it more 'difficult' to ride. Difficult in the sense that it isn't second nature yet but once I get used to it I'm sure it will be no problem. Just simply coming to a stop and not being able to coast isn't as easy as it was on a MTB plus the first few rides hurt my back. Definitely come back and let us know what you decide!
    Last edited by fixin2ride; 08-26-13 at 09:10 PM.

  20. #170
    idc
    idc is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Virginia/DC
    My Bikes
    GT road, Kona Jake disc, Wabi Special FG, Swift Folder, beater 26" MTB, Genesis Day 00
    Posts
    1,419
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, so the Classic will fit wider tires?

    I have been looking at these bikes on/off for about 12 months but just haven't pulled the trigger as I already converted an older bike to SS/FG with an Eno wheel.

    The problem is I keep visiting the site every few weeks and coveting the Special's lugs (in burnt red) and the weight of the Lightning (none of my bikes weigh under 20 lbs). I sorta wish I'd bought when the lighter wheelset was available, but a part of me is also wishing there was a SSCX model!

  21. #171
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    33
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by idc View Post
    Hmm, so the Classic will fit wider tires?

    I have been looking at these bikes on/off for about 12 months but just haven't pulled the trigger as I already converted an older bike to SS/FG with an Eno wheel.

    The problem is I keep visiting the site every few weeks and coveting the Special's lugs (in burnt red) and the weight of the Lightning (none of my bikes weigh under 20 lbs). I sorta wish I'd bought when the lighter wheelset was available, but a part of me is also wishing there was a SSCX model!
    You can go as wide as a 28mm on the Special. I don't think I'd really need anything over a 25mm to be honest, but that's all personal preference. The classic will handle 32mm tires.

  22. #172
    idc
    idc is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Virginia/DC
    My Bikes
    GT road, Kona Jake disc, Wabi Special FG, Swift Folder, beater 26" MTB, Genesis Day 00
    Posts
    1,419
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 95strat View Post
    You can go as wide as a 28mm on the Special. I don't think I'd really need anything over a 25mm to be honest, but that's all personal preference. The classic will handle 32mm tires.
    For road riding yeah, but it'd be nice to be able to take one of these bikes offroad a little bit every now and then.

    Thanks for the info!

  23. #173
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    203
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by idc View Post
    Hmm, so the Classic will fit wider tires?

    I have been looking at these bikes on/off for about 12 months but just haven't pulled the trigger as I already converted an older bike to SS/FG with an Eno wheel.

    The problem is I keep visiting the site every few weeks and coveting the Special's lugs (in burnt red) and the weight of the Lightning (none of my bikes weigh under 20 lbs). I sorta wish I'd bought when the lighter wheelset was available, but a part of me is also wishing there was a SSCX model!
    I don't "need" another bike but I keep lusting after the burnt red Special!

  24. #174
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First time poster, have read up on the Wabi's on this forum, could use an opinion: I'm looking at the classic ($695) or the old aluminum/scandium Lightning ($850, they still have my size in stock). Any opinions on which is the better choice? I'll be using it for commuting, some fun local rides (in the bay area, which means occasional hills), and generally around town; it will see rain in the winter. My only other bike is a geared TIG-welded steel Diamondback Master TG, so I'm curious about Aluminum, but a bit worried about it not holding up to around town abuse (being Locked up, etc). Slight preference for the black color which is available on the Lightning, but that's not a huge issue.

    The only other complete bike I'm considering is an Iro Mark V Pro complete ($750 shipped, still in stock in my size), but I'm leaning towards one of the Wabis. Any insights appreciated. Thanks!

  25. #175
    Veteran Racer TejanoTrackie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ciudad de Vacas, Tejas
    My Bikes
    28 frames + 73 wheels
    Posts
    7,653
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmcl View Post
    First time poster, have read up on the Wabi's on this forum, could use an opinion: I'm looking at the classic ($695) or the old aluminum/scandium Lightning ($850, they still have my size in stock). Any opinions on which is the better choice?
    The Scandium Lightning, hands down. I have the 650c wheel version, and it weighs only 15 lbs ! It rides just like a steel framed bike, but is much lighter. Also, you don't have to worry about rusting with an aluminum frame / carbon fork.
    What, Me Worry? - Alfred E. Neuman

    Quote Originally Posted by Dcv View Post
    I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •